Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Infinite Karma posted:

I mean, in the real world "induced demand" is a thing, because people want to go places but they loving can't, so as soon as it's easier to get there, they actually go. When more traffic bandwidth is opened up, more people use it, it doesn't just fill up with imaginary cars that create the traffic. Look at the 73 toll road - there's never traffic, even though people desperately want to get between the places that it leads, because it's too expensive.

You can also blame commercial traffic instead of commuter traffic. People being able to quickly and easily move around is a collective benefit that everyone enjoys. Businesses putting trucks on the street more often/further/for more hours of the day only helps the businesses that are willing to race to the bottom, and is a big source of traffic since those trucks drive differently than passenger cars. Just-in-time logistics are a blight on the world for the way they shift costs on to the public to make inventory easier.

Also this. Toll roads shouldnt exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Infinite Karma posted:

I mean, in the real world "induced demand" is a thing, because people want to go places but they loving can't, so as soon as it's easier to get there, they actually go. When more traffic bandwidth is opened up, more people use it, it doesn't just fill up with imaginary cars that create the traffic. Look at the 73 toll road - there's never traffic, even though people desperately want to get between the places that it leads, because it's too expensive.

I feel like people often overlook this. Certainly mass transit is preferable to people driving places, but I feel like with our lovely relationship to mass transit, it's often just a question of going somewhere vs not going somewhere. I feel like making more trains happen faster is totally out of consumer control, and whenever given the option, we do vote for trains.

Edit, going full blowhard: We shouldn't be punished for our lack of ability to make our politicians build the trains we vote for.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Skyscraper posted:

I feel like people often overlook this. Certainly mass transit is preferable to people driving places, but I feel like with our lovely relationship to mass transit, it's often just a question of going somewhere vs not going somewhere. I feel like making more trains happen faster is totally out of consumer control, and whenever given the option, we do vote for trains.

Edit, going full blowhard: We shouldn't be punished for our lack of ability to make our politicians build the trains we vote for.
Yeah, im game for taking part in a well funded public transport system that actually takes me places

I dont think carpools are a good solution but...CHANGING THEM TO TOLL ROADS WHAT THE gently caress
I dont wanna have to fight a motherfucker on the freeway entrance next to the santa ana zoo again, DONT MAKE ME GAVIN

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Build the loving trains and housing or throw yourself into a volcano, dems

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Infinite Karma posted:

73 is hilarious, it's like the perfect ideal of orange county.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

We gotta start the TIMBY party.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Skyscraper posted:

We gotta start the TIMBY party.
I'm more of a GIMBY fan

Guillotines In My Back Yard

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Infinite Karma posted:

You can also blame commercial traffic instead of commuter traffic. People being able to quickly and easily move around is a collective benefit that everyone enjoys. Businesses putting trucks on the street more often/further/for more hours of the day only helps the businesses that are willing to race to the bottom, and is a big source of traffic since those trucks drive differently than passenger cars. Just-in-time logistics are a blight on the world for the way they shift costs on to the public to make inventory easier.

They gave people chauffeurs to simulate self-driving cars and their vehicle use doubled.

https://jalopnik.com/zombie-miles-and-napa-weekends-how-a-week-with-chauffe-1839648416

Also after a San Fransisco freeway collaped in a big earthquake in the late 80s they decided not to rebuild it and the traffic "disappeared".

The reality is that the amount of asphalt and roads and metal we'd have to make to give everyone a decent low-traffic experience in a personal vehicle is ludicrous. You can blame whoever you want but our society's flirtation with this ideal has been an absolute loving disaster.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Pomp posted:

Build the loving trains and housing or throw yourself into a volcano, dems

Which California volcano do we dislike enough to suffer this fate?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

They gave people chauffeurs to simulate self-driving cars and their vehicle use doubled.

https://jalopnik.com/zombie-miles-and-napa-weekends-how-a-week-with-chauffe-1839648416

Also after a San Fransisco freeway collaped in a big earthquake in the late 80s they decided not to rebuild it and the traffic "disappeared".

The reality is that the amount of asphalt and roads and metal we'd have to make to give everyone a decent low-traffic experience in a personal vehicle is ludicrous. You can blame whoever you want but our society's flirtation with this ideal has been an absolute loving disaster.

Is that somehow a reply to the post you quoted? It seems like the opposite.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

FMguru posted:

I'm more of a GIMBY fan

Hello I am interested in your club

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

FMguru posted:

I'm more of a GIMBY fan

Put 'em in the front yard where we can see them :mad:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
The guillotine is a dangerous device and needs a continuous fence no less than five (5) feet high with a single gate that can be latched and locked, with the latch and lock located at the top of the gate.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

A guillotine is a tool, and as such should be kept at the public library for check-out when needed.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Jaxyon posted:

73 is hilarious, it's like the perfect ideal of orange county.
I used to have an office overlooking part of the 241 toll road in Orange County and there were usually literal tumbleweeds rolling by.

