Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

GulagDolls posted:

who was the pet island mod who carried around a hammer to fend off attacking stray dogs or something, by cracking them in the skull, and talked about it like this was a regular occurrence in their life?

This sounds like Fluffy Bunnies, but I'm not completely sure? Old-school Pet Island was wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I seem to recall that Helldump had actual consequences (e.g. getting banned), but only if you chose to participate; if someone created a thread to clown on you and you refused to post in it, nothing official would happen (although obviously anyone can buy an avatar). But of course the average dipshit wouldn't be able to resist getting into a slapfight and would frequently write themselves into a hole in no time.

But maybe I remember wrong, or otherwise misunderstood at the time.

People who participated in Helldump could be voted to he banned. One per week.

Helldump was a lot like FYAD. They claimed to be the voice of morality, but eventually just started hating people for being different. Like, being a woman.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Antivehicular posted:

This sounds like Fluffy Bunnies, but I'm not completely sure? Old-school Pet Island was wild.

I remember lurking PI a little after registering and being very unsettled by a vibe I got that if a dog is from a puppy mill it's an abomination undeserving of a good home and a person is a monster for even adopting one. I was like 18 then so I may have misread folks but that impression was real strong.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

Araenna posted:

I don't know that I ever interacted with Raenir before but he keeps arguing in TGRS about how video games are art and not products while I'm trying to talk about accessibility in video games while getting upset because easy modes would ruin the pacing and gently caress with the artist's vision or some poo poo. It's loving bizarre.

Yeah, he was being a jackass. I tried to give am example of why games that don't let disabled people play are bad and stupid and he used my example as am example why not letting people play was a GOOD thing.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You have to go for really specific stuff and be willing to accept that any subreddit you find will go to poo poo eventually just because of how the site works.

r/hotwheels is fantastic because its just people posting pictures of hot wheels and being like LOOK WHAT I FOUND FOR MY COLLECTION and other people saying "oh cool good find enjoy!"

its the most wholesome poo poo ever

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

lifg posted:

People who participated in Helldump could be voted to he banned. One per week.

That was it, thanks!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Cartoon Violence posted:

Yeah, he was being a jackass. I tried to give am example of why games that don't let disabled people play are bad and stupid and he used my example as am example why not letting people play was a GOOD thing.

Verging on derailing but I always just point back to this article about the difference between "accessibilty" and "difficulty"

quote:

(Though, I must say - I'm a bit disappointed From Software didn't go the whole hog and decline to compromise on their creative vision by translating the game, effectively creating an "easy mode" for English-speakers. Couldn't they just have left the game in the original Japanese and told would-be players to "git gud" enough to understand it? I'm sure those aggressively defending From Software's creative freedom against imagined philistine hordes would have fully supported this decision and studiously hit those language books.)

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
goons are amazing

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Death Ray is now searching for mentions of his comic on Twitter and replying to them with Simpsons memes. I know this because it just happened to me.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

GulagDolls posted:

it was twisty

Well I'm glad I remembered correctly because that was part of what made it funny. I think they asked questions like "do you eat the chickens" and "what do you do if one of them dies naturally like from old age do you eat those ones" which from an outside perspective seems like a fairly reasonable question but from a chicken haver perspective could be seen as trolling.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

zakharov posted:

Death Ray is now searching for mentions of his comic on Twitter and replying to them with Simpsons memes. I know this because it just happened to me.

Which one, Clarissa or Edgy Charlie Brown? I've got a Bloody Mary-style curiosity now and i want to try it.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Weapon Brown

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
if you're going to bait Death Ray into coming to your place and give him attention at the very least set a trap like making GBS threads some place where he's going to step without looking

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Dumb Lowtax posted:

goons are amazing

:aaa:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hemingway To Go! posted:

if you're going to bait Death Ray into coming to your place and give him attention at the very least set a trap like making GBS threads some place where he's going to step without looking

Flaming bags of dog poo poo are a classic

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hemingway To Go! posted:

work is slow today ok

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Last girl after reading your posts in here and QQCS I think you are cool

and you would be a good mod

BUT

being a mod is a terrible punishment so I don't want you to be a mod

does that make sense?

(also, cum town is bad)

of course lol, I never said I wanted to be one. A lot of C-SPAM posters rally around it because I used to be IQ twice. I am open to the idea down the road when things have cooled off completely because everything is just absolutely insane but it's not something I covet. I just want C-SPAM to be a funny space for people to enjoy without being weird misogynists or crazy revolutionaries talking about direct action that would be frowned upon for a SS visit, and i think the increased IK/Qs there is a good stopgap but they still want mods that are representative of what the community is nowadays because the current ones were from the halcyon days of a temporary subforum specifically for the 2016 election and not, as Smythe puts it, an ostensibly "fyad-lite" shitposting politics subforum.

