Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Polling station was busy, but probably about as busy as it was during the indyref and the brexit ref. Had to wait a minute or so.

Voted SNP. Was slightly tempted to vote Labour a few times in the campaign but loving Ian Murray is an absolute dick. He's solidly anti-Brexit but that's the only reason to vote for him. He hates Corbyn and everything about the modern Labour party I like, he hates. He's probably going to keep his seat anyway.

I am worried about the Tories picking up seats in Scotland from the anti-tory vote being split between Labour and the SNP, like they did in 2017. A case where, since the SNP are the leading party, Labour doing well can help the Tories. I hope people are voting wisely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

jimmydalad posted:

Well he argued that when labour was in power it wasn’t like they abolished homeless or anything or something along those lines. I think he was talking about the vitriol in general.

EDIT:

I guess it’s more like I want to know what to say in the future because I’m gathering with family this Christmas who half voted Tories and other half voted Lib Dem and enjoy political conversations. Think of it like self preservation.

There are various forms of homelessness but will just mention rough sleepers as it's what most people think of.

In the 1990s, there was a Rough Sleepers Initiative and then in the 2000s Labour's Homelessness action programme.
Unfortunately I have not found any graphs /data covering this period in time.

However, there is a graph for rough sleepers in England since 2010 (this page: homeless.org.uk/facts/homelessness-in-numbers/rough-sleeping/rough-sleeping-explore-data)
where you can see that it has almost trebled. (Increase from 1.8k in 2010 to 4.7k in 2018)

More data you can explore here: https://public.tableau.com/profile/homeless.link#!/vizhome/RSstatsforweb/RSstats

There will always be a level of rough sleepers for many complex reasons (including mental health). Anecdotally, in the cities now when I visit, I see a level of homelessness which I haven't seen since the early 1990s (tory time). There used to be a place in London called The Bullring - I think the Waterloo Imax is built over it now - and there was a cardboard city under there. I remember taking a friend of mine down there one night - he had expressed disbelief that it was a real thing - he was gobsmacked.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 12, 2019

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

HJB posted:

a prog rock album away

but you want one of the good ones now

does Thick as a Brick qualify? (It is way too loving long)

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/frankieboyle/status/1205218636136374273

:allears:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm off to the pub, might post here and there but won't be reading the thread. See you on the other side, everyone.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Rarity posted:

JEREMY TAKE MY ENERGY ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/frankieboyle/status/1205218636136374273?s=20

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Are there any good livestreams?
Ideally those who'll offer the most amount of irate hilarity and saltiness, either way this turns out

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rarity posted:

I'm off to the pub, might post here and there but won't be reading the thread. See you on the other side, everyone.

Be safe Rarity.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Did a democracy, good news it was far busier than last time, bad news it seemed to be mostly olds.

Gavrilo Princip
Feb 4, 2007

Probably one of my greatest regrets in life, and I have very few of them, is that I've been unemployed and completely out of cash for the last few months and unable to do anything other than the bare minimum for this election. I'd love to be out there in my lovely little Corsa, doorstepping or hauling people to the polling place.

However, now that I have a job, I'm going to be bunging a big bolus of cash Labour's way the second I get my first paycheck. I just hope it's to shore up a depleted warchest and not to have to fight another election.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I'm going to get steaming in spoons then probably get home for 12/1 to watch the flurry of results, zero point sitting alone between that and the exit poll

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Managed to convince the missus and her sister to vote labour at the final hour. They were both gonna vote lib dem

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sanford posted:

216 leaflets in just under two hours. Seems I can still move fast if I need to. Not sure how short handed they are but they were delighted when I said I didn’t mind going on my own round the village where I used to live. Saw half a dozen labour posters and no others, and spoke to one guy who said he’d already voted brexit party. We still managed to bond over a mutual hatred of the tories and I resisted pointing out he’s a thick oval office. Some observations:

1) dogs are terrifying when you’re putting something through the door
2) letterboxes were designed by the very devil himself
3) my fingers really hurt

Take a long ruler next time to push leaflets through with.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Well, I voted. Came close to Labour, big fan of Corbyn. A friend was abused by the son of a Scottish Labour grandee, and the party and her family were both involved in covering it up, so I felt I couldn't in the end. Hopefully by next time around all those people will be dead/retired and Scottish Labour will have changed it's tune. Hoping Corbyn nails it elsewhere.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
Did a 14-hour shift GingOTV. Now I’m going to bed and will wake up in a new world.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

caps on caps on caps posted:

Are there any good livestreams?
Ideally those who'll offer the most amount of irate hilarity and saltiness, either way this turns out

Bercow is on Sky

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
+1 for Labour in Sheffield Central. Polling station wasn't busy but I got there a bit before 4 so not optimal time for a lot of people I guess/hope.