I looked it up recently, and the 73 is set to be a toll road until 2060 or so with their new higher-interest, longer-term bonds (instead of the original plan of 2005-ish). I guess it pays to have guaranteed profits so no matter how you gently caress up your privately-funded project you're guaranteed to make that sweet public money?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I'm still annoyed they did all of that work replace those bridges to widen the 405 and then just added a lane of traffic rather than a dedicated bus lane or a lightrail track

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Glumslinger posted:

a lightrail track
That would be amazingly forward thinking and useful considering the build-out of rail to LAX.

Of course they didn't do that.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

God would I love a trans california rail all the way up to shasta

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Hell yeah me too. Heading up there after Christmas for a week of doing absolutely nothing at all. Gonna pick a friend up at the train station in Dunsmuir at 12:30 AM + delay, which will be fun!

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

God would I love a trans california rail all the way up to shasta

There are people at my local supermarket collecting signatures to defend prop 13...

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

FilthyImp posted:

That would be amazingly forward thinking and useful considering the build-out of rail to LAX.

Of course they didn't do that.

They're planning one and its actually mostly funded, but its going to be likely be a tunnel alongside

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

sincx posted:

The unfortunate truth is that most people consider higher density housing to be inferior in quality, and will pick single-family detached housing if they can afford it. Realistically the choice is freeways or trains, not sprawl or no sprawl.

So build the god damned trains.

Stop building condos and apartments out of wood structures with lovely insulation and you got that fixed.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Celexi posted:

Stop building condos and apartments out of wood structures with lovely insulation and you got that fixed.

Hey man stick builds are earthqualr resistent

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Hey man stick builds are earthqualr resistent
I can't explain why, but I feel like this post is a perfect summary of California.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Admiral Ray posted:

The guillotine is a dangerous device and needs a continuous fence no less than five (5) feet high with a single gate that can be latched and locked, with the latch and lock located at the top of the gate.

Ahem, the gate must be self-closing and self-latching to meet code. Wouldn’t want small children accidentally guillotining themselves!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Admiral Ray posted:

This post came from a place of pain

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Anza Borrego posted:

Ahem, the gate must be self-closing and self-latching to meet code. Wouldn’t want small children accidentally guillotining themselves!

There's also a Guillotine Safety test, a background check, 10 day waiting period, a Guillotine Safe Handling Demonstration, state fees, and Licensed Guillotine dealers charge their own fees. If you decide you need a pocket guillotine then you need to get a Concealed Pocket Guillotine Carry License, and there's a background check, training and fees, and the ease of getting one issued depends on how the locality feels about issuing such licenses to proles.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/echarlie429/status/1205336601020239873

whoopsie doodle

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

"computer 'glitch'"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I already got, and returned, my "you're registered as no party preference, did you want a ballot from the democratic or (that other third party I forget which one), or would you like to register for a party?" card. So if your registration for dem gets wiped out, you'd get one of those, yeah? Note that I'm in contra costa county.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I too pay attention to every piece of unexpected mail that is sent to me in the election season.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
remarkable that radium keeps getting the job to write the voter registration software.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Placer County sent me a card asking to verify my EVIL COMMIE "DEM" permanent absentee voter status and I did and included a note saying "nice try McClintock"

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I discovered yesterday that the owner of my favorite sandwich shop is a tremendous CHUD. Apparently so much so that it turned into a (local) news story.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I discovered yesterday that the owner of my favorite sandwich shop is a tremendous CHUD. Apparently so much so that it turned into a (local) news story.

Please don't be Mr Pickle's

(I don't even like the food much just the mascot)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Admiral Ray posted:

remarkable that radium keeps getting the job to write the voter registration software.

Didn't he legitimately get a job as a programmer for the federal government?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Some PG&E news, Newsome actually did something good, maybe

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-12-13/

PG&E’s future in doubt after Newsom rejects bankruptcy plan

quote:

SACRAMENTO — Gov. Gavin Newsom on Friday rejected Pacific Gas & Electric’s proposal to pull itself out of bankruptcy, saying its reorganization plan falls “woefully short” of requirements set under state law.

The move complicates PG&E’s ability to remain in control of the company in an a bankruptcy process that has seen financial interests vying to take over and local politicians proposing models for an entirely new utility. PG&E triggered the bankruptcy in January citing an estimated $30 billion in financial liabilities from California wildfires sparked by its equipment.

“In my judgment, the amended plan and the restructuring transactions do not result in a reorganized company positioned to provide safe, reliable, and affordable service to its customers, as required by AB 1054,” Newsom wrote in a letter to PG&E. “The state remains focused on meeting the needs of Californians including fair treatment of victims – not on which Wall Street financial interests fund an exit from bankruptcy.”

Newsom’s approval was not required under state law, but PG&E asked the governor to weigh in after reaching a $13.5-billion settlement last week with victims of some of California’s worst wildfires on record.

Hard to say since this is non-binding, but Im kinda surprised he didnt just give in to the hedge funds

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Gavbot has been calibrated to favor votes more than money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody