Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm watching my previous Constituency; The Vale of Glamorgan to see if noted rape endorser Alun Cairns gets voted in again. Only seen a few signs around on land with his name on them.

Oh gently caress sake; 113 is probably the amount of votes Lib Dems will get here.

Year 113: Emperor Trajan sails from Rome to begin his expedition against Parthia. He arrives in Athens where Parthian envoys greets him with olive branches, a sign of peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Angepain posted:

Uxbridge and South Ruislip - some guy named Boris, seems like a bit of an arse, i'm sure the electorate will do the sensible thing and vote for his opponent

The Labour candidate Ali Milani has won the coveted Lord Buckethead endorsement

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it's worth noting that Dennis Skinner's opponent gained votes from a collapsing UKIP in 2017 (conservatives gaining 8000ish votes almost 1:1 from UKIP losing that number) and as such his majority decreased, but in the sense he got more than 50% of the total votes in 2015 his majority increased in 2017.

if bolstover winds up a swing seat the election is already badly lost.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Has anybody got the link to the seat betting spreadsheet? It doesn't seem to be in the OP, would be nice to get more people putting down WOT THEY REKON for some levity and money towards charity :)

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

CoolCab posted:

it's worth noting that Dennis Skinner's opponent gained votes from a collapsing UKIP in 2017 (conservatives gaining 8000ish votes almost 1:1 from UKIP losing that number) and as such his majority decreased, but in the sense he got more than 50% of the total votes in 2015 his majority increased in 2017.

if bolstover winds up a swing seat the election is already badly lost.

By the Skinnerv 'is teef.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

All this tactical voting/Hugh Grant stuff is worrying me. They're obviously doing interpretive dance forms of those loving bar charts.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Angepain posted:

I'm currently putting together my personal list of constituencies to keep an eye on during the results, if anyone has any suggestions for constituencies that are interesting or generally might be gained or lost by a thread favourite/enemy/meme let me know. here's my list so far, which may be skewed toward my own narrow interests:

Bolsover - Dennis Skinner
Brighton Pavillion - Caroline Lucas (pretty safe now but you always know it's past time for bed when this seat gets called)
Chingford and Woodford Green - IDS
Cities of London and Westminster - Chuka Umunna
East Dunbartonshire - Jo Swinson
Edinburgh South West - Joanna Cherry (she'll probably win this one and her main opposition is a Tory, but I'm keeping an eye regardless)
Glasgow South - Johann Lamont (labour terf wings is endorsing)
Ilford South - watch Mike Gapes lose
Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath - expelled SNP candidate Neale Hanvey vs. labour
Richmond Park - I'm just staggered that zac goldsmith still has a political career in tyool 2019, even with a 2017 majority of 45 people
Stirling - Conservative majority of 148 in 2017
Uxbridge and South Ruislip - some guy named Boris, seems like a bit of an arse, i'm sure the electorate will do the sensible thing and vote for his opponent

Thurrock - 300-vote lead for the Tories in 2017 in what's probably the most-Leave constituency in the south-east, and one where the Labour leaver>UKIP>Tory pipeline has been in full effect. a big swing in either direction here will give a pretty good sign of what way the election's going.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Two former Tory-voting local businessmen have done little videos for us endorsing Labour!

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Bundy posted:

All this tactical voting/Hugh Grant stuff is worrying me. They're obviously doing interpretive dance forms of those loving bar charts.

Don't worry what's the worst that could happe...

Oh. Right.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Birkenhead - one of the activists I spoke to from there thinks we'll win, but its closer than he'd like (based on anecdotal stuff from his canvassing). also you might get to see Frank field lose his seat

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

RockyB posted:

Don't worry what's the worst that could happe...

Oh. Right.

Ah, so that's what will be standing in for Boris in the Andrew Neil interview, yes?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Braggart posted:

Ah, so that's what will be standing in for Boris in the Andrew Neil interview, yes?

Jo Swinson?

I mean if he wins, probably she will be doing exactly that from here until the heat death of the universe.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
also I noticed John Mann has changed his Twitter account to @LordJohnMann

very much the same energy as the guy from my work who has PhD (Cantab) in his email signature

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Is there a word for the amount of glee i would feel for Swinson losing her seat?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

serious gaylord posted:

Is there a word for the amount of glee i would feel for Swinson losing her seat?

Liberale Demokraten-schadenfreude

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

Isn't that what eudaimonia is?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Jo Swinson?

I mean if he wins, probably she will be doing exactly that from here until the heat death of the universe.

No, the Boris doll ;)

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1202638447992807425

And this is who will replace Jo in future debates:

You can trust me, I'm the spokesperson for the Lib Dems.

