Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Owlbear Camus posted:

because my daughter likes the pictures on them.

I'm going to rule this acceptable because so much Christmas nonsense for kids goes straight into the trash, and I bet she'll really appreciate you getting her something she actually wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Owlbear Camus posted:

I just spent 47 united states dollars for seven slips of cardboard functionally identical in gameplay to seven slips of cardboard already in her commander deck that have a secondary market value of roughly 2 dollars, because my daughter likes the pictures on them.

conspicuous_consumption.dec

You can just say “I’m a good dad and I love my kiddo” and we’d let you down fed the hook.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Seriously, how many gifts did you get as a kid where you asked for something frivolous that you really wanted, only to have someone older go, "No, that's a stupid waste of money. I'm going to get you something I think you ought to be into."

Then a full hardback set of The Chronicles of Narnia sits unread on your shelf until you send it go Goodwill when you go to college.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Huxley posted:

Seriously, how many gifts did you get as a kid where you asked for something frivolous that you really wanted, only to have someone older go, "No, that's a stupid waste of money. I'm going to get you something I think you ought to be into."

Then a full hardback set of The Chronicles of Narnia sits unread on your shelf until you send it go Goodwill when you go to college.

As an uncle thinking about buying his niece Pokemon for her new Switch I feel attacked

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

As an uncle thinking about buying his niece Pokemon for her new Switch I feel attacked

Maybe you know your niece better than that aunt knew me.

My grandpa gave me a hammer for one birthday when I was into Lego because, "he likes building stuff, eh? Let him make something worth building."

Which, fine, I could swing a hammer, too. But I already lived in a house with plenty of hammers. It disappeared under a bed someplace, and then when I got my own place I still had to go out and buy my own stupid hammer.

e; and then he died and left his estate to my mom, who asked me if I wanted to have any of pop's tools. She walked me out into the garage and cracked open a toolbox with, no poo poo, six hammers in it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Huxley posted:

My friend has Gauntlet Legends on N64 when I was a kid and I loved that game, and asked for it for Christmas. My parents got me a set of golf clubs with the joke of "oh, we thought you said you wanted to be a golfing legend!" I took golf lessons for one summer, never touched the clubs again, and just bought the game myself when I had saved up enough money. Looking back it was an important lesson in self-sufficiency.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TheKingofSprings posted:

kids love the pokeymans

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I just spent 47 united states dollars for seven slips of cardboard functionally identical in gameplay to seven slips of cardboard already in her commander deck that have a secondary market value of roughly 2 dollars, because my daughter likes the pictures on them.

just hit the teferi lottery and all will be well

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Hellsau posted:

I would be equally satisfied with a fancy Cat Dad that could slot right into the deck.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

Getting stuff your kid likes as a present for them is being a good parent.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My dad got me a DVD of Swiss Family Robinson when I was a kid and I still haven't watched it and still don't know what it's about

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

The Clowner posted:

My dad got me a DVD of Swiss Family Robinson when I was a kid and I still haven't watched it and still don't know what it's about

My sister knew I was into anime and got me volume 3 of record of lodoss war. as in "Episodes 8-10" or something like that.

Next year I was profoundly more specific.

Of course I've also been on the opposite end of that exchange, as my Nephew was super into pokemon over the summer and was enjoying the hell out of Moon, so I spent a large portion of November hatching him a shiny Litten and bought him a copy of Ultra Moon for christmas, at which point his friends had convinced him he was too old for pokemon.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

When Mage Knight first came out I had a painfully goth friend who was super into it. He attempted suicide and as a hospital gift I specially seeded two of the booster packs with cool chase rares, including the unique character dracula guy, and glued them shut so it would just look like a stroke of luck. I thought he'd get a real kick out of it but he was like "well with the case I recently opened this makes 3 of each of these guys, cool."

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Hellsau posted:

I think the cat ones all always have Ajani, because he is a cat

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

vegetables posted:

I think the cat ones all always have Ajani, because he is a cat

lol that's amazingly lovely, they could have just included it in the set then and had another random pw in the bottom

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hellsau posted:

lol that's amazingly lovely, they could have just included it in the set then and had another random pw in the bottom

yes but that would have meant 0.13 less profit

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

vegetables posted:

As someone who had to play chess as a five year old against my father, the strongest player in the city, I am a keen supporter of the concept of variance in games

You could've gotten really good and embarrassed your father along with everyone else being beaten by a 6yo.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Owlbear Camus posted:

When the revolution comes the red guards are going to be checking just how shiny your slips of cardboard are

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Owlbear Camus posted:

guillotine, and another smaller guillotine

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
guillotine, GILL-O-TEENZ the hot new decapitation product for kids.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I'm not sure the the Limited thread is still getting traffic four pages back, but I was hoping for some build advice for my sealed league deck. I've made it to our semifinals matches and wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything going in since I don't play too often anymore. I'll post over in Limited instead if that's where it should go though.

Anyway, this is what I've been running. We start with a sealed pool, then have three drafts, and end with a trade day with strict 1-1 rarity, you can only bring x of each rarity cards in this binder so no shenanigans rules. Then, league games in pods and the top 4 players from each side go into semifinals brackets and so on. Anyway

B/G Food

Boys:
1x StoneCoil Serpent
4x Curious Pair
4x Maraleaf Rider
1x Order of Midnight
2x Lovestruck Beast
1x Murderous Rider
4x Savvy Hunter
2x Fierce Witchstalker
1x Wicked Wolf
1x Feasting Troll King
4x Beanstalk Giant

Toys:
2x Golden Eggs
4x Kenrith's Transformation
1x Reave Soul
4x Bake into a Pie
1 Garruk, Cursed Huntsman

Land:
1x Castle Garenbrig
1x Fabled Passage
11x Forest
10x Swamp

The deck performs well enough if I can curve out, but it feels like it's too vulnerable to just falling apart if I can't get an early Hunter to survive some combats. I couldn't get much of the cheap black removal because half the league tried to run black, including two mono-black players, but a Garruk, a Rider and 4 Pies should be more than enough incentive to stay in. I have several options but I'm not sure what else I can do for the deck with what I have.

Not in the Deck
Bog Naughties-- Slow, expensive, rely on other cards to use their own ability. Nah.
Cauldron's Gift- Expensive but at least it returns to the battlefield
Cauldron of Eternity- By the time I have a graveyard full of creatures I don't have the life to spare pulling them back. Feels very awkward. Also a 1 of
Giant Opportunity- Funny when it works but feels like a trap. A dead card too often.
Foreboding Fruit- I like drawing cards and potentially getting another food, but I was almost never able to get the adamant clause off
Giant's Skewer- Helps get my hunters over an elk but it's so slow
Outmuscle- Got 4 of these, but I already have pies and my problem is needing removal earlier before combos get out of hand
Tempting Witch- Makes a food, but slow and I already have quality 3 cmc guys running around.
Deathless Knight- I have 2 and they look great, but I don't know what to take out for them

In the Deck
Golden Eggs- I find I need the mana fixing and extra food more often than not so they're in.
Beanstalk Giants- Double black costs on my good removal hurts. Taking a turn off for him hurts too when I could run Rosethorn Acolytes instead but I like having a Big Fatty backup win condition. Felt like he fit better in my W/G adventure deck I started with but I wasn't able to get enough Clovers and Innkeepers to make it reliable. It's a shame because I have 4 of Ardenvale tacticians, Rosethorn Acolytes, Faerie Guidemothers, Pathlighters and Wandermares. I don't think I need to test my luck going three colors though.
Kenrith's Transformation- a cheap solution to disabling combo pieces like Konrad, Trolls and so on. Feels like a dead card or worse, actively bad against decks that go wide or aggro.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 10, 2019

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

worlds is gonna be played on arena, lol

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Cube is up a day early! :woop:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Jeoh posted:

I legit don't know how you stretch 16 competitors playing one format into 3 days.

Are they each going to have to play 3 decks with no overlapping non-basic lands or something?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
lol what if one day is Historic?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

AngryBooch posted:

I legit don't know how you stretch 16 competitors playing one format into 3 days.

Are they each going to have to play 3 decks with no overlapping non-basic lands or something?

Is there any chance only part of the tourney will be on Arena, with other parts in paper? I could see them still doing limited on paper and switch to Arena for Standard.

Edit: Also if they made Historic and Brawl part of Worlds, that would be neat.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Jeoh posted:

All hope for human arena drafts are in vain.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I'm not sure the the Limited thread is still getting traffic four pages back, but I was hoping for some build advice for my sealed league deck. I've made it to our semifinals matches and wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything going in since I don't play too often anymore. I'll post over in Limited instead if that's where it should go though.
I'm not quite sure what you're asking but that pool and deck are so juiced up they don't really resemble limited at all at this point. 4 Beanstalk giants seems like quite a lot considering you're not splashing, and you have a lot of food generation and only the hunters as payoff it looks like. Could really use a trail of crumbs probably.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
On the subject of gifts, my friend is super into playing magic online. Is there a way to gift him packs?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

https://twitter.com/magemarket/status/1204395411605262336?s=19

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Star Man posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

literally getting your deck with a mortgage lol what a hobby

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Owlbear Camus posted:

literally getting your deck with a mortgage lol what a hobby

R, Usury bolt

Usury bolt deals X damage to any target, where X is the interest rate on the HELOC you took out to purchase your deck (rounded down).

