Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
You don't bargain for your life, but you do roll to not die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Just play FATAL, you cowards.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

PYF comic in a nutshell: https://twitter.com/devtesla/status/1202987912876441606?s=19

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Kennel posted:

Just play FATAL, you cowards.

Fatal isn't even the worst one I've played outside of how offensive it is. There's a weird Russian RPG I tried that involved specific rules for exactly how and where to roll your dice, and explicitly banned you from doing anything not written in the rules. And the rules only let you buy a thing in a town (only one though), fight (in specific areas and specific times) and travel (across a 100% randomly generated world with no landmarks or way to go to a specific location).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dare we peek inside?

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
:suicide:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

Dare we peek inside?

Go back in time and prevent RPGs from ever being invented.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I got the first one collection, it wasn't bad and Rick ended up with comeuppance from Jerry.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
plus my friend does art for that comic and she's good and her art is good and no one gets to be mean to her.

thanks for the suggestion on Feng Shui, this is LITERALLY the game i was looking for for years now.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

FFT posted:

I got the first one collection, it wasn't bad and Rick ended up with comeuppance from Jerry.

I've heard it's good. Rick and Morty is usually good but it has terrible fans.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

plus my friend does art for that comic and she's good and her art is good and no one gets to be mean to her.

thanks for the suggestion on Feng Shui, this is LITERALLY the game i was looking for for years now.

The best thing you can do in Feng Shui is break into someones home and rearrange their furniture just enough to give them bad luck.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aramoro posted:

The best thing you can do in Feng Shui is break into someones home and rearrange their furniture just enough to give them bad luck.

You're thinking of Shadowrun.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tiggum posted:

You're thinking of Shadowrun.

Break into someone's computer and rearrange their icons?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Push El Burrito posted:

I've heard it's good. Rick and Morty is usually good but it has terrible fans.

See: Invader Zim

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Don Gato posted:

Fatal isn't even the worst one I've played outside of how offensive it is. There's a weird Russian RPG I tried that involved specific rules for exactly how and where to roll your dice, and explicitly banned you from doing anything not written in the rules. And the rules only let you buy a thing in a town (only one though), fight (in specific areas and specific times) and travel (across a 100% randomly generated world with no landmarks or way to go to a specific location).

That sounds amazing(ly bad), do you remember its name?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Wait a minute! That's not new at all!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Shai-Hulud posted:

Wait a minute! That's not new at all!

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Don’t post comics by this piece of poo poo

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Holy hell, how has Dilbert been going on since the '80s, I thought it came around a good decade later. Ah, for those simpler times when we thought he was just a blandly relatable former office guy instead of a smug, hateful CHUD :sigh:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Scott Adams is weird and dumb but I always thought Dilbert was pretty good for a newspaper comic

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The first few years of Dilbert were very good, but that was a long time ago.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

"Look, there is even a Dilbert cartoon!"

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Len posted:

Plus how many other games have "roll to cheat death" as a mechanic?

Dark Souls?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phlegmish posted:

Scott Adams is weird and dumb but I always thought Dilbert was pretty good for a newspaper comic

same

the old animated series was alright

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm sorry to have brought this up. I offer you SHKYA as a token of my repentance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opVzmk_zOTA

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Randaconda posted:

same

It's weird that it uses the same song from the opening of the Elfman brothers movie Forbidden Zone. Don't look it up if you are sensitive to black face.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Phlegmish posted:

I've been reading the local paper and their comics as an excuse to get out of my office in the morning, and even there he has plenty of subtle and not-so-subtle jabs at women in the workplace.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Scott Adams is a raging misogynist, homophobe, and nazi-sympathizer. Everything he creates is by definition worthless.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Randaconda posted:

I thought the tone of the animated series was weird.

The comic (especially the earlier years, which I'm more familiar with) presents Dilbert as a nerd who survives an uncaring and irrational corporate existence with a mostly sanguine attitude. In spite of this environment, Dilbert often manages to come out ahead and find satisfaction in his work. Overall, Dilbert is written as a sympathetic protagonist.

