Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Open Layer posted:

Another Lib Dem leaflet! That's 14 now. And this is one of their safe seats unfortunately

if you've received 14 leaflets it may not be as safe as you assume

e: using top of page to signal boost this more

https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1204018593656180736

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Ms Adequate posted:

I have spent years wanting this

I'm sorry it turns out that was misreported.

You'll have to go find your own face to sit on or arse to lie under delete as appropriate.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Not sure if anyone remembers Private Eye reporting earlier in the year about Boris getting wooed by BigPharma and co stateside when the knives were out for May: it has disappeared from their site (not sure if paywall or they just change the page to whatever was the most recent version of that column. I am trying to find alternative sources on this to use in arguments but using Boris and Health in google inevitably just drags back the news of the day in this cycle.

Open Layer
Apr 16, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

That's good, though, they're wasting money.

They definitely are!

I'm still deciding between Labour or SNP for the vote. The SNP have a better shout at beating the mustard Tories here so it could be them

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Not sure if anyone remembers Private Eye reporting earlier in the year about Boris getting wooed by BigPharma and co stateside when the knives were out for May: it has disappeared from their site (not sure if paywall or they just change the page to whatever was the most recent version of that column. I am trying to find alternative sources on this to use in arguments but using Boris and Health in google inevitably just drags back the news of the day in this cycle.

the private eye site is terrible and redirects no longer freely available content to their current front page. it is probably still up there behind the paywall. it happens all the time with some of their investigative stuff i have leaned on, really pisses me off every time.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Pochoclo posted:

A credible Tory source just told me Boris Johnson is, I quote, "the amorphous, toad-like god-creature mentioned in the Pnakotic Manuscripts and the Necronomicon and the Commoriom myth-cycle preserved by the Atlantean high-priest Klarkash-Ton."

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/marta_zboralska/status/1204094830365806593

lol of course Hodges was the one to humiliate themselves most of all over this. like clockwork

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/StefanRousseau/status/1204114138697490432

So Kuenssberg has just retweeted this. Yeah, I'm not sure that is the 'photo of the day', actually...

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Doccykins posted:

if you've received 14 leaflets it may not be as safe as you assume

e: using top of page to signal boost this more

https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1204018593656180736
Five million views on that since this morning :eyepop:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Boris Johnsons as Tsathoggua would actually explain a lot tbh.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

£650,000 a loving year.

Anyway I'm sure my middle class rage will make the BBC rethink their editorial assignments tout sweet, ey, what?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
What would it take for ITV/BBC to take action on Laura K/Peston? I don't even know what would constitute a sackable offence at this point

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Braggart posted:

I'm sorry it turns out that was misreported.

You'll have to go find your own face to sit on or arse to lie under delete as appropriate.
Don't try this, you'll do your back in.

Is this the new nofap campaign? :gonk:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Answers Me posted:

What would it take for ITV/BBC to take action on Laura K/Peston? I don't even know what would constitute a sackable offence at this point

Her flat out stating 'vote for Boris Johnson'. If there is any possible interpretation to let themselves off they will take it.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Answers Me posted:

Leveson II

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Answers Me posted:

Saying something positive about Corbyn...

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Answers Me posted:

She will have quit and joined the Conservatives by January anyway.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Answers Me posted:

A Labour government. Happily, we may have one of those in a few days :getin:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao

https://twitter.com/BBCNormanS/status/1204039689642106880

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jedit posted:

Got two identical Tory leaflets today, saying that "only Douglas Lumsden can defeat Nicola Sturgeon's SNP candidate". "Only X can win here" seems to be the theme of the election; I would wager that everyone in Scotland got one of these with a different Tory candidate on the left and "Nicola Sturgeon's SNP candidate" on the other side.

Yeah I got one of these too

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Answers Me posted:

https://twitter.com/StefanRousseau/status/1204114138697490432

So Kuenssberg has just retweeted this. Yeah, I'm not sure that is the 'photo of the day', actually...

Boris Johnson fleeing the country while he still can.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1204122572939571203?s=19

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

RockyB posted:

£650,000 a loving year.

Anyway I'm sure my middle class rage will make the BBC rethink their editorial assignments tout sweet, ey, what?

:ohdear: Oh no you chose the 'bias' category, which the BBC will interpret as meaning that your complaint is biased and can therefore be dismissed.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Fortunately I chose the factual inaccuracy one so at least one of them will get through

e

Laura Kuenssberg Repeating Lie about Punch posted:

As I'm sure you're aware, this afternoon Laura Kuenssberg tweeted a claim that a protestor had punched Matt Hancock's aide during his visit to a hospital in Leeds.

