Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I looked at reddit (I know, I know) and it seems like the map defenders have logged on and settled on saying that it was actually a map to the first jedi temple all along, which is merely where everyone correctly guessed luke went. All the times they call it 'the map to luke' is merely shorthand for this. Also below exists in a supposedly canon source but was a mistake and should be disregarded. In conclusion, I have now almost certainly thought about the treasure map longer than JJ did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

skasion posted:

The resistance didn’t start a republic and it’s not the same as the rebel alliance from the original movies. After the rebels won in 6, they established a republic, but didn’t finish exterminating the imperial military. Some elements of this regrouped as the First Order and began to move against the republic, but the republic, for reasons not given, ignored this. The most radical republican leader, Leia, therefore set up her own private army, the resistance. It failed to stop the First Order who destroyed the republican leadership and, apparently with the connivance of financial interests, took over the galaxy.

This is
all conveyed really ineptly or cut from the actual movies, but it’s what’s going on.

Says it all, really

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

No Mods No Masters posted:

I looked at reddit (I know, I know) and it seems like the map defenders have logged on and settled on saying that it was actually a map to the first jedi temple all along, which is merely where everyone correctly guessed luke went. All the times they call it 'the map to luke' is merely shorthand for this. Also below exists in a supposedly canon source but was a mistake and should be disregarded. In conclusion, I have now almost certainly thought about the treasure map longer than JJ did

This would make the First Order even more inept. If they spent however many years desperately searching for Luke, why would they never search the first place everyone guessed he would go?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

They also didn't know where the temple was- only that wherever it was, that was probably where luke would go. Not gonna argue with it being asinine for sure though

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

actually i like my helmet its cool again

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I looked up whether or not Kylo trained on Ach-To, which would be all the more dumb, but apparently we have no idea what planet Luke’s temple was on.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
A customer came into work today and said, "people should be grateful they're getting more Starwars! It's better than what you could be getting even if it's still bad".
I'm paraphrasing, but Christ almighty, this dude was in his forties and basically saying why are you upset that all new media isn't branded. We should thank our overlords at Disney for the opportunity to watch the same poo poo over and over and over.

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

No Mods No Masters posted:

They also didn't know where the temple was- only that wherever it was, that was probably where luke would go. Not gonna argue with it being asinine for sure though

So Luke left a map to the place where he was going and everyone knew that's where he would be, but its different now that its a Jedi temple? :psypop:

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
All films now require a cameo from R2D2.
12 angry men, but there's a Droid beeping in the background.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Guys, we established that JJ/Rian are poo poo writers like 50 pages ago.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
It doesn't matter if the writing is bad. You should just be happy that you're gettin more STAR WARS!!!

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

my dog died im sad posted:

All films now require a cameo from R2D2.
12 angry men, but there's a Droid beeping in the background.

*Unconvinced Beep*

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
How long does that dreadnought have to be for that dumb bomber scene to make sense? Well, that one part of it. Obviously there are many reasons it doesn't make any sense.

I was estimating 5000 miles but maybe someone has done some real work.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

It doesn't matter if the writing is bad. You should just be happy that you're gettin more STAR WARS!!!

<video of Rich Evans masturbating with a droid>

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Kazak posted:

*Unconvinced Beep*

In hindsight, it was a mistake to make an astrodroid the jury foreman.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

The Wachowskis spent nearly a decade writing and then rewriting the script for The Matrix. They clearly had no plans for a sequel at that time. And then 4 years later they had fully shot, produced, and released two sequels. Clearly they need a shitload of time and editing to do something right because when they're on a time-limited schedule they produce profoundly bad movies, as proven by 20 years of consistently producing garbage.

It's been like 15 years since the third Matrix movie was released but they've been busy releasing all sorts of other stupid poo poo in the meantime, so I have to assume that they haven't really spent much time working on a script for Matrix 4. And so it too will be a pile of dumb garbage that only appeals to mouth-breathing morons and edgy teenagers.

Uhh Jupiter Ascending, Speedracer, and Cloud Atlas all own :getout:

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Speed racer ruled and is one of the best if not the best cartoon adaptation.

Nice Guy Patron fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 11, 2019

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Blistex posted:

<video of Rich Evans masturbating with a droid>

I just want to stress, that grown people feel this way. Instead of having new stories they would prefer having anything as long as it's branded with the poo poo they remember as a child.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
There shouldn't be any new songs after stairway to heaven. Close the book. All music should be variations on that now.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Presenting Nipples posted:

Uhh Jupiter Ascending, Speedracer, and Cloud Atlas all own :getout:

Maybe lay off the pipe a bit

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

skasion posted:

Good question! Luke says that “the temple was burning, he had vanished with a handful of my students and slaughtered the rest.” You would think that what precisely this means and how we are to interpret it is pretty loving important, but the movies don’t agree.

