Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Lucrece posted:

In the comments, only $3000 of the combined "savings" is his, and was some sort of student loan (sorry, little hazy on the details). He's not touching his money at all, he wants her to pay off the entire tax bill with her money.

LOL even worse IMO. Dude doesn't have the ability or desire to save it sounds like. If they break up he'll never pay her back. She should sever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012

therobit posted:

Yeah but they ain't married, he's asking for half her savings which is almost $10k, and then he would still have $7500 of his own. It's a debt to the IRS for back taxes and I don't see where it says he's been making a payment. He should handle this himself by borrowing the other $2500 he needs and then if they get married she can help pay off what's left.

Granted, but I'm not married to my mom either. I guess I'm having difficulty saying I'd marry someone who I couldn't trust in this situation.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It's just sketch as gently caress that he's insisting she pay the entire thing, regardless of all the setup of him paying her back for it

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Agreed, I did say his money needs to be depleted first, and sorry if I missed that in the post.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
Does my GF deserve a ring?

quote:

So My GF(F,30) been fighting with me for 3 years accusing me of all sort of things cheating because I did not post her picture on my Instagram.

I did not post her picture on my Instagram because I did this twice in the past and both times I regret doing it. Once, she started cussing my friends in social media. And another time she remoevd me and block me and refused to answer my calls. I found it pretty stupid to have the picture of someone on my IG who blocked me and doesn't answer my calls, so I removed it.

3 years fast forward, I just posted my GF's picture on my IG. As soon as I did so, she stopped answering my calls again. I keep calling her and she doesn't respond. She in fact texts me back, instead of picking up phone and speaking like a human would, she texts me back saying "Why did you post this picture? I have acne ! Why didn't you tag me? bluh bluh" I didn't tag her because I don't want random people see my pic and add her. Why any of this matter anyway? She was accusing me of having affairs on Instagram and hiding my GF n stuff, n I posted the pic so that she knows that accusation is not true. I did not tag her like I said because I don't want random guys add her.

This takes me to another discussion, the ring. So I'm just looking at this, my GF been telling me for 3 years I should post her picture on my IG and I just did and instead of being happy or appreciate she started blocking my calls and telling me that I'm a piece of trash because of not tagging her and telling me that I don't care about her and telling me that I should take the picture down (after she was fighting with me for 3 years that I should post the pic, as soon as I did and 40 people already liked it she's now telling me that I should take the pic down and she doesn't care..)

So this takes me to thinking.. what if I buy a ring for this girl and marry her and she does the same thing? Who is there to say that the day after I marry her she won't play the same games? What do you think I should do? Why everything I do she has something to say? I never wanted to use instagram in the first place, she forced me to. I never wanted to post private pics there, she forced me to. Now that I did post, she's unhappy still. Like .. Whatever I do she's unhappy. Why on earth should I buy a ring for a girl that when I do something for her she doesn't appreciate?

tl;dr Should I buy her a ring?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lucrece posted:

Does my GF deserve a ring?

I hate both of you. Stay together and keep yourselves out of the dating pool.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
AITA for not giving my obese friend a plane ride?

quote:

Well, today I had to break some tough news to a friend of mine. He weight a little over 400 and has rapidly declining health. He is in his mid 30s. Hes not doing to well and is having a midlife crisis thinking he wont be around that much longer. I assume theres more going on due to his weight and I am not going to prod. Anyways, I'm a pilot and have a 172A (4 seater Cessna). He has wanted to fly for a while, hes never been in a plane, let alone take the controls of one. He has been asking me and I told him I needed to look into some things and I would let him know. Well after doing some math, with his weight and size it would not be safe. Hes too large, not only weight wise but I dont thing he could fit inside the plane. Its tight. I looked into putting him in the back two seats but the weight and balance just will not work out in a way I'm comfortable with. For anyone who's not aviation savvy, the way you balance and distribute the weight onboarding the plane is very important and can mean life or death if you over load with fuel, passengers and luggage. Well today I had to break it to him. And hes devestated. If he could motivate himself to lose weight I would gladly take him up and even let him fly. But I dont think he took it that way. I am worried that him knowing hes to big to safely fly in a plane will make his depression 10x worse. But I cant take risks like that. And it sucks. I told him I would see about finding someone with a private jet he could get on, but he would not be able to fly it.

