Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
macklunkey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Mooey Cow posted:

In two weeks we will know just how much the new Star War will suck.

But is it gonna suck harder than an idiot guy droning on for 15 minutes about sjws and poo poo he read on reddit before begging for likes and subscribes and buy his lovely t-shirts? Only time will tell.

15 minutes? I once saw a series of videos whining about SJWs and TLJ that had a total run time longer than all of the Star Wars moves combined to date. Like, 15 hours total.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

KiteAuraan posted:

15 minutes? I once saw a series of videos whining about SJWs and TLJ that had a total run time longer than all of the Star Wars moves combined to date. Like, 15 hours total.

Personally I would have stop watching long before 15 hours had elapsed, but you do you.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

15 minutes is a pre-hellworld runtime.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

if you want a vision of the future, picture a reedy voiced dork wheezing at the camera in front of his funko pops and rhodesian flag about how sjws ruined his star war, forever

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
The Jedi games were loving cool. Although somehow, the first one (2, where you train under Luke) felt a lot smoother. Don't know how to say beyond that.

Battlefront (the previous one) was a lot of fun, too.

SW is just the right level of immersion for an action-adventure game. Then again, I think the same about Halo...

Burns
May 10, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

Personally I would have stop watching long before 15 hours had elapsed, but you do you.

Good thing poo poo movies can still offer some indirect entertainment.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

phasmid posted:

The Jedi games were loving cool. Although somehow, the first one (2, where you train under Luke) felt a lot smoother. Don't know how to say beyond that.

Battlefront (the previous one) was a lot of fun, too.

SW is just the right level of immersion for an action-adventure game. Then again, I think the same about Halo...

Star Wars is the franchise that has it all from a gaming standpoint. In just this one property, you can justify all the following genres without taking liberties with the source material.

- A knight/wizard questing RPG.
- A sword fighting game.
- A "western" shooter in a lawless environment.
- A "military" shooter with big battles and vehicles.
- A spaceship flying game.
- A tactical strategy game.
- A grand strategy game.
- A narrative RPG.
- A spy/stealth game.
- Nerf Herder Simulator

Star Wars just does it all. This is why it's criminal that EA has basically completely squandered to the license so far. At least they finally made a Jedi game after seven or eight years. The only type of game I can think of where you'd really have to abuse the source material to get it done would be a big-picture strategy game with more than two factions. You're pretty limited to Republic/Separatists and Empire/Rebellion.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Chomp8645 posted:

Star Wars is the franchise that has it all from a gaming standpoint. In just this one property, you can justify all the following genres without taking liberties with the source material.

- A sword fighting game.
- A grand strategy game.
- A narrative RPG.
- A spy/stealth game.
- Nerf Herder Simulator

Star Wars just does it all. This is why it's criminal that EA has basically completely squandered to the license so far. At least they finally made a Jedi game after seven or eight years. The only type of game I can think of where you'd really have to abuse the source material to get it done would be a big-picture strategy game with more than two factions. You're pretty limited to Republic/Separatists and Empire/Rebellion.

You could probably go back to sith/Jedi/Mandalorian

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Make it asymmetrical and add the Hutt Cartel and Corporate Sector that are trying to corner markets corrupt officials and make bank for their wincon instead of sending troops to occupy territory.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Chomp8645 posted:

- A sword fighting game.
- A grand strategy game.
- A narrative RPG.
- A spy/stealth game.
- Nerf Herder Simulator

I always liked the planetary ecology and terraforming simulator with Jar Jar and the game that is a middle school physics lesson plan where you build droids.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Owlbear Camus posted:

Make it asymmetrical and add the Hutt Cartel and Corporate Sector that are trying to corner markets corrupt officials and make bank for their wincon instead of sending troops to occupy territory.

This is sort of what Empire at War did with it's DLC when it tried to insert the Consortium as a third faction, and it was... not great.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Chomp8645 posted:

Galactic Battlegrounds had like seven factions or something.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Mooey Cow posted:

But wasn't that one just a reskin of AoE? It's cool and all but so far I think the FPS stuff takes the cake for how they make the game mechanics work.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

KiteAuraan posted:

the game that is a middle school physics lesson plan where you build droids.
:hmmyes: Droidworks was the poo poo.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mooey Cow posted:

