Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

asecondduck posted:

If you use Gmail, the date and appointment should be a hyperlink. Click that and you should be taken to calendar.
It just has the text "Wednesday, Dec 18th" and tapping/highlighting it does nothing special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

FistEnergy posted:

You really don't have to think about it or janitor it. The manufacturer has done the work of limiting the design and output to a safe level. You'll be on to your next phone long before this will be an issue.

My last phone's battery went to poo poo after 2.5-3 years.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

PirateBob posted:

And if you had babied the battery, you might have made it 3-3.5, along with driving yourself crazy and constantly worrying about the battery. Other than my Nexus 6P, which had a known issue with the battery, all of my phones have lasted 3-4 years on the original battery. Hell, my S4 still works well enough to be a media device. 1-1.5 hours of SOT after 6? years... It even had a wireless charge coil added after about 2 years, which adds a ton of heat.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My Pixel 3's battery has taken a large poo poo the last couple of days. My wife mentioned her's was running short too. Anyone else?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PirateBob posted:

To be fair, that's the expected lifespan of a phone these days to me. I wish it was more, but that's just reality.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

PirateBob posted:

Great! You should be into a new phone by then. That's a long time with the pace of improvements and innovation. Cameras especially have come a long way in the last 3 years.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

FistEnergy posted:

Great! You should be into a new phone by then. That's a long time with the pace of improvements and innovation. Cameras especially have come a long way in the last 3 years.

Aside from the battery, my original Pixel still works just fine compared to my Pixel 3, camera and all :shrug:

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Typical phone battery use is basically the worst case scenario for lithium chemistry batteries. Repeated near zero to 100% full cycling, long periods of sitting at 100%, and no thermal management. Its no wonder most phone batteries either fail or have significant capacity loss after 2-3 years.

I used to have a Droid Turbo 2 that I Qi charged exclusively the entire time I had it. The battery had probably half its normal capacity after barely a year. Qi charging on that phone for some reason was always hotter than any other device I've used with Qi charging. I can only assume that led to the battery's quick demise.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

stevewm posted:

Typical phone battery use is basically the worst case scenario for lithium chemistry batteries. Repeated near zero to 100% full cycling, long periods of sitting at 100%, and no thermal management. Its no wonder most phone batteries either fail or have significant capacity loss after 2-3 years.

I used to have a Droid Turbo 2 that I Qi charged exclusively the entire time I had it. The battery had probably half its normal capacity after barely a year. Qi charging on that phone for some reason was always hotter than any other device I've used with Qi charging. I can only assume that led to the battery's quick demise.

The Turbo 2 was just a crap phone overall. Hell you have to Root it to fix its super fast battery drain issue that even multiple hard reset/wipes wouldn't fix.

Glad were at least a little bit past that age of terrible updates on at least some Android devices released by Carriers.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Well, poo poo. An unintended consequence of upgrading to a pixel 4 was losing my preferred navigation method. I can only use full gesture nav or 3 button. The 2 button (back button plus pill) is gone.

I've tried getting used to gestures, but the back function is annoying as hell. Any time I'm in an app where I can swipe left and right between pages I inadvertently trigger back if my finger hits too close to the screen edge. And when I do want to go back it triggers inconsistently.

Give me my dedicated back button while still letting me have a pill to swipe between apps you bastards!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

stevewm posted:

Counterpoint: I've had my Pixel 3XL for a year, with it sitting on some generic wireless charger on weekdays while I'm at work, and until recently have also been plugging it in every night (I moved my charger downstairs and have been plugging it in in the mornings on the weekend) and I haven't noticed any appreciable difference in battery life.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

asecondduck posted:

Counterpoint: I've had my Pixel 3XL for a year, with it sitting on some generic wireless charger on weekdays while I'm at work, and until recently have also been plugging it in every night (I moved my charger downstairs and have been plugging it in in the mornings on the weekend) and I haven't noticed any appreciable difference in battery life.

I attribute the heat to mine dying so quickly. It was always very hot when Qi charging. The phone I got after got nowhere near as hot on Qi. In hindsight there was probably something wrong with it the entire time.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
(Android 10, Samsung S10e)

Anyone else have trouble with sync not working for emails that have already been sent to you? If I'm online, I get notified for new emails. But new emails that arrived before I went online don't get loaded into the inbox or notified.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

PirateBob posted:

(Android 10, Samsung S10e)

Anyone else have trouble with sync not working for emails that have already been sent to you? If I'm online, I get notified for new emails. But new emails that arrived before I went online don't get loaded into the inbox or notified.

What app are you using for email? Have you granted it all the permissions it asked for? Are you manually messing with WiFi or data? You should almost always just leave those alone rather than trying to control them, so makes me wonder if you've got some unusual preferences/settings configured that you don't realize is messing with syncing.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone got an ideas why my Pixel 3 is just draining the battery and it says WiFi is the number one user? I already had to charge once today, and it just lost 25% in two hours sitting on my desk without me using it. This happened yesterday as well, and I've rebooted several times.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

sourdough posted:

What app are you using for email? Have you granted it all the permissions it asked for? Are you manually messing with WiFi or data? You should almost always just leave those alone rather than trying to control them, so makes me wonder if you've got some unusual preferences/settings configured that you don't realize is messing with syncing.

