Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

When someone gives the OP advice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It's covered because it was done by a third party, the question is whether it would have been covered if done by the policy holder. I'm sure there's some expensive policies that will cover ridiculous negligence like that exhibited by the OP, but I think most normal policies wouldn't cover it.

OP doesn't say they're broke, only cheap, and also admits fault so probably a worthwhile bet to wring out something beyond costs.

Yeah what will most likely happen is if he has no coverage he will have to defend himself or hire an attorney. The subrogation unit will hound him until he settles and pays. They can place liens and take you to collections eventually. He can probably negotiate a lower settlement amount though and make payments.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for telling my bully with terminal cancer that I don't forgive them or feel sympathy for them?

There's this one girl (17F) at school who just got diagnosed with terminal cancer. She would bully me (17M) since I was 13, usually just call me names and make snide remarks. It wasn't constant and relentless bullying but it did make me feel low and inferior.

She stopped at 16 because I finally got my anxiety under control and stood up for myself then embarrassed her. Though she never apologised.

So she got terminal cancer and made some big post on her social media and got lots of attention. When saw me in school she was tearful and apologised for how she treated me.

Honestly, I felt nothing. I said "I don't accept your apology, nor do I offer you my sympathies" and walked away, I could hear her cry even more.

My friends agree with what I did but all her friends gave me poo poo. I try to ignore them when I see them but they just come at me like rabid animals and say stuff that I should say sorry and that I'm an rear end in a top hat. I blocked them on social media. Idk maybe I was too harsh, but if I'm being honest I don't feel sympathy for her. I worked through my resentment with a therapist and honestly, I feel.nothing for her. No hatred, but no sympathy either. When she dies, it will be just another day for me. Maybe this makes.me an AH but I cant help how I feel and I spoke what I felt, just as she did. AITA?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Jesus loving Christ that hosed. "This person was mean to me as a kid, so I will force them to leave this mortal coil filled with regret and sadness." Hell, you don't even have to forgive her! Lie!
Of course Reddit's praising this guy.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
They’re talking about 13-17 year olds so yeah they’re still kids. Sucks that the bully kid has to die but honestly gently caress her

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Jesus loving Christ that hosed. "This person was mean to me as a kid, so I will force them to leave this mortal coil filled with regret and sadness." Hell, you don't even have to forgive her! Lie!
Of course Reddit's praising this guy.

It is not a victim's responsibility to forgive or comfort their tormentor. If she wants absolution she should turn to god or the void.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

therobit posted:

It is not a victim's responsibility to forgive or comfort their tormentor. If she wants absolution she should turn to god or the void.

Yeah and it was like a year ago and they are only 17.

Like 10 years later ok maybe? But literally last year? lol ya right.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Honestly, I felt nothing. I said "I don't accept your apology, nor do I offer you my sympathies"

I worked through my resentment with a therapist and honestly, I feel.nothing for her. No hatred, but no sympathy either.
Keep working because that's not true. If some person who wronged me but I didn't care about came up to me and apologized I'd say something like "Okay then." Explicitly saying you don't forgive them and don't have sympathy is intentionally hurtful and vindictive. Maybe justified, maybe not, but certainly not an action done by someone who is resentment free and simply doesn't care.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

The way I see it, he had two choices: destroy or comfort a dying person. Forgiving or not forgiving her doesn't change her future actions, because she has no future. This doesn't "teach her a lesson". Privately, he can still dislike what she did, but she's a literal child that's dying, and her crime is "make fun of a guy in highschool". If it was serious abuse, or an adult, yeah, I think it's fine to put your foot down about that, but he loses nothing by giving her the kindness she never gave him. If you have two choices, where the results are "hurt someone" or "help someone", and that is literally it, and you choose to hurt someone, I think you're a lovely person.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Eh. I don't think so. He didn't say he was glad she was dying or anything he just doesn't care.

This isn't reddit he doesn't need to be the bigger person.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
AITA for reporting something my coworker did a month ago resulting in his immediate termination?
I work in the cell phone industry so our pay is commission based.

