Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

KoRMaK posted:

the edits are amazing

i mean, duh, but still worth posting

This could just represent her confronting Dr. Manhattan though, it doesn't prove they're in a relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Bread Set Jettison posted:

A narcissist doesn't actually need to seek approval from others, because they only need themselves.

Hmmmmmmmmmmph

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Any hints to the unmasked guy in LG's bunker?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
LG took the mask so he could infiltrate 7K and gently caress up their plan.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Wild T posted:

Keene obviously has access to classified information if he knows the truth about 11/2. It's not unfeasible that the US government has been researching contingency plans in the even that Manhattan ever went rogue, or that they've collected intelligence into Soviet research about the same.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I absolutely believe Trieu is involved. But it's not like the 7K doesn't already have some pretty powerful support from a lifetime Senator and Presidential candidate.
I'm guessing the 7K fail the same way Veidt failed and it's an anticlimax, and then we find out Trieu is the real villain in the same way Veidt is the villain at the moment of his triumph. Season 2 will explore whether the ends justified the means.

Fanfiction!

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really hope in the last episode Lube Man tries to catch a bullet but it slides right off his hand instead

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I thought of that, too. A narcissist is the opposite of how they described it. They absolutely need the attention; that's all they exist for. Sources: my former boss and also trump.

It sounds closer to egomania, though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

just another posted:

I'm guessing the 7K fail the same way Veidt failed and it's an anticlimax, and then we find out Trieu is the real villain in the same way Veidt is the villain at the moment of his triumph. Season 2 will explore whether the ends justified the means.

Fanfiction!

I hope Jeremy Irons at least gets the small triumph of laughing at them for trying the same thing he did, rather than getting clowned on again before presumably suffering some horrible final fate from Trieu.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

just another posted:

Fanfiction!

Joe Keene: and here’s my evil plan, which I will now explain to you while you are tied up and cannot escape (twirls mustache). Honey! Honey, come over and tell the FBI Agent about the conspiracy for a minute. She’s Dr Manhattan’s ex, she is gonna love this poo poo. I’m fixing lettuce sandwiches, who wants one? We launch in an hour, I dare you to stop me.

Trieu: What does the clock do? gently caress you, that’s what it does. Now go home and get your glowing blue shine box.

One of these people is better at villainy. But who?

just another
Oct 16, 2009

I mean my gut says it's the unaccountable technocrat industrialist gazillionaire but the government & media says it's the past-worshipping racist trailer trash so... Police state good...?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I wonder how Trieu knew about Manhattan?

just another
Oct 16, 2009

Maybe she nostalgia'd his memories.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
That would require Manhattan to willingly create Nostalgia and give it to her, unlikely

I bet she just has some science ray that detects his presence. She didn't know Manhattan was Cal, and seemed to expect Angela to not know about Manhattan. So she only knew vaguely where he was, not who he was. That to me suggests some kind of homing signal or detection science that isn't perfectly accurate.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

That would require Manhattan to willingly create Nostalgia and give it to her, unlikely

I bet she just has some science ray that detects his presence. She didn't know Manhattan was Cal, and seemed to expect Angela to not know about Manhattan. So she only knew vaguely where he was, not who he was. That to me suggests some kind of homing signal or detection science that isn't perfectly accurate.

Trieu downloaded all of Angela’s memories to her Elephant hard drive. She knows everything Angela knows.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Trieu: What does the clock do? gently caress you, that’s what it does.

This also describes Excalibur.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Trieu downloaded all of Angela’s memories to her Elephant hard drive. She knows everything Angela knows.

She is capable of knowing everything Angela knows, but she doesn't yet, or she wouldn't have shouted after Angela like "WHY DON'T YOU CARE ABOUT THIS?" while Angela just walked off because she already knew.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I dunno if Triue or Will actually knew who but maybe knew Angela knew or were just poking around

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The Sean posted:

I thought of that, too. A narcissist is the opposite of how they described it. They absolutely need the attention; that's all they exist for. Sources: my former boss and also trump.

