Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Threads needs a serious chill pill right now

bump_fn posted:

that’s not what you meant by D

Oh yeah, or that

e: I believe 100% that Labour will be the largest party on Friday morning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

The point is to just have something that gammons can forward to eachother on facebook to prove Corbyn is a wrong un. It doesn't matter that its utterly meaningless, as even if it were all true, none of them could actually understand anyway. Its literally just to give the some pseudo-scientific content to circlejerk over their existing prejudices against him to keep them baying for blood on election day.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
You know when you see movies where someone has completely flown off the rails putting polaroid pictures and post it notes on a cork board connected by string?

There's an app for that now, apparently.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I met a woman from Liverpool who had been living and working in North Wales (less than 20 miles from Liverpool) for 20+ years and she was telling me how she and others get the 'go back to where you come from and stop stealing our homes / jobs / husbands' etc from North Wales' natives.

Glad you find it's helping.

As a North Wales native I can 100% confirm this. As a kid my parents told me that Liverpool council would rehome the problem tenants near us

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Friends of the Earth just rated Labour as having the most environmentally sound manifesto, placing them above the green party.

Probably a good talking point for if the environment comes up on the doorstep.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Friends of the Earth just rated Labour as having the most environmentally sound manifesto, placing them above the green party.

Probably a good talking point for if the environment comes up on the doorstep.

That's interesting, does it go into detail why?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Why are we dogpiling RCP for something that was said, rolled back and apologised for and the initial recipient accepted the apology?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Azza Bamboo posted:

You know when you see movies where someone has completely flown off the rails putting polaroid pictures and post it notes on a cork board connected by string?

There's an app for that now, apparently.

best summed up by

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nTpsv9PNqo

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Rarity posted:

e: I believe 100% that Labour will be the largest party on Friday morning

lol that just gave me a thought of "gently caress me it's getting really close isn't it?"

And then an immediate second thought: "But I suppose it's good that it's close, so I have to spend less time on edge like this :D "

And hot on their heels: "I guess? On balance? But gently caress me it's getting really close isn't it?"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I think my point is, as someone who has suffered with (admittedly, and thankfully, mild) depression for most of my life, being told "Just be optimistic!" is about as useful a piece of advice as telling me to just flap my arms and fly, and veers dangerously close to the sort of "Get over yourself" bullshit I've had to put up with from far too many people in my life.

I understand though that for other people, a "fake it till you make it" attitude is their way of coping, and I respect that, and that having more pessimistic people around them can hurt that. That doesn't make it excusable to tell people to get out, and it *certainly* doesn't make that "wallowing in despair" remark cool and I think Continuity RCP really needs to reflect on what they actually said and how it would be perceived.

I'll drop it now.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
For what it's worth, I can tell you that I'm sitting here in Poland and waiting for your election results with bated breath, even though they have next to no influence on my own life. But Jeremy Corbyn is such an inspirational figure and Labour's policies are so good I am legitimately jealous you have a real chance to elect a government like that.

So, at the very least, you can take some pride in that, I guess.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

RabidWeasel posted:

https://friendsoftheearth.uk/general-election/general-election-2019-manifestos-final-scores

Here's the link, I haven't had a chance to look into it in any detail yet.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think my point is, as someone who has suffered with (admittedly, and thankfully, mild) depression for most of my life, being told "Just be optimistic!" is about as useful a piece of advice as telling me to just flap my arms and fly, and veers dangerously close to the sort of "Get over yourself" bullshit I've had to put up with from far too many people in my life.

I understand though that for other people, a "fake it till you make it" attitude is their way of coping, and I respect that, and that having more pessimistic people around them can hurt that. That doesn't make it excusable to tell people to get out, and it *certainly* doesn't make that "wallowing in despair" remark cool and I think Continuity RCP really needs to reflect on what they actually said and how it would be perceived.

I'll drop it now.

They literally apologised, you must have missed it. I think we can all agree that in general we're all tripping over ourselves to be as compassionate as possible to the plight of others whatever that may be, however we're still human with complex moods and emotions and limits on patience. Sometimes, someone snaps at something before thinking. The good comrade then apologises for it. Which is what Continuity RCP went on to do.

We're all making GBS threads our pants in some degree or another over this election and the result on Thursday night and I can totally understand briefly losing your temper with the umpteenth "wa doomed" when you're putting your all into motivating yourself and others to try and get this over the line. It feels more personal when it's brought about by the enemy's tactics designed to do that very thing. You've let them get to you

In short, stop slapfighting with each other past the point it serves any purpose. Correct as a group by all means when one of us steps out/says something hurtful but continuing to berate someone publicly because a particular misstep is especially personal to you, stops being constructive pretty quickly.

In the reverse I get where GDT is coming from here too with the reverse of running out of patience with the belittling of feeling despondent while being able to do gently caress all about it.

SOLIDARITY people.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bundy posted:

Why are we dogpiling RCP for something that was said, rolled back and apologised for and the initial recipient accepted the apology?

Keeping this thread as positive as we can is a good thing but we have to do it in an empathetic way and RCP was being a right dick

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

RabidWeasel posted:

Friends of the Earth posted:

The Labour Party manifesto from the start contained very strong, funded policies on home energy efficiency and renewable energy. Additional environmental commitments were subsequently announced during their election campaign, including an ambitious pledge on tree planting, a detailed policy on food and commitment to strong environmental law and enforcement in its "Plan for Nature", plus significant public transport and cycling announcements.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Rarity posted:

Keeping this thread as positive as we can is a good thing but we have to do it in an empathetic way and RCP was being a right dick

Something we're all capable of doing and I think the last thing we need as a genuine social group is the fear of ever loving up because boy howdy are you gonna get it if you do even if you apologise.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Rarity posted:

As one of the people involved in the whole flap I'd like everyone to drop it now please

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Bundy posted:

Something we're all capable of doing and I think the last thing we need as a genuine social group is the fear of ever loving up because boy howdy are you gonna get it if you do even if you apologise.

Continuity RCP did apologise, but then continued being a dick towards Twisto. I tried a polite approach to the initial transgression, not having seen the apology. It didn't work. Everything since then has been CRCP being snide while claiming to be the reasonable one.

I am perfectly happy to drop this, but this is what happened. No one should fear the consequences of loving up, but neither should they fear the consequences of admitting doubt.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i say this not out of any psephological insight or anything but rather the general trend that the most likely outcome is the most stupid: top comedy option is the conservatives technically being the largest party but not having enough to form a majority, and spending the next five years harumphing about how they should be entitled to all the power because one of their numbers is higher than one of the other numbers

e: this being a comedy option and not a tragedy option depends on the lib dems not leaping into government with them and/or not being able, so uh

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah the apology rings a bit hollow when you go on to be a massive dickhead afterwards

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The future is uncertain. Rather than place our bets on what will happen to prove ourselves right or wrong after the ballots are cast, we have a chance to address a certain truth. Our hopes and fears of potential outcomes are certainly things we feel right now. I don't want to dismiss these by wagering again on the outcome either way, or distract from them by attempt at a balance of probabilities on the outcome, but to acknowledge that our hopes and fears are sincerely felt here today.

If you do want to wager on the outcome we have a sweepstakes, though. Also analysis and balancing of probabilities can be interesting. I just don't think these are where to go when I say "I'm worried" and/or "I'm excited".

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Dec 7, 2019

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Azza Bamboo posted:

The future is uncertain. Rather than place our bets on what will happen to prove ourselves right or wrong after the ballots are cast, we have a chance to address a certain truth. Our hopes and fears of potential outcomes are certainly things we feel right now. I don't want to dismiss these by wagering again on the outcome either way, or distract from them by attempt at a balance of probabilities on the outcome, but to acknowledge that our hopes and fears are sincerely felt here today.

but but if we say a thing will happen and then the thing happens then we'll be able to spend the next five years using it as a gotcha in arguments on the forums!! and then we will win everything. haha lol u saying murder is bad BUT your predction of seat counts was out by 34!!! thirty four!!! gently caress u all. and so on. we will be as kings

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I didn't make my sweepstakes prediction in earnest. I just wanted to put in a bid for a sex toy so that I have something to look forward to in the event of a huge Tory majority.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

So I march over to the Labour Party HQ and I knock on the door and say "Corbyyyyyn! Jeremy Cooooooorbyyyyn!", and guess what - there is no Corbyn. Corbyn never existed. This whole political spectrum is a goddamn ghost town!

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlfjixAInFY

Some good music coming out of this election

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1vtJcXamSc

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Dec 7, 2019

superliminal
Jun 2, 2010
https://twitter.com/trillingual/status/1203291719707635713

loving hell

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah I know. It's not stopping me going out today or whatever. I'm just personally struggling with it right now. I have to settle for defiance rather than hope in my current state

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Honestly, I find defiance and righteous anger pretty useful for getting through the bouts of deep pessimism and despair in general, not even when talking politics. I've had depression in varying levels of intensity for 20+ years, half of that undiagnosed/unmedicated, and when it'd get bad enough, no amount of "fake it 'til you make it" and "just smile" worked, because the pretension itself would be too emotionally taxing. Whereas, for me at least, learning to turn that around into defiance helped because that layer of fakery got removed. You are not pretending everything's fine. Rather, you know everything's hosed, maybe even yourself included, but despite that you're choosing to defy it and keep fighting, even if just to prove the point, even if just on principle, even if just to piss off the wankers who would very much like for you to give up and continue pretending. That in itself is empowering, and allows you to channel that despair into the fire that gets you doing things instead of giving in to the urge of curling up into a little motionless ball and staying there until the end of the world.

Doesn't even matter how big or significant the "doing things" part would be considered by anyone else's standards. Sometimes, for some of us, even choosing to draw breath instead of getting drawn into non-being can be an act of defiance.

If you had it bad enough, be proud that you're still here, because that fact alone is an accomplishment. And if you could accomplish that much, why should you let some dead-eyed zombies discourage you from accomplishing even more? Knowing the world is hosed is the first step to changing it. Things can get better. Ideally, in five days. But even if it takes longer, perhaps even so long as to span generations, at least we'll know we've been here, and we tried, and we helped. Step by defiant step.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Last week of the election. gently caress it.

:toxx: If the Conservative Party forms the next UK government at Westminster, I will donate £20 to Mermaids. :toxx:

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

It ain't over till its over..

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

PriorMarcus posted:

Its okay. The last time I came in here to voice my despair I had pages of people telling me to gently caress off and calling me a traitor.
Don't undersell yourself, you got told to gently caress off for your diet pissflaps routine:

PriorMarcus posted:

So, genuine question; what happens when Labour looses and we get a Tory majority large enough to push their legislation? Because, honestly, that's looking like the most likely scenario right now.

What are everyone's personal plans for survival?

I'm thinking it's time to look at moving abroad into Europe before Brexit shuts out that option, because I don't think their will be anything left here for me.

What about Labour? I think it's fair to say that Corbyn needs to stand down after this. If he looses another GE to this opposition then he's clearly just bad at getting elected. You can argue, correctly, that the media is biased against him, but he's also very bad at playing that game, etc.

Thoughts?
:v:

Continuity RCP posted:

Okay. Hope is a lie, friends
Be less of a petulant oval office mate

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
Went out leafleting today. I think I prefer canvassing honestly. The area got busier and busier as time went on, and while I did get a few good conversations going and lots of flyers handed out about the New Green Deal, I’m really not comfortable with bustling crowds. Had one guy get in my face to shout that Corbyn was the biggest bigot he’d ever seen in his life.
Most people were Xmas shopping and weren’t interested. Didn’t help that Jehovah’s Witnesses set up next to us about 45 minutes later either, I thought.

Hey, I’m not discouraged. Just glad it’s back to canvassing tomorrow - a bit quieter and friendlier.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

MI5 are briefing nazi talking points to a fascist newspaper to directly influence the election/trigger angry dads into beating the poo poo out of labour activists. this is extraordinarily bad.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Ah, 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon as a political argument

Also, "you know who else liked DOGS? uh? that's right..."

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Venomous posted:

:toxx: If the Conservative Party forms the next UK government at Westminster, I will donate £20 to Mermaids. :toxx:

If the Tories form the next UK government, someone should donate several thousand pounds to me.

Pochoclo posted:

Ah, 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon as a political argument

Or in this case, 6 degrees of Fash to Bacon.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

If the Tories form the next UK government, someone should donate several thousand pounds to me.

Or in this case, 6 degrees of Fash to Bacon.

This is very anti-Semitic of you

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

gh0stpinballa posted:

MI5 are briefing nazi talking points to a fascist newspaper to directly influence the election/trigger angry dads into beating the poo poo out of labour activists. this is extraordinarily bad.
It's at least a good example of how utterly unhinged the media is in this country. It's purestrain conspiracy theorist insanity being pushed by a mainstream newspaper.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bundy posted:

This is very anti-Semitic of you

Well, I try to follow in the steps of my leader Jeremy Corbyn. Thanks for noticing.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Venomous posted:

I'll match that :toxx:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Out in Uxbridge with Ali Milani in a heavy Tory area. Converted 10 non voters to Labour though 💪

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well that's a few hundred more houses lettered at least.

Still really struggling with the brain problems but I have feet and hands and can put things in letterboxes.

I really wish we canvassed in pairs.