Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

jng2058 posted:

CQC Suite and a COIL-S on a machine as fast as the Vulcan is a nice way to use a COIL-S until you can find a COIL-M or -L.

Do COIL-Ms exist? I haven't seen them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Taear posted:

The house Kurita final (probably) flashpoint level is absolutely bananas.
I've got 8 turns to get to 3 quite distant points to call an artillery strike in, through about 8 enemy mechs including a bull shark.

I just can't do it, I don't know how it expects me to. At least not without taking absolutely insane amounts of damage. Like I've got a Bull Shark, a King Crab, an Atlas and a Highlander all with decent setups but if I stop to try and blow stuff up I run out of time and I've got to split my group too. I just don't get it :/

Have you tried ECM and faster 'mechs?

RBA Starblade posted:

I started my most recent campaign with one. Got a COIL-M, COIL-S, and a Vulcan out of the loot box. Put the -M on a Jenner and the -S on the Vulcan and went to town.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

jng2058 posted:

Have you tried ECM and faster 'mechs?

I've genuinely not seen any ECM, no ravens.
And faster mechs would get rolled really quickly. The enemy has 8 mechs, mixture of assault and heavy and i have to walk through them to get to where I need to be.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Taear posted:

I've got 8 turns to get to 3 quite distant points to call an artillery strike in, through about 8 enemy mechs including a bull shark.

I just can't do it, I don't know how it expects me to. At least not without taking absolutely insane amounts of damage. Like I've got a Bull Shark, a King Crab, an Atlas and a Highlander all with decent setups but if I stop to try and blow stuff up I run out of time and I've got to split my group too. I just don't get it :/

Don't send the big boys and don't try to fight. Send your faster, shittier jump-capable heavies and assaults (or a plucky medium) and pilots with sure footing, max your evasion pips, brace in the point, then run. Shoot nothing unless they can't get to another point then use them to distract. If needed eject all but one pilot to get to the evac point after.

Try not to send your best pilots either :v:

Alternately bring three of the above and the most heavily armored headcapper you've got and have it delay them.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Don't send the big boys and don't try to fight. Send your faster, shittier jump-capable heavies and assaults (or a plucky medium) and pilots with sure footing, max your evasion pips, brace in the point, then run. Shoot nothing unless they can't get to another point then use them to distract. If needed eject all but one pilot to get to the evac point after.

Try not to send your best pilots either :v:

Alternately bring three of the above and the most heavily armored headcapper you've got and have it delay them.

They just get blown up. Like honestly - there's no space to kinda move around so I can sneak to the spots or anything like that.
The central bit is where the bull shark is stood, even.

If the baddies were running to me that'd be fine but they're not, they're stood in the centre on the point and on the left and right on the mountains near the other points.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Note that failing the evac time limit doesn’t fail those missions any more.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Note that failing the evac time limit doesn’t fail those missions any more.

Whoa now really? What happens instead? Do I just lose some money?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Taear posted:

Whoa now really? What happens instead? Do I just lose some money?

A reinforcement lance drops

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

A reinforcement lance drops

Then that's going to have to be the way I do it. I can easily blow up the enemies if I have time to lounge around but getting to the points in 8 turns is impossible. It takes 2 turns just to get there!
It's not like the one in the Heavy Metal flashpoint.

Then again every step of this particular flashpoint has been insane. Loads of enemy reinforcements spawning ON me with two assault lances and stuff, it's horrible.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I just turned over one of my Mechwarriors to a likely gruesome and bloody death.

In my defense, A) It wasn't on the battlefield, and B) He very much deserved it.

He was my seventh best mechwarrior (out of seven), and had been in trouble several times (including one time he was caught selling small arms out of the Argo's stash (not that we were going to USE it, mind it, more like he didn't cut us in for a share until we caught him at it, and then got all rebellious and mopey). But this is a whole new level of stupidity. He apparently racked up a 2 million CBill debt at one of Mechdur's seedier gambling establishments. (something like $20,000,000). The gambling syndicate wanted either their 2 million Cbills or the Mechwarrior. The mechwarrior obviously wanted us to pay or take off from the planet.

I wished him well on his future endeavors. He told me as the engines lit up that we were making a horrible mistake.

