Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Keyser_Soze posted:

Thanks for you help. That definitely looks like it so I'll try ordering it right from Rocket, not sure why I didn't find it
there instead of using espressotec. :newlol:

Wooohoo, my replacement valve from Rocket showed up from Italy yesterday and it was a bit different but completely compatible and I am back up and running. I will order another one very soon as a spare.

old one on the bottom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

CopperHound posted:

While we are recommending grinders: For home espresso is the Liddo-E my best option without going up an order magnitude in price?

I'm biased because I hate the adjustment ring on the Lido series, but I would check out reviews for the Kinu Phoenix before committing to the ET. I use the M47 daily for espresso and it's much easier to adjust at the expense of being slightly more difficult to grind with. The Phoenix looks to be the same burr set with a lighter body and lower price point.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Keyser_Soze posted:

Wooohoo, my replacement valve from Rocket showed up from Italy yesterday and it was a bit different but completely compatible and I am back up and running. I will order another one very soon as a spare.

old one on the bottom

Wow the new one looks like a much nicer casting.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Does anyone have any experience with the Breville/Sage Precision Brewer? I'm thinking of getting one. People seem to be favourably comparing it with the Moccamaster, but it does cost more here in the UK. James Hoffman seems to like it fine, I think it's his home brewer.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Blue Bottle announced they are getting rid of paper cups in 2020. You have to bring your own mug or buy a reusable cup. I admire the environmentalism but this is going to wreak havoc.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Won’t that just increase waste as people throw away those reusable cups that they keep buying because they forget it at home when they’re at the office?

Maybe they could just use compostable cups. Oh wait, the paper cups are already recyclable so who knows. For a coffee company that ships sacks full of beans from places around the globe, this is an interesting move, but maybe they’re getting a good price on the cups from a factory in China.

To be less glib, wouldn’t it be better to just give customers a discount on bringing their own cup and roll that self imposed cup tax into the price of the coffee? They could even donate excess proceeds to clean up plastic from a waterway or something. Make it a more substantial ‘discount’ to make it clear.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I do'nt think they'll throw away the cups if they are expensive. I can't imagine it being cheaper than 7 or 8 extra bux on top of the drink cost? I think the point is to just get people to bring their own mugs.

quote:

And at Blue Bottle, we’re not afraid to admit that we’re part of the problem. We recently woke up to the fact that our beautiful bioplastic cups and straws were not being composted even though they were 100 percent compostable. Too many ended up in landfills, where they couldn’t break down at all. So we switched to paper straws and sugarcane-paper cups. But that’s still not enough. We still go through on average 15,000 disposable single-use cups per cafe per month in the US alone, which adds up to 12 million cups per year. We want to show our guests and the world that we can eliminate disposable cups as we serve our delicious coffee.

We are proud to announce an experiment that may not work, that may cost us money, and that may make your life a little more complicated.

By the end of 2020, all of our US cafes will be zero waste, which according to Zero Waste International Alliance, means at least 90 percent of our waste is diverted from landfill. To help us go even further, we will test our first zero-single-use-cup program in the San Francisco Bay Area.

This pilot will celebrate reuse as an act of aesthetic delight. You can bring your own cup, or use one of ours. We will provide a beautiful cup that will require a modest deposit, which you can return to the cafe for cleaning. We’ll also sell our whole-bean coffees in bulk instead of single-use bags and our grab-and-go items in reusable containers.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

From what I’ve read they’re thinking the deposit on the reusable cups will be $3-$5, on top of the price of the cup.

