Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Re: Veidt's "eight million" children

When I heard that I was a bit confused. My first thought was maybe he's referencing people who got mindfucked by the squid or something? Like Looking Glass's formative life experience is surviving the squid's psychic blast, so in a sense Veidt shaped their lives and they are the legacy of his crazyass scheme. Those eight million "children" (maybe the kids of the people who survived too) live with the trauma of the squid and that trauma helps keep the post-nuclear world order in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Wolfsheim posted:

You could say the same about Manhattan or really the entire Watchmen series and welp:laffo:

Also they literally did a "he killed all these guys and escaped" scene of course they're gonna bring him back? Like....you think he just won't show up again after a scene explicitly showing him alive? Were you one of those 'they made it so obvious that the clone manor guy was Adrian that there is no way it really is Adrian' guys?

I don't doubt they WILL bring him back on account of the character is cool and Buster Scruggs is a good actor

But anything he does at this point is fan service since he has had one of the few completed character arcs on the show so far

The scene with his dead assailants just established that he didn't die, it's not a hint that he'll return

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mcbexx posted:

Lol, they showed a 7C squad coming for him 3 episodes ago (and in the "previously on ..." this episode) without getting back to that in any way.

It's a 50/50 wether he's dead or will swoop in at the 11th hour to save the day somehow I guess? Do we even care at this point?

Did you miss where they pointed out the 7K that went to LG's place all got smoked and one of their masks was missing? :v:

LG is now impersonating 7K and going to expose them or take them out. You need to pay more attention to the show.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Niwrad posted:

Lindelof writes shows for reviewers.

What does this even mean?

Fly Ricky posted:

This is the best take.

Save for "Dong of the Year" of course. That was like three pages ago and it's still not the thread title. :wtf:

It's been years since thread titles got weekly updates to lovely dad jokes or impenetrable references to something posted in the thread and this forum is much better off for it.

Forceholy posted:

It's called Hatewatching.

We live in an age where there is more good TV than anyone could actually watch, going out of your way to waste a dozen hours of your life on a show you hate just so you can smirk to yourself and crow to a bunch of anonymous strangers online about how much better and smarter you are then them for not liking it is some emotional self harm mental illness poo poo.

Pirate Jet posted:

Definitely not understanding this influx of “uh it’s a superhero show it’s just supposed to be dumb fun” takes

Literally nobody is saying this, we're laughing at you for placing such vastly overinflated importance on an 80s comic book that you think anything less than the TV adaptation solving racism forever means it was a hack fraud cash-in failure.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
1/8th of this show has spent time talking about Dr. Manhattan. This was probably my least favorite episode of the show but man theres remarkable viewer fragility on display with this show.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The scene with his dead assailants just established that he didn't die, it's not a hint that he'll return

One of the 7K members is missing his mask, Petey points it out and the camera lingers on it. Nope, no obvious foreshadowing here at all, folks.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 9, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I don't doubt they WILL bring him back on account of the character is cool and Buster Scruggs is a good actor

But anything he does at this point is fan service since he has had one of the few completed character arcs on the show so far

How is his arc done? Its only just started. He realized the truth, but now we should get to see who he decides to be in light of that fact and what actions he chooses to take.

Don't see why LG needs to suddenly disappear into the sunset?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Zaphod42 posted:

Did you miss where they pointed out the 7K that went to LG's place all got smoked and one of their masks was missing? :v:

LG is now impersonating 7K and going to expose them or take them out. You need to pay more attention to the show.

LG didn't die off screen, he died on screen with a head poppin'.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Sleeveless posted:

We live in an age where there is more good TV than anyone could actually watch, going out of your way to waste a dozen hours of your life on a show you hate just so you can smirk to yourself and crow to a bunch of anonymous strangers online about how much better and smarter you are then them for not liking it is some emotional self harm mental illness poo poo.

AccountSupervisor posted:

1/8th of this show has spent time talking about Dr. Manhattan. This was probably my least favorite episode of the show but some of you are so fragile with your enjoyment of this series its unbelievable.

Ive followed this thread since page 1 and the thing that has consistently made me laugh is the constant projection / self-owning that just drips off the two of these guys, heh

Nobody "hate watches". It's fine and fun to point out the Weaknesses of a show in addition to its Strengths. Unless you get royalties based on the rotten tomato score I'd say just don't get too pissy when someone gives your show a 9.0 instead of a 10!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bedshaped posted:

LG didn't die off screen, he died on screen with a head poppin'.

Man this would actually rule. "I'll embed myself with 7K to get to Angela's house but I'll tell her it's me when I see her and we'll team u--" *BLAMMO*

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

How is his arc done? Its only just started. He realized the truth, but now we should get to see who he decides to be in light of that fact and what actions he chooses to take.

Don't see why LG needs to suddenly disappear into the sunset?