Anyways, I feel aweful. But.... yeah. I told.him that if he could use this as a way to motivated him, he would get free lessons from me if I get my CFI. But I have a ways to go before that.

Edit: I almost knew immediately that there was no way it would work, but atleast I tried to make it work with fiddling fuel load etc. But there was no way possible I could get anywhere near safe load. I hope he uses this as a means of change

Pretty obviously not the rear end in a top hat (not only is it extremely unsafe to fly with a plane that's out of weight and balance limits, it is also illegal) but I thought it was a nice break from the usual relationship drama.

anyway what's the friend's forum name

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Sagebrush posted:

anyway what's the friend's forum name

Pretty sure it's this rear end in a top hat.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

AITA for not giving my obese friend a plane ride?
Well this just makes me sad.

For loan dude I'm conflicted - certainly for a spouse it makes sense to look at finances jointly, but if he's holding onto his own savings that's a big red flag. I'd probably tell him to look for a loan elsewhere and see how he reacts, his reaction could make or break it.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
I (19F) dated a girl (26F) for a month and then broke it off. I think the same girl and my dad (40sM) are now dating

quote:

I (19F) met a girl (26F) on Tinder a couple of months ago. She was a bit older than me, but we still got along on a good, mature level and I really enjoyed her company. To be completely honest I was really clingy towards her because she was very attractive and idk just seemed really cool to me. We went on a few dates and hooked up within the month, but eventually she told me she was not interested and we haven’t really talked since other than keeping a snapchat streak. I was a bit hurt because she was only the second person I’d ever had sex with, but I’m over it now.

One thing I remember when talking to her is that she was into this really obscure comic book, and I thought it was really neat because my dad (40sM) was into the same one. I told her a bit about my dad and come to find out they liked a lot of the same movies, comics, and music, so I said she would get along great with him. Nothing ever really came much of it... or so I thought.

On Thursday my dad starts telling me about this girl he met at a convention a few weeks ago and how theyve been seeing each other, and her name was the same name as the girl I dated. It kind of shocked me but I didn’t think much of it until he started telling me about how she’s into the same obscure comic he was into and poo poo like that. I paused and then I asked him to show me her Facebook if she had one... and it was loving her.

I went into my room and just felt sick to my stomach. Does she remember me? Would she do this on purpose? I have literally no clue what to tell my dad, or what to tell the girl if anything. My dad does not even know that I’m into girls. I think he would be okay with it, but I don’t want me revealing that I used to see this girl be the way I come out. I’m so mad, hurt, and disgusted all in one. What the gently caress do I do?

TLDR: My dad is dating the same girl that I dated and was intimate with a few months ago. He doesn’t even know that I like girls.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Tanith posted:

I (19F) dated a girl (26F) for a month and then broke it off. I think the same girl and my dad (40sM) are now dating

Thats loving wild.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tanith posted:

Well huh... uh... life finds a way?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Tanith posted:

I was a bit hurt because she was only the second person I’d ever had sex with, but I’m over it now.
Counting people you have sex with is idiotic. You haven't moved on. I'm glad your dad is fuckin' this woman, because god knows you were a disappointment, and not just to your dad. She did the right thing by dumping your clingy rear end. Absorb this lesson, child, and guide the neural circuits, embedding it in your memory. She :sever:d, as she should have. You're already in free fall and haven't even figured out how to use your parachute yet.

quote:

Does she remember me?

No.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Admiral Ray posted:

Counting people you have sex with is idiotic. You haven't moved on. I'm glad your dad is fuckin' this woman, because god knows you were a disappointment, and not just to your dad. She did the right thing by dumping your clingy rear end. Absorb this lesson, child, and guide the neural circuits, embedding it in your memory. She :severed:, as she should have. You're already in free fall and haven't even figured out how to use your parachute yet.

No.

:eyepop:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

derra posted:

Granted, but I'm not married to my mom either. I guess I'm having difficulty saying I'd marry someone who I couldn't trust in this situation.

