Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

SlothBear posted:

So I got PSLF.

So that's cool.

It went through? Congrats. I'd heard De Vos was slow walking applications for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

There's a couple ways to make it. You can use ice cream.

Or the regular drink which is basically like this (imperial units only)

1.5 oz bourbon
1/2 oz simple syrup
2 oz milk
Splash vanilla extract

Shake everything vigorously with ice until it gets cold and frothy. Strain into a glass and sprinkle with ground nutmeg. You can also drink it on the rocks if you want. Some recipes call for another 1/4 oz dark rum which seems fine to me. Some recipes use cream too but if you're using full cream raw milk I bet you should be okay.

lmbo

How well does this travel? Can I make a jug of it and take it places or does the milk go bad if it sits with the booze for a while

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

EwokEntourage posted:

How well does this travel? Can I make a jug of it and take it places or does the milk go bad if it sits with the booze for a while

I’ve made a thermos of it to take hunting (when I expect to be doing more shooting the poo poo than shooting birds) and it lasts a few hours fine I think. Just keep it cold.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Eggnog can be aged for months and months because of its alcohol content. I suspect (without any evidence) that the milk punch should be fine for a day given Phil's ratio.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
When asked about his new tesla model s, the jury foreman said "I don't remember."

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Kalman posted:

Congrats on being part of the 0.01%!

The system works!

mastershakeman posted:

Congrats, that's like winning the lottery! Were you on ibr the whole time leading up to it?

Pretty much yeah, recertifying and submitting employment verification yearly.

sullat posted:

It went through? Congrats. I'd heard De Vos was slow walking applications for that.

It actually only took about 60 days after I applied. I figured they'd try to find a way to deny it, but Christmas miracles do happen.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Congrats. How much was forgiven? I wanna see some eye-popping #'s.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

SlothBear posted:

So I got PSLF.

So that's cool.

Congrats.

I need to just send in my certification letter now and swap to fedloan but my current loan servicer isn't entirely staffed by demons and devils so it's difficult.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

SlothBear posted:

Pretty much yeah, recertifying and submitting employment verification yearly.

This part is super-annoying. I sent in the annual re-certification like two months ago and it still hasn't processed.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Buddy of mine making news for righteous indignation.

“This will not stand, man.”

https://indyweek.com/news/orange/t-...An44yOCxuxzzdeg

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/jonswaine/status/1203410238331863042

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
For some reason I was imagining milk punch being served in a tumbler

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

It can be! When a bartender is in the weeds I don’t call out glassware.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Look at this dapper motherfucker! Is that a lapel pin or did you spill your drink?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

Congrats. How much was forgiven? I wanna see some eye-popping #'s.

Nearly a quarter million. IBR didn't even cover the interest payments, so that was higher than the debt I graduated with. Watching that pile up every year with no real guarantee this would work was pretty painful, but it paid off in the end.

Eminent Domain posted:

Congrats.

I need to just send in my certification letter now and swap to fedloan but my current loan servicer isn't entirely staffed by demons and devils so it's difficult.

This decision got made for me when the old company I had got brought out, I was sure it would screw me in some way as all their online records just vanished, but Fedloan was the one who acquired them and it was all integrated seamlessly. This was back before DeVos so lord only knows what would happen now.

sullat posted:

This part is super-annoying. I sent in the annual re-certification like two months ago and it still hasn't processed.

Two to three months was pretty typical for me.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I got prospective jury noticed in my mail.

I gave it to one of the other junior lawyers in the firm and they made it go away. Not even doing minute tasks yourself and giving it to someone else? Is this what being a lawyer is all about?

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Dec 8, 2019

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
A. I’d really like to be on a jury.
B. How do you just “make it go away” where you are. Here, unless they missed the fact you’re exempt by statute, you’re going.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

ActusRhesus posted:

B. How do you just “make it go away” where you are. Here, unless they missed the fact you’re exempt by statute, you’re going.

In my jurisdiction, lawyers are automatically excluded/ineligible for jury duty.

E: looks like it's only practicing lawyers who are ineligible at a federal level, but all lawyers at a state.

Whitlam fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 8, 2019

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Whitlam posted:

In my jurisdiction, practicing lawyers are automatically excluded/ineligible for jury duty.

ActusRhesus posted:

Because I was admitted in another state I wasn't automatically excluded because they run it against the solicitor roll. My coworker just sent through a copy of the practicing solicitor list with me on it and I got excluded.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I got a jury summons on a file I was prosecuting once

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah. Ours are straight up random generated lists. Very few full exemptions. Teachers can apply for a deferment until summer. Lawyers aren’t exempt but usually booted during voir dire.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

ActusRhesus posted:

Yeah. Ours are straight up random generated lists. Very few full exemptions. Teachers can apply for a deferment until summer. Lawyers aren’t exempt but usually booted during voir dire.

According to my trial ad class ages ago, lawyers get impaneled all the time in DC because otherwise half the town would be effectively ineligible.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
One of the public defenders in my new office got called for jury duty recently. He was excused, I believe after stating his fervent belief that he would vote to acquit anyone of any charge, regardless, period.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

One of the public defenders in my new office got called for jury duty recently. He was excused, I believe after stating his fervent belief that he would vote to acquit anyone of any charge, regardless, period.

Doubt a lawyer said that in front of a judge

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

terrorist ambulance posted:

Doubt a lawyer said that in front of a judge

Oh I'm sure he phrased it better in the courtroom rather than the office

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
He wouldn't convict Hitler? Sounds like he's a real piece of poo poo!

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Charming.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

No ethical conviction under the US justice system

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I got out of jury duty by discussing the case of prosecutorial misconduct our firm had just won on a pro bono case.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Phil Moscowitz posted:

No ethical conviction under the US legal system

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Going by the docket, the next hearing in Sanction my Bag of Dicks is on Dec 16. Eagerly looking forward to how that shakes out, very much hoping that there will be a transcript of proceedings posted ASAP.

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/16206729/alan-baker-v-allstate-insurance-company/

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I got called for jury duty for a criminal trial, honestly answered that I wouldn't be biased in any way (by pure chance I knew neither the prosecutor nor the defense attorney or anything about the case), but got struck by a peremptory from the state. If they didn't actually have much a case it was a smart move because I would have held them to reasonable doubt but if they were just striking me because I'm a defense attorney that was probably dumb of them. Oh well I didn't really want to spend all night working because I was stuck in a jury box all day anyway.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Saw an oil and gas lawyer sit on a jury panel for a car wreck case. He slept thru the whole trial

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Meatbag Esq. posted:

According to my trial ad class ages ago, lawyers get impaneled all the time in DC because otherwise half the town would be effectively ineligible.

Yeah, the one time I got called while I lived in the district I got seated. (I was in the original panel and neither side wanted to waste a peremptory on me - I also wasn’t trying to get out of it.) Lawyers are only like 10% of DC’s population, but that’s still a huge chunk of your jury pool to completely exclude.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I’ve never been called and good thing because I would waste all day just to be peremptorily struck (stricken?)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I badly want to be on a jury but at this point I've accepted that it's probably not going to happen.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
We don't have juries any more.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

I got called during law school and they kept me on. Haven't been called up since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I've been summoned 3 times for jury duty and been dismissed each time although I've tried to stay on.