No pal, you did, and hopefully you'll learn from your mistake.

If you live through it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Taear posted:

Then that's going to have to be the way I do it. I can easily blow up the enemies if I have time to lounge around but getting to the points in 8 turns is impossible. It takes 2 turns just to get there!
It's not like the one in the Heavy Metal flashpoint.

Then again every step of this particular flashpoint has been insane. Loads of enemy reinforcements spawning ON me with two assault lances and stuff, it's horrible.

No you still need to set the beacons on time. It just doesn’t auto fail if you miss the extract countdown.

You fail the extract on time as a secondary objective, it spawns a kill lance, and you get killing that lance as a new secondary.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I always thought it would be cool if there were other merc companies bumping around. Maybe they shanghai one of your pilots and you try to get them back, maybe they underbid you on a contract, some rival company shows up having been hired in the opposing force, they have their own reputations etc. Know it would be a big lift to put in the game, just something that occurred to me last time I played and saw all the unemployed pilots languishing on every planet etc.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I got a Coil-M and an Assassin. Shooting that thing with 5 evasion pips just straight deletes lights. Goes through the arm, side torso and center torso.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Taear posted:

Orbital strike missions are one of the few I just go full cash on and break out the lights. Just take the money and run.

If you have any, a sprinting or jumping Firestarter (or a sprinting Jenner) with a +3 hit defense gyro and a piloting 10 pilot has something like 22,000 effective HP, they'll effectively stay at the evasion cap until they drop down to like 1-2 pips.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Oh also the cap points only take 1 turn to snag now, not 2

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The lovely fast Banshee variants are actually perfect for target acquisition missions. Max out their armor and just have them sprint to the location, they can sit there and soak damage and it doesn't mean poo poo because their max armor is ludicrous.

Stick +++ resolve generation cockpit mods and just spam vigilance and they're functionally immortal.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

They don’t need to sit there any more. You can pop a light in and it will complete next round. They changed from 2 rounds on the spot to 1.

Just go with you dumbest high speed jumpers. 4 Phoenix hawks would be ideal but really any light or fast medium that can get five pips will do.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

I like to use a max armor heavy or assault that can draw fire from multiple areas as bait while bracing. Fast mechs with disposable pilots for everything else. Eject down to one mech to win quickly after capturing all points.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Taear posted:

If it's the same one I remember the best way to beat it is to field three mechs that are missiles boats, they can take care of things ranged very well, and have one mech that's a light to run run run once you get things taken care of pretty good.

There should be a building or emplacement that needs to be destroyed for some friendlies to be sent down as well. They'll help keep poo poo off your runner.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Keltar posted:

If it's the same one I remember the best way to beat it is to field three mechs that are missiles boats, they can take care of things ranged very well, and have one mech that's a light to run run run once you get things taken care of pretty good.

There should be a building or emplacement that needs to be destroyed for some friendlies to be sent down as well. They'll help keep poo poo off your runner.

There isn't - that's the other one you're thinking of there unfortunately.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Oh man. Clash of the titans went beautifully for me. I was all mediums so it was real sketch but I waited until one assault got crunched and when I showed up, the other assault was on a mountain with no weapons and no jumpjets so I just ignored it until I killed the few 3 mediums and 1 light remaining.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
I keep waffling back and forth between either continuing Heavy Metal career mode, or rolling back to 1.7.1 and trying out RT for the first time. I have to admit, I really like the big murderous family flavor from crew interactions and events - does RT add anything at all to that section of the game, or is it all beep boop only tactics/flavor text written with the proficiency and subtlety of a 12-year-old?

I’d just go ahead and try it, but the setup is kind of intimidating.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

pangstrom posted:

I always thought it would be cool if there were other merc companies bumping around. Maybe they shanghai one of your pilots and you try to get them back, maybe they underbid you on a contract, some rival company shows up having been hired in the opposing force, they have their own reputations etc. Know it would be a big lift to put in the game, just something that occurred to me last time I played and saw all the unemployed pilots languishing on every planet etc.

It was not quite this but I did get an event where another mercenary company tried to pay me 100,000 c-bills for one of my mechwarriors? But was Dekker so that was never going to happen.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I've restarted the House Kurita level using a Quickdraw as my fast mech. It does seem to be okay? But it helps that this time the assault isn't a Bull - it's a Banshee.
I know it's on purpose that the game is a bit swingy but man the way it picks mechs is a bit annoying sometimes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol a fp reward gave me a rare mech part of a dragon, then three more of them

I just want a DHS :negative:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol a fp reward gave me a rare mech part of a dragon, then three more of them

I just want a DHS :negative:
You'll build that goddamn dragon and you'll like it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CommunityEdition posted:

I have to admit, I really like the big murderous family flavor from crew interactions and events - does RT add anything at all to that section of the game, or is it all beep boop only tactics/flavor text written with the proficiency and subtlety of a 12-year-old?

It doesn't add a whole lot of events, and looking a selection they're all over the place between fine and embarrassingly bad.

The flavor text descriptions of mechs and equipment are ok, and on that side I'd give them a pass because RT makes equipment a whole lot more complicated. Honestly I think the base game's flavor text on weapons and equipment is often pretty lackluster; descriptions for upgrades (gyros, arms, etc) are both useless and all the same.

Basically if you like the flavor & lite RP parts of the game I don't think RT adds much.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Klyith posted:

It doesn't add a whole lot of events, and looking a selection they're all over the place between fine and embarrassingly bad.

The flavor text descriptions of mechs and equipment are ok, and on that side I'd give them a pass because RT makes equipment a whole lot more complicated. Honestly I think the base game's flavor text on weapons and equipment is often pretty lackluster; descriptions for upgrades (gyros, arms, etc) are both useless and all the same.

Basically if you like the flavor & lite RP parts of the game I don't think RT adds much.

Thanks for that, looks like I can comfortably wait to see what eventually shows up in 1.8.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

This loving level is just the absolute worst. I am constantly reloading it because my quick mech is dying - I've done the artillery strike now but the vehicles that spawn every turn have gone after him and I just want to eject my other mechs and win because he's stood on the evac point but I don't think I can do it.
God drat.

I managed to do it that way - which is dumb. Three assault mechs ejected and my fast mech on the evac point.
What a horrible flashpoint, my god.

Taear fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 7, 2019

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Are you Jumping + Guarding + Bulwark?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

Are you Jumping + Guarding + Bulwark?

I was yea.
There's 8 enemy mechs and an infinite supply of vehicles. It's a rough level. It's also a consecutive deployment level after quite a hard other level.

Taear fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 7, 2019

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
So I just found out that a narc++ and an lrm with +2 damage equals 10 damage per missile. I also have an LRM stalker.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
What are the rules for called shots with spread weapons? Because my tactics 9 mechwarrior is coring everything in sight with her snub ppc++.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
I think it might only apply for the first projectile for each weapon.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I can't help but feel the rules are different for missiles and shotguns.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
I think they might be, but a pilot with called shot mastery is never going to hit 90% of their shots to the target location with either of those weapons.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not complaining, I'm saying that my mechwarrior may as well be calling her shots from an Awesome. Called shots may do something to spread?

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
I think they reduced spread more in the base game, but after the recent expansions/patches, Called shots for LRMs/other scatter weapons have been a little underwhelming.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Ugh, had the last stage of the heavy metal mini-campaign disappear (and right when I almost felt ready).
... And I am pretty sure it didn't list expiration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Azran posted:

Only mod I've added was Commander Portrait Loader, I never messed with mods before Heavy Metal. All other games work just fine and video drivers were the first thing I updated just in case. I took a look through the Paradox forums and I found the "how to cleanly uninstall BattleTech" video and I made sure to delete every folder including save games. For some reason I forgot I had steam cloud saves on :cripes:. I had no idea about the registry thing either, reinstalling now. We'll see how it goes. Thanks!

I did the whole procedure, reinstalled once more and the only thing that changed is that the game doesn't register that I own all DLCs. No files fail to validate, doing everything again didn't change anything. Game is absolutely bricked. :rip:

The menu is also missing stuff in the dropdown menus, like the Language tab is completely missing... in a fresh reinstall and with apparently no missing files.

Azran fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 7, 2019