I’m interested to see how this goes, I think any move to cut down on to go cups is positive. I work at a cafe kiosk in the lobby of an office building, and convincing people to bring in their own mug instead of taking two or three paper ones every day has been super difficult.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Jhet posted:

Maybe they could just use compostable cups. Oh wait, the paper cups are already recyclable so who knows.
I work with a community scale composting business, so I see paper cups for what they really are, which is a thin layer of plastic with paper for mechanical support. I might have too much personal connection to this topic, but I'm not sure if cups made with compostable plastics are 'net good'.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Maybe they should switch to blue bottles, has anyone made this joke yet

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Do you guys rinse the filter papers you use in drip machines? I just got my first proper machine and it seems kind of a pain to have to boil a kettle in order to rinse it out before sticking the wet filter in the machine’s cone.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I've never thought coffee ever tasted papery, so I haven't no.

Oromo
Jul 29, 2009

Gunder posted:

Do you guys rinse the filter papers you use in drip machines? I just got my first proper machine and it seems kind of a pain to have to boil a kettle in order to rinse it out before sticking the wet filter in the machine’s cone.

I always do but mostly because I'm a huge tryhard. Rinsing them with cold water is usually good enough though.
If you'd rather not bother at least use white paper, since it has usually less paper taste. Metal filters can also be great with the right beans and you don't need to rinse them.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I just tried mushroom coffee and let me tell you, its is not great. It is trying so hard to be sumatran coffee and its mostly just cardboardy brown liquid

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I‘m about to take a dive off the deep end of espresso and wanna know if the Rancio Silva will serve a party of 10 or more in a pinch? I’ll probably use it for 2 - 4 shots daily at most but the vendor website says if you wanna make more than 10/day you should get something else.

Also is the Eureka Mignon Silenzia worth it or is the base model silent enough already?

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Zwille posted:

I‘m about to take a dive off the deep end of espresso and wanna know if the Rancio Silva will serve a party of 10 or more in a pinch? I’ll probably use it for 2 - 4 shots daily at most but the vendor website says if you wanna make more than 10/day you should get something else.

Also is the Eureka Mignon Silenzia worth it or is the base model silent enough already?

I feel like you could bang out 10 shots fairly quickly, but you'd get bogged down if they want any steamed milk drinks.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Yeah, if you’re just talking espresso shots, it’d do ok, but if you’re talking lattes it will not be up to the task at all.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Ahhh so that’s what they meant. Thanks a bunch, I’ll improvise that part then.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

If you're only occasionally going to be making 10 lattes at a time, and the Silvia is otherwise the right machine for you, you could always just pick up one of those milk frothing jugs along with it. They're fairly cheap and push-button simple.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Yeah the Silvia gets way hot when steaming, so it takes a while for it to come back down to espresso brewing temp.

If you could make the milk elsewhere and just bang out the espressos on the Silvia, I'd say it's doable.

That being said, look what your budget gets you on the used market. Coming from a single boiler to an HX was night and day.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Spiggy posted:

I'm biased because I hate the adjustment ring on the Lido series, but I would check out reviews for the Kinu Phoenix before committing to the ET. I use the M47 daily for espresso and it's much easier to adjust at the expense of being slightly more difficult to grind with. The Phoenix looks to be the same burr set with a lighter body and lower price point.
I took your advice and got the phoenix, now I feel like my old grinder wasn't much better than trying to smash coffee beans between two rocks.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

So I bought my first bag of real coffee from a local specialty shop. I got some of this stuff and it's a little sour tasting in my drip machine. It tastes alright at first, but as it cools it really starts to be pretty sour. I've heard that I could try adjusting my grind size a little finer, or brewing it for longer, but I'm wondering if it's just the coffee itself? Does anyone have any ideas?

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Gunder posted:

So I bought my first bag of real coffee from a local specialty shop. I got some of this stuff and it's a little sour tasting in my drip machine. It tastes alright at first, but as it cools it really starts to be pretty sour. I've heard that I could try adjusting my grind size a little finer, or brewing it for longer, but I'm wondering if it's just the coffee itself? Does anyone have any ideas?

https://baristahustle.com/blog/the-coffee-compass/

I can't find what roast it is but if it's a lighter roast it might benefit from more extraction... Since it's a drip machine I'm assuming you can't raise the temp or brew longer, so yeah, finer grind.

dedian fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 18, 2019

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Gunder posted:

Could also in part be the coffee itself. The description of that bean mentions acidity up front which could be what you’re experiencing. Some of the natural acidity plus under extraction could definitely lead to it being sour.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Bought a melodrip I don't care what y'all say. I'll report back once I get it!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Got a Moccamaster for Christmas and it’s a great little appliance. I would say coffee is better than the other drip machine we had, super easy to use and stylish. Small footprint, too.