It sounds closer to egomania, though.

Ive never viewed narcissist as only attention seeking, but more specifically expecting that people SHOULD give them attention because theyre perfect. They already have high self esteem, but any criticism is a slight against their world view. Thus they fixate on how wrong everyone else is and how correct they have always been (example being the president). So, less attention seeking and more assuming the world should give them what they want. "The world is better because of me and owes me something"

Where I think this shows is the conversation with the whole group saying something to the effect of "We can save the world with the right leadership." Also right before he does it his talk with his servants in the comics (Just me and the world). He's definitely vain, in his merchandising of his own hero image, but he is 100% ok with keeping a secret because he thinks he, the right leadership, saved the world. And then yes, the example everyone else brought up is he views himself as an equal to Dr M and thats the only time he doubts if he did the right thing.

That said, personallities like this arent one thing and a lot of these types of behaviors are all in a similar spectrum of personality disorders. Also Ozy in the comics is just a well written character so its hard to throw him in one box to define him.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Ive never viewed narcissist as only attention seeking, but more specifically expecting that people SHOULD give them attention because theyre perfect. They already have high self esteem, but any criticism is a slight against their world view. Thus they fixate on how wrong everyone else is and how correct they have always been (example being the president). So, less attention seeking and more assuming the world should give them what they want. "The world is better because of me and owes me something"

The Mayo Clinic posted:

Narcissistic personality disorder — one of several types of personality disorders — is a mental condition in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for excessive attention and admiration, troubled relationships, and a lack of empathy for others. But behind this mask of extreme confidence lies a fragile self-esteem that's vulnerable to the slightest criticism.

(Source)

Narcissists generally want you to think that they have excellent self-esteem and no need for affirmation from others, but it's exactly the opposite. Narcissists are people with weak senses of who they are and why they're important, so they depend on feedback from others.

The type of person you're describing is probably real, but it's totally the opposite of a narcissist.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 6, 2019

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Civilized Fishbot posted:

(Source)

Narcissists generally want you to think that they have excellent self-esteem and no need for affirmation from others, but it's exactly the opposite. Narcissists are people with weak senses of who they are and why they're important, so they depend on feedback from others.

The type of person you're describing is probably real, but it's totally the opposite of a narcissist.

Ah, well thanks. I misunderstood it. So yeah, egomanic/megalomaniac or whatever the equivalent was I guess my read on Ozy

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 6, 2019

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Watchmen getting some WGA noms for Drama Series and New Series. Probably a shoe in for some Globe and Emmy noms at this point.
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/writers-guild-awards-2020-tv-nominations-1203426148/

Its ratings have also been pretty great. Its HBOs biggest new show since Big Little Lies.
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/hbo-watchmen-ratings-1203425067/

Im so elated this show is killing it. I had to fend off a lot of holier than thou shithead comic nerds who cursed this show and hoped for its demise the second it was announced. Theyve been quiet since its premiere and thematic focus were revealed because theyre perfect targets for its politics and I think they secretly hate how well its doing.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Oh wait, can we do some crossover watchmen stuff with lines from Frasier?

Marty strikes me as the kinda guy who may overlay onto Rorschach, meanwhile Frasier and Niles... Well you know who

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Would for sure love to see Frasier and Niles trapped in a weird posh dimension with a bunch of idiots.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

AccountSupervisor posted:

Watchmen getting some WGA noms for Drama Series and New Series. Probably a shoe in for some Globe and Emmy noms at this point.
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/writers-guild-awards-2020-tv-nominations-1203426148/

Its ratings have also been pretty great. Its HBOs biggest new show since Big Little Lies.
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/hbo-watchmen-ratings-1203425067/

Im so elated this show is killing it. I had to fend off a lot of holier than thou shithead comic nerds who cursed this show and hoped for its demise the second it was announced. Theyve been quiet since its premiere and thematic focus were revealed because theyre perfect targets for its politics and I think they secretly hate how well its doing.

