Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Or you could slap those lasers on a warhammer and have them do ~80 damage.

Also Warhammer is the best mech.

You can also mount the +10 damage snub ppcs for extra fun.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Eej posted:

I think another problem with getting really into Inner Sphere politics or whatever for a game is that all that old stuff is really, really Yellow Peril.

Battletech is in an exceptional need of a general reboot

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dramicus posted:

Or you could slap those lasers on a warhammer and have them do ~80 damage.

Also Warhammer is the best mech.

You can also mount the +10 damage snub ppcs for extra fun.

I like my Warhammer set up as a punchbot, but this is very tempting.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

with dual gauss you can take out turrets and vehicles bypassing the armor entirely. Im running 2 Marauders, 1 double gauss and one triple ER LL++
Dual gauss on the Marauder made it a bit less armored than I'd like and I've got a kingcrab just begging for those two rifles, which is why I'm looking for as many headcapper weapons as I can.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Another data point on teh issue of whether or not it's worth keeping lighter mechs.

Just pulled a 3.5 skull assassinate mission where I was limited to mechs of 60 tons or lighter. Non-FP, just a regular old mission. Looks like it's going to be a very well paying pain in the rear end.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ravenfood posted:

Dual gauss on the Marauder made it a bit less armored than I'd like and I've got a kingcrab just begging for those two rifles, which is why I'm looking for as many headcapper weapons as I can.

I looked at my build and realized that it only works because I have the -2 tons ++ versions. Without that 4 extra tons of armor I can see it not being very good. With them though you can fit all 4 jump jets and zip around the map jumping and firing every turn even on desert maps

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Cyrano4747 posted:

The thing is that Battletech has the Star Wars problem: the lore looks complicated, but in reality it's a mile wide an an inch deep. All of the really interesting stuff in inter-personal interactions. The Terran Hegemony really only exists as a generic "the old days" backdrop much the same way as the Republic in SW. Even the high political poo poo is intensely personal and based on the people. The 4th succession war isn't some grand political drama, it's the tale of Hans Davion dunking on everyone then marrying that hot German-ish chick so they can combine forces and dunk on everyone even harder. Even the major tech advances are tied up in that stuff. The Helm Memory core basically kicks off the renaissance that makes the 3049 IS actually be able to stand up to the Clan invasion, but the real story there is of the Grey Death Legion and, specifically, Grayson Carlyle building a merc company from literally a locust up to him curb stomping people in a highlander (via Shadowhawk and Marauder). The pivotal event of the entire 3025-3049 timeframe that most people associate pre-Clans BT with is basically someone's TT campaign.

That's a feature, not a bug.

No one plays Civilization expecting to re-enact real history. Even the Paradox games that try to start in semi-historical situations deviate from real history almost immediately. Having a paper thing backstory makes it easier to fit in whatever chaos the player inflicts on the universe, not harder. The fact that Battletech even has a backstory puts it ahead of most space 4X games. How in-depth is Master of Orion's backstory? How about Stellaris?

You can have a bunch of different starting eras. Retreat of the Terran Alliance, Age of War, Rise of the Star League, Reunification War, Amaris Civil War, First, Second, Third, Fourth Succession Wars, War of 3039, Clan Invasion, Fed-Com Civil War, Jihad, Dark Age.

Have some Clan based ones, if you like. Exodus, Operation Klondike, Golden Century, Invasion, Wars of Reaving. All probably in DLC, given Paradox and all. :shrug:

Heck, do it CK style and stress the importance of leaders and their relationships!

I'm cool with all that, as long as I can start in 2242 when the Terran Alliance says "gently caress this poo poo, I'm out." I want to pick a planet and start building an empire! Let me race to be the first to develop 'mechs or one of the first to steal them. Let me create my own star nation and see if I can keep democracy alive instead of reverting to space feudalism like everyone else. Let me smother the Combine in its crib but then have to deal with aggressive space Vikings out of Rasalhague instead. Let me go into the Age of War with eight great houses and four in the periphery. Let me try to save the Star League or try to prevent the Exodus. Let me win the Second Succession War and re-establish the Star League.

In short, let me have the Battletech universe as my playground, and let me do it with my capital on Kooken's Pleasure Pit!

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Pretty much all battletech lore is robot fights and reasons why people have robot fights and don't just nuke each other in space but still make giant robots and theres nothing wrong with that

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

jng2058 posted:

That's a feature, not a bug.

No one plays Civilization expecting to re-enact real history. Even the Paradox games that try to start in semi-historical situations deviate from real history almost immediately. Having a paper thing backstory makes it easier to fit in whatever chaos the player inflicts on the universe, not harder. The fact that Battletech even has a backstory puts it ahead of most space 4X games. How in-depth is Master of Orion's backstory? How about Stellaris?

You can have a bunch of different starting eras. Retreat of the Terran Alliance, Age of War, Rise of the Star League, Reunification War, Amaris Civil War, First, Second, Third, Fourth Succession Wars, War of 3039, Clan Invasion, Fed-Com Civil War, Jihad, Dark Age.

Have some Clan based ones, if you like. Exodus, Operation Klondike, Golden Century, Invasion, Wars of Reaving. All probably in DLC, given Paradox and all. :shrug:

Heck, do it CK style and stress the importance of leaders and their relationships!

I'm cool with all that, as long as I can start in 2242 when the Terran Alliance says "gently caress this poo poo, I'm out." I want to pick a planet and start building an empire! Let me race to be the first to develop 'mechs or one of the first to steal them. Let me create my own star nation and see if I can keep democracy alive instead of reverting to space feudalism like everyone else. Let me smother the Combine in its crib but then have to deal with aggressive space Vikings out of Rasalhague instead. Let me go into the Age of War with eight great houses and four in the periphery. Let me try to save the Star League or try to prevent the Exodus. Let me win the Second Succession War and re-establish the Star League.

In short, let me have the Battletech universe as my playground, and let me do it with my capital on Kooken's Pleasure Pit!

Look at this degenerate barbarian, not understanding the true center of the Star League belongs on Butte Hold.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Precision Shots from the Annihilator feel like I'm cheating lol, I just erased an Atlas instantly

e: A Warhammer too lol

The consecutive FP only let me take two pieces :negative:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 6, 2019

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

SpookyLizard posted:

Pretty much all battletech lore is robot fights and reasons why people have robot fights and don't just nuke each other in space but still make giant robots and theres nothing wrong with that

Dunno it really seems that they thought giant robot fights were cooler than WMD warfare and general civilizational collapse

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
What tonnage should I be looking to bring to the Bullshark flashpoint?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Groetgaffel posted:

The ultimate lance is four King Crabs, each carrying a pair of UAC20s.
Anyone trying to make me feel differently can go suck it.

4 Bull Sharks, now. With the M3 variant you get roughly 75 tons of total usable tonnage compared to roughly 65 on a King Crab. Plus 4 ballistic total along with 4 energy and 4 missiles. You can do some really dumb things like 4x LBX 2 and 4x LRM 10, or do over 600 damage with 4x LBX 2, 4x SRM 4, and 4x Medium Laser if you use ++ variants with boosted damage. The MAZ variant is the same total free tonnage as the King Crab, roughly, but with the Thumper, 4 total ballistic slots, 2 missile, and 4 energy. Right side torso has the Thumper and only 2 crits left so you can't use the missile and both energy hardpoints on that side. I love me some Krabs but the Bull Shark is just plain better mechanically. Hard to deny that it still wins aesthetically however.

Ravenfood posted:

What tonnage should I be looking to bring to the Bullshark flashpoint?

As heavy as you can, there's no tonnage limits that I can remember.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I just had the weirdest bug. Game crashed during a loading screen, trying to boot it back up made my PC BSOD and now the game just gets stuck on an eternal loading screen. :rip: Gonna try a fresh reinstall, the file integrity check said everything was okay.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Zebulon posted:

I love me some Krabs but the Bull Shark is just plain better mechanically. Hard to deny that it still wins aesthetically however.
And ultimately, isn't style the most important thing? :c00lbert:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

Another data point on teh issue of whether or not it's worth keeping lighter mechs.

Just pulled a 3.5 skull assassinate mission where I was limited to mechs of 60 tons or lighter. Non-FP, just a regular old mission. Looks like it's going to be a very well paying pain in the rear end.

There's also a 3-star mission that requires you use at least two Assaults. I don't know who is ever going to do that one.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I just discovered during the Hatchetman flashpoint that you now can't get Mechs on your team killed off and salvage the remaining parts.

And I was looking forward to making a Banshee hatchetbot too.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

Q_res posted:

WinGameStore has the base game for $9.59 and the Season Pass for $27.90 if any of you have been on the fence about any of those.

https://www.wingamestore.com/product/8345/BATTLETECH/

That's awful tempting. Is this store legit?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Eyespy posted:

That's awful tempting. Is this store legit?

Alchenar posted:

Wingamestore is legit.

Rule of thumb is that if they're on isthereanydeal then they're safe to buy from.