This claim quickly transpired to be a total misrepresentation of events, which Kuenssberg and Robert Peston later acknowledged was relayed to them by sources in the Conservative Party.

I understand that it is sometimes difficult to know the exact truth of an unfolding story, but as a well-respected and very senior journalist Kuenssberg has a duty to verify stories before irresponsibly broadcasting them to the massive audience her position as the BBC's political editor affords her. She obviously did not do this, as shortly afterwards Nick Eardley contradicted the story in a report on PM.

If Evan Davis sought out and obtained the facts of the situation from the BBC's correspondent at the scene, surely it is not unreasonable to expect that Laura Kuenssberg do the same before promulgating a potentially damaging story about a political party on the eve of an election, particularly given that the source of the story was apparently an opposing party.

Kuenssberg has since apologised, which is welcome, but it speaks to a serious lack of journalistic integrity that she chose to publicise the story on the strength of an anonymous source without even the most basic attempt to check its accuracy by speaking to her own colleagues.

attempting to adopt my best "mildly disgusted of Tunbridge Wells" tone so they don't immediately file it in the bin as communist whinging

XMNN fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 9, 2019

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Gwaint posted:

Late to reply to this but I live in Poole too. I've been spending my efforts canvassing in Bournemouth West. I'm hopeful there can be a Labour majority in both Poole and Bournemouth West, but the latter is more of a target seat, I was informed.
Hopefully we'll bump into each other some time! :hfive:

I'm in Bournemouth west. You might have knocked on my door

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Wouldn't make me vote for the conservatives, but it wouldn't make me upset either.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Bow down and worship your god:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

3/10 no ring candle or cocktail sticks.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
https://twitter.com/MattHancock/status/1204132816247762944?s=19

loving hell I hate Tories

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Hello, great UKMT hive mind. I was having an argument with a friend of mind about labour antisemitism ; she thinks it's very real and very serious, I think it's overblown and whatever there is has been massively weaponised.

She has linked me to this article : https://medium.com/@sararoseofficial/everything-i-never-wanted-to-have-to-know-about-labour-and-antisemitism-649b5bc1e576

And now I feel completely conflicted. My position, on reading this, is that I will still vote Labour, but I am now massively reconsidering my former position on the anti semitism issue.

Is there anything to properly contradict the arguments in the article?

Apologies if this has been discussed before. The thread moves to fast!

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
somehow question time will have found the 12 u30 tories that exist.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

XMNN posted:

Fortunately I chose the factual inaccuracy one so at least one of them will get through

e

attempting to adopt my best "mildly disgusted of Tunbridge Wells" tone so they don't immediately file it in the bin as communist whinging

Probably more effective than mine;

quote:

In her capacity as BBC Political Editor, and one of the most prominent BBC News journalists, Laura Kuenssberg possesses considerable reach as a reporter. Sadly, though I have long hoped for the BBC to avert its apparent slide towards bias, Kuenssberg today showed that she is very much on the side of one political party - the Conservatives - and against another - Labour.

We all have biases. That applies to journalists as much as anyone. Yet she makes little effort to conceal hers except sops to the passive voice. When Boris Johnson's dramatic lies about the impact of his Brexit deal and the knowing, ongoing, deliberate efforts to claim there would be no checks between NI and GB are treated as equal to Jeremy Corbyn possibly lying, or possibly merely being mistaken, about watching a television broadcast, there is an obvious attempt being made to draw equivalence where none exists.

Regretably this is hardly her first instance of such. The campaign has been marked by her continuous work to downplay Conservative problems and play up Labour's, drawing false equivalences, giving uncritical air to tory and tory-allied attack lines, and much more. I am not arguing Labour should be given an easy time, it is right to hold them to account and to challenge their assumptions, plans, and numbers - this is to the public good. But the Conservatives should be treated the same, and a journalist should be ready to call out evasion, waffling, and lies when they occur.

A public broadcaster is a vital institution. The BBC is beloved even beyond the UK, for its output in both news, education, and entertainment has long been held up as the very paragon of television output. This reputation is rapidly eroding to the point of falling into the sea, and it is due to journalists like Laura Kuenssberg and their transparent shortcomings. Please, begin to correct this before our national broadcaster's reputation can no longer be repaired.

