Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sarsapariller posted:

I guess I'm going to have to start buying stuff off the Oculus store. They're getting all the cool stuff lately.

How does Revive work- does it have to be configured for every game, or can I just kind of run it and expect Oculus stuff to be fully compatible with my Index?

Nah you just run revive in the background and then stuff just works.

Problem is revive runs all the time you're using VR even if it isn't an oculus game. I uninstalled it because I was worried it was causing performance issues. I'm probably gonna have to try it again though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah you just run revive in the background and then stuff just works.

Problem is revive runs all the time you're using VR even if it isn't an oculus game. I uninstalled it because I was worried it was causing performance issues. I'm probably gonna have to try it again though.

It doesn’t, it’s just a hook into steam to run some patching/in patching commands automatically. It doesn’t actually actively “do” anything.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://twitter.com/PistolWhipVR/status/1199747355722960897?s=19

Can you say pistol whip FREE SONG

Awww yeah baybeeeeee

Also "oldboy inspired" :allears:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Pistol Whip is quite fun and a great workout, but hard mode is super frustrating on the Quest due to draw distance limitations on some songs and the hitboxes on the columns that you have to dodge are just broken - the visual hitbox is like 20% smaller than the actual one, such that you can put your face through air and take a hit and you can watch enemy bullets just cease to exist because they hit the invisible part of the column. I gotta try out the PC version to see if it's the same there. Playing the actual maps on hard is way more fun though because there's so much more going on compared to the normal difficulty that the stuff happening syncs up with the song better.

also once someone figures out custom scenes that poo poo is going to be insane

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Hellsau posted:

Pistol Whip is quite fun and a great workout, but hard mode is super frustrating on the Quest due to draw distance limitations on some songs and the hitboxes on the columns that you have to dodge are just broken - the visual hitbox is like 20% smaller than the actual one, such that you can put your face through air and take a hit and you can watch enemy bullets just cease to exist because they hit the invisible part of the column. I gotta try out the PC version to see if it's the same there. Playing the actual maps on hard is way more fun though because there's so much more going on compared to the normal difficulty that the stuff happening syncs up with the song better.

also once someone figures out custom scenes that poo poo is going to be insane

Earlier this month someone on Reddit posted an incredibly complicated and long winded way of generating custom scenes but I think a fair bit was missing and it takes forever but we're def close I think/hope

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

gently caress yeah dude

Y'all are all going on about playing Hard Deadeye and I'm over here playing Normal high as a kite and dancing to the beat

hard, yay. dead eye, boo.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Truga posted:

speaking of bad ideas, is it possible to easily root the quest/go? i might be willing to buy facebook hardware if i can remove them from the software bits

You could do that, but it's a bad idea. Without the software bits you don't have access to things like the 6dof tracking.

If you want to write stuff for it, put it in dev mode, and go hog wild and ignore Oculus but getting rid of their run-time gets rid of 6dof tracking, and interfaces and would make it hardly worth using. At that point you could just grab a cell phone and try to make it into a 6dof device. Someone did combine Samsung GearVR with the AR tracking to make a 6 dof solution a couple of years ago.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man, I'm so bummed out with my Quest still losing tracking during BeatSaber. I literally can't go a single game without missing blocks that I clearly swung at. It's not like "oh I swung at it and the saber missed", but more like "I swung my controller and nothing happened on screen". At this point it has to either be the unit or the environment, but tracking is fine in every other game, and the environment hasn't changed from when it consistently worked at launch.

I'll try taking it to my friend's house and see if maybe it's something in my game room confusing it, but it's a long shot.

Also, "The Climb" is a dumb title -- it should be called "Hope you love smashing into your low ceiling" :ohdear:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Haha what a scam. Magic leap first said their projection was 1 million units sold. They then lowered that to 100k. How many units actually sold? 6k. Good use of 2 billion dollars!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Nostos is out today, anybody tried it? Is it just another survival clone or does it have some elements that might make it a compelling VR experience?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Sarsapariller posted:

Nostos is out today, anybody tried it? Is it just another survival clone or does it have some elements that might make it a compelling VR experience?
I played both betas. It’s an MMO that also added a VR port. I’m not sure what is interesting about it at all.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Stick100 posted:

There has been no resolution to let Pavlov in the store, To the Top on the store, Climbey on the store.

Climbey's dev never submitted the game for approval.

The Pavlov situation was resolved a day after it happened, and it's releasing on the Oculus Quest store on December 19.

There's been no word on To The Top after Oculus offered to get in touch with them, but who knows what that means.

Of your examples, one is kinda legitimate, one is getting on the store and was a misunderstanding from the beginning, and one never even tried to get on the store.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

sethsez posted:

Per the description in SideQuest, he was denied.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I can see how this is another one of those hobbies that nickle and dimes you into a hole, but I'm absolutely having fun so far with the Quest with just the basic stuff it came with. Just wish I had a gym to play in instead of my little living room.

I would like to maybe get a different face pad, but can't decide which is worth it as well as a USB cable for Link. I don't have a USB C port on my PC, so will getting one of those adapters cause issues? I'm eyeing this cable and adapter. But then instead is VRidge worth trying since I already have 2.0 cables, or does that come with quality and control limits? I also don't have a 5 ghz router setup, though I have a cable modem/router combo with it that I haven't tried to see if I can pass my DSL connection through to.

So I've already found another $100 to spend without even getting any games yet...

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

SCheeseman posted:

Per the description in SideQuest, he was denied.

His own comments on Reddit, up to a couple weeks ago, keep saying that he decided to not attempt an official submission after development was about 80% completed because he doesn't like the requirement to fill out pitch documents and was discouraged about his own chances after seeing other games rejected.

Edit: he was rejected from the Oculus Rift store though, because the PC version relies on Steamworks APIs for level sharing.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 7, 2019

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

He did the pitch, the release on SideQuest coincided with the denial by Oculus. SteamWorks is unlikely the reason why, custom levels are already on their own server on the Quest version, imported from Steam.

quote:

Thanks for checking out the Climbey Quest demo!

Sadly the full game's pitch document was denied by Oculus.

This means the game will most likely not make it to the official Quest store.

This demo was put together to gauge interest and show people what Climbey on Quest feels like.

It showcases a few community made levels, as well as the demo level from the Steam demo.

I'm still working out monetization for the full Quest version to release in the future, no promises there!

By ShadowBrain

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 7, 2019

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The latest H3VR update now adds an old school muzzle-loading flintlock pistol. I actually learned a lot watching this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9qPbXj5skI

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taintrunner posted:

The latest H3VR update now adds an old school muzzle-loading flintlock pistol. I actually learned a lot watching this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9qPbXj5skI

He went overboard with it too, so you can stack bullets, overload the powder, and even blow the fucker up in your hand :gibs:.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That is beyond dumb they won't allow Climbey on Quest. Climbey outside would be amazing.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

SCheeseman posted:

He did the pitch, the release on SideQuest coincided with the denial by Oculus. SteamWorks is unlikely the reason why, custom levels are already on their own server on the Quest version, imported from Steam.

Foreign APIs are grounds for automated denials from Oculus. No exceptions.
This is why you should buy from steam

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Got my Oculus S and new PC running today! Yay fun good VR.

Only issue I’m having might not be an issue. The little white lights on the headset and controllers never goes out. They even come on with the PC without me running anything.

Is this normal?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

rage-saq posted:

Well, a big honkin' exception is games with cross-buy. You should always buy those from the oculus store if you have a rift/quest. Honestly I just prefer at this point having everything through oculus where I know its going to be running natively, and any forward features that come down the pipe will be ready. There are plenty of people who bought stuff on steam that ended up being cross buy after Quest came out and had to buy it a second time.

I'm also curious to see where things go with VR social environments like the horizons down the track. Theres a lot of opportunities as the platform owner of how they could link things together, that a 3rd party would have a hard time doing, and might not be possible with games from other places that aren't linked into their specific APIs.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

https://twitter.com/PistolWhipVR/status/1199747355722960897?s=19

Can you say pistol whip FREE SONG

Awww yeah baybeeeeee

Also "oldboy inspired" :allears:

Holy poo poo, growing up a good friend of mine got big into Korean cinema, if I were to guess I'd say the scene he's referring to is this one. Basically this guy gets mind-hosed Titus Andronicus style for 15 years and then has to fight his way out of a building/prison, but first he has to get through a hallway filled with men waiting to kill him, and he's armed only with a hammer and the hatred with the fury of a thousand suns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwIIDzrVVdc

Highly recommend, it's probably on Netflix or something. Classic, memorable scene from that movie.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

sethsez posted:

The Pavlov situation was resolved a day after it happened, and it's releasing on the Oculus Quest store on December 19.

There's been no word on To The Top after Oculus offered to get in touch with them, but who knows what that means.

Of your examples, one is kinda legitimate, one is getting on the store and was a misunderstanding from the beginning, and one never even tried to get on the store.

Apologies I didn't realize Pavlov was coming to the store. Last I heard on his discord he was planning on a demo to promote the SteamVR build in because he wasn't yet approved for the Quest store.

Anyway the point stands that the Quest has an Oculus storefront problem. To the Top, Climby, my game 2 game, and many dozens or hundreds others would already be in the store front if Oculus had an open system like Steam/Viveport. Would there be some crap in there, YES but who cares it's not like people buy every thing that comes to iTunes.

They have made a choice and I respectably disagree it but it's a problem for the system (my post was in response to a post that the Quest didn't have software yet) and the reason why there is very little experimental stuff for Quest.

The pace of new software for Quest will be steady since Oculus will keep contacting people to let them in the walled garden. It makes sense from the perspective that for a year or 2 they can have cool stuff nearly every week since porting from PCVR -> Quest is actually not that hard. If they just had an open store front then they have a load of stuff (including some bad products, I won't classify where my own game would be) in the first few months and then it would dribble in. By having a early Xbox 360 style system they can choose to let stuff in as they see fit. But doing so keeps fun experimental things, and good quality things like To the Top, Climby and, my unnamed IP into the store front maybe forever.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

rage-saq posted:

He wasn't denied because of foreign APIs. They don't even let you submit a build, instead you have to submit a .png with cool pictures and a story of why you'll make them a bunch of money or why you'll give them good PR (Traveling while Black). Then the store team decides if they want you in. If you're denied you're not told anything and have no recourse. Honestly the best feedback you can get is to send a build to Carmack directly and ask him if it can get in the store and whats wrong since he'll actually give you something.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looking at the quest store it's very much geared towards developing and curating AAA level titles. They probably hired someone from EA or whoever owns modern warfare series to run their store.

I own climbey on steam and it's neat but it also looks like absolute non-AAA indie garbage and doesn't promote the Quest as a PC-quality movie-type experience. The Climb has all sorts of slick graphics etc etc you would expect from a "quest title"

I'm sure "indie VR" will happen some day on the quest but not right now. Right now they need to pick up casuals/console gamers. A bunch of PC looking indie pc titles on Quest is going to scare off potential customers they are trying to woo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hadlock posted:

Looking at the quest store it's very much geared towards developing and curating AAA level titles. They probably hired someone from EA or whoever owns modern warfare series to run their store.

I own climbey on steam and it's neat but it also looks like absolute non-AAA indie garbage and doesn't promote the Quest as a PC-quality movie-type experience. The Climb has all sorts of slick graphics etc etc you would expect from a "quest title"

I'm sure "indie VR" will happen some day on the quest but not right now. Right now they need to pick up casuals/console gamers. A bunch of PC looking indie pc titles on Quest is going to scare off potential customers they are trying to woo.

Yeah, if you look at Steam's VR storepage on most days, the front-page selection is... not great. Curating down to the titles that can put on a decent show and not just be "functionally" good really is the smart move for a new platform like VR, especially when we've ever seen what happens to any other console the moment it's open to all and sundry to publish like the Switch eShop (or, well Steam). The Quest also needs to be able to stay well away from accidental comparisons to lower-tier devices like GearVR and Oculus Go.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I think Oculus store strategy is in that having hundreds of games in their store gives little value to the mainstream user,he isn't going to buy hundreds of games,he will buy half a dozen at first and one every two months. With the amount of games the Quest offers right now and 3-4 per month (but of higher quality) new, it's enough for them.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
https://gfycat.com/revolvingmelodichornshark

Next B&S update is focusing on magic and will include the ability to easily add modded spells

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 7, 2019

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Man, I got to roughly Top 5000 on Beat Saber leaderboards and now I can't get any higher.
Not because it's too difficult but because all the songs in my difficulty range is anime trash that makes my ears bleed.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The oculus home tutorial brought me into some random stranger’s house and it was terrifying.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there a VR game that does fast mecha combat kind of like Zone of the Enders or something like that?
Cause I played ZoE 2 in VR and it was pretty amazing other than it being a port instead of a proper VR game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I got a quest ! It’s really cool! Is beat saber still uncustomizable or did people figure that out? The default songs are not very much my type of music, but it’s still a really cool game.

I’ve used plenty of PS VR with friends but this is sooo much better. Standalone and plug and play makes such a difference

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I got a quest ! It’s really cool! Is beat saber still uncustomizable or did people figure that out? The default songs are not very much my type of music, but it’s still a really cool game.

I’ve used plenty of PS VR with friends but this is sooo much better. Standalone and plug and play makes such a difference

Good news: There's a ton of custom Beat Saber songs now!

Bad News: They're all anime weeb stuff and are largely badly made!

(some people are doing some rad stuff. The moment I realized the Initial D track was making me throw my arms in the air when the song goes "Yeeeeah!!" was rad)

https://bsaber.com/

edit: unless the version of beat saber for the quest is different and this post is all bs my b

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I think they've disabled custom songs inn Quest, so yeah that doesn't help him.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I got a Quest just yesterday and was able to get custom songs going with a little work.

Coming from PSVR it feels much less difficult to get clean cuts in this game on Quest.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh cool! Good to know. I know there was some controversy over the capability being patched out but guess they got it back in.

I gave the custom songs a look and wow that’s a lot of anime. Some of the Videos I saw seem to suffer from the same issue custom rock band stuff did where yes it’s a cool song but the person mapping it is not a game designer

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Oh cool! Good to know. I know there was some controversy over the capability being patched out but guess they got it back in.

I gave the custom songs a look and wow that’s a lot of anime. Some of the Videos I saw seem to suffer from the same issue custom rock band stuff did where yes it’s a cool song but the person mapping it is not a game designer

That was exactly my impression too - that and, just like the custom rock band/guitar hero stuff, the songs are all overwhelmingly mapped for "Expert/Expert+" or, at the very least, Hard. Even the "Normal" tracks tend to vary wildly in difficulty from "Normal+" to "loving impossible wtf"

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Fuzz posted:

I think they've disabled custom songs inn Quest, so yeah that doesn't help him.

They didn't, because it never existed officially in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The latest SteamVR beta allows switching the refresh rate on the fly on the Index. And there's something about better multimonitor support in the desktop view. Haven't tried it yet, tho.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

That was exactly my impression too - that and, just like the custom rock band/guitar hero stuff, the songs are all overwhelmingly mapped for "Expert/Expert+" or, at the very least, Hard. Even the "Normal" tracks tend to vary wildly in difficulty from "Normal+" to "loving impossible wtf"
Custom songs, yeah.

I suppose the issue is the same with every hobby, where the creators/mappers are the same people that are playing it a whole lot and are consequently very good at the game to begin with, and mapping to their moving standards. So the difficulty shifts upwards naturally. If one then needs to assign labels to it, maps are gonna be marked with lower difficulties, because they're "easy", even tho they're way harder than anything from an earlier period.

Same poo poo happened here in the forest, when downhill mountain biking was all the rage. Eventually the more experienced riders were tweaking and upgrading the tracks, until they became unusable for beginners, and at some point intermediate riders. The difference was that you just couldn't download the old bike track.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 7, 2019