Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Niwrad posted:

Leftovers season 1 was really good and a few bad reviewers were exposed by it. Those same reviewers had to magically backtrack and say they loved seasons 2 and 3 when it was clear the show was terrific.
Eh the approach in seasons 2 and 3 is still pretty different.

Like I loved season 1 and wasn’t into seasons 2 and 3 myself. You see the opposite sentiment a lot though too where people think season 1 is too sad or something but they really enjoy 2 and 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Raxivace posted:

Eh the approach in seasons 2 and 3 is still pretty different.

Like I loved season 1 and wasn’t into seasons 2 and 3 myself. You see the opposite sentiment a lot though too where people think season 1 is too sad or something but they really enjoy 2 and 3.

I understand liking seasons more than others. But I can't imagine someone absolutely hating season 1 and then liking season 2 and 3. The changes made weren't dramatic enough to cause that kind of swing.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Niwrad posted:

I understand liking seasons more than others. But I can't imagine someone absolutely hating season 1 and then liking season 2 and 3. The changes made weren't dramatic enough to cause that kind of swing.

For sure.

I also don't get "obsessed" from that Lindelof quote. He certainly talks about the writing room's reaction to negative reviews but the jump from "he answered a question about negative reviews" to "they are living rent free in his head" seems exaggerated.

Likewise, if they are writing stuff that they think will annoy someone who hates their show, that doesn't really translate to "writes for reviewers", unless you think they are...writing for the reviewers to hate it?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I think it's pretty clear from the show itself the guy loves Watchmen, hates that Snyder's movie is it's modern legacy, and managed to get HBO to throw a few milly at his fanfic/treatment he shopped to DC that they didn't want to actually do in a comic.

I'm sure today's writers rooms probably give a poo poo about reviewers more than they used to, because how could they not, but you'd run out of steam for all this stuff real fast if that was actually what you were driven by.

Lindelof out of just about anyone has pretty clearly proven he's just a big nerd who loves to write big nerd poo poo.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 9, 2019

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

I'm half with you. Rorschach the character isn't as personally racist as the 7K, but the ideology he represents (right libertarianism) fosters racism and enables fascism, and is popular among racists who want to attribute whatever successes, comforts, etc they have to their merits as individuals rather than any kind of socioeconomic pattern or institutional structure. He's essentially a useful idiot, an unwitting martyr for a cause he might not personally have joined. The point is that Seventh Kavalries love Rorschachs and Rorschachs create Seventh Kavalries, whether they're in lockstep on every individual issue or not.

White supremacists hijack all sorts of poo poo. Odin for one off the top of my head. Rorschach would make perfect sense for them.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
This show has had several times where it felt the writers were speaking directly to the viewers and I thought it was weird.

"If you dont like my story, wrote your own" :smug:

"Remember in not-Schindler's List how they shot in black and white but used color to draw attention to something? Remember how powerful that technique was??" *uses same technique in very next episode*

That lindeloff quote makes a lot of sense

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

White supremacist terrorists like the militia movement see themselves as moral exemplars fighting a decadent, unjust system that persecutes them. Their self-image is basically identical to how Rorschach describes himself. There are real similarities between his journal and the turner diaries.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Remember the first episode, where it seemed it was going to be about a bunch of new interesting characters exploring masks and identity and authority and culpability in 2019, with a few little references here and there to the original comic?

Nah, it was just all about Veidt and Dr. Manhattan and wacky elephants all along.
As someone who loved the comic and movie: Good!

I'm interested in seeing what the gently caress this final episode is gonna try to pull off. This thread moves too fast so here's a quick theory I read that I like.

Doc Man has been giving folks little bits of himself and spreading his power out over time but the folks don't realize it because it's all been reactionary.
1: Will has it. It's why he can't feel heat.
2: Veidt has it. It's why he invented it 30 years ago... er... it's why he had the horseshoe escape plan ready from year 1.
3: Angela has it. It's why Doc Man insists she has to see him walking on the pool.
4: (Joke option) Laurie has it. It's how she can take all of the Excalibur.

With this I'm making 2 bets.
1: Angela reactively blew up the second gunman in her home, that's why we don't see it on screen. (Alternatively, Cal did it and the missing gunman was the clue the 7K needed to know that Doc Man was around somewhere. Or someone just saw it happen.)
2: The pancakes were for Topher, who will get some kinda power to build things.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 10, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Oooh, that's a good read. Angela already has his powers but like when his memory was gone, she doesn't know it so it is as though she doesn't.

Calling it now, season finale will end with Angela "dying" only to realize she's manhattan and respawn. Like Jon in the chamber.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

IRL Rorschach would definitely be complaining on Facebook about BLM. But on the other hand he did shoot a cop with a harpoon gun. Land of contrasts.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Topher got some Dr M dna in him

Lol at this show, a family cop drama, finally getting to the point where they can show Dr M Dr Manhattaning when he is floating poo poo around making food like he has the munchies.

Also lol at the VFX on his glow skin color
Triple lol at the people who lacked such imagination that disagreed with me they Dr M can change his skin tone and glow.