Also I'm cute and fluffy :getin:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

serious gaylord posted:

I believe the Germans call it Eichhörnchensicherheitsfreude

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: :lol:

OwlFancier posted:

Isn't that what eudaimonia is?
E U P H O R I C

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Josef bugman posted:

How long before the Guardian (the observer :smug: ) goes full right wing and says that Labour must be stopped before they let poor people into our houses.

Also, not been able to do as much as I would like this week as I keep getting home and just falling asleep because I am depressed, but I am trying to share things and get as much done as possible.

I love you all, and I really hope we win this.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Thurrock - 300-vote lead for the Tories in 2017 in what's probably the most-Leave constituency in the south-east, and one where the Labour leaver>UKIP>Tory pipeline has been in full effect. a big swing in either direction here will give a pretty good sign of what way the election's going.
I always confuse Thurrock with the teacake and caramel wafer people.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Should I be worried that the lib dems are collapsing too much and won't be able to win any CON/LIB marginals?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Nettle Soup posted:

My friend is worrying about a Labour government, because the house she'll inherit when her parents die is worth over 450k. Her parents are both voting Tory because of the marriage tax allowance thing, inheritance tax and because "We don't like corbyn"

She's also disabled and waking up with panic attacks at 5am to write letters to the dwp begging they don't take her money away. Most of her family is disabled. She has a court appeal next week.

It's weird.

Way, way behind in this thread, and I know she's possibly voting Labour, but in these situations what happens if one/both of the parents need residential care when they are older? They won't get it for free with a house worth almost half a million. How much will the child/ren inherit once the house is sold and social care fees have been paid?

Junkenstein posted:

What are some good examples of parts of the NHS that have already been privatised, to counter the 'if tories wanted to sell the NHS they would have done it by now' bullshit?

Hingchingbrooke Hospital is a good go-to example of how privatisation screws over *everyone*. It's a general hospital with A&E in Cambridgeshire. In 2010 Circle Health took on a 10-year contract to run it. Within 4 years staff turnover was up, the financial deficit was so large the Health Secretary had to get involved, the CQC's health inspection rated it as 'inadequate', and it was ranked as the second least-efficient hospital in England. In 2015 Circle handed the hospital back to the NHS five years earlier than agreed, because it was 'no longer viable'.

In 2016 the hospital was rated 'good' and taken out of special measures.

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

So I'm taking to someone who just tried to use Corbyn scrapping the married tax allowance as a gotcha, because it'll affect lower income couples. Any advice on what to reply with?

At the maximium, it's equivalent to 68p per day. Labour's increase in the minimum wage, additional free childcare and free internet will more than offset that.

You can claim Marriage Allowance in a civil partnership please stop telling people you can't and that's why it's being scrapped.

Pochoclo posted:

PS What's a good charity to donate to that helps the homeless and doesn't have some monstrous dark secret?

It's not quite what you're after, but Citizen's Advice and Supprt Through Court will give people facing eviction and other housing legal problems free help and advice, since people can't get legal aid for those types of cases. These charities undoubtedly prevent people from being made homeless in the first place.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Angepain posted:

I'm currently putting together my personal list of constituencies to keep an eye on during the results, if anyone has any suggestions for constituencies that are interesting or generally might be gained or lost by a thread favourite/enemy/meme let me know. here's my list so far, which may be skewed toward my own narrow interests:

Bolsover - Dennis Skinner
Brighton Pavillion - Caroline Lucas (pretty safe now but you always know it's past time for bed when this seat gets called)
Chingford and Woodford Green - IDS
Cities of London and Westminster - Chuka Umunna
East Dunbartonshire - Jo Swinson
Edinburgh South West - Joanna Cherry (she'll probably win this one and her main opposition is a Tory, but I'm keeping an eye regardless)
Glasgow South - Johann Lamont (labour terf wings is endorsing)
Ilford South - watch Mike Gapes lose
Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath - expelled SNP candidate Neale Hanvey vs. labour
Richmond Park - I'm just staggered that zac goldsmith still has a political career in tyool 2019, even with a 2017 majority of 45 people
Stirling - Conservative majority of 148 in 2017

The seat to watch in Northern Ireland is definately Belfast North where DUP leader in the commons Nigel Dodds is fighting for his life against Sinn Fein's John Finucane after the SDLP withdrew from the running there (combined SF + SDLP votes here in the last election where within 23 votes of Dodds total).

Also likely to see the DUP lose Belfast South and Belfast East remains Alliances best bet to pick up a seat, even though they where 20% behind at the last election the only polling we've got has suggested a surge in support that could flip it to them.

