Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Dooku sounds like dookie 💩

It sure does. It sounds downright "Icky".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I don't think that George Lucas has ever even seen a samurai movie

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

QuarkJets posted:

I don't think that George Lucas has ever even seen a samurai movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9V2T1ONA2I

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gologle posted:

I...don't think he shows up at all in A New Hope? He is of course mentioned, but that's different from being seen.

Oh whoops, yeah. He's never onscreen.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Now hat they're both under the umbrella of Disney, does The Blackhole take place in The same universe as Star Wars?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Don't know about anyone else, but I could totally go for a Mandalorian-esq Vader series. It's 110% fanboy-wankfest, but watching his scheme, hunt jedi and the rebellion would be cool.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Blistex posted:

Don't know about anyone else, but I could totally go for a Mandalorian-esq Vader series. It's 110% fanboy-wankfest, but watching his scheme, hunt jedi and the rebellion would be cool.

Darth Vader should do a horror movie, at the end of Rogue One he's what you'd get if you gave Jason a laser sword and told him that all of the rebel soldiers are horny teens.

You establish a Jedi refugee camp, some nice characters who are trying to rebuild the jedi order the best they can. On a stormy night there's something on the scanner, maybe it's just interference from the bad weather. The next day uh-oh a group of padawans hasn't come back from a morning hunt, and then a couple of knights sent after them are heard making muffled screams over their comms before the comms go dead, and then that night a master is found dead in the middle of camp and oh gently caress what is that shadow *darth vader breathing commences, red light saber ignites* OH gently caress GET TO THE SHUTTLE CRAFT GET TO THE SHUTTLE CRAFT *Vader rips a dude in half using the force, kills remaining characters with a mix of action scenes and 80s slasher movie executions*

And then it's revealed that this is Kashyyk and Vader is just here to meet his husband, Chewbacca, and then they kiss and Vader says "I can't wait to meet your family, happy life day Chewie." Anyway that's my slash fiction thank you for reading

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I'm really looking forward to the end of a convoluted trilogy directed by noted story-ender J.J. Abrams.

Even better, it's written by the amazing screenwriter of Batman v. Superman:
"Terrio believes that while The Force Awakens asks, ‘Who is Rey,’ and, ‘Where does she come from,’ questions that The Last Jedi answered “with a negative in a certain way,” he hopes that The Rise of Skywalker will “take those two ideas and create a third thing.""
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-writer-on-how-the-last-jedi-impacted-reys-parentage-070545536.html

That's interesting. I'm sure it's going to be... Huh?
https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-backlash-is-inevitable-1840318952
"A backlash is inevitable?" “Inevitably there will be a Game of Thrones syndrome to Star Wars because you can’t please everybody all of the time”?

This must be due to the "Star Wars trolls" I've heard so much about...
https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/13/entertainment/star-wars-trolls-trnd/index.html

This is a very promising couple of articles to push out three days before a tentpole movie release. They are definitely not trying to lower expectations here. I'm sure the marketing and film-making geniuses behind this anticipated flick are confident that it's going to satisfy everyone, from young to old!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

DoctorGonzo posted:

the fact i hate most about these loving idiotic movies is how star wars went from the rise and fall of master jedi anakin skywalker to the story about the loving palpatine. i mean what the gently caress

lol

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Got around to watching all the available eps of The Mandalorian and yup it absolutely takes a huge dook on all the other Disney Star Wars poo poo in terms of quality

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Blistex posted:

Bring back Hayden to wear the suit and have him dial up the awkward angst as he whines about being half machine and how his wife and unborn children are dead.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

DoctorGonzo posted:

the fact i hate most about these loving idiotic movies is how star wars went from the rise and fall of master jedi anakin skywalker to the story about the loving palpatine. i mean what the gently caress
the idea of Darth Vader being the central character is fuckin dreadful prequel poo poo anyway. cackling evil wizards have a place in movies outside the OT, unlike Vader.

poisonpill posted:

That's interesting. I'm sure it's going to be... Huh?
https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-backlash-is-inevitable-1840318952
"A backlash is inevitable?" “Inevitably there will be a Game of Thrones syndrome to Star Wars because you can’t please everybody all of the time”?
Game of Thrones syndrome: when everyone with control who should know better shits themselves & fails horribly at their jobs, then acts like it's just one of those OH INTERNET things.

font color sea
Jan 23, 2017

Expelliarmus!
I can appreciate them spending entire 9 movies to tell the subtle and intricate Palpatine's character arc, going from "evil" to "more evil" to ''even more evil"

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
How does anyone who wrote for Batman V Superman still have a job?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Got around to watching all the available eps of The Mandalorian and yup it absolutely takes a huge dook on all the other Disney Star Wars poo poo in terms of quality

spending 12.5 million per episode to produce it has its rewards

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Dean of Swing posted:

How does anyone who wrote for Batman V Superman still have a job?

$873,634,919 Total return. While it wasn't a marvel movie take, it did make 3 times what it cost.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

They got M Night making stuff and getting funded

And he crashed multiple films in a row with no survivors except him somehow

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

font color sea posted:

I can appreciate them spending entire 9 movies to tell the subtle and intricate Palpatine's character arc, going from "evil" to "more evil" to ''even more evil"
palpatine is a decent overall antagonist tbf, being so archetypal and more like the Dark Side manifest than a character with his own journey. even the prequels knew how to use him. i think that's why bringing him back is a relatively easy out from TLJ's mess.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
/\ Did anyone ever find any "proof" that Snoke was supposed to make it to the end of the trilogy and be the main antagonist? Palpatine seems to be a tacked-on hail Mary play to win back fans.

