Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Dross posted:

OPP is where most of the WW alumni are from what I understand.

No, they’re basically all gone at this point. Rich Thomas and Eddy Webb are the only ones left, and Eddy only does his creator-owned stuff.

At this point, it’s an open question whether OPP is able to survive the transition now that Paradox is more-or-less openly taking the World of Darkness from them.

(Not that I know what’s going to happen to the World of Darkness license now that Modiphius seems to have decided Vampire isn’t worth the hassle.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

What does OPP have in the pipeline other than the things they have currently kickstarted? Will there be another Vampire the Requiem book? Or is the situation more that everyone is working on the Kickstarter things so in a few years we will get another batch of kickstarted books and the cycle will continue.

I have really enjoyed the Trinity Aeon stuff I have played and definitely am interested in more in that setting. At the same time I am very glad that the book included a complete timeline from start to finish of what will happen if the PCs don't exist. Even if nothing else ever releases I know the kinds of things that are intended to happen, and it all has a defined conclusion too.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Lord_Hambrose posted:

What does OPP have in the pipeline other than the things they have currently kickstarted? Will there be another Vampire the Requiem book? Or is the situation more that everyone is working on the Kickstarter things so in a few years we will get another batch of kickstarted books and the cycle will continue.

I have really enjoyed the Trinity Aeon stuff I have played and definitely am interested in more in that setting. At the same time I am very glad that the book included a complete timeline from start to finish of what will happen if the PCs don't exist. Even if nothing else ever releases I know the kinds of things that are intended to happen, and it all has a defined conclusion too.

Their Monday Meeting Notes should tell you everything they have in the pipeline.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Oh, neat.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The real bottlenecks are editing and development. Scion: Demigod has had all drafts turned in for like two months or so now, frex.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

i just hope they cling on for another year or two so they can do Demon 20th Anniversary Edition. Of all the oWoD games which need the love, Demon needs it most.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Warthur posted:

i just hope they cling on for another year or two so they can do Demon 20th Anniversary Edition. Of all the oWoD games which need the love, Demon needs it most.

Unfortunately, my guess is that now that Paradox is in charge of the WoD and rolling out their Fifth Edition as licensing fodder, they won't want to allow any more/new 20th Anniversary Editions because it will distract from whatever hypothetical future plans they have for those lines, extending the wait to after they have worked their way through all the other lines.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

I Am Just a Box posted:

Unfortunately, my guess is that now that Paradox is in charge of the WoD and rolling out their Fifth Edition as licensing fodder, they won't want to allow any more/new 20th Anniversary Editions because it will distract from whatever hypothetical future plans they have for those lines, extending the wait to after they have worked their way through all the other lines.

I suppose Onyx Path's big hope is that they are at least in touch with a lot of the recent freelancers, and because Paradox have shut down all in-house work they still need bodies to actually do the work of writing their new material.

On the other hand, maybe those freelancers could do just as good work with a different publisher with a better pay scale for freelancers.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
OPP does still seem to have the nWoD stuff and exalted, though I have no idea how the financials of those lines play out in terms of keeping the lights on for a company as such. Plus their owned settings in trinity and scion verse.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It’s been explicitly stated that there won’t be any new 20th Anniversary Lines (unless that changes, I guess).

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Warthur posted:

I suppose Onyx Path's big hope is that they are at least in touch with a lot of the recent freelancers, and because Paradox have shut down all in-house work they still need bodies to actually do the work of writing their new material.

On the other hand, maybe those freelancers could do just as good work with a different publisher with a better pay scale for freelancers.

We know who currently has the licenses to develop tabletop books for Masquerade and Apocalypse.

Modiphius handles Vampire development, though Onyx Path has also received licensing to produce supplements of their own.
Apocalypse development went to Hunters Entertainment, who did... Kids on Bikes? Altered Carbon RPG? I'm not sure what they're really known for.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Desiden posted:

OPP does still seem to have the nWoD stuff and exalted, though I have no idea how the financials of those lines play out in terms of keeping the lights on for a company as such. Plus their owned settings in trinity and scion verse.
Exalted's getting a new simplified core rulebook, isn't it? That might be the first step in righting that ship.

