Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

COOL CORN posted:

They were using long guns with 5.56 at point blank range, which has enough velocity to go through that first layer of siding on the truck, right on through the other side, and then through the next two cars’ windows.

The more I read about this the madder I get.

Yeah in any just society the guy from The Wire walks in like in Three Billboards, goes right up to these assholes and goes "gimme your gun and badge, get the hell out of my department" but that won't happen here will it? ACAB and gently caress this country.

EDIT

ACDAB?

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Dec 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Gorka is really mad about a black bond

Daniel Craig is in that movie and he plays James Bond and the trailer refers to him as 007. The black woman is another 00 agent (she might be the new 007; I don’t think it was clear). We are basically getting Old Man Bond.

Gorka dumb racist

Numlock posted:

Go outside and get some fresh air.

Also take a break from politics stuff for a bit.

Also lol no way trump wins in 2020. The Republicans have been getting spanked everywhere since 2016 because of him.

Don’t get complacent. The Electoral College makes the Presidential Election difficult to predict compared to other races. Trump could lose the Popular Vote by 10+ million and still win. There are 8-10 really important states that will decide it and we don’t have good polling data from them because we don’t know who the Dem candidate is. In many of those races the current polls have everyone in a dead heat.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Trump's base is economically comfortable suburban and exurban shitheads. You think they're gonna go buck wild for him? They're just gonna bitch on facebook.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
re: violent rhetoric

Discovered that in the county in which we just moved, they apparently post the political affiliation of the adults in the house via county run website (can't recall if Mrs. said it was GIS or otherwise). I'm not tinfoil-hat level paranoid, but I do now live in a very red district and the knowledge that that sort of thing is out there with the crap being said on Twitter et al about "dealing with the libs," is worrisome to a degree.

Protect ya neck, goons.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Trump seriously stated, and still likely believes, that there were over three million illegal votes cast for Clinton, and that the real numbers were a landslide victory.

He’ll do the exact same thing in 2020 to explain away a loss. Whether or not he actually does anything remains to be seen, but he will never, ever admit he lost.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Trump's base is economically comfortable suburban and exurban shitheads. You think they're gonna go buck wild for him? They're just gonna bitch on facebook.

its kinda. alot of the chud won't do poo poo and alot of the alt right is moving away from trump himself since the smarter ones want to outlast him and now a small civil war has happened over it.

Pants Donkey posted:

Trump seriously stated, and still likely believes, that there were over three million illegal votes cast for Clinton, and that the real numbers were a landslide victory.

He’ll do the exact same thing in 2020 to explain away a loss. Whether or not he actually does anything remains to be seen, but he will never, ever admit he lost.

he also genuinly believes he is genuinely loved in the US. his ego and age have melted the poo poo out of his brain.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
DONALD TRUMP tweeted "DO SOMETHING!"

But nothing happened...

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Private companies estimate 67000 jobs added, economists estimate 125000, phony government stats say 266000 added. We’re looking at a huge downward revision eventually.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Slowpoke! posted:

Daniel Craig is in that movie and he plays James Bond and the trailer refers to him as 007. The black woman is another 00 agent (she might be the new 007; I don’t think it was clear). We are basically getting Old Man Bond.

Gorka dumb racist

Lashana Lynch is supposed to be the new 007. It was stated as such once she was cast. They don't mention it in the trailer though (Bond just goes "You're a 00?") Which makes me wonder if it was a half measure to avoid angering the chuds further.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shammypants posted:

Private companies estimate 67000 jobs added, economists estimate 125000, phony government stats say 266000 added. We’re looking at a huge downward revision eventually.

The bullshitting will continue until Trump leaves office, the Sanders administration will then revert to using the real figures and immediately be blamed by the entire MSM for massive job losses

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Sir Lemming posted:

DONALD TRUMP tweeted "DO SOMETHING!"

But nothing happened...

Yeah, using our current constant level of white male aggrievement violence against the general public that's been happening around us for, Jesus 53+ years to justify the paranoia that THIS TIME the big Helter Skelter Race War will kick off... eh.

The reason I'm not going to work on November 4th isn't because I'm afraid the Monroevillians will seize downtown Pittsburgh and demand Trump be declared the winner.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he also genuinly believes he is genuinely loved in the US. his ego and age have melted the poo poo out of his brain.
Remember in 2017 how he carried a little printout of the electoral map (by district to make it look like a giant win) everywhere he went?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/WSJ/status/1202943587626946561

I hate that I am both glad people are being employed but scared this helps Trump be reelected

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/WSJ/status/1202943587626946561

I hate that I am both glad people are being employed but scared this helps Trump be reelected

They probably weren’t. Job numbers were recently revised down 500,000 over a few month period and that will happen again.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pants Donkey posted:

Remember in 2017 how he carried a little printout of the electoral map (by district to make it look like a giant win) everywhere he went?

he still does apparently.