I mentioned it before, but it seems that the writing pool studios use is getting smaller because they get tickets sold. It doesn't matter if the writing is good or not, as long as they play it safe. The fact that the guys who wrote dialogue for the Transformers still get work is proof enough.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 14, 2019

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blistex posted:

/\ Did anyone ever find any "proof" that Snoke was supposed to make it to the end of the trilogy and be the main antagonist?

that would require them to have made some kind of plan. i see no evidence of that

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
The plan was in "the mystery box", but Rian couldn't unlock it since the key is a penis-shaped nose.

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

I hope the neutron star wins the war

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
A series in the style of The Mandalorian but starring Snoke as he keeps getting betrayed by apprentices and does nothing interesting.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Blistex posted:

/\ Did anyone ever find any "proof" that Snoke was supposed to make it to the end of the trilogy and be the main antagonist?

IIRC some people figured out that Snoke's theme in TFA was similar to the music that played in RotS when Palpatine was telling Anakin about Darth Plagiarism or whatever, so that's probably who he was supposed to be. Which would have somehow been even lamer than just bringing Palpatine back.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Blistex posted:

The plan was in "the mystery box", but Rian couldn't unlock it since the key is a penis-shaped nose.

Neelix being part of the Star Wars universe would be just cruel at this point.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Laterite posted:

Neelix being part of the Star Wars universe would be just cruel at this point.

"Neelix and Jar Jar's Bogus Journey", coming 2069.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

KiteAuraan posted:

"Neelix and Jar Jar's Bogus Journey", coming 2069.

Ohno, there's a teleporter accident which causes neelix and jar jar to combine in to the perfect lifeform

janeway kills it

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Mace Windu was the only character to die from falling a great height.

Guess he sucked really bad

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Shinjobi posted:

Mace Windu was the only character to die from falling a great height.

Guess he sucked really bad

He didn't die, he's back in the next one

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Vim Fuego posted:

He didn't die, he's back in the next one

Star wars is such a creative dead end that Yoda and Palpatine are back

and this, uh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxVoZYZQeBU

is real

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
It's like how the EU had even the icecream machine guy get his own story except instead of every single character it's the core dozen or so that sold a lot of toys

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
So I watched some of the Mandalorian and I can say for a fact that with some throwaway lines that it set up more of the state of the galaxy than any of the sequel movies.

Is it ever explained where the stormtroopers come from and who they are?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Insane Totoro posted:

Is it ever explained where the stormtroopers come from and who they are?

I would assume most of them are leftovers who were serving under whatever General or Admiral or Moff decided to be Warlord of their little piece of the pie after it crumbled post-Endor.

Almost every source depicts them as hopelessly indocrinated to the point of brainwashing so when Imperial Territorial Marshal Dipshit McGee says "we will keep the Empire going here in the Ibaar system, the Emperor may be dead but the Empire is eternal" they salute and get back to their post.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Even in Nu-canon the Empire didn't immediately collapse after Endor. I don't know how long it's supposed to be between Endor and Jakku but the Empire is supposed to intact and mostly stable until at least that point.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I would assume most of them are leftovers who were serving under whatever General or Admiral or Moff decided to be Warlord of their little piece of the pie after it crumbled post-Endor.

Almost every source depicts them as hopelessly indocrinated to the point of brainwashing so when Imperial Territorial Marshal Dipshit McGee says "we will keep the Empire going here in the Ibaar system, the Emperor may be dead but the Empire is eternal" they salute and get back to their post.

This is directly and strongly contradicted by Official Canon main storyline movie “The Force Awakens via a Star War”, where a stormtrooper is a janitor and also leaves the empire very easily ? So I think you’re very incorrect, good day

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

boar guy posted:

spending 12.5 million per episode to produce it has its rewards

Not being important enough that the suits didn't get involved in the story seems to have paid dividends as well

Like the lead barely talks and doesn't even have a proper name and he's still a more dramatically coherent than basically every new Disney character except arguably Kylo Ren. Is it groundbreaking or even particularly deep? Absolutely not. But we know enough about the guy to have a basic understanding of why he's making the choices he's faced with and what consequences he's taking on by doing so. I want to know more about him. I want to know what he will do next. I am concerned that the worst of the blowback for his decision to cross the Imperial remnant and the Guild has yet to come. I am rooting for him and his cute green son

It's that fuckin easy and yet the movies have not figured out how to achieve this despite vastly more resources at their disposal

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

This is directly and strongly contradicted by Official Canon main storyline movie “The Force Awakens via a Star War”, where a stormtrooper is a janitor and also leaves the empire very easily ? So I think you’re very incorrect, good day

I think you'll find that takes place some two plus decades after the events of the mandalorian, where an evil ginger brainwashes people and puts them under the command of a chrome giantess.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Not being important enough that the suits didn't get involved in the story seems to have paid dividends as well

from what i understand, but i could be wrong:

star wars execs are so out of touch with the series and what fans want that they didn't want to use the now beloved baby yoda puppet and hardly had any merchandise, which we assume they love so much, ready for the holiday season.

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised if someone loses their job for not having baby Yoda plushes ready to go for Xmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

dick wizard posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if someone loses their job for not having baby Yoda plushes ready to go for Xmas.

there's no merch because favreau wanted baby yoda to be a secret