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.
Thanks for the advice last page guys. As it turns out I had a hilariously disastrous mission last night involving a nightmarish horde of light mechs and consistently bad shot rolls. Panther's PPC arm got bonked off by a firestarter and my best pilot was focused and cored by the other seven before she could even react. Ironman FUBAR'd, genuinely excited to restart and revenge-murder EVERYONE

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

anakha posted:

I just discovered during the Hatchetman flashpoint that you now can't get Mechs on your team killed off and salvage the remaining parts.

And I was looking forward to making a Banshee hatchetbot too.

You're not guaranteed to get the hatchet if the Hatchetman is destroyed. In my current campaign Matchstick somehow survived (and I got a total kill on all three enemy lances) so I don't know for sure if it's just lowered odds.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
What difficulty modifiers do y'all play at? I'm at 0.75 on this campaign, with lethality/no salvaging CT destroyed mechs, ironman, but with unequipped mechs unticked.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Norton the First posted:

What difficulty modifiers do y'all play at? I'm at 0.75 on this campaign, with lethality/no salvaging CT destroyed mechs, ironman, but with unequipped mechs unticked.

Same but hard lances, unequipped, and more common good Mechwarriors because you barely see them anyway and it's fun to see a decked out dude, puts me at. 95

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

.95. Rare skilled hires, slower exp, 5 pieces to salvage, mech destruction on CT kill, one or two additional things but no iron man. Gives a nice challenge but if I have a hell mission I can just say gently caress it and restart (or avoid entirely) rather than getting wiped and restarting. I still suffer casualties and don’t save scum for headshots or anything but it’s a good escape valve if a campaign I’ve put time into goes pear shaped badly.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
King Crab: Dual Gauss with SRM-12 backup, or dual AC20s? (I don't have any UACs or LBX better than 10 at the moment)

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Either are hilarious for different reasons. The gauss build gets extra tonnage for armor because you get 8 shots per ton instead of 5. But a ac20 srm24 crab leaping into battle was glorious and basically everything that battletech was meant to be filled into one package.

Edit: unless you run mission control. If youre running mission control your ammo requirements change dramatically because you never know when you will have 2 ally lance drop in with you and no enemy reinfircements, or when you will be all by your lonesome against 5 assault lances. Also they moved the spawn points so if you dont have atleast 1 jj on a mech you may be stuck on a hilltop with no way down

Stravag fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 6, 2019

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

King Crab: Dual Gauss with SRM-12 backup, or dual AC20s? (I don't have any UACs or LBX better than 10 at the moment)

Dual Gauss with ERMLs and SRMs makes for a good general-purpose machine. The KC starts out with less armor than an Atlas, so I tend to give it a longer reach to compensate.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Norton the First posted:

I always play at 1. Unequipped Mechs, iron man, lethality, cored Mechs are gone, and rare experienced hires.

Note that Iron Man is free points because if you're the scumming type you can reset to last save by manually closing the client. Rare hires is also free because they show up in significant numbers anyway, and unequipped Mechs is only not free in terms of the equipment you need because you'll spend time rejigging the loadout immediately anyway.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stravag posted:

Either are hilarious for different reasons. The gauss build gets extra tonnage for armor because you get 8 shots per ton instead of 5. But a ac20 srm24 crab leaping into battle was glorious and basically everything that battletech was meant to be filled into one package.

Edit: unless you run mission control. If youre running mission control your ammo requirements change dramatically because you never know when you will have 2 ally lance drop in with you and no enemy reinfircements, or when you will be all by your lonesome against 5 assault lances. Also they moved the spawn points so if you dont have atleast 1 jj on a mech you may be stuck on a hilltop with no way down

What's mission control?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Its a mod that changes up spawn locations and adds in a chance for additional allied or enemy lance in a mission. Its on mod nexus. Sometimes you start the mission in the middle of 3 lances all within combat range turn 1, sometimes you have allied lances that kill the enemy without you doing much more than lrm support. It takes the "bad intel" of some missions and makes it actually gently caress you levels of bad intel and if you think the base game is too predictable changes it up very well.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Azran posted:

I just had the weirdest bug. Game crashed during a loading screen, trying to boot it back up made my PC BSOD and now the game just gets stuck on an eternal loading screen. :rip: Gonna try a fresh reinstall, the file integrity check said everything was okay.

Welp, didn't work. Game's completely bricked and won't get pass a single loading screen, no matter what - campaign, skirmish, etc. Tried to load a game and after 5 minutes of loading it told me it had to restart the game because the mission changed but then it went back to endless loading. This is on an SSD too. :rip:

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Jedit posted:

I always play at 1. Unequipped Mechs, iron man, lethality, cored Mechs are gone, and rare experienced hires.