I might see it a little differently if it was "Fiance" and bot "Boyfriend of 5 years (intent to marry." If they had a date that was soon it would make sense. About a month or two before we got married, I got an offer in the m mail for 0% balance transfer for the life of the balance on a credit card I had. My fiancee at the time had a $5k credit card balance at a high teens interest rate from when she was studying abroad (we were both still in college but had been together for 5 years). I transferred the balance to my card, we got married, and we worked together on paying it off. But if he hasn't put a ring on it yet, why would you give him close to 5 figures of money?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for cutting off my father if he skips my wedding to go on vacation with his new wife/step kids?

quote:

Throwaway because people know me on my main account.

Anyways I’m (26F) getting married next June and it’s been a massive struggle with my mom, step dad, dad, and step mom.

Basically I don’t have the best relationship with my dad already. He cheated on my mom when I was 14 and later married his mistress, who’s my current step mom although I don’t call her any sort of “mom.” They have 3 kids together.

Over the years my own siblings have become really close to his kids but I haven’t. So now that I’m getting married the initial pressure was on me to invite his entire family, despite me not getting along with his wife at all.

I decided along with my fiancé that we will only invite my dad, for my siblings sake, but his wife and kids will not be invited to our wedding. This caused huge uproar with my siblings and eventually I was FURTHER pressured to invite his kids, but only to the latter half of the reception and not the ceremony (I stood my ground). I sent an email explaining my logic and decision to the entire extended family, in case anyone was confused why I did not want these people at my ceremony.

Anyways, just last week my dad calls me and says he won’t be coming to my wedding after all after how “rude” I’ve been to his wife and kids and how my email supposedly humiliated them. He says he’ll be going on vacation with them that week and will send his gift through mail instead. I told him if that’s his choice don’t bother contacting me for the rest of his life because I won’t answer, because I’m not letting him abandon me a second time.

AITA for this threat? My fiancé is fully on my side but my siblings have called me heartless. Even my mom who’s the sweetest person alive has questioned my tactics. Thanks.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Admiral Ray posted:

Counting people you have sex with is idiotic. You haven't moved on. I'm glad your dad is fuckin' this woman, because god knows you were a disappointment, and not just to your dad. She did the right thing by dumping your clingy rear end. Absorb this lesson, child, and guide the neural circuits, embedding it in your memory. She :sever:d, as she should have. You're already in free fall and haven't even figured out how to use your parachute yet.

No.

gently caress lol

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hughlander posted:

AITA for cutting off my father if he skips my wedding to go on vacation with his new wife/step kids?

Not even a little bit of an rear end in a top hat, everyone in your family is drinking the "but he's faaaaaaamily" kool-aid, your father is literally choosing his new family over you of course you're entitled to tell him to gently caress off forever for that little stunt

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Not even a little bit of an rear end in a top hat, everyone in your family is drinking the "but he's faaaaaaamily" kool-aid, your father is literally choosing his new family over you of course you're entitled to tell him to gently caress off forever for that little stunt

True but I kinda wanna see what this email said lol.

It’s not as cut and dry as the title leads us to believe.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for watching someones funeral from the 17th story of my work next door?

My coworker called me out and said i was trashy for doing so, i work security at a 18 story building for a major company. I regularly go to the cafe on the 17th story get a coffee and watch the graveyard thats next door aswell as sunrise and sunsets. I watch for several hours a day between my rounds as the cafe has a booth directly pointing out the window for me to see almost 180° into most of the main city (we are on the outskirts)

When theres a funeral or two i like to watch them. But my coworker says i need to give those people privacy and that im a pos. But its not like those people know??? Its not like im firing a t shirt cannon from the roof loaded with “gently caress you mom wheres my inheritance” shirts i just sit and watch. Sometimes i joke to myself but who cares??

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

True but I kinda wanna see what this email said lol.

It’s not as cut and dry as the title leads us to believe.

Yeah I was all primed to say NTA based on the title, but saying "you can come but your wife and kids can't" is really lovely. Dad's still a cheater but there's no call for that. If you really can't bear to see his new family don't invite him at all.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for watching someones funeral from the 17th story of my work next door?
When theres a funeral or two i like to watch them. But my coworker says i need to give those people privacy and that im a pos. But its not like those people know??? Its not like im firing a t shirt cannon from the roof loaded with “gently caress you mom wheres my inheritance” shirts i just sit and watch. Sometimes i joke to myself but who cares??
:lol::lol: I love that mental image so much

NTA, they're in a public space and yeah it's not like you're bothering them, you're just watching from a distance

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Hughlander posted:

I had to find this and read through the comments. I absolutely LOVE this one from OP.....

quote:

Toastyghosty48272
-134 points
·
3 hours ago
The point of sending the email was so everyone remembers why my dad isn’t suddenly the good guy in all this.