But I hope appealing to the Grate Britaine Public Broadcaster Reputation might twinge a nerve.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1204133009986850816?s=19

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTg5tSxwDrw

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Someone reply to him with the photo of him lobbying Bercow over the stupid woman lipread

E: nm I did it myself

Doccykins fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 9, 2019

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

I've seen the odd twat on Twitter claiming that the mum of the boy with suspected pneumonia moved him to the floor herself and is a Labour activist. This is bollocks, and in case it becomes a thing here are excerpts from her interview with The Mirror proving it is bollocks:

quote:

Jack and his worried mum were ‘blue-lighted’ to Leeds General Infirmary, West Yorkshire, where she said he was seen “very quickly” and given a bed and oxygen in A&E.

But a few hours later she was told the bed was needed for another patient.

“A doctor rushed in said they needed Jack’s bed and literally within a minute all of his stuff was pulled out of the bed," she said.

"The doctor unplugged his oxygen, picked him up and moved us into what I would describe as a cupboard.

"They call it a treatment room. It was room without a bed.

“His oxygen was connected to the wall but he did not have a bed and he was really unwell.

"He kept asking to lay down. He was without a bed for four-and-a-half hours.

“He needed to go to sleep and he needed to lay down. He started falling asleep and he ended up going to sleep on a pile of coats.

“There was no bed for him in A&E and there was no bed for him on the ward, so he just had to sleep on the floor.

“The room was full of medical supplies. Doctors and nurses were coming in constantly saying ‘sorry, can I just take this, can I just take that.”

At 10pm Jack was taken to the hospital’s Children’s Assessment and Treatment Unit, where he was put on a trolley for five hours and had a series of tests.

She said her son was “confused and exhausted”.

“He just kept saying ‘I want to go to sleep’. He was laying on a plastic mattress with a sheet of paper pulled across him.”

She added: “The problem is they (the medics) were so busy and there weren’t enough beds. They just seemed stressed and under pressure.”

At 3am Jack finally got a bed on the ward and slept for a few hours, with his mum sat in a seat alongside him.

And Sarah, who also has a daughter, says she will be switching her support from Conservative to Labour at the ballot box on Thursday.

“This will the first time in my life where I will be voting Labour” she said.

Dr Yvette Oade, Chief Medical Officer at Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust said: “Our hospitals are extremely busy at the moment and we are very sorry that Jack’s family had a long wait in our Emergency Department.

"Our Chief Executive Julian Hartley has spoken to Jack’s mum and offered a personal apology." [statement continues until the end of this quote box]

"Unfortunately, the unit was also experiencing exceptionally high levels of demand which meant that Jack was required to wait in the clinical treatment room in the Paediatric Emergency Department until a bed became available."

“We are extremely sorry that there were only chairs available in the treatment room, and no bed. This falls below our usual high standards, and for this we would like to sincerely apologise to Jack and his family."

Jack was moved by hospital staff into a room with no beds, then moved onto a trolley, then finally given a bed. The hospital's Chief Executive acknowledged events and apologised personally to the family. Jack's mum didn't do any of the moving, and has never even voted Labour, let alone been an activist for them.

Also it was later determined that Jack had flu and tonsillitis rather than pneumonia, but nobody knew that until well after Jack was finally given a bed. Pneumonia was suspected throughout the whole affair. So if any loving monsters try the "well actually he didn't really have pneumonia" act, you've got ammo to blow that apart too.

Love to you all, hatred to the fash.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Perfect Element posted:

Hello, great UKMT hive mind. I was having an argument with a friend of mind about labour antisemitism ; she thinks it's very real and very serious, I think it's overblown and whatever there is has been massively weaponised.

She has linked me to this article : https://medium.com/@sararoseofficial/everything-i-never-wanted-to-have-to-know-about-labour-and-antisemitism-649b5bc1e576

And now I feel completely conflicted. My position, on reading this, is that I will still vote Labour, but I am now massively reconsidering my former position on the anti semitism issue.

gently caress if I'm reading all that but is it anything other than "corbyn's a terrorist who wants to turn the labour party into the sturmabteilung" but written in a really cringey sad voice? Because it sure as poo poo looks like it.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I will not recognise Chris Tingle, only the one true god Chuck Tingle! :colbert:

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

The Perfect Element posted:

Here, check this link out

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vR-tiGv2w89fnqY1_cPygN8VlP4uROfF9ys8THXB1p0r-UTAPgmx5g3pgWfr-aeo3G3Ka1S-bbtmD1w/pub

And ask why such a committed anti-semite as Corbyn would do all the stuff in the bottom section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

ah, the dreaded antichristingle