Note that Iron Man is free points because if you're the scumming type you can reset to last save by manually closing the client. Rare hires is also free because they show up in significant numbers anyway, and unequipped Mechs is only not free in terms of the equipment you need because you'll spend time rejigging the loadout immediately anyway.

I've tried to like unequipped mechs, because I feel like it's the way the game "should" be played, but I find it really unfun, especially in the early game. "Cool! I salvaged a Firestarter (twisted Firestarter)! Well, I have no access to flamers, guess I'll just load it up with MLs like everything else." Not to mention the week plus it takes to put things together.

I'm not huge on optimal ML/SRM-type builds anyway. I like PPCs, dammit.

I also have a weird soft spot for the Jenner, which is garbage, because it was such a great mech in MW2:M.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Azran posted:

Welp, didn't work. Game's completely bricked and won't get pass a single loading screen, no matter what - campaign, skirmish, etc. Tried to load a game and after 5 minutes of loading it told me it had to restart the game because the mission changed but then it went back to endless loading. This is on an SSD too. :rip:

1. have you modded the game before?

2. do other games work? the BSOD means something beyond the game itself hosed up. update video drivers etc. (especially on AMD -- I got a 5700 a little while ago and the "recommended WHQL" 19.9.2 drivers were having driver crashes with this and other games. the newer ones work fine.)

3. try this thing

Klyith posted:

Here's a thing to try in sequence:
1. Validate game files with steam. Turn off steam cloud saves. Quit steam.

2. In your steam folder, find userdata\<userid>\637090\remote\C0 & delete settings_cloud.sav. (Don't delete the subfolders, those are your campaigns.)

3. Open regedit and delete this item:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH\CachedSettings_h2706256392

(I think that's all the actually important steps of the "official" way to fix a hosed up game, which is to uninstall the whole thing and reinstall.)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Klyith posted:

1. have you modded the game before?

2. do other games work? the BSOD means something beyond the game itself hosed up. update video drivers etc. (especially on AMD -- I got a 5700 a little while ago and the "recommended WHQL" 19.9.2 drivers were having driver crashes with this and other games. the newer ones work fine.)

3. try this thing

Only mod I've added was Commander Portrait Loader, I never messed with mods before Heavy Metal. All other games work just fine and video drivers were the first thing I updated just in case. I took a look through the Paradox forums and I found the "how to cleanly uninstall BattleTech" video and I made sure to delete every folder including save games. For some reason I forgot I had steam cloud saves on :cripes:. I had no idea about the registry thing either, reinstalling now. We'll see how it goes. Thanks!

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
In the heavy metal loot crate you get after day one, what is the best mech you can get?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tarquinn posted:

In the heavy metal loot crate you get after day one, what is the best mech you can get?

If they come in the crate, probably the Vulcan or Assassin especially if you get a Coil-L to put on the Assassin. I've only ever gotten Phoenix Hawks though (well only both times) and they're pretty weak.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Tarquinn posted:

You can get either the PHX-1 Phoenix Hawk, the ASN-21 Assassin, or the VL-2T Vulcan. The all have their uses, but I feel that the best one of the three is the Vulcan. It's a naaaaaasty beast when loaded up with a full suite of support weapons, and makes for an excellent Backstabber as a result. That CQC Suite is dope.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The Assassin with a Coil-L will carry you through early game because of its innate ability to ignore evasion pips. Just popping Lights every other turn or so.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Rorahusky posted:

You can get either the PHX-1 Phoenix Hawk, the ASN-21 Assassin, or the VL-2T Vulcan. The all have their uses, but I feel that the best one of the three is the Vulcan. It's a naaaaaasty beast when loaded up with a full suite of support weapons, and makes for an excellent Backstabber as a result. That CQC Suite is dope.

CQC Suite and a COIL-S on a machine as fast as the Vulcan is a nice way to use a COIL-S until you can find a COIL-M or -L.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
The house Kurita final (probably) flashpoint level is absolutely bananas.
I've got 8 turns to get to 3 quite distant points to call an artillery strike in, through about 8 enemy mechs including a bull shark.

I just can't do it, I don't know how it expects me to. At least not without taking absolutely insane amounts of damage. Like I've got a Bull Shark, a King Crab, an Atlas and a Highlander all with decent setups but if I stop to try and blow stuff up I run out of time and I've got to split my group too. I just don't get it :/