Yes and I'd say it counts as "abusing the source material" when you have you Gungans vs Clones vs Empire or whatever in a moshpit lol.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Mozi posted:

this film is dedicated to the brave mujahideen fighers of Alderaan

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Set it post endor with multiple Imperial warlords gunning to rekindle the new order and slightly different approaches and strength (one guy got a little more of the navy, another has ins with the spynet, w/e). Meanwhile the disparate forces of the Alliance to restore the Republic with the Empire defeated have some conflicts over which factions vision will guide the new republic with the partisans fighting in the memory of saw gurerra wanting a more muscular armed force but mon mothma prefers diplomacy. Etc.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Ewoks vs Jawas

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
they should make a simulator where you play as a gunner on the Death Star. but not on the side thats being attacked, you are a gunner on the back side. your job is to watch a blank screen for an hour or so for any signs of rebel fighters, then blow up.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rutibex posted:

they should make a simulator where you play as a gunner on the Death Star. but not on the side thats being attacked, you are a gunner on the back side. your job is to watch a blank screen for an hour or so for any signs of rebel fighters, then blow up.

Rian Johnson presents: Tie Fighter

Burns
May 10, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

Rian Johnson presents: Tie Fighter

Holy poo poo!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

- A sword fighting game.
- A grand strategy game.
- A narrative RPG.
- A spy/stealth game.
- Nerf Herder Simulator

They should do with Star Wars what Games Workshop has been doing with its IPs vis-a-vis video games for the past couple of years. That is farm out bits of the IPs (like a single faction/race, event, location, etc) to lots of different developers to make games out of, if any of those fizzle out and don't really do well it's no big deal really (you, as owner of the IP, didn't really expend alot of money or reputation into developing it), if they do well you give them more of the IP to work with (Vermintide games) or if they are already a big developer who make games that go well together with one of your franchises you might give them an entire setting to play with (Creative Assembly and the Total Warhammers).

But no, let's give it all to EA so they can just sit on it.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 7, 2019

Burns
May 10, 2008

Well what do you expect with an old woman in charge??

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Chomp8645 posted:

Yes and I'd say it counts as "abusing the source material" when you have you Gungans vs Clones vs Empire or whatever in a moshpit lol.

Eh, you could make it work. The clones turn into the Empire after all, but you could have like a battalion that got their Manchurian candidate chips EMPed or something and fights the Empire using Republic tech. Maybe there could be Gungans that want to break away and join the Empire, stuff like that.

TIE Fighter had all those Empire on Empire campaigns that were like half the game, where your lovely gunboat gets blown up by TIE Defenders ten billion times then you get to fly it yourself like twice.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The best part of Battlefront (the first, first one) was the strategic arms race that developed during the first couple weeks after launch for the Battle of Hoth. First the AT-AT's just died because everyone towcabled them. Then the Imps always won because people figured out how to cover against the speeders with mountains or rush to the rebel hanger to steal them. Then the Rebels always won because people learned to dog-pile/focus fire on the Walkers. Then the Empire learned that instead of advancing they could keep the walkers at spawn and potshot the Rebels to death. But then someone realized that made them vulnerable to speeders again. Then finally someone realized you could march the walkers in a line/side scrapping and it forced tow cables to detach since the other walker blocked their circle.

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.
Rimworld but with Ewoks and treehouses and you don't not eat the rebels

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
instead of this movie they should just stream a playtrough of KOTOR 2

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

DoctorGonzo posted:

instead of this movie they should just stream a playtrough of KOTOR 2 Yoda Stories

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

DoctorGonzo posted:

instead of this movie they should just stream a playtrough of KOTOR 2

"I must know Disney, if killing this series has brought you any measure of peace."

"It has, but there are still other series out there to ruin."

"I see. You have failed me, completely and utterly."

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

I didn't even know this was a thing until I finally clicked on it from my recommendeds. Was not disappointed would click again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey68aMOV9gc

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

You are on this Council, but we do not grant you the rank of Master.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Wanna pull a Palpatine and use emergency powers to declare the only true canon to be the holiday special, the Ewok movies and that Japanese game where Vader turns into a scorpion.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao that the new ghostbusters will be better than the last star wars movies

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

DoctorGonzo posted:

:eyepop:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

DoctorGonzo posted:

the new ghostbusters looks like someone did a pitch that started "how can we make people remember Lady Ghostbusters with comparative fondness?"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

You are on this Council, but we do not grant you the rank of Master.

This is what a person who is completely detached from the real world looks like

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Owlbear Camus posted:

the new ghostbusters looks like someone did a pitch that started "how can we make people remember Lady Ghostbusters with comparative fondness?"

better than what if we re did a new hope beat by beat

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm glad The Mandalorian went full Fanservice. That's what the Star Wars needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

As a commie it is so loving strange to see weird nerds essentially coming up with populist expropriation on their own but only applying it in the dumbest, narrowest, most consumerist ways