Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

trucutru posted:

They won't have one until the holiday sale is over. They need to move ships before they dump a bucket of ice-cold water on the backers with the sq42 news.

... Unless they are going to lie their teeth off on a most spectacular fashion and double down on the beta on 2020.

They did pull a (broken and very, very bad and unfit for purpose) arena shooter out of their rear end after secretly working on it for months; it would not be that surprising to see yet another Morrow Tour debacle that they spent months making and which has nothing in common with the previous demo, much like that previous demo had nothing to do with the one that came before that. SQ645 is very real and it will be our Christmas miracle - it will have snow and birds and fidelity, like all space shooters should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Well at least he described something possible.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tag yourself, I'm the serve drink (hopefully a hairy roberts)

quote:

He kinda looks like a scuffed and older Jamie Lannister

:laffo::laffo::laffo:

In his dreams!

trucutru fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 9, 2019

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

trucutru posted:

If they finally show procedural birds I'll be forced to join the cult.

I have standards, I'd only give in for procedural submarines.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

The stranglegs.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Gravitational lensing is in!

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Scruffpuff posted:

This is the weirdest one to me. It's basically the fundamental tenet of western religions - punish people for not having blind faith when there was nothing but contrary evidence, and if they do come around once the evidence becomes convincing, turn them away. It's anti-scientific-method in its most distilled form: believe the opposite of what the evidence says or you will be punished, and it's being touted by people who claim to want a science-fiction fidelity space shooty game.

It always sounded more about revenge to me. "That'll teach them to doubt the Thing I Believe In!"

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Dynastocles posted:

It always sounded more about revenge to me. "That'll teach them to doubt the Thing I Believe In!"

Because being Wrong is the worst thing a person can be.

This is the fundamental root of the whole SC problem and works in both directions.

If they think naysayers should be punished for being wrong, what do they have at stake if they, in fact, turn out to be wrong?

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Sandi never went away ; she learnt to murmur to the code and implemented her fantasy.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Dynastocles posted:

That's kind of my point, though. They don't want to punish dislike of the game, they want to punish doubt that a clearly inept studio can pull it off. Star Citizen isn't even a "thing they believe in" yet because it doesn't exist in any concrete, measurable form. Punishing doubt is a dangerous concept - it's basically an attack on critical thinking, the lack of which can be found behind nearly every tragedy in human history.

There's nothing good about that community - I'm reticent to say they're uniquely toxic, but I haven't seen a gaming community this bad before. Maybe it's just the result of time boiling it down to the lunatic core, but they were like this even when Chris was riding high on cocaine and lies.

It's just bizarre. The community is so poo poo that even if SC came out and was good, I wouldn't want to play alongside genetic flotsam like this. We build prisons and asylums to create distance and safety, not to visit them for fun.

Maybe Chris is saving PC gaming by creating a virtual asylum to keep all the freaks locked away. Have I been wrong? Dare I pledge more?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Guy in the loo after the deed is done finds there is no loo paper.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

MedicineHut posted:

Guy in the loo after the deed is done finds there is no loo paper.

Looks like he's dropped a load all up the walls as well.

"Gravitational lensing" indeed.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I love that the entire right whiteboard is about bartending

like its the most simplistic crap and this guy is held up as some sort of god

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

To be fair it's a joke picture.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

TheAgent posted:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Loving the comments pointing out that Eve and the X4 series have already been doing dynamic economies for years.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Since the thread has been good, and I don't think we have doxed anyone for a day or so …. can we have a Kayak pic? (Go on, dox the good boy :kayak:)

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

I just can't tell with this anymore

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Loving the comments pointing out that Eve and the X4 series have already been doing dynamic economies for years.

I always enjoy the fact that Eve is a libertarian’s wet dream until their first scam, then they really like the idea of rules...

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Hav posted:

I always enjoy the fact that Eve is a libertarian’s wet dream until their first scam, then they really like the idea of rules...