My brother in law is one of those (kinda - he’s a purist about nerd poo poo but has softened a bit on that recently) but he’s heard good things from me and one of his friends so now he’s gonna check it out. He wanted me to watch the Mandalorian and I didn’t like it so maybe he’ll say he doesn’t like Watchmen out of spite. I think he’ll secretly like it though.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

MaoistBanker posted:

FADE IN - Dan Dreiberg (late 60s, dad bod but ruggedly handsome for his age) jacking it in a federal prison cell

shouting "YOU'RE LOCKED IN HERE WITH ME" at his dick

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Laurie will shoot and kill Adrian Veidt

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I wonder how Trieu knew about Manhattan?

She picked up on that spoiler poster

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'd like to explore Niles and Frasiere as Rorahach and Nite Owl, see if there's anything there

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

She is capable of knowing everything Angela knows, but she doesn't yet, or she wouldn't have shouted after Angela like "WHY DON'T YOU CARE ABOUT THIS?" while Angela just walked off because she already knew.

They both knew. She was saying "you're showing that you know, dummy."

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Niles and Frasier would both show up in the Ozymandius outfit and it would be awkwaaaaard.

Good joke
Roll on snare drum
Everybody laugh
Curtains

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Hey baby I know the blue god's hidin'
Nostalgia and symbolic eggs

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rorschach blots all over my face! What is a boy to do?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
All is well. Everybody stay calm. Nothing to see here.

https://twitter.com/HaleyWSYX6/status/1202751967342342144

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Gonz posted:

The meter only reads 3.6...not great, not terrible.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Gonz posted:

Everybody’s doing it, now we have Doctor Buckeye, THE quantum superhuman.

On December 17th, a skeleton with a huge beer gut appeared outside the perimeter fence.

It’s all a matter of putting the pieces together in the right sequence to vaporize Michigan.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Shittiest Millenium Clock ever.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

just another posted:

Fanfiction!
I'd be really into all the Dr. Manhattan moments we get in these next two episodes just completely mirroring the moments in the finale of Watchmen. Basically with Dr. Manhattan experiencing the comics and show's events simultaneously.

My prediction is that Trieu really is saving the world and whatever she's up to is a net good. My evidence here is two fold:

1) Things have been surprisingly straightforward in this show besides for the Manhattan reveal. Everyone just straight up says their plans. For example, Judd's death was set up as a Comedian-esque whodunnit, but it turns out that the murderer is the guy who confessed to it in the very first episode.

2) I think it's a clever flip on Veidt. The gag in Watchmen is that Veidt seems to be the most well-adjusted of the second-generation heroes in Watchmen, especially compared to Rorschach and the Comedian. But he does an incredibly morally reprehensible thing that even the Comedian can't deal with. Trieu on the other hand is depicted as incredibly off-putting. She's condescending, cold, doesn't follow social cues, and engages in some weird--but not necessarily amoral--poo poo. I think the gag at the end is that she really is the hero who saves the world despite being unlikable.

And I feel like that plays with the political slant of the show. Creating a female hero who is intentionally offputting and having to deal with her being right regardless.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Timeless Appeal posted:

And I feel like that plays with the political slant of the show. Creating a female hero who is intentionally offputting and having to deal with her being right regardless.

Sounds like how some people see Angela!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Timeless Appeal posted:

Veidt does an incredibly morally reprehensible thing that even the Comedian can't deal with.

It's been a while, but didn't the comic have a "Veidt was right" attitude? Maybe I just projected that on to it since I was 15 and thought it would be GOOD to prevent nuclear annihilation of our species

At its core, the comic is a product of the 1980s. Women exist to be Girlfriends (and stop existing when they become Wives) and a billionaire is inherently capable, and smart. The show is giving it the 2019 treatment by pointing out that women can actually have agency, billionaires can just be chucklefucks, and if you REALLY want to be the Most Capable Person in the World, you need to be a TRILLionaire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Yooooo