Gmail. I don't remember being asked for permissions. Where can I look at what permissions are granted? I haven't messed with wifi or data settings.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

PirateBob posted:

Gmail. I don't remember being asked for permissions. Where can I look at what permissions are granted? I haven't messed with wifi or data settings.

Long press the Gmail icon, click the little i, then there's permissions. Or if Samsung changed it, find your apps list in settings and click on Gmail. Only other idea is battery stuff, though it really shouldn't be having such a weird specific effect. One thing you can try is excluding Gmail from "battery optimization" (though it shouldn't be having this effect). Google where that is on a Samsung, I'm not sure. Also check that you're not running in any battery saver mode. Otherwise, :shrug:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Branch Nvidian posted:

Whoops, never had that happen before, they've always prompted me.

Maybe because it's an Android One device? I guess I'm overdue for a hard reset anyway, let's see if the camera works any better.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Two of the biggest Android sites - Android Central and Android Police - have announced their top devices of 2019. Presented without comment - there are plenty of good devices, it all hinges on your personal preferences and desires, etc etc etc. Worth a 5 minute read while pooping...

https://www.androidcentral.com/best-of-2019

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/12/09/2019-smartphone-of-the-year-award-pixel3a/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Why would anyone care what they think?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Thermopyle posted:

I like to read reviews and be informed about things even if I won't be buying a new phone until my current one starts to fail.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

OhFunny posted:

I like to read reviews and be informed about things even if I won't be buying a new phone until my current one starts to fail.

Yes, getting facts from reviews is different from someones subjective list of "best".

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Thermopyle posted:

Yes, getting facts from reviews is different from someones subjective list of "best".

I don't really agree. I find a lot more value in these lists where multiple things are being compared against other than a stand alone review.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Why would anyone care what you think? Any of us think? We gather opinions to inform our own. Don't be a turd

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Are you OK?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Everyone please post nicely about phones.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

In other phone news, this month's Pixel update just hit my 4XL and face unlock feels significantly faster now. I didn't even feel it was slow before. Isn't technology rad?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
My 2 year old Android phone has this weird issue recently where it won't charge with a USB-C to USB-C cable. I tried two different USB-C to USB-C cables and it doesn't work on my phone but actually works perfectly fine on my coworkers Samsung Galaxy phones so it's not the cables. Meanwhile, I have no issues charging with a USB to USB-C cable. What the hell is going on here?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

vyst posted:

Why would anyone care what you think?

If I say Phone X is the phone of the year...no one.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
My Xperia XZ1has this issue where the USB-C port is getting loose: most aftermarket cables won't stay connected, and even the regular cable it came with also has trouble staying put. Contrast this with my Gopro, where you really have to yank the cable out.
Tried to clean the port and remove some lint but there was no difference.
Is my phone busted? :ohdear:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Chikimiki posted:

My Xperia XZ1has this issue where the USB-C port is getting loose: most aftermarket cables won't stay connected, and even the regular cable it came with also has trouble staying put. Contrast this with my Gopro, where you really have to yank the cable out.

Should've gotten a phone with wireless charging! :science:

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Chikimiki posted:

My Pixel 2 is dealing with the same thing. Maybe just a fun quirk of USB-C ports over a certain age.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

My Pixel 2 is dealing with the same thing. Maybe just a fun quirk of USB-C ports over a certain age.

Plugging into my MacBook Pro is like a hotdog in a hallway no matter the cable in both ports but my OG Pixel XL is tighter than a gnat's rear end on a lemon wedge with the same cables. Both are about the same age. USB-C had its issues

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Anyone got an ideas why my Pixel 3 is just draining the battery and it says WiFi is the number one user? I already had to charge once today, and it just lost 25% in two hours sitting on my desk without me using it. This happened yesterday as well, and I've rebooted several times.

I deleted and re-added my home wifi network and that seems to have fixed it so far...

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

CLAM DOWN posted:

In other phone news, this month's Pixel update just hit my 4XL and face unlock feels significantly faster now. I didn't even feel it was slow before. Isn't technology rad?

That sounds awesome, can I force my phone to check for updates or am I stuck waiting until it's offered to me?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bbcisdabomb posted:

That sounds awesome, can I force my phone to check for updates or am I stuck waiting until it's offered to me?

I dunno man, tapping the "check for updates" button works everytime for me, and I install the Pixel updates in like an hour after I read stuff online about it being released.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

CLAM DOWN posted:

I dunno man, tapping the "check for updates" button works everytime for me, and I install the Pixel updates in like an hour after I read stuff online about it being released.

I forgot there was even a check for updates button, that one's on me.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Did the update and holy poo poo it is faster. I'll have to test it with my sunglasses.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Check for update button still does nothing for me annoyingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

butt dickus posted:

Did the update and holy poo poo it is faster. I'll have to test it with my sunglasses.

Have you noticed multitasking improvements too? They made some significant change with app compression, it's noticeable for me. A+ update all around.