The animated series presents Dilbert as a clueless, whiny nerd which the universe endlessly dunks on. He never wins, he never gets ahead, and he is the butt of every punchline. The humor is more likely to be laughing at Dilbert than with him. The whole thing felt weirdly mean-spirited.

I know Adams was involved in the animated series, so I don't know what made the writing feel so different. Maybe he's just become more of an rear end in a top hat over the years?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Internet Janitor posted:

I thought the tone of the animated series was weird.

The comic (especially the earlier years, which I'm more familiar with) presents Dilbert as a nerd who survives an uncaring and irrational corporate existence with a mostly sanguine attitude. In spite of this environment, Dilbert often manages to come out ahead and find satisfaction in his work. Overall, Dilbert is written as a sympathetic protagonist.

The animated series presents Dilbert as a clueless, whiny nerd which the universe endlessly dunks on. He never wins, he never gets ahead, and he is the butt of every punchline. The humor is more likely to be laughing at Dilbert than with him. The whole thing felt weirdly mean-spirited.

I know Adams was involved in the animated series, so I don't know what made the writing feel so different. Maybe he's just become more of an rear end in a top hat over the years?

I liked the TV series, but haven't seen it in years. I did recognize at least a few names that would go on to work on Family Guy and I think parts of the humor stuck through. But it's been the better part of a decade since I saw either so maybe not.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

Scott Adams is a raging misogynist, homophobe, and nazi-sympathizer. Everything he creates is by definition worthless.

Isn't he one of those folks like Tila Tequila and Kevin Sorbo, who were relatively normalish before having a brain injury and going all hard right wing?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Isn't he one of those folks like Tila Tequila and Kevin Sorbo, who were relatively normalish before having a brain injury and going all hard right wing?

Dude literally forgot how to speak one day.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I've been reading the local paper and their comics as an excuse to get out of my office in the morning, and even there he has plenty of subtle and not-so-subtle jabs at women in the workplace.

There are two early comics that come to mind, now that you bring it up. One of them is about how male employees aren't afraid of performance reviews because they've been 'conditioned by years of rejection'. In the other one, Dilbert imagines what it's like to be a woman and it involves 'people holding doors and smiling at you for no reason'. Even back then I noticed he had kind of a proto-incel thing going on, but I chalked it up to bitterness due to being ignored by women as a prematurely balding, noodle-armed white collar dork, and at least it was usually expressed through self-deprecation.

Turns out that even this was somehow too charitable an interpretation and it's just brain worms. In retrospect, it was pretty obvious by the time he was writing books about how he's able to shape reality with his mind

Sleve McDichael
Feb 11, 2019

~nice~

CzarChasm posted:

Dark Souls?

loving :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TVmtli2iYQ

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

One More Fat Nerd posted:

He tried to kill himself after the failure of the Dilburrito and has never been the same.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Gann Jerrod posted:

He tried to kill himself after the failure of the Dilburrito and has never been the same.

Is this true? It seems really plausible, anyway.
(Dare I ask what the Dilburrito is.)

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

wikipedia posted:

The Dilberito was a vegan microwave burrito introduced in 1999 by Scott Adams Foods, Inc. and named after the comic strip character Dilbert. The product went out of production in 2003.[1] First announced in The Dilbert Future and introduced in 1999,[2] the Dilberito came in flavors of Mexican, Indian, Barbecue, and Garlic & Herb and was sold through some health food stores.

Scott Adams's inspiration for the product was that "diet is the number one cause of health-related problems in the world. I figured I could put a dent in that problem and make some money at the same time." His aim was to create a healthy food product that also had mass appeal, a concept he called "the blue jeans of food".[3]

The product failed to catch on in the market, leading Adams to, "several years and several million dollars later", sell off his intellectual property and exit the business. Adams himself noted "[t]he mineral fortification was hard to disguise, and because of the veggie and legume content, three bites of the Dilberito made you fart so hard your intestines formed a tail."[4] The New York Times noted the burrito "could have been designed only by a food technologist or by someone who eats lunch without much thought to taste."[5]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Holy poo poo what a loving loser. This is the problem with giving people minor fame over objectively bad artwork.