Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Idk if it's out there but what do the subscription numbers look like for WO/F4W?

It seems like even a few years ago they would have made more than enough to pay everyone well. I'd assume they have maybe a few thousand monthly subs at $10 month.

Vinny's unemployment would have been nearly 10 years ago and may have even started pre-merger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

MassRafTer posted:

Vinny's unemployment would have been nearly 10 years ago and may have even started pre-merger.

This sounds right, since the merger is when I began listening to the show and I remember this being a recurring topic.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Seams posted:

Dave saying “he doesn’t really have a Canada” made me laugh

Jerusalem posted:

Bryan: Seth says he doesn't know what went wrong, bu-
Dave: The booking!

This is my absolute favorite aspect of Bryan and Dave

1. Dave obviously being fed something from a source, often doesn’t overtly admit it, and tries to rationalize it because he doesn’t want to poo poo on his friends.

2. Bryan (correctly) shits on it for being bad.

3. Dave eventually admits its bad

There is literally nothing on tv that says Seth is 1997 Brett Hart, but Dave continues to bring it up over the last few weeks. Has to be info from Heyman, right?

Also, I’m warming to MRT’s theory that Dave and HHH are communicating more - the Oney Lorcan thing was extremely pro-HHH for not getting bitter that a guy called him out on social.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Idk if it's out there but what do the subscription numbers look like for WO/F4W?

It seems like even a few years ago they would have made more than enough to pay everyone well. I'd assume they have maybe a few thousand monthly subs at $10 month.

I'm pretty sure Dave and Bryan make 6 figures each. They don't pay their contributors because they don't want to, not because they can't

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

They don't pay their contributors because they don't want to, not because they can't

Dave Szyslak

"You gotta give me back my scoops, my subscribers are going to Bixenspan!"
"Well, next time pay your contributors."
"But I don't want to! Well I would if it was possible, which it is.. Whenyouthinkaboutit uh., when Vince offered the first guaranteed contract.."

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dave Meltzer has ICP money

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

coconono posted:

Dave Meltzer has ICP money
THIS IS super chico TV Show, Im here with good friend Dave, he’s going to steamroll me through a RAW review. Don’t try this at home, I hope you like it. Woop woop!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

jesus WEP posted:

THIS IS super chico TV Show, Im here with good friend Dave, he’s going to steamroll me through a RAW review. Don’t try this at home, I hope you like it. Woop woop!

*mumbles a slur*

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

mkay0 posted:

Also, I’m warming to MRT’s theory that Dave and HHH are communicating more - the Oney Lorcan thing was extremely pro-HHH for not getting bitter that a guy called him out on social.

If there is anything I’ve learned from listening to between the sheets it’s that Herman’s big move is directly reaching out to the wrestling press and setting the agenda for his zone of control, it makes sense for this to be taught to HHH by Herman.

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I'm pretty sure Dave and Bryan make 6 figures each. They don't pay their contributors because they don't want to, not because they can't

These two points seem related somewhat.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i will stand with rapsy voiced guy whose name i do not know when the tides of revolution roll up on wrestling observer dot com

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Karl Stern's shows have been hit and miss lately but his most recent one where he decided to do a watchalong of an old pre-Hogan WCW show and just ends up doing a MST3K bit was a joy to listen to, especially the Flair/Rude segment.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

mkay0 posted:

This is my absolute favorite aspect of Bryan and Dave

1. Dave obviously being fed something from a source, often doesn’t overtly admit it, and tries to rationalize it because he doesn’t want to poo poo on his friends.

2. Bryan (correctly) shits on it for being bad.

3. Dave eventually admits its bad

There is literally nothing on tv that says Seth is 1997 Brett Hart, but Dave continues to bring it up over the last few weeks. Has to be info from Heyman, right?

In the very least Dave got his info on Moxley leaving WWE straight from Hunter and I'm sure they talk regularly. Which is fine, he regularly buries the Performance Center so I don't really think it affects his bias, and Lorcan did want to re-sign so I'm ok with him being pro HHH there. He's always had a really funny critical relationship HHH, in that he will praise and bury things about HHH on a regular basis.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

anyone else legit think Bryan was about to just read out his network password on air

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

MassRafTer posted:

Bryan bothering to tell Dave he needed to step away for 30 seconds instead of just letting Dave ramble was pretty funny.

The best part was that this actually stopped the San Jose Steamroller dead in its tracks. Dave will normally plow through someone interrupting him and continue, but Bryan needing to step away made Dave come to a halt. It was like his fatherly instincts kicked in and he was really concerned if the baby was ok.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

anyone else legit think Bryan was about to just read out his network password on air

Bryan bitching about functionality on a site takes some real balls

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

mkay0 posted:

Bryan bitching about functionality on a site takes some real balls

Their front-end is incredibly antiquated, but it at least works consistently, right? (I only ever use the site for the audio shows so I'm legit asking)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

it annoys me their RSS feeds only go back 100 eps or so

i want to listen to 1996 and 97 retro shows again back when you might hear the phrase “two very good shows”

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

Dango Bango posted:

Their front-end is incredibly antiquated, but it at least works consistently, right? (I only ever use the site for the audio shows so I'm legit asking)

Huge credit card breach issues a few years ago

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

mkay0 posted:

Huge credit card breach issues a few years ago

should be using bitcoins like half the shows on the WOL radio network advocate. also buy some dick pills

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

It's unfortunate to hear about crapgame and Lanza for vow because I like listening to both of their podcasts for their wrestling banter.