Chronicles of Darkness feels like it's a real tricky one. In an ideal world OPP would just take full ownership of it, seeing how Paradox seems to have no intention of doing anything with it themselves, but it's so intertwined with oWoD (right down to shared concepts between game lines) despite supposedly being a clean slate that that's a big ask. (Requiem is arguably the major sticking point here, given that it has entire clans in common with Masquerade.)

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Warthur posted:

Exalted's getting a new simplified core rulebook, isn't it? That might be the first step in righting that ship.

Chronicles of Darkness feels like it's a real tricky one. In an ideal world OPP would just take full ownership of it, seeing how Paradox seems to have no intention of doing anything with it themselves, but it's so intertwined with oWoD (right down to shared concepts between game lines) despite supposedly being a clean slate that that's a big ask. (Requiem is arguably the major sticking point here, given that it has entire clans in common with Masquerade.)

As far as I'm aware Exalted is reliably a moneymaker for OPP, it just takes a long time to write the splatbooks (about one KS per year, since the new devs started and actually produced splatbooks beyond the core at all).

The new simplified book is a one-off, not a replacement for the Core, as I understand it. So it won't change the production rate of splatbooks.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Simplified Exalted sound great. God 3E was a complete mess.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

MonsieurChoc posted:

3E is still going, and honestly, I still think it's a broadly good system (especially in Vance's hands). It's crunchy as hell, no doubt, but the basic mechanics for combat and social influence are good. Charm bloat is just, well, that's what the fans wanted and they really were in the business of giving us the bad mechanics we think we wanted.

Crafting is fine in concept but Solar crafting charms are a mess; 'overly specific Solar charm tree eats miles of pagecount' is really the cardinal sin of the book.

Character creation is frankly retrograde and the ST's guide is going to have Vance's 'fixed' character creation rules, but it's easy enough to houserule by just giving players more dots to start in each category and no bonus points to move around (especially since XP is flat costs now iirc).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Look, say what you will about 2E, but having generic 3-4 dice charms is better than having a bajillion that just give slightly different bonuses. I do not care at all about having a charm that adds 2 dices and one that lowers the Target Number (also don't play with Target Numebrs did you learn nothing!?)

I'm sure the basic systems work, but the entire charm sets need to be scrapped and replaced.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Exalted Essence is reportedly going to still be 3E-compatible, just changing how some subsystems work and going for a more universal set of Charms that are easier to deal with. Having worked with the people who are doing the dev work for it (it's not Vance and Minton, it's Neall Price and Monica Speca taking lead, with Dixie Cochran coordinating between the two teams), I am looking forward to it. Neall and Monica do some great work on Scion and I've really loved working with them.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

MonsieurChoc posted:

Look, say what you will about 2E, but having generic 3-4 dice charms is better than having a bajillion that just give slightly different bonuses. I do not care at all about having a charm that adds 2 dices and one that lowers the Target Number (also don't play with Target Numebrs did you learn nothing!?)

I'm sure the basic systems work, but the entire charm sets need to be scrapped and replaced.

Oh sure, but since the games I most want to run and play in are all Dragon-Blooded at this point in time, I don't really care as much that the Solar charmset is bloated. The core systems and many of the charms are good, and the new dev splatbooks have been fantastic in flavor and fun in mechanics. The Dragon-Blooded charmset in particular is a combination of interesting limits and exciting possibilities. I'm pretty hype for that.

Lunars grabbed me less but have gotten a lot of love on this forum.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Exalted Essence is reportedly going to still be 3E-compatible, just changing how some subsystems work and going for a more universal set of Charms that are easier to deal with. Having worked with the people who are doing the dev work for it (it's not Vance and Minton, it's Neall Price and Monica Speca taking lead, with Dixie Cochran coordinating between the two teams), I am looking forward to it. Neall and Monica do some great work on Scion and I've really loved working with them.

I'm moderately hype, which I haven't been for anythign Exalted in years.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Coteries of New York is out. What happened to my pal Calebros?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
The God Machine is breaking guys

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1204883557421854722?s=20

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Joe Slowboat posted:

The new simplified book is a one-off, not a replacement for the Core, as I understand it. So it won't change the production rate of splatbooks.
They said that about God-Machine Chronicle or Blood & Smoke: the Strix Chronicle, until they got permission to reframe those as new editions.

And if Essence and 3E are mutually intelligible that makes it easier to do an edition update without disrupting the splatbook production rate, since anything you make for 3E can be used with Essence.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MonsieurChoc posted:

Did 3E still end up going with that hosed up sex stuff noted here:

https://www.somethingawful.com/dungeons-and-dragons/burn-down-whitewolf/1/

A few people on the Onyx Path Forums have been talking about what "upgraded" or Tier III Talents might look like and have suggested using Exalted charms/etc to go for a "wu-shu" effect. But I don't want to do something that involves rape ghosts, rape bondage, etc. Really, I'd just as soon ditch the idea of rape having any kind of role in my "You're playing folks like in Leverage or John Wick" game.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 12, 2019

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Everyone posted:

I don't know: I didn't buy it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Discarding Exalted's traditional crunchy approach in favor of a totally different game would result in an angry schism comparable to Mage Revised or V5.

Like, if you think "let's drop this and go for something simpler" is something universally desired, well.

Spector29
Nov 28, 2016

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's got 7/7 positive reviews on Steam right now, which I don't think rear end-Eater Chronicles managed. That's a bar low enough for mice to trip over though, so no idea about the actual quality.

I'll probably pick it up and read through it with my partner who is somehow convinced V5 is the best Vampire game ever put to paper. Don't know which edition's lore it's leaning on, but different perspectives and tastes would be fun.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Everyone posted:

A few people on the Onyx Path Forums have been talking about what "upgraded" or Tier III Talents might look like and have suggested using Exalted charms/etc to go for a "wu-shu" effect. But I don't want to do something that involves rape ghosts, rape bondage, etc. Really, I'd just as soon ditch the idea of rape having any kind of role in my "You're playing folks like in Leverage or John Wick" game.

Abyssals aren't even started being written yet and the dudes who wrote that haven't written for the line in quite some time. So no. The new devs have been quite good about not being weird and sexual.

However Solars do have some sex charms because...well, Solars were written by those dudes.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I only remember one Solar sex charm and it’s literally just ‘you’re super good at sex, and when you do sex, your partner or partners get extreme physical pleasure.’ I think the only mechanical element is that if you want partners to think of you as an amazing lover, you get a bonus to establishing that relationship.

It’s not particularly impressive as a charm, though if you specifically want to play Creation’s Greatest Lover it’s going to pull its weight. It’s not particularly creepy, even if it is kinda superfluous.

If you object to the existence of any sex charms at all on principle, I suppose it crosses that line. But compared to how people talk about it sometimes it’s really not a big deal. I’m much more annoyed at the entire tree of Socialize charms that both screw with your exp total bizarrely, and are specifically for playing an incredibly limited character concept as a master of disguise who loses track of their original identity because their disguise even convinces them.

E: the edition also has, explicitly, the rule that while characters can be coerced in social situations with the social influence mechanics, they cannot be seduced with them unless the player of the character is ok with that. This is separate from any X-card type stuff. Morke was absolutely a sex pest by all accounts, but they didn’t put anything like that into the Ex3 core that I’m aware of?

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 12, 2019

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Discarding Exalted's traditional crunchy approach in favor of a totally different game would result in an angry schism comparable to Mage Revised or V5.

Like, if you think "let's drop this and go for something simpler" is something universally desired, well.

Its nice that there's apparently enough demand that there will be both.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Lambo Trillrissian posted:

Strongly agreed.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Lambo Trillrissian posted:

Yeah, and they don't have to interfere with each other.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Please let me know if its any good, im an absolute slut for princess makers like Long Live the Queen and Vlad the Impaler

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

MonsieurChoc posted:

I actually have the opposite takeaway, which is that the insane proliferation of seemingly-redundant Charms is actually totally fine (they're less redundant than they look!) but that the basic systems are pointlessly baroque and inconsistent with each other. Streamlining those systems would necessarily take away a little Charm design space but we can all learn to live with that.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

I actually have the opposite takeaway, which is that the insane proliferation of seemingly-redundant Charms is actually totally fine (they're less redundant than they look!) but that the basic systems are pointlessly baroque and inconsistent with each other.