Props to the thread for guessing the Viedt stuff. We were in the ballpark. And props to the writers for leaving enough clues around that we could analyze and infer stuff but still enough room to be surprised at specific details

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Sleeveless posted:

It's been years since thread titles got weekly updates to lovely dad jokes or impenetrable references to something posted in the thread and this forum is much better off for it.

I respectfully disagree. Dad jokes are the only thing keeping me entertained with this series, and I've invested too much time to not see the impenetrable references in the finale.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Sleeveless is known as a bad poster elsewhere on the forums and that post seals it

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I think it's pretty clear from the show itself the guy loves Watchmen, hates that Snyder's movie is it's modern legacy, and managed to get HBO to throw a few milly at his fanfic/treatment he shopped to DC that they didn't want to actually do in a comic.

I'm sure today's writers rooms probably give a poo poo about reviewers more than they used to, because how could they not, but you'd run out of steam for all this stuff real fast if that was actually what you were driven by.

Lindelof out of just about anyone has pretty clearly proven he's just a big nerd who loves to write big nerd poo poo.

Yeah, Lindelof loves the book. He was asked to make Watchmen twice previously by HBO and turned it down, because he didn't know how to tell an original story worth telling that would still be true to the book. For the third approach he had been kicking around ideas in our modern climate, had recently read The Case for Reparations and thought he could put together something good.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I can't believe this episode is going down so badly on here. It was loving brilliant.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't know why anyone would complain, that episode was great.

You just have to expect some slower, lore heavy hours in a 16 episode season.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
^^^ hahaha :hfive:

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah, Lindelof loves the book.

Like, skimming it or reading the wiki summary or something :confused:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I thought it was a pretty good one episode intro to Dr. M's whole deal for people who aren't fans of Watchmen, and a decent payoff to having him sort of haunt the fringes of the story but it hit a home run with the scene where he falls in love with Angela.

Veidt telling him he's being problematic made me lol. That felt very much like a writer talking to himself even though he's probably built up enough credit to get away with Black Dr. M at this point.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Necrothatcher posted:

I can't believe this episode is going down so badly on here. It was loving brilliant.

It's immediately one of my favorite episodes of anything and i opened this thread to discover everyone's mad lmao it owns even more now

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah, Lindelof loves the book. He was asked to make Watchmen twice previously by HBO and turned it down, because he didn't know how to tell an original story worth telling that would still be true to the book. For the third approach he had been kicking around ideas in our modern climate, had recently read The Case for Reparations and thought he could put together something good.
https://ew.com/tv/2018/05/22/damon-lindelof-watchmen-letter/

I know you're making a joke here and Lindenlof could entirely be lying in his 'open letter' just to cover his own rear end but, for the record, he denied the 2 pitches because the first pitcher didn't understand his Rorschach reference and the second pitcher said "Who's Alan Moore?"

Though you're not wrong about his recent reading being the thing that sparked his intent.

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008
Funny to me that Lindelof would hate Snyder’s interpretation but keep his juvenile fixation on Dr. Manhattan’s penis and its size (which is shared by the fan base I guess).

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I had no idea how Lindelof felt about the movie but found this interview interesting: https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-features/watchmen-damon-lindelof-interview-896780/

quote:

What did you think of the Zack Snyder movie?
Zack knew that I was a Watchmen junkie, so he reached out after he finished shooting and asked, “Will you watch it? I’m going to have a friends and family screening.” It was very early days. The movie he screened for us was almost a full hour longer than what was released. Billy Crudup was covered in little blue lightbulbs and wearing a unitard. The effects weren’t done yet. So it required a certain level of imagination. Seeing the movie at that point, I lost all objectivity. It was like David Copperfield taking you backstage and saying, “I want your opinion about this illusion I’m going to pull off.” So I could never ever see the trick without feeling, “Oh, I know how that is done.”

All of that said, my feeling about Zack’s movie — and this is also mitigated by the fact that I know Zack a little — is that this guy’s love of Watchmen is, if you’ll pardon the pun, true blue. This was not a guy looking to make a cash grab. This is a guy who loves the book, can recite chapter and verse. His desire to get it right — and I just did my first season of Watchmen, and I don’t know if I got it right — was so intense and so genuine, that I just was rooting for him in any way one can. That said, my primary criticism of the movie is you cannot take these 12 issues and jam them into a theatrical experience. What makes Watchmen Watchmen is its density, its slow-burn-ness. It just doesn’t lend itself into being adapted into a film. Given the boundaries of, “You need to make this movie so we can release it in theaters, so it has to be under three hours,” you have to play the hits. Every shining moment in the book needs to be in the movie. So there’s no way to end up with a better movie than the one Zack Snyder made, in my opinion. I’m not going to sit here and say, “How do you do Watchmen without Max Shea and without The Black Freighter?” The answer is, it’s impossible.
Even goes on to say, regarding the idea of doing a straight up adaptation rather than this sequel: "I [didn’t] think I could do Watchmen better than Zack did it, even as a prestige series."