DebtBeat
Oct 17, 2016
There was an active shooter at Naval Air Station in Pensacola this morning. Cool, normal country, I have family stationed there.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

DebtBeat posted:

There was an active shooter at Naval Air Station in Pensacola this morning. Cool, normal country, I have family stationed there.

A second navy facility hit in the same week? Wtf?

Edit: I wonder if this could be connected to trumps interference with UCMJ actions on those two warfighterscrimers.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Pants Donkey posted:

Even in 2017, up to a few months after the election DID HILLARY RIG THE ELECTIONS!?!?! was a conservative talking point, I'm assuming because no one expected Trump to win and that's literally all they had been prepared to talk about for months.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/aawayne/status/1202681227859378177?s=20

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Slowpoke! posted:

Don’t get complacent. The Electoral College makes the Presidential Election difficult to predict compared to other races. Trump could lose the Popular Vote by 10+ million and still win. There are 8-10 really important states that will decide it and we don’t have good polling data from them because we don’t know who the Dem candidate is. In many of those races the current polls have everyone in a dead heat.

Very much this. The public at large has little recognition of it, and even on these forums, but the handful of swing states are not reflecting national trends and remain strongly competitive. Given the fact that polling has tended to underestimate Don's support, right now Democrats are cruising for another smash democratic victory and electoral college loss.

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013
Is there an active shooter thread where we can discuss all the hosed up gun violence that law enforcement and domestic terrorists visit on this country?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Kaal posted:

Very much this. The public at large has little recognition of it, and even on these forums, but the handful of swing states are not reflecting national trends and remain strongly competitive. Given the fact that polling has tended to underestimate Don's support, right now Democrats are cruising for another smash democratic victory and electoral college loss.

Last I saw he was underwater in MI but ahead in WI, and I think still dead heat even in PA and OH. And FL we know is probably lost to the CHUDs still so....yeah. Be worried, and mobilize.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Shammypants posted:

They probably weren’t. Job numbers were recently revised down 500,000 over a few month period and that will happen again.

where are you getting this number from? the last few months were an upward revision, and the only 500k number i can find is bad reporting on the may 2019 benchmark

this isn't addressed at you, but at the thread: the reason the jobs number swings about and gets revised so much is that the preliminary data collection is a survey with a huge margin of error. as better data comes in, the government publishes more accurate figures. it takes time to collect this data. BLS under trump is no more or less dishonest than it would be under sanders

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I didn’t know about the Miramar shooting so I googled it and the first news article from a local paper had an embedded tweet saying ‘ITS A SHAME THE UPS DRIVER DIDNT EXERCISE HIS 2A RIGHTS’

gently caress this stupid country full of dumdums

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

VH4Ever posted:

Last I saw he was underwater in MI but ahead in WI, and I think still dead heat even in PA and OH. And FL we know is probably lost to the CHUDs still so....yeah. Be worried, and mobilize.

According to the Morning Consult map (https://morningconsult.com/tracking-trump-2/) he is:

MI -14
WI -14
PA -7
OH -5
FL +1

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

LeeMajors posted:

I didn’t know about the Miramar shooting so I googled it and the first news article from a local paper had an embedded tweet saying ‘ITS A SHAME THE UPS DRIVER DIDNT EXERCISE HIS 2A RIGHTS’

gently caress this stupid country full of dumdums

That poor UPS driver was a father of two covering the route for a coworker. But yeah lets blame him. Goddamn this country sucks.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Groovelord Neato posted:

According to the Morning Consult map (https://morningconsult.com/tracking-trump-2/) he is:

MI -14
WI -14
PA -7
OH -5
FL +1

Hmmm. OK. I realize now I hadn't checked those numbers in a little while. See now my paranoia wonders how accurate they are...

Still: be afraid, and mobilize, folks. Just do it.

BonoMan posted:

That poor UPS driver was a father of two covering the route for a coworker. But yeah lets blame him. Goddamn this country sucks.