...unless the rules limit their ability to be taken in by the scam they're currently falling for. Like Star Citizen.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

trucutru posted:

AUSTIN IS NOT A JOKE!!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

trucutru posted:

It's less off a joke than their video game.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▐░░░░░░
░░░░░░▄▄▄░░▄██▄░░░░░
░░░░░▐▀█▀▌░░░░▀█▄░░░
░░░░░▐█▄█▌░░░░░░▀█▄░
░░░░░░▀▄▀░░░▄▄▄▄▄▀▀░
░░░░▄▄▄██▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░
░░░█▀▄▄▄█░▀▀░░░░░░░░
░░░▌░▄▄▄▐▌▀▀▀░░░░░░░
▄░▐░░░▄▄░█░▀▀░░░░░░░ U HAVE BEEN DESKELETONISED BY THE
▀█▌░░░▄░▀█▀░▀░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░▄▄▐▌▄▄░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░▀███▀█░▄░░░░░
░░░░░░▐▌▀▄▀▄▀▐▄░░░░░ STIMPIRE
░░░░░▐▀░░░░░░▐▌░░░░░
░░░░░░█░░░░░░░░█░░░░
░░░░░▐▌░░░░░░░░░█░░░
░░░░░█░░░░░░░░░░▐▌░░ QUOTE THIS OR BE REFACTORED

On it.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Hav posted:

Kind of like watching Level1 Techs on Youtube read the tech news wherein they describe unconstrained corporate digital malfeasance destroying society, immediately followed by a rant on government business regulation and how it really isn't required. They are oddly entertaining.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://pastebin.com/x5T756pW

Known Issues
Personal transport beacons do not broadcast.
The Vanguard Sentinel is incorrectly named Harbinger on ASOP and comms channel.
Carriable mission items can fall through flooring.
The mining and tractor beam on the Prospector are misaligned with the gimbal reticle.

:trustme: we'll fix those carriable mission items, so please ignore those items that can fall through floors which include: players, ships, weapons, grenades, ammo, NPCs, doors, rocks, chairs, and gameplay

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Quavers posted:

https://pastebin.com/x5T756pW

Known Issues
Personal transport beacons do not broadcast.
The Vanguard Sentinel is incorrectly named Harbinger on ASOP and comms channel.
Carriable mission items can fall through flooring.
The mining and tractor beam on the Prospector are misaligned with the gimbal reticle.

:trustme: we'll fix those carriable mission items, so please ignore those items that can fall through floors which include: players, ships, weapons, grenades, ammo, NPCs, doors, rocks, chairs, and gameplay

I thought the door was going to kill me... It was too close and just as leathial as a step or lift. Frozen in place like a CIG loading screen with terror I waited my fate. Just moments before my demise the door just clipped through the floor never to be seen again.

Thank Chris the sever has smiled upon me.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

I just can't tell with this anymore

The fact that they are showing any sort of info should have clued you in. Most transparent developer ever.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inacio posted:

hey that actually looked kinda nice for a few seconds
then he looked down and we saw those awful loving normal maps from 2008
then the ship exploded
then we saw how comically tiling the snow texture is

early days

I find it funny how they try so hard they tend to overcompensate. Like this is an open area, with blizzards and -100 C temperatures. There's no reason for the snow to not be mostly white plain. Instead it is jagged loving everywhere, because it better hides normal map seams (or procgen pattern, though I doubt they used that here).

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sarsapariller posted:

(snip)
* Real Money Transactions (Gag gag gag)
(snip)

That's been in the game for like three years now, but worse integrated (you had to go to an external page and buy there). They "only" got to better integrating, while also unifying the price system across PC and consoles. While at it, let players get the currency for playing (400 per week cap).

I.e. something that CI will never come to even close to doing, thinking of a concept with a clear direction and then completely realizing it.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sarsapariller posted:

* Real Money Transactions (Gag gag gag)

Always had RMT for cosmetics. What they have done is added the store in game and created an intermediary currency.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Inacio posted:

hey that actually looked kinda nice for a few seconds
then he looked down and we saw those awful loving normal maps from 2008
then the ship exploded
then we saw how comically tiling the snow texture is

early days

Yeah those ground textures and obvious tiling really stuck out like sore thumbs to me. Also the random lovely looking rocky outcropings that try to break it up, the forests with no density or undergrowth which look worse than Skyrim, and tree textures popping in at 10 meters; truly PC gaming is saved. You see this poo poo all the time on their planets because the engine can’t handle large open areas.