And I, meanwhile, think both the baroque, overinvolved basic systems and the proliferation of literal hundreds of Charms with fine distinctions are problems that need to be simplified before I'm going to bother committing them to memory.

We'll have to see which ends the Essence developers decide to tackle, and how thoroughly.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

I actually have the opposite takeaway, which is that the insane proliferation of seemingly-redundant Charms is actually totally fine (they're less redundant than they look!) but that the basic systems are pointlessly baroque and inconsistent with each other. Streamlining those systems would necessarily take away a little Charm design space but we can all learn to live with that.

I don't want to spend fifteen minutes every time I take an action to choose which of the many many charms I want to use to slightly modify my dice roll.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

I don't want to spend fifteen minutes every time I take an action to choose which of the many many charms I want to use to slightly modify my dice roll.

That... isn’t really a thing that happens? When are you ever going to have more than three or four?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

That... isn’t really a thing that happens? When are you ever going to have more than three or four?

Do I use the one that adds two dice, the one that lets me re-roll ones, the one that makes it so sixes counts as successes, or maybe a mix of them, or maybe all three, or...

Should just have kept the Excellency system.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I really like the withering/decisive attack distinction, it's a really solid system that allows for a lot of hooks for cool combat powers (make them decisive and they can be much stronger, because you're forgoing direct damage for the effect; make them withering and they're going to be more standard attack enhancers).

I've enjoyed designing Evocations more than I ever enjoyed tinkering with any system in 2e, which was universally prompted by needing to make something less useless or less overpowered.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Rand Brittain posted:

No, they’re basically all gone at this point. Rich Thomas and Eddy Webb are the only ones left, and Eddy only does his creator-owned stuff.

At this point, it’s an open question whether OPP is able to survive the transition now that Paradox is more-or-less openly taking the World of Darkness from them.

(Not that I know what’s going to happen to the World of Darkness license now that Modiphius seems to have decided Vampire isn’t worth the hassle.)

Did I miss a development? I thought Modiphius was working on a player's guide and a starter set and something to do with London?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Everyone posted:

Wasn't the hosed up sex stuff because it was part of the charm set of easily one of the most hosed up Death Lords? Y'know, the titty monster one that lives in a batshit insane turbo-hedonist ghost palace. Like, literally, I think there's 2e artwork of one of her death knights turning into a four story tall literally sanity rending titty monster. Which I assume she taught them because lol what the gently caress.

Regardless, looking back on that fiasco i'm kinda divided on those charms.

That particular Death Lord's entire thing has always been to take the whole "seductive vampire" concept and crank it up past 11 to absurd 44 and above heights. It was even a joke in setting that other Death Lords were all "Whoa, slow your roll there." when it came to her behavior. But what the gently caress does she have going for her power-set wise without them? I mean, poo poo. Her learnable charms cap out at "I can literally recreate that one awful Star Trek episode where Doctor Crusher fucks a ghost.". That's not entirely impressive to begin.

Sex charms were also in 2e as an optional joke book so it's not like there isn't precedent for them. On the other hand, that's not the poo poo you want to put into your early previews as a non-joke if you want people to take it seriously and not think you're some sort of hosed up deviant. And again, they were in 2e as a joke to gently caress with people. It wasn't serious or part of the core themes.

All that being said, being able to say "I unleash my rape ghosts." in the most straight faced manner at an Exalted table would probably not be the most absurd thing to ever happen in someone's game...

Edit: I think my biggest problem when I originally read those charms was that it was clear that Holden and Morke had no loving clue what they were doing without all the other 2e era writers there to direct things and make sure that extraneous/potentially offensive stuff like that didn't take center stage first and foremost. It was basically foreshadowing the problems with 3e that'd happen later on.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 12, 2019