Only people in my (non-Norfolk) family/friends who didn't vote Labour were my parents who I'm pretty sure went lib dem, but in a deeply safe Tory seat. Family in Norfolk are a lost cause

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

learnincurve posted:

Bercow is on Sky

Ash Sarkar and Owen Jones are on ITV tonight apparently

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Are sky news good now they aren't murdoch owned any more? Got to admit, them having Bercow on, and the BBC having Laura K, makes me want to go with Sky

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Don't care if this has been posted it's worth posting again :3:

https://twitter.com/TommyCorbyn/status/1205201914666860545?s=19

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

marktheando posted:

Are sky news good now they aren't murdoch owned any more? Got to admit, them having Bercow on, and the BBC having Laura K, makes me want to go with Sky

They've generally been OK.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

biglads posted:

Ash Sarkar and Owen Jones are on ITV tonight apparently

Well poo poo now I don't know what to watch, except not the BBC

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Ikwaylx posted:

God I haven't been this anxious since I used to have exams and waiting for results. I swear to god this feeling is the pits.

I wish I could say I've been doing a lot to help campaign for a labour victory, but other than talking to friends and trying to get them away from spoiling their ballot and reassuring apathetic labour voters I haven't really been involved, talking politics fills me with horrible anxiety because how many people who I respected and regard as close friends or family would vote for a party who have caused 130000 preventable deaths? It genuinely scares me, and is something I want to eventually come to terms with.

I've been going to therapy and taking medicines for anxiety and depression, and now I'm in a career I want to be in as well. I've gone from lurking and never posting here to posting semi-regularly, and slowly but surely making me more confident in expressing my political views.

No matter what happens, all of you canvassers are heroes. You're inspiring. Thank you for doing your part to make this country a better place for all of us. Now let's ratfuck Boris once and for all.

This is so me, especially the bit about the thread gradually giving me the confidence to express my political views. I've been leafleting, but my family don't talk politics and make me feel terribly uncouth when I try. Anyway I voted Labour and so did my wife. And my mum, a first for her. My brother is a hedge fund lawyer so I count it a victory that he voted Green.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Sanford posted:

Literally just put on Joe’s Garage by Frank Zappa and I’m going to listen to all of it including all the incredibly weird and bad bits, and then it’ll be exit poll time.

Are you telling me
I should come out of the fridge now, Mr. Boris?
No, my son!
You must go into The Fridge!
What?
And you will have
Eh?
Hey! A lot of votes!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Whats' the best channel to watch the exit poll and anlysis and poo poo

BBC 1?

Sky News?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Take a long ruler next time to push leaflets through with.

That is fine advice I wish I had asked for earlier. Next time!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

ShadowSpectre posted:

just wanted to drop into the thread: my illiterate in english, illiterate in bengali except for spoken gran went up to the person at the polling station today and said “LABOUR? NAMBAR?” and then went and counted down the list til she got to them to mark it down

Good for gran :)
Just hope the person told her the right number!

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I've cast my Labour vote now, so it's all over bar the screaming. I wish I'd been able to help out with the actual campaigning rather than just donating, but depression is a fucker. :( No-one at my polling station, but a) I went over at lunch so not exactly peak time, and b) I'm in a Labour safe seat anyway. God I hope the polls are wrong...

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I just cracked open a bottle of Glendronach to have a wee niff at it before the serious drinking starts at 10.

It smells like victory.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

11 hours in chingford So exhausted I can now see through time to the coming revolution

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
If I get to watch the slow creeping pundit realisation and dread I did on the trump and brexit votes but in my favour I'm going to have a great night.

Please polls, you've been wrong the last bunch of times don't be right now!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’ve stolen my daughter’s Xbox one so I can drink wine in bed so now will be watching Sky through lack of choice.

But more importantly initial reports are saying that the Lib Dem vote has collapsed in Boris’ constituency as all the melts are voting labour out of spite.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Vlex posted:

Don't care if this has been posted it's worth posting again :3:

https://twitter.com/TommyCorbyn/status/1205201914666860545?s=19

Johnson's children will be making a twitter post any ... second ... now?

Sky News has never been particularly bad, even in the Murdoch era. Boulton is a right-wing twat, but that's all him.

I'm trying to remember what my life was like before frantically refreshing this thread every 20 minutes for the past month. I think I ... used to play guitar? I'll go do that for the next hour until PraxisCast starts.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Apraxin posted:

People have already said what time it comes out, but there’s no exit polls in the UK. There’s one poll for the entire country that all the major broadcasters collaborate on and release together.

No sites with updated vote counts from each district like in the US either: you get the exit poll, then each constituency publicly announces the results when they’ve counted 100% of the votes. That’s it.

I read today somewhere the BBC are going to experiment tonight with constituency based exit polls.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RockyB posted:

I mean statistically they've probably posted a lot more than corbyn but most of them wouldn't know about it :v:

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
I was absolutely convinced London was +5 hours from where I am but it turns out it’s just +3. What the hell i want exit polls nowwww

Good luck!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

RockyB posted:

They probably have, but like gently caress does he know who they are

gently caress SAKE OWL

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

ThomasPaine posted:

If I get to watch the slow creeping pundit realisation and dread I did on the trump and brexit votes but in my favour I'm going to have a great night.

Please polls, you've been wrong the last bunch of times don't be right now!
Not emptyquoting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

RockyB posted:

"I have never met this guy..."