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I'm not quite sure what you're asking but that pool and deck are so juiced up they don't really resemble limited at all at this point. 4 Beanstalk giants seems like quite a lot considering you're not splashing, and you have a lot of food generation and only the hunters as payoff it looks like. Could really use a trail of crumbs probably.

Yeah, it's a league that starts as Limited and ends close to Block Constructed, with a lot of maneuvering and atypical draft strategy/politicking. Just checking to see if there's anything more experienced players would change since I've been staring at it too long. My first semifinals game is against a W/B knight deck that runs 4x Wintermoor Commanders, 4 x Foulmire Knights, 3x Giant Killers and ends games with 3x Clackbridge Trolls and a Realm Cloaked Giant. I beat the deck before but the pile of deathtouchers and control is rough. The other favorite on my end of the bracket is a nutso 3x Oko 3x Wicked Wolf deck that also managed to hoover up all the copies of Traill of Breadcrumbs in the league so that's out. The other end has a fun U/G ramp deck that copies clovers with Mirrormade and ramps into A Shitload of Bears with Flaxen Intruder's adventure. There's also a Mono B deck with Oven Cats, Pipers, lots of early removal and Konrad/Ayanna that I lost to.

You're right about the food payoff issues though. Hunters usually eat removal immediately so the eggs and orphans help me get a card draw off them at least, but the Wicked Wolf doesn't show up and Troll King is self reliant. Deathless Knights could use them.

I could just try my luck and do W/B/G adventures anyway, which lets me use my 2x Glass Casket, Trapped in the Tower, Clover and Innkeepers.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Star Man posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

We must uphold the reserve list or people will be underwater on their deck mortgages.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
What would make an excellent Christmas gift for someone who is nuts for Magic? (I've never played, so I haven't the foggiest what would make the kiddo happy.) I mean, obviously cards, but I assume they come in different series.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Pixelante posted:

What would make an excellent Christmas gift for someone who is nuts for Magic? (I've never played, so I haven't the foggiest what would make the kiddo happy.) I mean, obviously cards, but I assume they come in different series.

Watch this at 1.25x or 1.5x speed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuZ-wbt54iA

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

He aged fast is my only take

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Pixelante posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Gua...76010678&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Guard-Katana-Sleeves-Standard/dp/B00J5H1DNM/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=ultimate+guard+katana&qid=1576010758&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Guard-Digital-Carte-Gioco/dp/B07FGD5KC4/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=ultimate+guard&qid=1576010582&sr=8-8

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Guard-MatPod-Black-Carte/dp/B0797PFJJ6/ref=sr_1_43?keywords=ultimate+guard&qid=1576010582&sr=8-43

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Guard-Anti-Theft-Backpack-Ammonite/dp/B07K9GVQX6

Lots of stuff at some different price points to give you options. I don't think any of that would be disappointing for anyone who plays magic the gathering in about any format or setting.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Yeah, it's a league that starts as Limited and ends close to Block Constructed, with a lot of maneuvering and atypical draft strategy/politicking. Just checking to see if there's anything more experienced players would change since I've been staring at it too long. My first semifinals game is against a W/B knight deck that runs 4x Wintermoor Commanders, 4 x Foulmire Knights, 3x Giant Killers and ends games with 3x Clackbridge Trolls and a Realm Cloaked Giant. I beat the deck before but the pile of deathtouchers and control is rough. The other favorite on my end of the bracket is a nutso 3x Oko 3x Wicked Wolf deck that also managed to hoover up all the copies of Traill of Breadcrumbs in the league so that's out. The other end has a fun U/G ramp deck that copies clovers with Mirrormade and ramps into A Shitload of Bears with Flaxen Intruder's adventure. There's also a Mono B deck with Oven Cats, Pipers, lots of early removal and Konrad/Ayanna that I lost to.

You're right about the food payoff issues though. Hunters usually eat removal immediately so the eggs and orphans help me get a card draw off them at least, but the Wicked Wolf doesn't show up and Troll King is self reliant. Deathless Knights could use them.

I could just try my luck and do W/B/G adventures anyway, which lets me use my 2x Glass Casket, Trapped in the Tower, Clover and Innkeepers.

Hey buddy I think last time you brought this up I told you to go in with four friends and each pick a colour and trade each other all the good cards, what happened?

Also I'm real curious what the person traded to get three Oko, especially at 1:1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

(Incoming extremely nerdy article 9 joke)
If you have a security interest in someone’s modern deck and you file a financing statement indicating “threats” while another creditor has a filed financing statement indicating “disruption,” in the event of default, who has priority to Oko?