One evening, one of my coworkers had to leave early and the employee I referred to in my title started his sale for him. We'll call him J. While J is completing the sale for employee B, B calls me and says, "Hey, I also wanted to let that customer know about such-and-such-promotion." I relay this information to J, who, in front of the customers, replies, "Uh nah, I'm scheduled to leave in ten minutes, I'm not doing all that." The customers had to speak up and say, "What are you withholding from us?" And he was forced to show them the product.

I walk into the back room while this happens. I guess J, after bitching in front of these customers for the next 10 minutes, finally gets the sale taken over by the manager so he can leave. He's continuing to run his mouth when we pass each other in the doorway between the sales floor and the back room. All I say to him is, "J, it's not like we don't help you all the time, too." He loudly replies, "gently caress OFF."

I keep walking and he follows me back onto the sales floor and proceeds to insult me and the company for a solid two minutes. I and the customers sit in silence as he has his little psychotic break. The manager finally speaks up, "Hey, be professional." J scoffs and walks out, still running his mouth. I ask my manager later that night, "He's not going to actually get away with that, is he?" Manager says, "Of course not."

J "apologized" the next day, blamed in on the job being "so stressful."

Fast forward a month. Nothing has been said or done to J. In the meantime, he's been using all of my coffee and creamer and putting the empty containers back for me to find. He's been taking handfuls of kratom at work and throwing up. He takes Adderall and acts like a crackhead. He tells customers the wrong things about promotions, talks poo poo about customers as soon as they walk out the door to other customers, parties too hard to come into work until 4pm the next day, etc. Every time he fucks up, he floods my manager's phone with "woe is me" texts about how he'll do better and never faces consequences. He also smells really loving bad and the manager is too scared to say anything. Customers complain, that's how bad it is.

I finally complained to a higher-up this morning and they plan to terminate him within the next day. My manager is upset that I went higher up, but I've been coming to him for a month about my issues with this person. When he came into work today, he says, "I hope you're ready to deal with this hornets nest you decided to kick today."

Am I an rear end in a top hat for taking action of my own after waiting a month for it to be resolved on a store level?

Edit: Thanks for making me feel a lot better about this! I'm not worried about my manager retaliating against me. He's actually romantically interested in me and after all this, I've asked the higher ups for a transfer, with or without J being fired.

However J is being terminated this evening. I told higher management that I was not comfortable being there when it happened. When he leaves in less than two hours, he will be walked out, terminated, and never allowed back in the store. They offered to let me leave before it happens. Should I?

He already has my address, though, so I'll be looking over my shoulder for a little bit. 😬

As far as my manager being sub par... Yes. $11k worth of phones went missing last month. He wasn't doing the weekly inventory counts and someone managed to sneak 9 iPhone 11 Pro Max out of the store in the trash. The new guy took the fall for it, but I've always thought it was J for multiple reasons.

Edit 2: They really did it. He's gone. They also kept my name out of the whole thing, telling J that the customers had sent in a formal complaint, leaving them no choice. I was even given a face to face apology from the area manager for it not being taken care of immediately. They also approved my transfer and I can start at the new store on Monday.

Edit 3: For everyone telling me to go to HR: I don't have an HR. We are an independently owned franchise that is an authorized retailer for a giant cell phone carrier. There are maybe like 70 employees? The managers that I went to are the highest up that I can go without going to the owners of the franchise themselves. There's the store manager, area manager, district manager, then the owners.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Man these bullies are really having a hard time with these hurtful words being spoken to them at vulnerable points in their life. If only they had chosen to make different beds, now that they discover that they will in fact be sleeping in them.

As long as this dude was telling the truth about how he felt then he's done nothing wrong. Like if he is actually ok and over it and he said it out of cruelty that's not ok, but if he really isn't ready to forgive them welp. You shouldn't hurt people and if you do they are under no obligation to care about your feelings.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Hiro Protagonist posted:

The way I see it, he had two choices: destroy or comfort a dying person. Forgiving or not forgiving her doesn't change her future actions, because she has no future. This doesn't "teach her a lesson". Privately, he can still dislike what she did, but she's a literal child that's dying, and her crime is "make fun of a guy in highschool". If it was serious abuse, or an adult, yeah, I think it's fine to put your foot down about that, but he loses nothing by giving her the kindness she never gave him. If you have two choices, where the results are "hurt someone" or "help someone", and that is literally it, and you choose to hurt someone, I think you're a lovely person.

She had been doing it as recently as a year ago and only stopped because he stopped being an easy target and she never apologised until now. Why does she deserve forgiveness?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for using a sex coupon on my fiancee?

My fiancee and I had a tradition of having a fun, little, sex themed christmas exchange 2 weeks before Christmas. Yesterday, I got her some flavored lingerie, and she got me a sex coupon book. Today, I redeemed a coupon. I thought a blowjob would be nice, and well, I wanted a blowjob. When I redeemed it, she got so mad.

She said that I was disappointed for using it, and she got it as a gag gift. I honestly thought it was real. She's still mad at me, and said something like "Sex shouldn't be treated like this."

So, AITA?

op asked after they were finished doing dishes.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

"Yeah, he was bleeding out there on the road, but I remembered he called be a buttface when we were twelve, so I looked him in the eye and told him he dies unredeemed."

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hiro Protagonist posted:

"Yeah, he was bleeding out there on the road, but I remembered he called be a buttface when we were twelve, so I looked him in the eye and told him he dies unredeemed."

Yes totally the same thing.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I don’t think that scenario corresponds to the one described in the Reddit post.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for getting upset that the people I picked up from the airport didn’t get me a bagel?

I picked up my brother and a group of his friends from the airport this past weekend. I went out of my way an hour each way to do so. I was happy to do it but it was still a hassle.

I arrived at the crowded airport and went to the terminal. A couple minutes after they said they’d be there. They weren’t there. I waited a few minutes and then called my brother, who didn’t pick up. I called again just as a guy working for the airport waved at me to move on since I wasn’t allowed to park there. I warned my brother I’d have to leave, do a circle, and come back. He said “okay, do a few circles, we’ll be a minute.”

I circled several times, which sucked, until they got there and all piled in the car. I saw they had a big bag full of fresh bagels, so the time they were in the airport was them stopping for food. I was excited because I was hungry. They passed them all out and I didn’t get one. I said in sort of a joking way, “you didn’t get me one? Awww” and a girl laughed like that was ridiculous and said “no.”

I drove them back and mentioned the whole thing to my parents. My dad was mad at me for even mentioning it and being upset, saying that I didn’t have to get up at 3 am like they did and maybe they were stressed out and had more important things on their mind than getting “spoiled” me a bagel. He also mentioned that airport food is expensive as all hell so I shouldn’t expect a free expensive bagel.

AITA for being upset about this? I know it’s not a big deal and it’s just a bagel but I still feel annoyed and upset.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for getting upset that the people I picked up from the airport didn’t get me a bagel?

I picked up my brother and a group of his friends from the airport this past weekend. I went out of my way an hour each way to do so. I was happy to do it but it was still a hassle.

Yeah its kinda a dick move for them not to get the driver anything esp. since it was a free ride.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Greetings from r/legaladvice with a post that, while legal to do, will not not end in bloodshed

quote:

My principal at school has been recruiting students to snitch on others vaping and doing things that are not allowed. He is offering cash prizes to the snitches with highest snitch amounts. Is this legal? (Ontario)
u/-Tinsky-8h
This started last week and he is offering like 400$ to 1st place, 200$ for second place and stuff. I can’t put my finger on it but it just sounds illegal. He is also suspending students based on the word of these snitches. Mabey this isn’t a legal issue but more of a school board policy issue but I’m just curious because it just seems bad to offer 14-18 year old kids money to snitch.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
All those snitches are getting beat up in either Ontario’s

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

lol in ten years we're gonna have asset forfeiture for twelve year olds. get fuckin ready

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Okay, maybe I'm taking things a bit far there, but can someone in this thread explain what he has to gain by not forgiving her? Because in my mind, the issue is that he gained nothing, but she lost everything in that exchange. Sometimes people in this thread seem to treat forgiveness as some magic thing that opens you up to attack from the other person, or lowers your abstract standing in a way that makes no sense to me.

I think directly wanting to prevent people from suffering, even people that are lovely, should be the norm. I'm not "obligated" to thank someone for a kindness, or to help a person whose struggling when I'm perfectly capable of helping, but I think I would be an rear end in a top hat if I didn't.

This girl is dying; she's scared, angry, hurt, and desperately trying to make things right as with the rest of her time and the perspective death has given her. She wants to die having fixed the wrongs she made as a stupid kid. She comes to this guy, in a position far weaker than he ever was; he can live on, fully experience life. And when he's in that position of power over her, as she begs to die with dignity as a changed person, he can't even give her the common courtesy to lie so that her last moments can be peaceful. He doesn't have to, of course. But I can't understand how that doesn't make him an rear end in a top hat. There have been people that have done far worse things to me that she did to him, and I would still forgive them in this scenario, because it costs me nothing.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
He's a kid.

Don't worry, if he grows up at all decent he'll lose sleep over this someday.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

lol in ten years we're gonna have asset forfeiture for twelve year olds. get fuckin ready

Forfeit what, their precious vape pens?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Okay, maybe I'm taking things a bit far there, but can someone in this thread explain what he has to gain by not forgiving her? Because in my mind, the issue is that he gained nothing, but she lost everything in that exchange. Sometimes people in this thread seem to treat forgiveness as some magic thing that opens you up to attack from the other person, or lowers your abstract standing in a way that makes no sense to me.

I think directly wanting to prevent people from suffering, even people that are lovely, should be the norm. I'm not "obligated" to thank someone for a kindness, or to help a person whose struggling when I'm perfectly capable of helping, but I think I would be an rear end in a top hat if I didn't.

This girl is dying; she's scared, angry, hurt, and desperately trying to make things right as with the rest of her time and the perspective death has given her. She wants to die having fixed the wrongs she made as a stupid kid. She comes to this guy, in a position far weaker than he ever was; he can live on, fully experience life. And when he's in that position of power over her, as she begs to die with dignity as a changed person, he can't even give her the common courtesy to lie so that her last moments can be peaceful. He doesn't have to, of course. But I can't understand how that doesn't make him an rear end in a top hat. There have been people that have done far worse things to me that she did to him, and I would still forgive them in this scenario, because it costs me nothing.

ok

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

What if you don’t frame things in terms of gain or loss? I don’t approach every conversation thinking, “how can I come out of this ahead?”

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

a victim is never obligated to forgive a bully

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
She'd been bullying him since they were 13. He has no obligation to give the tiniest, most miniscule gently caress about how she feels, when literally all he's ever known from her has been jackassery.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

She's not asking him to forgive her from a place of reflection and sincerity, she's doing it to win kindness coins so she can go to heaven or something, it's entirely selfish. The kid was right to tell her to gently caress off

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe he'll regret it someday, but the bullying was recent, he's still a kid, and I imagine even after she stopped he kept getting anxious feelings when he saw her around school. I think placing it on him to do all that emotional calculus instantly is a lot to ask for. He wasn't over it and he was honest about that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

bell jar posted:

She's not asking him to forgive her from a place of reflection and sincerity, she's doing it to win kindness coins so she can go to heaven or something, it's entirely selfish. The kid was right to tell her to gently caress off

Like he didn't even really tell her to gently caress off (though he could have). He wasn't even really mean about it.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Hiro Protagonist posted:

She wants to die having fixed the wrongs she made as a stupid kid.

Really? I must have missed that part of the post, how is she attempting to do that

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Hiro Protagonist posted:

shut up Bojack

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
It really is a sad situation she's in because she's so young and she's that ill, but the thing is she's also a bully and traumatized an innocent person for her own amusement. Saying "I'm sorry please forgive me bc I'm dying" doesn't actually do anything to fix that, its another obligation she's pressing on him for her own benefit.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Lotta bitter goons who were bullied in school siding with that rear end in a top hat kid itt.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I don't think many people are siding with her

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

soscannonballs posted:

Lotta bitter goons who were bullied in school siding with that rear end in a top hat kid itt.

Lol

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

bell jar posted:

We don't know her motivation; it's entirely possible being terminal has led to her thinking about her life and how she's wronged people and she legitimately feels bad for what she's done.

I don't think kid should have lied and told her it was all cool though, as it sounds like he's very much not over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

If terminal girl had genuine remorse for her actions for how they impacted bullied guy and wanted to make that right, she'd call off her friends on social media. There's no way she doesn't know about it. I don't mean that she started or encouraged it but she's in a prime position to end it and hasn't.