We like lighter roasts and it tasted much closer to pour over than our other machine.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I finally have an espresso machine at home and am still in the honeymoon phase. The struggle now is to stop myself from downing back to back double shots.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I got a Chemex for Christmas and I'm pretty excited to finally use it properly tomorrow (I've been away from my goose-necked kettle, so I've been improvising with a teapot).

Gunder
May 22, 2003

It’s fun having new stuff! What does the pour over method get you? Something similar to a drip coffee?

I got my first proper grinder, a Baratza Encore. It’s loud as gently caress, but so much nicer than hand-grinding everything with my Porlex.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Pour over is the same as drip coffee. You just have more quality control since 99% of auto drip machines are terrible and don't get the water hot enough.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Mu Zeta posted:

Pour over is the same as drip coffee. You just have more quality control since 99% of auto drip machines are terrible and don't get the water hot enough.

Basically, which is why I never understood the appeal. Clever coffee dripper allows the coffee bloom to occur, which can make a big flavor difference and it's basically a time controlled pour over in terms of difficulty.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

torgeaux posted:

Basically, which is why I never understood the appeal. Clever coffee dripper allows the coffee bloom to occur, which can make a big flavor difference and it's basically a time controlled pour over in terms of difficulty.

There is a reason lots of people like the Clever Dripper - it's consistent! Its highs aren't as high as a V60 but its floor is much higher.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Gunder posted:

It’s fun having new stuff! What does the pour over method get you? Something similar to a drip coffee?

I got my first proper grinder, a Baratza Encore. It’s loud as gently caress, but so much nicer than hand-grinding everything with my Porlex.

I used to jam a hand towel between the lid and the bottom of the cabinet, which muffles the noise quite a bit. I suppose some maniac could make a neoprene sealed lid that would do similar, but I just got to the point of :jerry:.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
I bought hario's new immersion dripper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKrWPqfOGEE

I'm pretty happy with it but being more used to a regular v60 I find myself still using that more, and getting better coffee out of it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I just had multiple paper pourover filters break in as many days, and I'm so mad at them.

It's rare but is there a specific way to avoid the bottom of the filter breaking and ruining everything? Am I pouring the water too angrily?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Does the filter not go in a cone or something? When is it breaking? Are you holding it open under the sink faucet and turning it on full blast?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

silvergoose posted:

I just had multiple paper pourover filters break in as many days, and I'm so mad at them.

It's rare but is there a specific way to avoid the bottom of the filter breaking and ruining everything? Am I pouring the water too angrily?

Uh, what's your method, filter & cone? I've been making pourover pretty much every day for the last like, 15 years and I don't think I've ever had a filter tear on me and I'm a little perplexed as to what could even lead to that under normal circumstances

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

I gently dig into the grounds with a bamboo spoon while they bloom, and I've only managed to tear through the ultra thin Hario filters once in like 3 years ago. I'm super curious how you'd do it otherwise.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I unfold the filter, put it in the ceramic pourover, put the grounds in, slowly pour a bit of water in, wait half a minute, then slowly pour the rest in, and once in a while, the bottom tears and a bunch of grounds go helpfully into the coffee.

:shrug:

For more information, they're...wegmans brand #2 cone filters. I don't have a gooseneck so it's just an electric water heater that I'm pouring out of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
It can be a bad batch of filters. It's going to come in batches if they went thru the machine wrong and got sealed poorly. I can't think of any reason you'd have it happen multiple times.