God, imagine being that coworker now. He's not dead but that survivor's guilt is gonna be just crushing. :smith:

It makes me angry because it was senseless and preventable. Stop with the police chases. Enough. And I agree with what a compatriot posted on Twitter: take away their guns for a year. Let's just try it.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

VH4Ever posted:

Although the margin he won by is smaller than the number of Puerto Ricans who moved to Florida after Maria.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The NYTimes has a somewhat decent article (shocking) about trans issues (extra shocking) and the peculiar way in which the Trump Administration is systematically targeting the trans community and individuals.

A lot of articles are out there describing each anti-trans policy, but few really seem to appreciate the scope of the effort.

quote:

Trump’s Rollback of Transgender Rights Extends Through Entire Government
Whether it means serving in the military, working for a federal contractor or seeking medical help, regulations that once protected transgender people are under attack.

By Lola Fadulu

WASHINGTON — Nicolas Talbott, a graduate student at Kent State University in Ohio who is transgender, was told in May that because of President Trump’s transgender ban in the military, he would no longer be eligible for placement as an Army officer. He could continue participating in the Reserve Officers Training Corps program, but the benefits that he joined for — health insurance and student loan forgiveness — were no longer available to him.

“Everyone else would walk away with a job in the United States Army, and I would walk away with just more student loan debt,” Mr. Talbott said.

Mr. Talbott’s experience is just one version of a broader story unfolding across vast portions of the federal government as the Trump administration has rolled back a wide array of protections for transgender people, many of them put in place during the Obama administration. The Obama White House used its powers to declare that legal and legislative efforts to defend against sex discrimination should apply to gender identity. The Trump White House called that executive overreach — and reversed course wherever it could.

Across the country, transgender people and groups that are advocates for them have wrestled with the effect of that shift as they have learned of policy changes from the departments of Education and Labor to the departments of Health and Human Services and Housing and Urban Development, from the Pentagon to the Justice Department to the Office of Personnel Management.

Last month, a United States district judge struck down a Health and Human Services Department rule that would, among other changes, expand the protections for health care workers who refuse to treat transgender patients if it clashed with their beliefs, the third judge to do so.

But so many similar regulations are in place or pending that advocates for transgender rights are hardly relieved.

“We’ve been a priority for this administration since the day they got in the door,” said Gillian Branstetter, a former spokeswoman for the National Center for Transgender Equality, who is transgender.

White House officials reject any implication that the policies are motivated by intolerance. Judd Deere, a White House spokesman, said Mr. Trump became the first Republican president to celebrate Pride Month in June. He has backed gay marriage, and started a global campaign to decriminalize homosexuality.
“President Trump has never considered L.G.B.T. Americans second-class citizens and has opposed discrimination of any kind against them,” Mr. Deere said.

Current and former White House officials say the multiagency efforts to roll back legal protections for transgender people have been run out of the White House’s Domestic Policy Council, though it is still unclear who has spearheaded the effort.

A White House official said those efforts were merely correcting efforts by the Obama administration that exceeded presidential authority and to ensure that agencies were following the letter of the law.

While socially conservative policies have been mainstays of the Trump White House, what distinguishes the transgender initiative is its sweep.

The Education Department has rescinded Obama-era rules that allowed transgender students to use bathrooms of their choice or participate in sports corresponding with their gender identity.

The Defense Department has established restrictions on transgender troops that largely prohibit them from transitioning while in uniform. Transgender people who came out before the policy, which went into effect in April, may continue to serve, but that will depend on how four lawsuits play out.

And while the Department of Health and Human Services’ proposed “conscience” rule regarding health care workers was just rejected by its third court, another proposal from the department would replace Obama-era safeguards that banned discrimination against transgender medical patients and health insurance customers under the Affordable Care Act.

The Justice Department has moved to roll back protections for transgender people in federal prisons, while the Department of Housing and Urban Development is trying to reverse protections for transgender people in homeless shelters. The Office of Personnel Management has suspended protections for transgender employees of federal contractors.

Last month, the Education Department drafted a “statement of interest” with the Justice Department to defend a Christian private school in Maryland that was kicked out of a state voucher program in part because it says “God immutably bestows gender upon each person at birth as male or female to reflect His image.”

Administration officials and their allies say they are protecting the rights of people who do not want to share bathrooms or sleeping accommodations with transgender people, while safeguarding the religious and moral freedoms of medical professionals and others. Civil rights cuts two ways, and the administration is merely shifting the emphasis, supporters say.

“I think that’s a principle that all Americans benefit from: not being forced to violate their conscience,” said Emilie Kao, the director of the Richard and Helen DeVos Center for Religion & Civil Society at the conservative Heritage Foundation.

