Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

orcane posted:

I'm just glad broken stealth archer is still a thing, so the super repetitive viking tombs don't take as long. It would be nice if you could feel nearly as powerful as a mage, but one build is based on 3x sneak attacks, auto crits and stackable % buffs from potions and on gear, and the other gets... cheaper spells and a handful of traits enhancing them? My only mod affecting combat/traits is SPERG so I'm open to suggestions for a good mage-ing mod.

You can check out the skyrim mod thread for more, but there's a mod called Apocalypse Spells that triples if not more the amount of spells in game. A lot of them are creative and open up a lot of different play styles. The creator also has a trait mod, Ordinator, that I personally like more than SPERG, and an enchantments mod, Wintersun, that adds a ton of new enchants as well. He's got a few others, but those are core imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

Funny, because "there's only ten voices" is kinda how I feel about Skyrim. There are a lot of characters who share a VA. Like the actress who played Ivanova in Babylon 5 voices like ten women.

I mean, repeats happen in every game like this. Half the voices in New Vegas are Yuri Lowenthal and the other half are Liam O'Brien.

But least they tried with Skyrim.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

One of the best things about Skyrim was looking up voice actors and discovering Paarthurnax was voiced by freaking Mario, though.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Commander Keene posted:

One of the best things about Skyrim was looking up voice actors and discovering Paarthurnax was voiced by freaking Mario, though.

Dovakiiiiiiiihn...

...thank you so much for to playing my game!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I doubt Bethesda will gently caress with mods at all for TES VI. Even if their board had become greed incarnate (and I don't believe that's the case) the single player RPGs are a golden goose. You don't gently caress with the golden goose.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sky Shadowing posted:

I doubt Bethesda will gently caress with mods at all for TES VI. Even if their board had become greed incarnate (and I don't believe that's the case) the single player RPGs are a golden goose. You don't gently caress with the golden goose.

Quoting this post to shove it in your face in 4 years

Ps who said tes6 would be exclusively single player

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

First they have Starfield to come out end of 2020 just in time for the new console gen. The next TES is planned to come out 2 years later after that, October 2022

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Pushing paid mods has been their goal for years. They tried it first with that steam partnership thing, and got so much push back they cancelled it, then introduced bethesda.net as optional. I haven't bothered to check, but I assume that FO76, being a "multiplayer" game, is beth.net mods only for the sake of fairness. They're slowly acclimating people to their new paid mod revenue stream. Like someone else said, why assume that TES6 is going to be single player anyways? As for not loving with the golden goose, lol. Welcome to your thread OP, it's about a company named Bethesda, you might not be familiar with them.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Thing is that paid mods are made by modders, and if Beth wants to have a bunch of fans who can actually make mods for TES6 they'll have to keep the game moddable.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

counterfeitsaint posted:

Pushing paid mods has been their goal for years. They tried it first with that steam partnership thing, and got so much push back they cancelled it, then introduced bethesda.net as optional.

It should be noted that the reason this push failed wasn't just because of a pushback against the idea of paying for mods or "premium content". The launch itself was a bungled mess. There were QA issues, there were quality problems in general, there was theft of assets, etc. It was poorly planned and poorly executed.

Off the top of my head, all of these issues were present in flagship mods that were hand-picked to launch the service.

1) The "shadow armor" that only fit standard, male humanoids because they only made one model for it. Would feature extreme clipping on female humanoids, and all argonians/khajit.

2) The fishing mod for which 95% of content was other modders work, just compiled. Essentially, asset theft.

3) Various other weapons/armors that you had no way to acquire other than by direct console command.

All of the above are acceptable in free stuff you download off Nexus (with permission, for case #2). None of it is acceptable in a service you pay money to professional studio for. It was shoddy bullshit and they didn't even attempt to address many of the obvious issues that would arise, like content ownership in collaborative mods. The whole thing was a train wreck. The idea of paying money at all for premium modding work was not outrageous, and not the cause of the enterprise collapsing.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
You forgot

4) Modders trying to paywall their mods that had been freely available for years.

The Creation Club straight banning pre-existing mods from being part of it was a good decision.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

It wasn't even fair for creators, they only saw 50% of any sales that they made off of their mods and only saw payout when they had $100 or more ready to go. Creation Club, for all of its faults, is a much better deal in every way for everyone involved.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

For my part I'm pretty sure Bethesda is trying to make paid mods a thing because modders have been wanting ways to make a living off of modding forever. Bethesda seems to have settled into allowing patreons and such to flourish, and paying modders themselves to create creation club content. Bethesda aren't idiots, they know exactly how valuable the modding community is to them, that it in essence generates free sales for them, and they're just trying to figure out how to keep the modders around and happy. Let's also not forget that while SSE was the release that added creation club it also was the one that pushed to add mods on console.