Yeah, at the end of his episode his arc seemed to be "he was broken and disillusioned by the truth." But now we see he fought back and is, apparently, going for the 7K armed with one of their masks and knowledge of their plan. He has potential to be a more uplifting version of "no compromise in the face of Armageddon". He wasn't broken and jaded by learning the lie that sparked the 7k's resurgence, he's revitalized in his purpose, fighting back to prevent a new generation from being traumatized and hosed up by a new version of what happened to him. I hope.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Doc gets vaporized in the same episode he and Adrian have a talk about how vaporizing him didn't work. My guess is he purposely got teleported to see where it was, because wherever it is is shrouded in that anti-Doc-vision radiation.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Sleeveless posted:

It's possible that people liked the show when it started then it started having a lot of unsatisfying twists that made it worse as a whole and it's also possible that not liking those twists isnt a sign of mental illness my man

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
LG isn't wearing a dang mask

He uncovered one, recognized it as a fellow cop, and knew it was Kavalry all the way down and got the hell out of dodge

He's the audience insert (note the mask) and so he made the extremely reasonable decision, when confronted with world shattering conspiracies and revelations, to say Lol No and take up a new identity, just off screen

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Pellisworth posted:

Re: Veidt's "eight million" children

When I heard that I was a bit confused. My first thought was maybe he's referencing people who got mindfucked by the squid or something? Like Looking Glass's formative life experience is surviving the squid's psychic blast, so in a sense Veidt shaped their lives and they are the legacy of his crazyass scheme. Those eight million "children" (maybe the kids of the people who survived too) live with the trauma of the squid and that trauma helps keep the post-nuclear world order in place.

Maybe I misheard it, but I thought he said "eight billion children." I took it to mean what he credits himself for saving: the current total population of Earth. They'd be dead if not for him and 3 million sacrifices.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Nobody "hate watches".

This is completely false

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Yeah, how else would Walking Dead still be on?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Wolfsheim posted:

It's possible that people liked the show when it started then it started having a lot of unsatisfying twists that made it worse as a whole and it's also possible that not liking those twists isnt a sign of mental illness my man

Yeah I loved the show up until about the last half of episode 7 and this episode was all kinds of bad to me.

It's one more hour so yes I'm going to finish it out. I've never had my opinion on a show change this quickly and severely and I still love at least 80% of the runtime we've had so far, so it's not inconceivable I like the finale.

quote:

Maybe I misheard it, but I thought he said "eight billion children." I took it to mean what he credits himself for saving: the current total population of Earth.

This was said/suggested earlier and it definitely sounds like millions and it says millions in the subtitles. It could be a mistake by the actor or just an artifact of the fake accent(and a subber not bothering to verify with the script), but as is it sounds pretty weird.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

LifeLynx posted:

Doc gets vaporized in the same episode he and Adrian have a talk about how vaporizing him didn't work. My guess is he purposely got teleported to see where it was, because wherever it is is shrouded in that anti-Doc-vision radiation.

Tachyon research wasn't there yet 30 years ago

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

He uncovered one, recognized it as a fellow cop, and knew it was Kavalry all the way down and got the hell out of dodge

He's the audience insert (note the mask) and so he made the extremely reasonable decision, when confronted with world shattering conspiracies and revelations, to say Lol No and take up a new identity, just off screen

Thats not how literally anyone with a basic understanding of screenwriting and cinematography would have executed that scene for the purpose your surmising so Im gunna go ahead and say youre extremely incorrect and Im saving this post so I can make sure to point this out next week.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

AccountSupervisor posted:

Thats not how literally anyone with a basic understanding of screenwriting and cinematography would have executed that scene for the purpose your surmising so Im gunna go ahead and say youre extremely incorrect and Im saving this post so I can make sure to point this out next week.

This is Lindelof so I'm sure you're correct and he's going to make the blunder of LG returning to shoot the bad guy in the back at the last second

I'm not trying to predict the future, just saying what would make for Good television

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I liked the last episode. Fite me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

The implication was that what Ozy did didn't work, and that the 7K learned that and developed a new technique building on that but doing something else as well. So that's... not remotely a problem?

*tries to shoot werewolf*
*werewolf regenerates*
*gets silver bullets and shoots werewolf*

PLOT HOLE! We just had a conversation about how werewolves regenerate bullet holes!!!!1!

I see it as partially Manhattan being tired of his existence and wanting to commit suicide, and half him being still discombobulated by just having his memory restored and being in all times at once, and half him just seeing in the future that he was going to get killed by the cannon, so he himself believed in it.

If you can see the future and recognize that it is the future and your vision of it is accurate, then you start to fall into a sort of fatalism belief. There's no point opposing anything because everything already is.

That's why Jon doesn't fight back, and is generally so... calm. Because he already knows its going to happen. Not just he knows its coming, but he believes it has to be. So why fight back?

The only reason he kills the 7K at all is to help keep Angela safe.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Regarding Looking Glass: there were four gunman in the truck that came to whack him. I counted five bodies on the floor, one without a mask. He killed his attackers, took the mask from one and was playing dead in the room. My guess is that he's going to try to kidnap Petey in order to get to Laurie unless Petey is slippery enough to squeeze out of his grasp.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This is Lindelof so I'm sure you're correct and he's going to make the blunder of LG returning to shoot the bad guy in the back at the last second

I'm not trying to predict the future, just saying what would make for Good television

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Ive followed this thread since page 1 and the thing that has consistently made me laugh is the constant projection / self-owning that just drips off the two of these guys, heh

:ironicat:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Your idea of "good television" is a central character learning an earth-shattering secret and then completely disappearing from the story forever?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Weedle posted:

Your idea of "good television" is a central character learning an earth-shattering secret and then completely disappearing from the story forever?