It was a public shaming (if you wanna call it that) that’s been overdue for a long time. There was nothing I said in the email about him, his wife, or his kids that wasn’t 100% true and deserving of being heard by everyone in the family.

And his kids aren’t babies so you can stop with the “young kids” act. They’re old enough to see their mom and dad for the people they are. I hope they read the email too.

But at the end of the day nothing I did was wrong enough for him to choose his fake family over me. I said what needed to be said and he couldn’t deal with the truth once again.

Plus, dad is paying for half of the wedding!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I (30F) moved into my husband’s (45M) filthy apartment and am miserable. What do I do?

My husband and I never lived together before we got married. We’d dated 6 years before tying the knot. I love him a lot and was always shocked that we had no big fights — that is until we moved in together. My apartment was too small. His was cheaper and bigger, so I began moving in after we got married. The trouble is, he is a pack rat and very messy. I’m talking clothing all over the furniture and on the floor, dirty dishes left over night on the counter, in the sink, on the tables. He piles old filthy shoes and things he promises he’ll Ebay one day but never does to the point where now I’m having to eBay things for him or get rid of the things not even Goodwill will take in secret.

He’s infuriated by any suggestion or request to clean up. I’ve tried bringing it up in the morning, in the afternoon, on the weekend, during the weekday. Each time he says I’m ruining his mood and it’s not a good time to discuss it.

When I try to clean up he tells me I’m doing it wrong or critiques me. When I finally blow my stack at the end of the day upon walking in the door and seeing that the place is still a pigsty and he’s laying on the couch drinking a tea - I get in trouble.

He is freelance and doesn’t make as much money as I do at my full time job. He also works out of the house. I work full time, pay for all insurance, pay half the rent and utilities, cook and do a lion’s share of the cleaning. If he cooks, he just leaves a massive mess. If I ask him to clean up, he makes more of a mess. I brought over a nice table of mine (the one piece of furniture he decided could come over) and I asked him to not put anything but our plates and cups on it. It’s become a storage facility for his overflowing junk. I ask nicely for him to remove the stuff from the top. He blows up and refuses to compromise.

He can’t throw boxes away because he’s convinced he can use them to eBay his old garbage. And in the middle of all this, I can’t move any of my things into his place - beyond some of my clothes and toiletries - because there is no room.

I was abused growing up as a kid. My room was a safe space for me. I don’t feel comfortable or safe in messy environments. I’ve explained this to my husband. He thinks I need to get over it.

He’ll push me and insult me until I freak the f*** out, and then, when I kick a bag of dirty laundry, I become the bad guy. And maybe I am? Maybe I’m turning into my mother. I’m devastated by this idea.

I’m only a month into our marriage and feel like I’ve just made a massive mistake. I’ve asked him to go to counseling with me. He refuses and says I’m the problem.

What can I do here? How do you get someone to compromise with you? Is it time for me to get my own apartment and live separately? I’m miserable from the moment I walk in the door and feel so angry at this person. And mostly at myself.

TL;DR: My husband (45M) is a pack rat and I (30F) can’t be around his mess any more.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Tanith posted:

Aside from the obvious craziness of this post, how does someone need to estimate the age of their own father?

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
I havent paid income tax in almost 20 years, how screwed am I?

quote:

Since I got my first job at 14 I've been claiming exempt on both state and federal withholdings. Nobody ever said anything about it so I decided I was gonna keep doing it for a couple months and see what happens. Well fast forward 19 years and I'm still claiming exempt. I'm 33 now, and this year I've decided I want to file my taxes and pave my way through America just like everyone else. I just bought a house and car for the first time of my life this year, and I really don't want to lose them and go to prison for tax evasion, so for the first time in almost 20 years i am going to file my taxes. I'm incredibly scared, but I am going to follow through with it anyway. Am I going to have to go to prison? How much of a debt do I owe to the IRS? And are there any ways I can soften the impact? Pls halp

Edit: MY SO'S house, sorry. We've been together 10 years, so even though we aren't married I just assumed they can take it because I live there and make payments on it too (in her name though)

Also, you guys seem to agree that I'm very hosed, which terrifies tf out of me so I'm going to get a hold a lawyer. drat, you'd think I would've gotten a warning somewhere down the line. I'm gonna leave this up and continue to read your advice but I agree it's probably best if I go to a lawyer before going to the IRS.