I would not be surprised if Bethesda takes the multiplayer code from FO76 and adds in co-op for TES VI or some Arena mode, but they've already stated that Starfield and TES VI are both single player focused titles. Not to mention the multiplayer TES niche is already filled by ESO.

Plus it's not like their games as a service mentality is really going that well for them. FO76 infamously hasn't sold many copies. TES Legends was just announced that they're ceasing development on it. And by all my metrics Blades appears to be a bit of a wet fart.

Also, come on, Bethesda is a huge company and infamously has problems with leaks at times. If they made the decision not to support modding or something, it would have leaked by now.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol FO76 flopped? loving how??

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Randaconda posted:

lol FO76 flopped? loving how??

I'm more going off what I remember, but wasn't it put on sale literally a few weeks after release? Has Bethesda ever trumpeted "this game sold 10 million or so copies"?

I mean it's a game where Todd Howard literally got on stage at E3 and said the closest thing you'll ever get from a major developer to "we really hosed this up" for a game they're still trying to sell.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Hadn't heard that Legends was dead. That's a shame, it's not a bad card game overall.

They even went through the effort of switching developers and having them build a 2.0 client.

Fake edit: Haha, so they posted the announcement to the TES:L subreddit but you can't find any announcement on the game's own website, in the Steam newsfeed nor inside the game's own News tab. The official twitter also has no mention of it. Spectacular community management!

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 12, 2019

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

It should be noted that the reason this push failed wasn't just because of a pushback against the idea of paying for mods or "premium content". The launch itself was a bungled mess. There were QA issues, there were quality problems in general, there was theft of assets, etc. It was poorly planned and poorly executed.
I still get chuckle out of remembering that that low-effort, lovely "shadow armor" mod sold better then Arthmoor's house mod (that admittedly was competently made).

Sky Shadowing posted:

Also, come on, Bethesda is a huge company and infamously has problems with leaks at times. If they made the decision not to support modding or something, it would have leaked by now.
More importantly, if Bethesda actually wanted to lock down the custom content environment, then they would need to do massive overhauls to their codebase with regards to how the engine handles plugins and loose files. That's never going to happen. I mean, their DLC doesn't even DRM because they're functionally no different from mods.

I can see Bethesda perhaps not releasing the toolkit publicly, but modding isn't going anywhere.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 12, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

With the console versions of Doom and Doom 2 getting community WAD support, here's hoping that mods come to Skyrim on Switch :f5:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

With the console versions of Doom and Doom 2 getting community WAD support, here's hoping that mods come to Skyrim on Switch :f5:

there is sadly a huge difference between modding Doom and Skyrim

Unless they add Dehacked support or Boom-compatibility or something I wouldn't take it as any indicator of things being possible on Skyrim

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
lest we forget

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Arivia posted:

there is sadly a huge difference between modding Doom and Skyrim

Absolutely. I just mean that maybe Bethesda will see how much of a demand there is for that kind of support.

But more than likely, the Skyrim Update Train has sailed, especially on Switch.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I remember when I played Skyrim people were talking about how Daedra own your soul if you work with them. The typical sell your soul to a demon thing, ya know. That wasn't said anywhere I saw in the game though and looking at comments on r/teslore inquiring about how, if you sell your soul to each Daedric Prince, how can you work for all of them? The answer is simple: you don't sell your soul. That idea is bullshit. Nocturnal demands your soul if you become a Nightingale and Hircine takes you if you are a Companion but just being a Daedric Prince's Champion doesn't mean they own your soul. Serving Namira doesn't forfeit your soul to her.

Reminds me a bit of how people just assumed demons in Dragon Age own your soul if you align with them. No real evidence of that, it's just "common mythology" so people assume it for fiction, too.

I always like playing religious characters in these games so I was thrilled to discover the Cleric mod for Skyrim. There were some other religion mods where you devote yourself to specific deities but this seems way more intriguing and immersive. You can even choose to be a Daedric Champion, I initially thought this was just for goody two shoes Divine worshipers. I'm probably gonna combine Way of the Voice and Daedric Champion since I want to go with a Shout-centric build.

Continuing on with lore talk though, isn't the Dragonborn linked to a Divine or two? Starts with a K? I don't know what the relation is, I just feel like the Dragonborn is "of the Divine" in a way so going and becoming a Daedric Champion is kinda odd.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 15, 2019

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Anytime a daedra asks for their soul I just assume the dragonborn hands out dragon souls like candy

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Daedra do seem to vary a bit on the whole "soul-selling" bit. I'm certain most of them would accept your soul if offered, but they don't always seem to make it a requirement for receiving their boons. Hircine definitely takes your soul if you're a werewolf (which also seems to be the main "boon" he offers), that's a big part of the Companions questline, but Meridia barely even cares if you want to serve her or not. If you refuse to be her Champion at the end of her quest, she just says, "that's fine, here's a cool sword, as long as you're bustin' undead with it, you're spreading my brand."

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Commander Keene posted:

Daedra do seem to vary a bit on the whole "soul-selling" bit. I'm certain most of them would accept your soul if offered, but they don't always seem to make it a requirement for receiving their boons. Hircine definitely takes your soul if you're a werewolf (which also seems to be the main "boon" he offers), that's a big part of the Companions questline, but Meridia barely even cares if you want to serve her or not. If you refuse to be her Champion at the end of her quest, she just says, "that's fine, here's a cool sword, as long as you're bustin' undead with it, you're spreading my brand."

oh god I now imagined Meridia doing dad jokes

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

daedra getting your soul afaik comes from oblivion but its probably earlier than that, basically the god you sign up for is the afterlife you go to

for the aedra worshipping peoples this can have a cultural bent, sovngarde for nords, far shores or whatever for redguards, etc, in general "Aetherius" is the destination (not quite heaven, but not specific like sovngarde or far shores where you have to prove yourself to be worthy)

if you sign up with a prince as a cultist you're basically ride or die for them and your soul gets sent to their oblivion plane

protagonists signing themselves up for every single daedric prince comes up a lot as a what if but its not really clear if just telling say, meridia yeah ill go cleanse your temple and you give me a sword is enough

if anyone gets the last dragonborns soul after skyrim its probably hermaeus mora after dragonborn dlc stuff

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Or Akatosh since you're probably running around with a chunk of his soul.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

On the one hand, yeah, I really like the idea that the Daedric Princes are arguing as your soul just stands there waiting for your fate, then Papa Akatosh kicks in the door, says "This one is mine, assholes, Dragonborn." You and Akatosh high-five on the way back to Aetherius and the Daedra are left livid.

But on the other hand I don't imagine they're that stupid, and know exactly who you are and that's why they all want your soul so badly.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

yeah hermaeus mora had already claimed miraak's soul in their deal so we already have an example of akatosh not doing poo poo

to be fair we can probably count on one hand of the aedra actually doing poo poo cause they're useless

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Berke Negri posted:

yeah hermaeus mora had already claimed miraak's soul in their deal so we already have an example of akatosh not doing poo poo

to be fair we can probably count on one hand of the aedra actually doing poo poo cause they're useless

They're not *my* ancestors, that's for sure

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Punch out a Giant for the Orcfather.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Berke Negri posted:

That mostly comes from the Aedra being the ones stupid enough to listen to Lorkhan (and ended up killing him over it) and pour their essence into creating Mundus, the now-primary plane of reality.

7c Nickel posted:

Punch out a Giant for the Orcfather.

Shoutout to Trinimac for being the one to rip out Lorkhan's heart.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I miss the temple aspect of Daggerfall, and hope it's greatly expanded upon with the Unity version.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslore/comments/dmu5ra/namira_and_vampirism/f55ms0n?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

quote:

Nosferatu - Namira

Nosferatu are hideously disfigured by the Embrace, so they keep to the sewers shadows and traffic in the secrets they collect. Namira is Prince of the "ancient darkness," the patron of all things considered repulsive.

Malkavian - Sheogorath

Malkavian is a clan fractured by madness, each member irrevocably suffering under the yoke of insanity. Sheogorath is infamous Prince of Madness, whose motives are unknowable.

Tremere - Hermaeus Mora

Tremere are vampiric sorcerers that wield the supernatural power of their past as a hermetic house, though they became vampires through treachery and artifice. Hermaeus Mora is the formless Daedric Prince of knowledge and memory, seeks to possess all that is knowable.

Lasombra - Nocturnal

Lasombra are the proud nobles who command the very essence of darkness and shadow — to the point of worshiping it, some say. Nocturnal is the Prince of the night and darkness, the patron of all things secretive.

Assamite - Boethiah

Assamite are silent masters of assassination, killing for hire and collecting blood for rituals to bring them closer to their progenitor. Boethiah is the Prince of deceit, secrecy, conspiracy, treason, and unlawful overthrow of authority.

Gangrel - Hircine

Gangrel are bestial and untamed, often coming to resemble the animals over which they demonstrate mastery. Hircine is the Prince of the hunt, sport, the Great Game, and the Chase.

Toreador - Sanguine

Toreador are cainites that enjoy every sensual pleasure the world has to offer, idolizing physical beauty and the adoration of their thralls. Sanguine is the Prince of hedonism, debauchery, and the further indulgences of one's darker nature.

Brujah - Malacath

Brujah were once philosopher-kings of an ancient civilization, but are now rebels and rogues with a fearsome inclination toward frenzy. Malacath is the Prince whose sphere is the patronage of the spurned and ostracized.

Ravnos - Vaermina

Ravnos are nomads and tricksters who can force the mind to see what isn’t there, though they are slaves to the vices they indulge in. Vaermina is the Prince of dreams and nightmares, a deliverer of evil omens and dark portents.

Ventrue - Clavicus Vile

Ventrue observe the noblesse oblige of vampire society, though their entitlement and greed encourages them to seek ever more at the expense of others. Clavicus Vile is the Prince of deals, pacts, power, bargains, and serenity through wish fulfillment.

I was originally wondering if Vampires would be antithetical to Namira. They are after all immortal, undying creatures and she's all about death and decay. Then out of nowhere it gets into talking old World of Darkness which I love.

I also love crossover stuff like this. I like Namira since I see some Nurgle in her. Just a shame there is no Slaanesh among the Daedra. Sanguine is just the god of eat, drink and make merry, none of what really makes Slaanesh fun.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

JFYI, the next year of ESO updates is going back to 2nd Era Skyrim.

Doesn't matter though because dead game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Scyantific posted:

JFYI, the next year of ESO updates is going back to 2nd Era Skyrim.

Doesn't matter though because dead game.

If the first that happens when you arrive in 2nd Era Skyrim is anything other than a Nord asking "seen any... ELVES" and belly laughing, then what are they even doing.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Berke Negri posted:

daedra getting your soul afaik comes from oblivion but its probably earlier than that, basically the god you sign up for is the afterlife you go to

Easy solution: Never die.

I'm sure that's a Dragonborn power. Right? No?

... Anybody have a spare elder scroll to take us back to 3E Vvardenfell, see if we can get the corprus-immortality trick to work?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

talos died at like 100 or whatever and alessia and reman cyrodiil just lived regularish (by non-mage human TES standards) so yeah LDB probably just goes out unless they are like a atlmer or dunmer

like most TES heroes you character probably fucks off to do bigger and better things out-of-tamriel just to clear the board, or the numidium crushes you like Daggerfall

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Tbf Mora didn't get Miraak's soul, we did. Dragonborn have dragon souls so we absorbed Miraak's soul, just like the rest of the dragons we kill.

If anything Mora keeping Miraak alive for all those millennia might be an indicator that maybe he knew he couldn't get the soul because Akatosh would claim it once he died or something, so he just kept Miraak alive.

Though honestly, I wonder if we're putting too much emphasis on a soul vs a spirit. We know from ESO, where the player character actively doesn't have a soul, that they're still embodied fully by just basically jamming some white soul stuff in there to serve as a temporary replacement.

The soul might go back into the Dreemsleeve or such to be reincarnated while the Self becomes a ghost that goes where it wills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

its been a year + since my last dragonborn dlc run but my impression was miraak made a deal with mora against alduin or rival dragon priests, got trapped, had been in apocrypha since what like mythic/first era? whenever the dragon wars was (so like 5000 years or more), and his whole plot in the dlc was to free himself

i guess you could say was his soul actually held by hermaeus mora or was he just chilling there for thousands of years unable to get out really but seems kind of arbitrary

edit: ESO kind of smooths out the white soul black soul distinction by having a book by vanus galerion saying the black/white soul distinction is a ruse we just push with the mages guild teaching people conjuration to try and downplay necromancy

which is quasi-retcon, but actually puts soul trapping as back before oblivion, where the soul distinction was introduced afaik

basically white souls and black souls are just a social construct

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Dec 16, 2019