But it’s only planet tech v1! Just wait until v2 launches! We’re just lucky to have a glimpse into the process this early when the game has only been in development for 8 years.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

colonelwest posted:

Yeah those ground textures and obvious tiling really stuck out like sore thumbs to me. Also the random lovely looking rocky outcropings that try to break it up, the forests with no density or undergrowth which look worse than Skyrim, and tree textures popping in at 10 meters; truly PC gaming is saved. You see this poo poo all the time on their planets because the engine can’t handle large open areas.

But it’s only planet tech v1! Just wait until v2 launches! We’re just lucky to have a glimpse into the process this early when the game has only been in development for 8 years.

The first six of those years were Tier-0 years. Really things are just getting started with SSOCS, which makes the flight model exist and creates a game loop.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

G0RF posted:

I don’t mean it as an insult to Baron at all. He’s an alright guy and certainly has been one of their more charismatic streamers. It’s an indictment of CIG’s attitudes and behaviors toward the loyalists who promoted their game on Twitch for years. I just don’t understand why he can’t see just how opportunistic CIG has been with their longtime streamers. Baron wants his loyalty to matter, to mean something. But it doesn’t, it can’t, it never will.

I think you're being too nice.

I felt bad for Baron, BatGirl and some of the OG streamers maybe a year or two ago, especially after the rise of Rexzilla and Baron's famous breakdown on stream. But now? I don't think so. Same with the backers, if you're still hitching your wagon to this dumpster fire and you aren't getting paid handsomely for it, you have consciously chosen to ignore the facts in front of you and continue to dance for Chris Roberts. CIG has shown nothing but outright and blatant contempt for its community over the past year. Their entire message is "gently caress you! give us more money you pathetic nerds!"

Multiple people have tried to tell Baron in his chat and privately to re-brand himself and move on to real games. If he still chooses to try to build a streaming career on a garbage heap of a game that's 5 years late, that is completely on him.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 10, 2019

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

colonelwest posted:

of a game that's 5 years late, that is completely on him.

Its not late you FUDster. Backers voted for it to be delayed indefinitely, even when CR said adding to the scope wouldn't delay release. See how good the backers are to CR! He can take as long as he wants!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

colonelwest posted:

I think you're being too nice.

I felt bad for Baron, BatGirl and some of the OG streamers maybe a year or two ago, especially after the rise of Rexzilla and Baron's famous breakdown on stream. But now? I don't think so. Same with the backers, if you're still hitching your wagon to this dumpster fire and you aren't getting paid handsomely for it, you have consciously chosen to ignore the facts in front of you and continue to dance for Chris Roberts. CIG has shown nothing but outright and blatant contempt for its community over the past year. Their entire message is "gently caress you! give us more money you pathetic nerds!"

Multiple people have tried to tell Baron in his chat and privately to re-brand himself and move on to real games. If he still chooses to try to build a streaming career on a garbage heap of a game that's 5 years late, that is completely on him.

I feel bad for them but for completely different reasons than before. Before it was more of a "drat, these dudes are loving dumb" but nowadays it's more of a "drat, these guys are in a lovely situation, have been taken advantage of, and need help" (Plus they are loving dumb). Having said so, gently caress bowtie.

As a matter of fact, this whole thing has descended into a sad/pathetic spectacle on all fronts.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

this thread sucks now without the photos of reddit because now it looks like all of you dumbasses actually think all the dumbass poo poo those people do

like this thread is already the only place that defends a ton of the worst tshit game companies do (lookin at u EGS garbage) but now it just looks like youre quoting other dumb posters

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

!!!

https://twitter.com/PlayWarframe/status/1204144464597594118

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

I mean sure you can pilot your ship on a combat mission and other people can crew your ship and perform tasks on it while you're piloting and also exit the ship to fly around using rocketwings with a giant gun then board an enemy ship and take it over for a bit before killing the reactor and bailing while it explodes then return to your ship to repair it and possibly fight off invaders who have breached it...

...but none of that forces me to work as a bartender on an Idris serving a Hairy Roberts to one of the faithful with lust on his mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Why aren’t they selling in-game food for real money yet

Give us jpeggs