For all people attribute to Lindelof I feel like when I actually watch him talk and read his interviews he sounds pretty reasonable and respectful.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I went to video/film school and the entire time there I kept asking "why don't people just take good comics and use them as storyboards and scripts?", I even tried doing it for a short film and then a few years later I saw Watchmen and never said that again.

I'm sure Snyder is a big fan who wanted to do that right but.....it's like what Vonnegut was talking about when he said “Writing about music is like dancing about architecture.” You can be as slavish as you want about it but it's just too different. Especially with Watchmen being so specific and experimental with the medium, like the actual physical medium of a comic.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

but it hit a home run with the scene where he falls in love with Angela.

Lindelof needs a show that's just about time travel and poo poo. He handles it so well. The Constant is still one of my favorite episodes of TV ever.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Martman posted:

I had no idea how Lindelof felt about the movie but found this interview interesting: https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-features/watchmen-damon-lindelof-interview-896780/

Even goes on to say, regarding the idea of doing a straight up adaptation rather than this sequel: "I [didn’t] think I could do Watchmen better than Zack did it, even as a prestige series."

For all people attribute to Lindelof I feel like when I actually watch him talk and read his interviews he sounds pretty reasonable and respectful.

Even the Bible got a sequel. MULTIPLE sequels.

This is a really good show that greatly respects the source materials but takes them in a more modern direction.

I haven’t seen any of the classic characters behaving “out of character”.

I like the new characters, they are really interesting, have depth, and tie in well to the story.

Lube Man Forever

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

DaveKap posted:

https://ew.com/tv/2018/05/22/damon-lindelof-watchmen-letter/

I know you're making a joke here and Lindenlof could entirely be lying in his 'open letter' just to cover his own rear end but, for the record, he denied the 2 pitches because the first pitcher didn't understand his Rorschach reference and the second pitcher said "Who's Alan Moore?"

Though you're not wrong about his recent reading being the thing that sparked his intent.

I wasn't joking, just I guess misremembering the HBO podcast? He definitely talked about mulling over how to do the story justice, maybe it was in the context of accepting the third offer.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I believe that Snyder was a huge fan of the artwork and story of Watchmen, but the man missed the point so badly that he went on to create the antithesis of it in MoS and BvS.

The man desperately wants to adapt The Fountainhead for fucks sake.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

KoRMaK posted:

Props to the thread for guessing the Viedt stuff. We were in the ballpark. And props to the writers for leaving enough clues around that we could analyze and infer stuff but still enough room to be surprised at specific details

The whole "he asked to be taken there" thing was basically told to us when he said "When I first came here I thought it was a paradise" but one gold statue kept us all from realizing the obvious. I love it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Can someone explain why Manhattan doesn't save himself at the end? Is it because it happened means it happens? I'm a little lost on that.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Niwrad posted:

Can someone explain why Manhattan doesn't save himself at the end? Is it because it happened means it happens? I'm a little lost on that.

He was committing suicide by Kop so that he could give his powers to someone else!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Presumably what happens in the finale is something that he deems to be a good outcome. If not then yeah it's really dumb that he didn't vaporize the truck from the kitchen.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Niwrad posted:

Zaphod42 posted:

I see it as partially Manhattan being tired of his existence and wanting to commit suicide, and half him being still discombobulated by just having his memory restored and being in all times at once, and half him just seeing in the future that he was going to get killed by the cannon, so he himself believed in it.

If you can see the future and recognize that it is the future and your vision of it is accurate, then you start to fall into a sort of fatalism belief. There's no point opposing anything because everything already is.

That's why Jon doesn't fight back, and is generally so... calm. Because he already knows its going to happen. Not just he knows its coming, but he believes it has to be. So why fight back?

The only reason he kills the 7K at all is to help keep Angela safe.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

stev posted:

I believe that Snyder was a huge fan of the artwork and story of Watchmen, but the man missed the point so badly that he went on to create the antithesis of it in MoS and BvS.

The man desperately wants to adapt The Fountainhead for fucks sake.

i'm not saying you have to like the movie but if you think that MoS is the antithesis of watchmen you are bad at watching things

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Watchmen the movie, as bad as it is, is immensely better than this show. Also ep 8 was co-written by a former Entertainment weekly guy that Lindelof hired cuz he always wrote Lost theories (that were usually wrong lol).

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
this thread.gif

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

crazy cloud posted:

It's immediately one of my favorite episodes of anything and i opened this thread to discover everyone's mad lmao it owns even more now

I loved it too. :shobon:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It was deec, B- / B overall. Definitely not one to get Care Mad over

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

DC Murderverse posted:

i'm not saying you have to like the movie but if you think that MoS is the antithesis of watchmen you are bad at watching things

Sick post/username/avatar combo

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Niwrad posted:

Literally the entire episode up to this point is beating you over the head with how Dr M perceives time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
If he was able to change the future, it wouldn't be the future, so he wouldn't have known it, and couldn't have changed it.