He's not a central character. He was a Monster of the Week episode

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

LifeLynx posted:

I think it was tachyons that Veidt used to cloud Manhattan's mind in the comic so if they're slamming him into a tachyon cage or whatever then that explains why he can't see anything after his "death".

I bet the season ends with Dr. Manhattan once again leaving Earth, but this time with Angela, to create hybrid life somewhere since Adam & Eve-ing it from scratch was so unfulfilling. The kids will be hand-waved away since they seem to be a vestigial subplot from an earlier story treatment.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

He's been in five of eight episodes so far. Must have been a long week!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
So veidt's squid rains have been on autopilot for a couple years?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I was wondering about that. We see in the scene that he is doing some manual intervention to get the squifall going--looks like he was maybe selecting a target, then hitting a few buttons to activate something, etc. If it can go on autopilot, why not just... do that? Unless he's bored, maybe, I guess? "I could set my coffee maker up to brew coffee automatically in the morning, but why do that when I can fart around with it tomorrow morning when I'm in a hurry to get to work?"

Also, 7K might have found his lair. Maybe they've been keeping up the charade.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

:psyduck:

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

just another posted:

I think it was tachyons that Veidt used to cloud Manhattan's mind in the comic so if they're slamming him into a tachyon cage or whatever then that explains why he can't see anything after his "death".

I bet the season ends with Dr. Manhattan once again leaving Earth, but this time with Angela, to create hybrid life somewhere since Adam & Eve-ing it from scratch was so unfulfilling. The kids will be hand-waved away since they seem to be a vestigial subplot from an earlier story treatment.

He mentions they'll have ten years, then a tragedy but never spoke any further. Nothing in his dialogue makes it absolutely certain that he or Angela won't survive the encounter, and the idea of the heroes travelling to the den of the antagonist shrouded by tachyons before a major disaster is set up to be mirrored perfectly.

Also keep in mind the scene where Manhattan mentioned passing his abilities through a kind of eucharist involved him creating a simple egg. As soon as he's restored, the first thing he does is make waffles because he's 'hungry' and the eggs are dropped on the floor. Without the egg, maybe Manhattan had to make his waffles with something a little more special.

Calling it now: Dr. Manhattan gives Angela the blue waffle.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Nobody "hate watches". It's fine and fun to point out the Weaknesses of a show in addition to its Strengths. Unless you get royalties based on the rotten tomato score I'd say just don't get too pissy when someone gives your show a 9.0 instead of a 10!

Lmao dude this episode was my least favorite as I said, it had issues. I actively groaned at a lot of the same moments everyone else did in this episode, but theres just so much dramatic immediate dismissal of a story that isnt actively and perfectly catering to everyones specific wants and needs from this show. There is a certain element of willful engagement you have to give any work of fiction and anyone who hinders that because they themselves create an impossible framework in their mind before letting a story speak for itself is doing themselves a disservice IMO. I just will not ever understand this type of viewership, period. I think people set shows up for failure in their own minds as much shows do it to themselves.

I.E. you literally already declaring LGs imminent return as bad before it is even ever presented. If you cant see how that is a clear and obvious confirmation bias you have set up for yourself going into next week, than I dont know what to tell you.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
President Redford is up there turning the squid lever

I also like that Adrian's imprisonment is basically a prank? Like Manhattan didn't really tell him that the clones are all mentally impaired and it kinda sucks? Just lots of hilarious revelations all around this episode

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

all the people getting dunked on by zaphod should really re-think their posting careers

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
lmao wtf are u kidding itt that was the best episode of the show so far and it was really, really good and i came in here and read two pages of people hating on it

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

upgunned shitpost posted:

all the people getting dunked on by zaphod should really re-think their posting careers

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Weedle posted:

He's been in five of eight episodes so far. Must have been a long week!

IMDB credit does not a central character make

Watchmen is the story of Angela Abar and any central character needs to be someone with their hand on the wheel of her arc

LG influences her story exactly once but apart from that his journey is just the Black Freighter of the TV show (indirectly connected sub narrative that closely... MIRRORS... The main plot)

(and obviously he'll interact with it again if Lindelof seriously has him return for a last second, save the day moment by capping Keen in the back during a monolog. Hopefully this doesn't happen though, I have heard that Lindelof has improved his craft since Lost)

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 9, 2019

Weedle
May 31, 2006

just another posted:

It would be pretty hosed up if they abandoned the kids they adopted like three years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Do you think the scene in the main hall of Karnak was actually filmed with Manhattan and Ozy together and if so how long did Jeremy Irons have to stare at that hog

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I think Lady Trieu is pretty much an active conspirator at this point.