But to the people who identify as transgender, less than 1 percent of the population, the comprehensive nature of the policies feels mystifying.

For the Trump administration, the targeting of transgender protections may be politically advantageous. American society has shifted quickly to embrace gay marriage since President George W. Bush ran on it as a wedge issue in his successful re-election bid in 2004. But support for transgender rights lags among conservative Republicans, Mr. Trump’s base.
The shifts in federal policy come at a time when harassment and violence against transgender people are increasing. New hate crimes data released in mid-November by the F.B.I. showed that hate crimes dipped slightly in 2018, but crimes directed at lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people nudged up almost 6 percent. Crimes against transgender people leapt 34 percent, to 142 in 2018 from 106 in 2017, and those are only the crimes reported to the police or recorded as an attack on a transgender victim.

At least 22 transgender people have been fatally shot or killed in 2019, according to the Human Rights Campaign. Nearly all of them were black women. Some fear that the Trump administration’s policies could be interpreted by some as a signal that such attacks are acceptable.

“The rhetoric that these policy changes promote is that we aren’t people, but some toxic plague trying to destroy America’s family values,” said Tiara Kelley, a black transgender woman living in Colorado.

Ash Penn, who lives in North Carolina and is black and transgender, said, “To be queer, to be black, to be trans in America today, you constantly live in fear.”

Mimi Lemay, who lives in Massachusetts with a 9-year-old transgender son, said Washington policies were having a real-world impact. Some transgender children, in the face of bullying and ostracism, will avoid going to the bathroom at school if they cannot choose the one that matches their gender identity.

“I’ve spoken to people who have developed infections at school,” she said.

After the administration moved to expand protections of health care workers who deny procedures to transgender patients on religious or moral grounds, Ari Murphy, a Louisianian who is transgender and does not identify as exclusively a man or a woman, stopped correcting doctors who use alienating or upsetting pronouns.
Uninsured, with several chronic illnesses and genetic disorders, Ari fears being honest and open with health care workers “could negatively impact my care.”

Alek Mitterbach, a transgender man in Huntsville, Ala., decided to move up his chest reconstruction surgery to December because he feared that the Trump administration could define “transgender” out of existence — and cost him his health insurance. “I’ve got to hurry up and get this done, or else, come next year I may not be able to afford it,” he said.

Mr. Mitterbach estimated that with insurance, the surgery will most likely cost around $500. Without it, the bill could be 10 times higher.

For Allison Scott, the decision late last year by the Office of Personnel Management to withdraw protection for transgender employees of federal contractors had her thinking back to 2014.

Ms. Scott came out as a transgender woman that year, 15 years after she started working at a federal contractor in North Carolina. Company management and human resources said she could not dress as a woman or use the women’s restrooms. They openly doubted her continued employment and questioned her family life.

But company lawyers said she was protected by an Obama-era contracting guidance.

“I know what having that policy in place did for me,” she said. “That could have, most likely, been the last day of my employment.”

In May, Equality Florida, an L.G.B.T. rights group, organized a conference of homeless-shelter managers and housing policymakers to go over the Obama administration’s protections for transgender people in shelters. Later that same week, the Trump administration proposed rolling back those protections.

Gina Duncan, the group’s director of transgender equality, who is transgender, said she went back to the conference’s attendees to urge them to “do the right thing” and disregard Washington’s actions.

The administration’s policy changes keep coming. Beyond withdrawing bathroom protections, the Education Department also scrapped Obama-era guidance that told schools to interpret federal civil rights protections as covering gender identity.

The judicial setbacks for the Health and Human Services Department rule to help health care workers who refuse to help transgender patients did not stop the department from proposing last month to scrap regulations that currently prohibit discrimination based on gender identity and sexual orientation in programs that receive grants from the department. The public comment period is still open.

Before announcing its plan to weaken protections for transgender people who are homeless, the Department of Housing and Urban Development removed links to documents that listed best practices for emergency shelters serving transgender people. Ben Carson, the housing secretary, repeated concerns from advocates who expressed worry in September that “big, hairy men” pretending to be women would try to get into women’s shelters, The Washington Post reported.

Ms. Lemay has been having conversations with her son about the administration’s actions. She said she tells him that the administration does not understand transgender people, but that families like theirs can change people’s hearts and minds by telling their stories.

“I don’t think deep down most Americans agree with what the Trump administration is doing in regards to L.G.B.T. people,” she said. “I think most people know what’s fair, and they have a sense of empathy.”

I know everyone will want to blame this all on Pence but the hosed up truth is that there are so many bigoted evangelical monsters in this administration that it really is hard to say for sure who is the main push behind this or even that it is being led by a single person.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Pinecone Sample posted:

Although the margin he won by is smaller than the number of Puerto Ricans who moved to Florida after Maria.

Him loving up PR to the point where its refugees hand him defeat in FL would be poetic justice. Rooting for this now.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

this article is great

quote:

The Post verified workers’ employment histories by reviewing pay stubs and tax documents and, when possible, corroborating accounts with their colleagues. The workers uniformly contend that their managers were aware of their undocumented status, a topic they said came up during conversations and workplace disputes.

:(

quote:

Trump and his family spent so much time at their properties — and still do — that many Trump Organization employees have stories about encounters with them. But the undocumented workers were often left to perform the most intimate and personal work. Those who cooked and served Trump knew that he liked his cheeseburgers well-done and his Diet Coke in small glass bottles with a plastic straw that no one could be seen touching.

Trump loved Tic Tacs. But not an arbitrary amount. He wanted, in his bedroom bureau at all times, two full containers of white Tic Tacs and one container that was half full. The same rule applied to the Bronx Colors-brand face makeup from Switzerland that Trump slathered on — two full containers, one half full — even if it meant the housekeepers had to regularly bring new shirts from the pro shop because of the rust-colored stains on the collars. A special washing machine in the laundry room was reserved for his wife Melania Trump’s clothing.

Donald Trump liked Irish Spring bar soap in his shower. But his housekeepers quickly learned not to throw out his soap even if it had worn down to the tiniest sliver: Trump decided when he wanted something discarded. When that happened, with clothes or newspapers, he would toss them on the floor.

A regular recipient of Trump’s castoff clothing was Melania’s father, Viktor Knavs, Diaz and Morales said.

quote:

One day in 2013, Viktor Knavs went out to play golf wearing one of Trump’s discarded red baseball caps. When Trump spotted him on the fairway, he blew up, and he ordered his father-in-law, in front of other golfers, to remove the hat and get off the course. Diaz and Morales were in the villa when Knavs returned, threw the hat on the ground and cursed Trump.

The housekeepers pieced together the story from what Amalija Knavs told them in English and what they heard from the caddies who were on the course at the time.

“Nobody could wear the red hat but [Trump],” Diaz said.

“The whole world saw what Trump had done to his father-in-law,” Morales added. “[Knavs] was very embarrassed.”

quote:

Many of Diaz and Morales’s friends and colleagues, a tightknit community of immigrants in Bound Brook, N.J., also turned against them.

“What she is doing is stabbing the others in the back,” a greens-keeper at Bedminster who was from Diaz’s hometown in Costa Rica, texted a group of colleagues after the Times article came out. “What an embarrassment that she is from my barrio.”

Her friends accused her of risking others’ jobs and setting them up to be deported.

“I also worked there a long time without papers but the most incredible thing is to see how people, when they have papers, forget how they got here,” Antonio Zuñiga, a former Bedminster greenskeeper, wrote on Facebook. “I’m sorry but people like you Doña Sandra have forgotten their principles.”

Zuñiga did not respond to requests for comment.

The friends’ fears about repercussions were soon realized.

In January, Trump’s son Eric Trump announced that as a result of news reports about the Trump Organization’s undocumented workers, the company was “making a broad effort to identify any employee who has given false and fraudulent documents to unlawfully gain employment,” and that any such people would be immediately fired.

The company began auditing the legal status of its employees at its golf courses. A top human resources executive at the company visited golf courses and called workers one by one into meetings, where they learned they were summarily fired.

A precise count of firings is unknown. The Post has confirmed at least 18 firings at five golf courses in New York and New Jersey. At Bedminster, former workers estimate that 30 to 40 more undocumented employees were not asked back this spring.

“Our employees are like family, but when presented with fake documents, an employer has little choice,” Eric Trump told The Post earlier this year.

This year, the Trump Organization also instituted E-Verify, a voluntary federal program that allows employers to check the employment eligibility of new hires. Several of the Trump properties had not been enrolled in the program when the year started, according to the E-Verify database.

The company has not said whether it audited employees’ immigration status before this year.

quote:

The New York State attorney general’s office opened an inquiry and interviewed more than 20 former workers about potential wage violations at the company, but former workers say they have heard nothing in months. An official in the attorney general’s office said last month that the inquiry is ongoing but declined to offer further details.

Jorge Castro, an Ecuadoran immigrant who spent nine years as part of a roving band of stone masons who built rock walls at several Trump golf courses, filed a complaint in August with the Labor Department. He alleged that the Trump Organization did not pay him for all the hours he worked.

A Labor Department spokesperson told Romero last month that the department would not be pursuing Castro’s case.

Morales has applied for asylum and has been granted a legal work permit while that process plays out.

When Diaz finally spoke out, she felt relief, and a new sense of purpose, to be able to share her experience, but also to stand up for those immigrants whom Trump often disparages.

She became an advocate for other undocumented Trump employees, somebody who could relate to their lives and concerns. Working for Romero’s law firm, she traveled to cities up and down the Eastern Seaboard to meet dozens of her former colleagues at other Trump properties.

At one point this year, she stood in a kitchen in Charlottesville, talking to an undocumented immigrant who was still employed at Trump Winery.

The worker had spread out years of Trump Organization paystubs, tax documents and health records on a table.

To an outsider, it may have seemed counterintuitive to stockpile all this proof of illegal labor.

“Do you know why we save everything, we Hispanics?” Diaz said to a reporter who was watching.

It was the hope that one day there would be amnesty for those who had lived and worked in the United States, regardless of how they had crossed the border.

“We were always told there will be a reform, and we’ll need all our documents as proof,” she said.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

The NYTimes has a somewhat decent article (shocking) about trans issues (extra shocking) and the peculiar way in which the Trump Administration is systematically targeting the trans community and individuals.

A lot of articles are out there describing each anti-trans policy, but few really seem to appreciate the scope of the effort.

I know everyone will want to blame this all on Pence but the hosed up truth is that there are so many bigoted evangelical monsters in this administration that it really is hard to say for sure who is the main push behind this or even that it is being led by a single person.

It's not just Pence and it's one of the most frustrating things about this situation. It's also why another year (especially a year where defeat may look extremely possible) of Trump is extra scary because this stuff flies under the radar and we can expect to see a whole loving lot more of it and it isn't even comfortably assured a Democratic candidate would do much to change it.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

I don't see how anybody is going to vote Trump out of office in the middle of a war with Iran though....

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Trans issues is one of those things where I think misinformation is just way too common. Especially with people over 40 or so, they’ll repeat so many lines about how it’s all men saying they’re women to assault them in bathrooms. There’s this base level of misunderstanding that they just can’t seem to get over.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

VH4Ever posted:

OH is probably lost to the Democrats, but PA will probably be a win for them. The 2020 election will likely come down to North Carolina and Wisconsin, both of which have very narrow leads for the Democrats (with some candidates doing better and others simply losing).

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ImpAtom posted:

It's not just Pence and it's one of the most frustrating things about this situation. It's also why another year (especially a year where defeat may look extremely possible) of Trump is extra scary because this stuff flies under the radar and we can expect to see a whole loving lot more of it and it isn't even comfortably assured a Democratic candidate would do much to change it.

DeVos and Carson in particular wouldn't need any prompting to immediately start attacking trans people for existing. It is pretty terrifying.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

bobjr posted:

Trans issues is one of those things where I think misinformation is just way too common. Especially with people over 40 or so, they’ll repeat so many lines about how it’s all men saying they’re women to assault them in bathrooms. There’s this base level of misunderstanding that they just can’t seem to get over.

There's also an active social media disinformation campaign ongoing, and we all know just how vulnerable boomers and early gen-x are to that sort of thing.

The evangelical and far right groups behind it (think Family Research Council and a whole bunch of other SPLC recognized anti-gay hate groups) are especially trying to co-opt progressive language and wording to push transphobia, to try and make being transphobic seem like a feminist position.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

VH4Ever posted:

Him loving up PR to the point where its refugees hand him defeat in FL would be poetic justice. Rooting for this now.

Trump probably (almost certainly) thinks that Puerto Ricans can't vote

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Shifty Pony posted:

There's also an active social media disinformation campaign ongoing, and we all know just how vulnerable boomers and early gen-x are to that sort of thing.

The evangelical and far right groups behind it (think Family Research Council and a whole bunch of other SPLC recognized anti-gay hate groups) are especially trying to co-opt progressive language and wording to push transphobia, to try and make being transphobic seem like a feminist position.

A lot of the anti trans arguments are anti gay arguments recycled after they lost the marriage equality fight. It's extremely blatent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

BonoMan posted:

I’ve been to plenty of fatal and near fatal police chase accidents that were completely unnecessary. Unless there is an apparent immediate danger to the public, put eyes on them, call it in and pick them up elsewhere. It’s loving senseless cowboy horseshit.