Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DONT TOUCH THE PC posted:

Where does that leave the Danes?

You are the owls in the marsh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Danes are Racism Germans. Alternatively Flatland Germans

Yeah, go with Flatland Germans, cause all the subspecies of elf/German are racists.

Alhazred posted:

But I'm not even Danish!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

But I'm not even Danish!

Everyone that's south of Norway are basically danes.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Alhazred posted:

Aha, so that's where the dog is buried!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Traditionally (and perhaps still), tram drivers in Belgium and France were known as Wattman.

Nanananana Wattmaaaan.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Where does that leave the Danes?

Surrounded.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Apparently 70% of Polish are loan words, but I guess that can be said about any language

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Carbon dioxide posted:

Traditionally (and perhaps still), tram drivers in Belgium and France were known as Wattman.

Nanananana Wattmaaaan.

Batman was an Aussie and founded Melbourne

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Frodo's batman was the real hero of John Ronald Reuel Tolkien's classic single-volume novel, Lord of the Rings.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Nanananana Wattmaaaan.

that explains this comic then:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

canis minor posted:

Apparently 70% of Polish are loan words, but I guess that can be said about any language

Language as a whole is actually a really weird thing full of stuff that doesn't make sense because people in general are weird and don't make sense.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Dutch has quite a few expressions using words that have gone out of use centuries ago. Those expressions are now the only time those words are still used, and their actual meaning is not something most people would know unless having been told or read about. Sometimes these words look like words that are still in use, but mean something completely different, which makes the expression completely bizar.

My favourite is “Ben je een haartje betoeterd?”.
A “haartje” is a little hair. “Betoeterd” is an archaic word that is only still used in this expression - ‘toeter’ however, is still used, meaning a musical horn of any kind. The verb that discribes using a toeter is toeteren, which has ‘to toot’ as a cognate in English.
Using this meaning, “betoeterd” would mean to have been the subject of tooting; tooting has been done to you, you are now in a state of betootment.

“Ben je een haartje betoeterd?”, Are you a little hair tooted? (!?!?)
It doesn’t even make sense grammatically.

“Betoeterd” actually comes from “beteuterd”, which used to mean something like dumb, or simple. The little hair was probably just to mean ‘a little bit’. Which is what the expression means: are you a bit simple? You use it in response to somebody doing something baffling.

But I like the idea of asking somebody if they have recently been assaulted by tooting as a reason for their stupidity better.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

A fun language thing is "phono-semantic matching" which is what happens when a new word is introduced to a language from elsewhere and the speakers go "wait this makes no sense, I must’ve misheard" and create a new word following phonetic and/or semantic rules of their language to mask the foreign etymology. A nice example of this is German Hängematte (=hammock) which like its English counterpart comes from the Taíno hamáka. But where the English simply adopted the word into their lexicon with comparatively little change 16th century Germany instead came up with a "hanging mat" as their word :v:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

System Metternich posted:

A fun language thing is "phono-semantic matching" which is what happens when a new word is introduced to a language from elsewhere and the speakers go "wait this makes no sense, I must’ve misheard" and create a new word following phonetic and/or semantic rules of their language to mask the foreign etymology. A nice example of this is German Hängematte (=hammock) which like its English counterpart comes from the Taíno hamáka. But where the English simply adopted the word into their lexicon with comparatively little change 16th century Germany instead came up with a "hanging mat" as their word :v:

wait arent those also called calques, when the translation isnt literal but just a combination of similar native words that make sense?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The English equivalent might be 'hoist by his own petard'. Petard being an old French word for farting that was, in inspired fashion, used for early explosives.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

or the danish version: "hevet op i sit eget prutværk"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What immediately strikes me about this is Hängematte is 100% what they would've named it even if they had never heard the word hamáka or a version of that. A certain William might have something to say about whether this is an occurrence of phono-semantic matching or not.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Why did they pick "das Handy" though

I won't buy a handy unless it's from Steve Jobs!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Such Fun posted:

Dutch has quite a few expressions using words that have gone out of use centuries ago. Those expressions are now the only time those words are still used, and their actual meaning is not something most people would know unless having been told or read about. Sometimes these words look like words that are still in use, but mean something completely different, which makes the expression completely bizar.

My favourite is “Ben je een haartje betoeterd?”.
A “haartje” is a little hair. “Betoeterd” is an archaic word that is only still used in this expression - ‘toeter’ however, is still used, meaning a musical horn of any kind. The verb that discribes using a toeter is toeteren, which has ‘to toot’ as a cognate in English.
Using this meaning, “betoeterd” would mean to have been the subject of tooting; tooting has been done to you, you are now in a state of betootment.

“Ben je een haartje betoeterd?”, Are you a little hair tooted? (!?!?)
It doesn’t even make sense grammatically.

“Betoeterd” actually comes from “beteuterd”, which used to mean something like dumb, or simple. The little hair was probably just to mean ‘a little bit’. Which is what the expression means: are you a bit simple? You use it in response to somebody doing something baffling.

But I like the idea of asking somebody if they have recently been assaulted by tooting as a reason for their stupidity better.

PFY Historical Fun Fact: You are now in a state of betootment

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

getting a free handy from deutsche telecom is alright. its one of the few ways to get mobilfunk with your handy so

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Clam-shell handy with the pull-out antenna.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Probably a shortening of "handheld", I guess? Or some PR guy thought that it would sound cooler that way :v: another example is German "der Beamer", which means a video projector and apparently comes from the first of its kind being the "VideoBeam 1000"

Krankenstyle posted:

wait arent those also called calques, when the translation isnt literal but just a combination of similar native words that make sense?

miiiiiight be? I honestly have no idea about what is a calque and what isn’t :shobon:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

miiiiiight be? I honestly have no idea about what is a calque and what isn’t :shobon:

tbh i dont neither it just sounds right. also every time i hear or read the word i remember indiana jones calquing that templar grave underneath venice. that is not the english word for rubbing chalk or crayons onto a paper on some bas relief, but it is the danish word. i dont know what it would be, the english word for that

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

It's just called 'rubbing'. Making rubbings of ornamental brass plaques from churches was common at one time - presumably before people had cameras, so tourists would make a rubbing of a plaque, a gravestone, or some carved stonework as a memento.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

rubbing huh

lame.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Sweevo posted:

It's just called 'rubbing'. Making rubbings of ornamental brass plaques from churches was common at one time - presumably before people had cameras, so tourists would make a rubbing of a plaque, a gravestone, or some carved stonework as a memento.

That brings me back. I rubbed one out in a few churches when I was a kid.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

There's a really easy mnemonic for this: The word "loanword" is a calque, but the word "calque" is a loanword. That is to say, "calque" was borrowed directly from French without an attempt at translation, the definition of a loanword, and the word "loanword" was translated from das Lehnwort, so it was calqued rather than loaned.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Sweevo posted:

In German it's called Abklatsch (lit. "clapping off", I guess), which outside of this historic or practical sense is normally used for an inferior replacement of something. I used to abklatsch Pfennig coins back in school when I was bored (Oh God, it's been almost 18 years since they abolished the Pfennig :corsair:)

Mister Olympus posted:

There's a really easy mnemonic for this: The word "loanword" is a calque, but the word "calque" is a loanword. That is to say, "calque" was borrowed directly from French without an attempt at translation, the definition of a loanword, and the word "loanword" was translated from das Lehnwort, so it was calqued rather than loaned.

That's a great mnemonic, thanks! Have a fun fact in exchange: In German, mnemonics are called Eselsbrücken or literally "donkey bridges" :v:

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

(Oh God, it's been almost 18 years since they abolished the Pfennig :corsair:)

Bosnia and Herzegovina still uses the Pfenning and the Mark. They created the Bosnian Convertible Mark in the nineties and pegged it to the Deutschmark. It is still in use and you still get two marks for one euro.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

remember when a deutschmark was 4 danish kroner, and a danish krone was 4 czechoslovakian korona. i bought a bag of candy for i think 3.50 czech, it tasted like soap.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
On the other hand their soap was delicious

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Milo and POTUS posted:

On the other hand their soap was delicious

nooo, it wasnt at all, why would you say that

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

nooo, it wasnt at all, why would you say that

So you did taste the soap.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jerry Cotton posted:

So you did taste the soap.

when in rome

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Krankenstyle posted:

when in rome

Where are you finding Czech soap in Rome?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Straight White Shark posted:

You have to know the right shops to Czech.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

In German it's called Abklatsch (lit. "clapping off", I guess), which outside of this historic or practical sense is normally used for an inferior replacement of something. I used to abklatsch Pfennig coins back in school when I was bored (Oh God, it's been almost 18 years since they abolished the Pfennig :corsair:)

That's a great mnemonic, thanks! Have a fun fact in exchange: In German, mnemonics are called Eselsbrücken or literally "donkey bridges" :v:

Why? I'm trying to puzzle my way through this, and not coming up with anything.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Straight White Shark posted:

I know a guy.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I know a guy.

I know an Italian sound engineer. I know a Czech one, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Tunicate posted:

The popular word for cell phones in German is "Handy", which German teachers *insist* is the English word for cell phone and not proper German.

It's short for Handfunktelefon stop snickering

In Korean, it's "hand-phone". So similar to Handy, but without the language purity wank