Thanks everyone!

t-.-t
Nov 25, 2006

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

Aside from the obvious craziness of this post, how does someone need to estimate the age of their own father?

Honestly I don't know my parents age at all. My mother always (jokingly) referred to herself as twenty-one whenever the question came up. Since I don't need her birth year for any documents and she never liked to say it I never pried.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for being against my wife getting in contact with her narc parents

quote:

My (47 m) wife (23 f) met 5 years ago in a night club 3 hours from my house. I took her home and did the deed with her and soon found out she was pregnant. Her parents kicked her out because they didn't want me to be with her and since we had feelings for each other I told her that if she kept the child I would let her live with me since she was my first time and I fell in love with her and knew this was my only chance at being a father. She agreed and 9 months later gave birth to a beautiful baby boy, the son I always wanted. We got married without anybody knowing and have been leaving peacefully since then. Our special guy's birthday is soon and everything is good. I recently found out wife has been talking to her mom again and wanted her and dad at our son's party. I was LIVID. I screamed at her that she is falling for her abusers trap and that they tried to ruin our relationship before and kicked her out when she was pregnant. Wife said her parents are incredibly sorry and want to be in her and my son's life again. I threatened divorce (which meant she would be homeless with no job) and would fight like hell for custody of my son (she would be deemed an unfit mother because of no permanent residence or source of income) if she went against my wishes on wanting to protect her from her narc parents. Wife backed down and I was able to convince her not to trust her parents. For the past week she keeps bringing up how she misses her family since we live 3 hours away. I told her that she has to get it out of her head because her family is toxic and only wants to destroy our relationship. She keeps acting like a child and its pissing me off. Am I being the rear end in a top hat here or should my wife see the error of her ways?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Lucrece posted:

thatsbait.jpg

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

How are they narcs, or is that just unrelated and not mentioned?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

They narced on him to her that it's crazy to hitch her wagon to this fuckin fail horse?

I can see why that might upset him.

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Dec 15, 2019

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

t-.-t posted:

Honestly I don't know my parents age at all. My mother always (jokingly) referred to herself as twenty-one whenever the question came up. Since I don't need her birth year for any documents and she never liked to say it I never pried.

So when you have a birthday party for her, you just don't even know which one she's celebrating? You don't know how old she was when you were born? I can't imagine not knowing this stuff.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lucrece posted:

I had to find this and read through the comments. I absolutely LOVE this one from OP.....

Plus, dad is paying for half of the wedding!

Lol well that settles that then. She’s TA.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

So when you have a birthday party for her, you just don't even know which one she's celebrating? You don't know how old she was when you were born? I can't imagine not knowing this stuff.

i find it weird that you do know it

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MarcusSA posted:

Lol well that settles that then. She’s TA.
She probably unloaded like 15 years of resentment with that email.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Lucrece posted:

so these people met during a one night stand when she was 18 and he was a 42-year-old virgin? That's like the worst romcom premise of all time. Imagine Fools Rush In but instead of Salma Hayek and Matthew Perry it starred Ellen Page circa Hard Candy and Leonardo DiCaprio circa now

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm with everyone else posting on this. Why would I need or want to know how old my mother was when she gave birth to me? I happen to know her birth year solely because when I was a kid it was part of the password for the user account on the family computer, but it's not a number that I've ever needed since then

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Play posted:

You look around the post for the rear end in a top hat, but you can't find them. Everyone looks like an rear end in a top hat. EveryTHING looks like an rear end in a top hat. It's like a labyrinth of assholes, stretching to the horizon. You desperately look for the exit, but there is none. The post has no exit, and around every corner is a fresh rear end in a top hat, dripping and slobbering on you. You are trapped and will never escape

CYOA for Gen Z is utterly horrifying

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

My step-dad's mother was a nurse in WWII and she's been 39 for as long as i've known her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I only really know my dad's birthday because of his 40th.