That's why there were a lot of QCS threads over it because there's just a little friction with particular mods, (one wants to use slurs and is generally antagonistic/disdainful and sometimes are absent for some stretches of time) save for one really great one who does thankless work because they're very quiet and levelheaded and mostly are in the background. Since C-SPAM is good at self-policing, they just want oversight and more tools to help the community so that people aren't running into QCS, with tears and snot streaking down their face screaming about how genocide denial is a thing there (it is not, and its complicated and dumb about how that happened because it wasn't even a C-SPAM poster that did it, it was an admin that was railroaded out of C-SPAM at one point in its early days, wonder why~) :)

my fav :kiddo: :h:

As for the praxis thing, its literally just a turn of phrase for certain things in C-SPAM, but most of the time its just celebrating the mockery of this amazing tweet. That's all lol, yep~ Nothing esoteric or nth level irony about it to be pretentious and brag about how you just don't get are culture :smuggo:, we're just being goofy and having fun with it. It's just good praxis innit?

EmmyOk posted:

people from cspam r incapable of saying straightforward things wo using the words modality, calculus, praxis, toolkit, etc.

its true :o: we're just catchphrase: the forum

we also say stupid things like "ptolemaic" as in "what you're saying right now? ya its extremely ptolemaic and we need you to take it from a 11 to a 2 thank u appreciate it~"

"smoothbrained", "piss tape is real", "Low prices to you on this wonderful day!", "snart helg" "unreasonable helgefølelse", "imagine the smell", a bunch of stupid trumpisms we like to mock relentlessly, and variations of "gently caress pepsi" "you are a simple pepsi brother" "baby flavored pepsi"

Lastgirl has a new favorite as of 22:10 on Dec 12, 2019

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

GulagDolls posted:

who was the pet island mod who carried around a hammer to fend off attacking stray dogs or something, by cracking them in the skull, and talked about it like this was a regular occurrence in their life?

lmfao what the gently caress

e: ahhh lol what the gently caress https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3352789&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post382666921

fun hater has a new favorite as of 22:04 on Dec 12, 2019

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Oh Snapple! posted:

I remember lurking PI a little after registering and being very unsettled by a vibe I got that if a dog is from a puppy mill it's an abomination undeserving of a good home and a person is a monster for even adopting one. I was like 18 then so I may have misread folks but that impression was real strong.

It's more that if you get a puppy mill dog you're financially enabling them to continue running.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
posting on something awful at work is *~praaaaaaxisssss~*

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Shifty Nipples posted:

Well I'm glad I remembered correctly because that was part of what made it funny. I think they asked questions like "do you eat the chickens" and "what do you do if one of them dies naturally like from old age do you eat those ones" which from an outside perspective seems like a fairly reasonable question but from a chicken haver perspective could be seen as trolling.

It was obvious what Twisty was doing, and why, and it was incredibly tedious.

If you went into AI and started asking what the spinny black things were called, what makes them spin, what are those pedals on the ground for, what's that big wheel thingy inside do the AI folks would probably get annoyed at you.

I think pretending to be naive is a rather boring troll, but I guess the rest of SA really ate it up.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lastgirl posted:

of course lol, I never said I wanted to be one. A lot of C-SPAM posters rally around it because I used to be IQ twice. I am open to the idea down the road when things have cooled off completely because everything is just absolutely insane but it's not something I covet. I just want C-SPAM to be a funny space for people to enjoy without being weird misogynists or crazy revolutionaries talking about direct action that would be frowned upon for a SS visit, and i think the increased IK/Qs there is a good stopgap but they still want mods that are representative of what the community is nowadays because the current ones were from the halcyon days of a temporary subforum specifically for the 2016 election and not, as Smythe puts it, an ostensibly "fyad-lite" shitposting politics subforum.

That's why there were a lot of QCS threads over it because there's just a little friction with particular mods, (one wants to use slurs and is generally antagonistic/disdainful and sometimes are absent for some stretches of time) save for one really great one who does thankless work because they're very quiet and levelheaded and mostly are in the background. Since C-SPAM is good at self-policing, they just want oversight and more tools to help the community so that people aren't running into QCS, with tears and snot streaking down their face screaming about how genocide denial is a thing there (it is not, and its complicated and dumb about how that happened because it wasn't even a C-SPAM poster that did it, it was an admin that was railroaded out of C-SPAM at one point in its early days, wonder why~) :)

my fav :kiddo: :h:

As for the praxis thing, its literally just a turn of phrase for certain things in C-SPAM, but most of the time its just celebrating the mockery of this amazing tweet. That's all lol, yep~ Nothing esoteric or nth level irony about it to be pretentious and brag about how you just don't get are culture :smuggo:, we're just being goofy and having fun with it. It's just good praxis innit?

lightning knight is a great mod and a good enough person that when i came back from the last purge and didnt have plat yet bc im cheap they told me to just dm them on twitter and they'd take care of poo poo and that has worked well, god bless them, for letting some weirdo shout at them

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Heading to the bathroom then returning to my desk 39 seconds later for my phone before disappearing for another ten

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

zakharov posted:

i had a fun encounter with him on twitter the other day where he namesearched himself, found I was talking about him and i rubbished his comics for a while and asked my followers to report his racist poo poo, and then he blocked me for making GBS threads up "his" forum.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

he's just as lovely and unpopular there as he is here so at least he's consistent

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Boss makes a dollar
I make a dime
That’s why I shitpost
On company time

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Someone should tweet that Weapon Brown is now a trans icon at him.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The MUMPSorceress posted:

It's more that if you get a puppy mill dog you're financially enabling them to continue running.
That makes sense for buying them, but the poster was talking about adopting them which would presumably not be giving any profits to the mill.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Dare I ask what "Cum Town" is?

comedy podcast popular with what is known as the "dirtbag left"; theres a lot of overlap between them and the more-overtly political podcast "chapo trap house". The wikipedia entry for chapo more or less describes their particular strain of thought accurately

wikipee-pee-doo-doo posted:

Biederman has said the show's intended audience are those seeking alternatives to existing leftist media, which he characterizes as "the dominion of either upper-middle-class smugness when it's even the least bit funny and insufferable self-righteousness when it's even the least bit conscious."[4] Similarly, Christman said that leftist perspectives in media tend toward either the "smug above-it-all snark of The Daily Show or the quaver-voiced earnestness of, like, Chris Hedges or something. Neither of those models offer the visceral thrill of listening to people who actually give a poo poo (as opposed to the wan liberalism of people who are mostly interested in showing how much smarter they are than Republicans)."[4] Menaker has said that their perspective is meant to be in "marked contrast to the utterly humorless and bloodless path that leads many people with liberal or leftist proclivities into the trap of living in constant fear of offending some group that you're not a part of, up to and including the ruling class."[4]

also first time i was exposed to pet island there was a mod (i think) going off the rails about how trying to breed a less "gamey" pitbull would be ruining the breed

Tiler Kiwi has a new favorite as of 22:27 on Dec 12, 2019

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Cum Town isn't that, though, it's more like "What if R. Kelly hosed Pepper Ann" while a guy cackles in the background.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Halloween Jack posted:

Cum Town isn't that, though, it's more like "What if R. Kelly hosed Pepper Ann" while a guy cackles in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arw4KlfxHrs

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ThingOne posted:

Someone should tweet that Weapon Brown is now a trans icon at him.

weapon brown was the inciting incident of this weeks leper colony. illy to death ray to fyad

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

i dont listen to it but i do think there's an overlap with those crowds, to the point i kept thinking they were the same podcast, and explains maybe why a lot of its fans went and charged up the corpse strewn "its just a joke" hill to meet an ignoble demise

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Terrible Opinions posted:

That makes sense for buying them, but the poster was talking about adopting them which would presumably not be giving any profits to the mill.

Yeah I absolutely get the buying part but the impression I got way back when was that it went well beyond that.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Cum town is a show that will do bits ranging from what if Batman characters were gay to twenty minutes spent discussing the McLaughlin group and what if John McLaughlin was constantly trying to gently caress Eleanor Clift

Nick's knowledge of the McLaughlin Group is kinda impressive tbh

It'll also rot your loving brain until every song you hear can have it's lyrics changed to be about gay sex including the NFL theme

Stay away

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
buddy i dont need the internet to help me do that

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

lightning knight is a great mod and a good enough person that when i came back from the last purge and didnt have plat yet bc im cheap they told me to just dm them on twitter and they'd take care of poo poo and that has worked well, god bless them, for letting some weirdo shout at them

Ya im not naming names because im not trying to gossip or make drama, just framing a context as to why there was a slapfight in QCS constantly and the bottomfeeder QCS people weren't helping which is why there were several goddamn QCS threads to get to the bottom of it before this insane for real drama. LK is a good egg and c-spam seems to have warmed up or don't care anymore because earlier because he would probate posts there that were out of context to the culture as a d&d mod so you can see why the QCS threads started cropping up (he wasn't the source of the problem) because it had been unheard of to do that until moderation changed hands. It was literally an unspoken rule about boundaries between the forums before then, and I guess it's now spoken.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Dare I ask what "Cum Town" is?

Also LAB, thank you always for your service. I think you have been a consistently good mod/admin , and I hope your personal crap clears up soon. Ain't nobody got time for all this bs, especially if you celebrate the upcoming holidays and all that accompanying stress.

Three cheers (cheeps?) for Bird.

Cumtown is the FYAD podcast to CSPAMs Chapo Trap House. Ostensibly edgy hard left humour. The merits of the humour are up to the listener to decide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

zakharov posted:

lol it worked