Cumulitively that would see the DUP driven out of Belfast where they have steadily held at least one seat since 1979

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

kustomkarkommando posted:

The seat to watch in Northern Ireland is definately Belfast North where DUP leader in the commons Nigel Dodds is fighting for his life against Sinn Fein's John Finucane after the SDLP withdrew from the running there (combined SF + SDLP votes here in the last election where within 23 votes of Dodds total)

I changed my constituency to North Belfast a few days before the cut off specifically for this reason. Still haven't got my card or even an email to say that it's gone through.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

u brexit ukip it posted:

Should I be worried that the lib dems are collapsing too much and won't be able to win any CON/LIB marginals?

No, because Lib Dems are Tories. A Lib Dem collapse is good, because it means more votes to both Labour and Tories, but votes from Lib to Tory are basically Tory to Tory. So Lib collapse is a net positive to Labour. Quick maths

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

joedevola posted:

I changed my constituency to North Belfast a few days before the cut off specifically for this reason. Still haven't got my card or even an email to say that it's gone through.

Did you do it online or the old way? I was talking to someone who switched to Belfast South whos being grilled for utility bills and other info as a late registration, I think cause he moved between elections and the previous occupant was registered.

Might be worth your while going down to the Electoral Office on Church Street to get a straight answer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Boing posted:

No, because Lib Dems are Tories. A Lib Dem collapse is good, because it means more votes to both Labour and Tories, but votes from Lib to Tory are basically Tory to Tory. So Lib collapse is a net positive to Labour. Quick maths

I think in this specific instance a tory>lib seat shift would be very good for labour, though. Because we have a chance to break the tory momentum if they don't get a majority.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Braggart posted:

By the Skinnerv 'is teef.

Denniz Skinnerv is da biggest un! WAAAAGH!

Question - what is the best way to respond to trolls on Facebook. I've seen a few posting the usual "Corbyn is going to make us eat our pets like Venezuela :psyduck:" poo poo in one of the groups I'm a member of. For professional reasons I keep my social media interactions non-existent so I am suppressing a strong urge to start a flamewar. I tried looking them up to see if I could report them to our professional regulator, but they're non-existent so these are fake names or professional trolls. Am I stuck to reporting them to Facebook and the group admins? If I report to Facebook is there any combination of options that is most likely to get them banned?

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
https://twitter.com/tristandross/status/1203669342300364801?s=12

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is that... real?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Neil Cicierega???

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Incredible, I'm dying laughing here. The commenter who compared it to the ultimate expression of Tim and Eric's aesthetic is spot on

I N C R E D I B L E

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

video production is my passion

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

She made that herself with two VHS decks didn't she?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I feel like an emoji of a slowly expanding "INCREDIBLE" could get a lot of use here every time LD or CUK-TINGE gently caress it

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Z the IVth posted:

Question - what is the best way to respond to trolls on Facebook. I've seen a few posting the usual "Corbyn is going to make us eat our pets like Venezuela :psyduck:" poo poo in one of the groups I'm a member of. For professional reasons I keep my social media interactions non-existent so I am suppressing a strong urge to start a flamewar. I tried looking them up to see if I could report them to our professional regulator, but they're non-existent so these are fake names or professional trolls. Am I stuck to reporting them to Facebook and the group admins? If I report to Facebook is there any combination of options that is most likely to get them banned?

get your own fake account and start spamming goatse

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

kustomkarkommando posted:

Did you do it online or the old way? I was talking to someone who switched to Belfast South whos being grilled for utility bills and other info as a late registration, I think cause he moved between elections and the previous occupant was registered.

Might be worth your while going down to the Electoral Office on Church Street to get a straight answer.

Did it online. I'll head into town tomorrow with my lease and see if I can get it sorted. Imagine getting the DUP out of North Belfast. All 50,000 raggedy rear end union jacks will be flying at half mast.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Z the IVth posted:

Not defending their posts, but just because someone's name on FB is not findable elsewhere doesn't mean anything. I know a number of people (including myself) who do NOT use their 'professional' name on FB. Me because my name is quite rare and there are only about 2 of us in the UK so if you google my name, it's quite likely to be my stuff that comes up. Others because they are teachers, work with offenders, residential psychiatric patients or whatever. (As one got beaten up by a former patient almost 15 years after last caring for that patient, very understandable).

I think all you can do is report to admin and FB. If you report to admin and get nowhere, then if you report to FB enough times the group gets deleted by FB (is that an outcome you would welcome?). If they're actually threatening physical injury then you can report to police.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So I’m at my Niece’s birthday and my family is putting up Dawn Butler’s interview and making fun of labour. Half are voting Tories and the other half are Lib Dem. God help me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jimmydalad posted:

So I’m at my Niece’s birthday and my family is putting up Dawn Butler’s interview and making fun of labour. Half are voting Tories and the other half are Lib Dem. God help me.

gas leak imo. go play outside with the kids