Is "Kylo was just trying to escape at all cost" in the comics or something? Cause it's not in the movies, which both seemed to convey exactly what you're conveying: that Kylo got freaked out by Luke standing over him with a lightsaber and then destroyed the entire temple and killed all of the students except for a few of his buds.

Sydin posted:

Ah yes Obi-Wan should have prevented Anakin's fall by... uh, I guess recognizing he was into Natalie Portman and tell him to keep it in his pants? Or are you arguing he should have just murdered child Anakin from the start? :confused: Like don't get me wrong Anakin and Obi-Wan's relationship as portrayed in the prequels is dogshit, but even there Obi-Wan is a better teacher to Anakin than Luke is shown to be to Kylo. Also no "See you around kid" is not Deadpool but it's still a smug one liner that feels out of place.

Luke sucks in the TLJ and it has nothing to do with him being an a disillusioned old hermit, they could have made that work if they'd bothered to try. It's because they do nothing with that premise for 98% of the movie and then when they finally decide to have him do something it's a lazy retread of Obi-Wan vs Vader from ANH so fans can wank over how it's like poetry, it rhymes.

Obi-Wan was a dogshit mentor and he knew it. He literally says "I failed you". Anakin is very easily turned to the dark side, he barely needs any coaxing at all. And Obi-Wan doesn't even seem to notice that anything is amiss until Anakin has already slaughtered a bunch of children.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

The Walrus posted:

its a pretty good sequel setup

I would :(

Pitch: Wag the Dog, but instead of bradley fighting vehicles its at-ats

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I dont like going through threads and seeing people badmouth Speed Racer

Youre all welcome to keep dumping on Star Wars

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

quote:

was i picked on in jedi academy? hmm let me think 
* Possessed record levels of midochlorians 
* Mom was a virgin (long story)
* Wore a bath robe to school every day 

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Poop Pieporker.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Yeah, this is some beginner writing poo poo right here. Show don't tell...

The movie actually does neither.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

wuggles posted:

This, but also:

* throne room fight is a work of art
** every Kylo/Rey interaction is a treasure
** killing Snoke is really interesting if they’d fully commit to Kylo Ren being the villain which they won’t
* deconstructing Luke as someone who is disillusioned with his own legend and calling attention to the Jedi’s flaws is very much my Star Wars poo poo

How are you this loving stupid?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Like literally every human on earth disagrees with those opinions how did you come up with those you loving moron

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
luke's story in TLJ is the best part of any of the new movies

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Speed racer ruled and is one of the best if not the best cartoon adaptation.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Rey boring

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
/\ The only time she is not boring is when she is sharing a scene with Finn or Kylo, and that's because she's coasting on John/Adam's charisma/enthusiasm/talent.

Big Beef City posted:

Like literally every human on earth disagrees with those opinions how did you come up with those you loving moron

I sort of partially agree with the "art" comment regarding the throne room scene (actually more the set than the scene) because it was was visually striking. The throne room scene, along with the Kamikaze scene were the only two moments in that film that were in any way visually interesting to me. Like was mentioned, just look at any single person in the throne room fight scene, and it's becomes painfully obvious how poorly done that was. At one point Kylo stabs the floor for absolutely no reason, and I picked up on so many pauses, and goofs on the first watch, which is something I almost never do.

No word of a lie, the first time I saw it, I paused it, and started laughing because I was literally thinking of this...

It was that disjointed and uncoordinated.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 11, 2019

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

I found Snoke's throne set to be rather visually boring. A number of interviews with the set designers describe it as going for an opulent feel but it comes across like a somewhat minimalist green screen set (red screen in this case I guess).

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Vernii posted:

I found Snoke's throne set to be rather visually boring. A number of interviews with the set designers describe it as going for an opulent feel but it comes across like a somewhat minimalist green screen set (red screen in this case I guess).

I was just happy to see something that wasn't CGI or "Generic Imperial/Rebel ship interior".

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Vernii posted:

you didnt like the weird space scope thing? that's the single best part about any of the Disney SW

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Was genuinely surprised Kylo didn't have to put a quarter in to make it work.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Luke left the map with R2 because he didn't want to delete R2's memories, so he just encrypted the map. Lor San Tekka has the encryption key because it was the same password as his HBO Go account which he had been sharing with Luke

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Luke left the map with R2 because he didn't want to delete R2's memories, so he just encrypted the map. Lor San Tekka has the encryption key because it was the same password as his HBO Go account which he had been sharing with Luke

There is no way this is canon. That's a competing streaming service. They were sharing a Disney + account.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Chomp8645 posted:

There is no way this is canon. That's a competing streaming service. They were sharing a Disney + account.

Yeah that's just basic native advertising sense come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I heard the final edit wasn't even finished like a week ago