Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

A man crying about a baby and a chicken? I thought this was a comedy show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

Sash! posted:

A man crying about a baby and a chicken? I thought this was a comedy show?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Basically agree with this thesis.

https://kryptonradio.com/2019/12/10/op-ed-the-mandalorian-isnt-thin-its-measured/

Show good.

Herostratus
May 1, 2013
Whoever claimed the show lacked action scenes? It has a ton of those.
What bothers people is the lack of plot development. I personally don't mind, but its not an empty criticusm.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Herostratus posted:

Whoever claimed the show lacked action scenes? It has a ton of those.
What bothers people is the lack of plot development. I personally don't mind, but its not an empty criticusm.

Sometimes a "lack of plot" is exactly what you need, just let it breath.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also there's a lot of plot in a show don't tell sense and there's a lot going on but sometimes people just want to be spoonfed which is weird seeing as how they don't like that in the movies

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

I didn't know people were complaining that it wasn't action-packed enough. The acting is ehhhh and the writing is more contrived & episodic than I was expecting, but the episodes are pretty busy.

I was expecting it to get the Prestige TV treatment but I didn't follow its press or development beyond watching the trailer.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Interview with Brendan Wayne (John Wayne's grandson), who seems to be performing most of the actual Mandalorian work on set this season. A lot of interesting behind the scenes information, seems that Pascal was on set, but he had so much going on, he wasn't in costume all that much. Brendan seems to be the base emulation point for the in-costume performance when other people do it:

https://www.vulture.com/2019/12/the-mandalorian-double-brendan-wayne-interview.html

Hopefully he'll get a chance to act outside of the costume as another character at some point. He's 47, maybe he could also be the possible Mandalorian who saves the Mando back in the Clone Wars? The age would work, and it would allow him to be the in-universe inspiration for the boy he potentially inspires.

Teek fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 10, 2019

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Desperado Bones posted:

My eyes are tired from working on designs the whole day, I didn't want to open photoshop.

The rl one is slightly squished. Probably some designing bullshit, like "we have to put this poo poo in this space and my boss doesn't give a poo poo if I hosed it up lol", or new official vector by Disney. I dunno, whatever, it is the same.

:Mandalorian-sigh.gif:

The thing on the wall is definitely the "True Mandalorian" sigil and also definitely a Yoda face, when it's revealed that Mandalorians and Yodas have been palling around for thousands of years. OG Yoda gave Herzog the contract specifically so Mando would find this kid and rekindle the relationship.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Teek posted:

Interview with Brendan Wayne (John Wayne's grandson), who seems to be performing most of the actual Mandalorian work on set this season. A lot of interesting behind the scenes information, seems that Pascal was on set, but he had so much going on, he wasn't in costume all that much. Brendan seems to be the base emulation point for the in-costume performance when other people do it:

https://www.vulture.com/2019/12/the-mandalorian-double-brendan-wayne-interview.html

Hopefully he'll get a chance to act outside of the costume as another character at some point. He's 47, maybe he could also be the possible Mandalorian who saves the Mando back in the Clone Wars? The age would work, and it would allow him to be the in-universe inspiration for the boy he potentially inspires.

Ooft. I heard that Pascal didn't actually film much, if any, of the premier, but this kind of burns. By any reasonable standard Wayne should be credited as a regular, and not just Pascal for voice work.

(I think it'd probably behove the show to credit the kid's puppeteers as regulars too, but that boat's largely sailed at this point).

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Lol if Yodas are the original Mandalorians, making the show be named after Baby Yoda after all, explaining why people can't tell if the flag is a Yoda or an OG Mandalorian thing, and hard-trolling a segment of fans.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

See this is why Ryan Reynolds insisted that there never be any other actor in the Deadpool suit from the very beginning

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Where is this "yodas are the original Mandalorians" theory coming from

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Donovan Trip posted:

Where is this "yodas are the original Mandalorians" theory coming from

Soft drug use, via two posts above yours.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Hobo Clown posted:

The thing on the wall is definitely the "True Mandalorian" sigil and also definitely a Yoda face, when it's revealed that Mandalorians and Yodas have been palling around for thousands of years. OG Yoda gave Herzog the contract specifically so Mando would find this kid and rekindle the relationship.

*Sighs in Mandalorian*

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Open Source Idiom posted:

Soft drug use, via two posts above yours.

Stone sober, just stupid.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Just so you guys know, Hot Topic has Baby Yoda merch on their website and some of it will be on sale for the next 3 hours.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

There are several Mandalorian t-shirts I would like to buy, but holy money exchange rates! :stonklol:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Australiancrying.gif

$80 for a t-shirt, gently caress that for a lark

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Desperado Bones posted:

There are several Mandalorian t-shirts I would like to buy, but holy money exchange rates! :stonklol:

I ended up getting a Mandalorian hoodie because I am a huge nerd. It has a face mesh and also a cape. I do not regret my decision.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Panfilo posted:

I ended up getting a Mandalorian hoodie because I am a huge nerd. It has a face mesh and also a cape. I do not regret my decision.

Every time I notice that cape I keep thinking that Mando really needs a fashion intervention from Edna Mode before he ends up sucked into a hyperdrive or something.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You can only wear a cape with a stiff back and a proud chin.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Rocksicles posted:

You can only wear a cape with a stiff back and a proud chin.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/99b06244-f5f7-4b2c-862c-a03a46946a82

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Just so you guys know, Hot Topic has Baby Yoda merch on their website and some of it will be on sale for the next 3 hours.

Most of their shirts are the same as the DesignByHumans collection

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

kiimo posted:

See this is why Ryan Reynolds insisted that there never be any other actor in the Deadpool suit from the very beginning

Didn't help Terrence Howard.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GoutPatrol posted:

Didn't help Terrence Howard.

He tried to terryology the disney accountants, you don't gently caress with the mouse's money

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sgt. Politeness posted:

"Oh cool they did get plushes in time for Christmas!" (Ships in April womp womp)

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

Australiancrying.gif

$80 for a t-shirt, gently caress that for a lark

It's around $360 Mexican pesos for a t-shirt for me. And that's already with the discount. :shepicide:

Panfilo posted:

I salute you nerdy goon.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Yoda always trolled the Jedi because he views 50 year old men as children. Think about THAT, Mando.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It's very Spaghetti Western how this series treats names.
The Mandolorian.
The Client.
The Child.

In any "realistic" setting it would have been awkward not to give his name for two weeks in fishtown, and Baby Yoda probably would have had one foisted upon him. But in this Leone-esque space myth the characters are icons/ciphers who transcend names.

Anyway I like it, show good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Start calling Mando Blondie imo

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Yoda always trolled the Jedi because he views 50 year old men as children. Think about THAT, Mando.

He said luke was too old to train, he's full of poo poo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yoda was definitely trolling Luke, and never stopped, even as a ghost.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Yoda didn't want to train Luke at all because he knew how Anakin turned out - it took Ghost Ben convincing him to do it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ringo Star Get posted:

Yoda didn't want to train Luke at all because he knew how Anakin turned out - it took Ghost Ben convincing him to do it.

And he ended up being right in a way, as Luke was equally impulsive and ran off into a trap before his training was finished (including ignoring Leia literally shouting "It's a trap!" to keep running into the trap). The only difference is Luke survived his missteps and came out more humble and willing to learn, rather than being manipulated into becoming a Sith by playing on his fears.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The jedi are canonically, textually really bad at training people and keeping the piece and should have passed the torch long ago to another Force tradition. Let the witches of Dathomir tag in or something.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Owlbear Camus posted:

It's very Spaghetti Western how this series treats names.
The Mandolorian.
The Client.
The Child.

In any "realistic" setting it would have been awkward not to give his name for two weeks in fishtown, and Baby Yoda probably would have had one foisted upon him. But in this Leone-esque space myth the characters are icons/ciphers who transcend names.

Anyway I like it, show good.

Love it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ringo Star Get posted:

Ghost Ben was like "C'moooon" and Yoda was like "nah" and Ben was like "c'moooOOOOOnnnnnn" and Yoda was all "fine"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/Aaron_Sparrow/status/1204826566271721472

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
This suggests The Mandalorian has to change Baby Yoda's diapers.