...Now I don't know where else to go for my free wrestling banter. f4w?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

TV Zombie posted:

It's unfortunate to hear about crapgame and Lanza for vow because I like listening to both of their podcasts for their wrestling banter.

have you tried twitter dot com

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I want to listen to banter.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

Bad Wrestling Podcast

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TV Zombie posted:

Lanza is desperately trying to impress the wokes lately.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

karmicknight posted:

If there is anything I’ve learned from listening to between the sheets it’s that Herman’s big move is directly reaching out to the wrestling press and setting the agenda for his zone of control, it makes sense for this to be taught to HHH by Herman.
PAUL HERMAN.

But yeah. While there are times we may lean into guessing a given item's sourcing too much, Heyman and Eddie Gilbert-related stuff is NOT over-analyzing that poo poo. The Continental stuff in particular is hilarious: Under the old guard of bookers and (and until late '87, Ron Fuller as promoter, as well) it was an unusually un-leaky territory. Ron just didn't want people knowing his business, his wrestlers respected that, and he even made a point of avoiding the kayfabed magazines. It was so bad that Dave would get stuff *that aired on TV* completely wrong, even though he didn't just have to rely on Alabama or east Tennessee sources for that: Continental was a staple of Joe Pedicino's wrestling block in Atlanta and also aired in the Twin Cities, among some other major out-of-the territory markets. As a result of all this, there was barely a Continental section...until Eddie and Paul come in as booker and assistant booker. Then, when they're gone, it goes back to the old status quo.

Oh, and a week after Eddie and Paul quit/were fired/whatever the hell happened, they were at the UAWF convention (put on by the Wrestling Forum newsletter) in Memphis, where they socialized with all of the newsletter writers and readers. Including Paul explicitly giving Dave scoops on camera (which is not bad or anything, just funny): https://streamable.com/wvbgl

Another great one: The week Eddie takes over as GWF booker, the Torch and Observer coverage are near-identical, with the same points in the same order.

quote:

These two points seem related somewhat.
Dave's been making six figures for a LONG time, maybe since the original subscription boom coming off of the popularity of his column in The National in 1990-1991. He said in 2004 that '97, '98, and '02 were the best years for subscription numbers, and also didn't dispute the assertion that he probably had about 7,000 subscribers while making $1 in profit per issue. More here: http://www.armpit-wrestling.com/pick-my-brain-interview-dave-meltzer/

I'm drawing a blank on it now, but there's absolutely an earlier interview—as in early '90s—where he gave a subscriber count that was already into the thousands. Based on the figures that Steve Beverly would occasionally give for his *own* subscribers in Matwatch, I totally buy that.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I recall a tweet from him that the Observer has never had a year without growth

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That's not old magazines and newspapers we wear him walking through sometimes in his office when he's on Observer Radio, it's all the money Dave is rolling in :clint:

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WYnzQWYySA

the lengths people go through to get famous on the internet

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

tbh if anything was going to get me to sign up for videos it was that. it did not make me sign up for videos, though.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Big Dave posted:

Favorite band: Springsteen.

A man with taste.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Something made me think about Bryan’s rant on Bruce Pritchard and Michael Cole so I found it and relistened, and if it isn’t #1 on the 2019 countdown man I just don’t know

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

oh but seriously I posted:

should be using bitcoins like half the shows on the WOL radio network advocate. also buy some dick pills

F O R
T H E
G O V E R N M E N T

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

Something made me think about Bryan’s rant on Bruce Pritchard and Michael Cole so I found it and relistened, and if it isn’t #1 on the 2019 countdown man I just don’t know

Got a date for this? I don't remember a Pritchard rant.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Dango Bango posted:

Got a date for this? I don't remember a Pritchard rant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX0x73WcAmY

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

jesus WEP posted:

That one’s great but if anything tops spooks the ghost lad it would be almost as bad as “counted out of nowhere” being ranked #44 or whatever last year.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

TelevisedInsanity posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WYnzQWYySA

the lengths people go through to get famous on the internet

Bryan calling it a "California Reaper" gets me every time.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Insertnamehere31 posted:

That one’s great but if anything tops spooks the ghost lad it would be almost as bad as “counted out of nowhere” being ranked #44 or whatever last year.

That only got #44? What the hell, electorate?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

That only got #44? What the hell, electorate?
there’s no electorate it’s just one dude who does it, and he posts on the f4w board so that’s an indicator of his taste and judgement right there

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GoutPatrol posted:

A man with taste.

Was this in today's WOR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

GoutPatrol posted: