Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

MikeCrotch posted:

I like Ronya posts, even if I don't always agree with them :shrug:

yeah good analysis, i dont agree with all of it but its better than just "corbyn would have been extremely popular if not for the BBC" denialism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
The one hope you poor doomed bastards have left is this:

The Tories devolve into political infighting and backstabbery and with Gove around, that isn't that unlikely, the man would betray his own family for a piece of chocolate.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

RagnarokZ posted:

The Tories devolve into political infighting and backstabbery and with Gove around, that isn't that unlikely, the man would betray his own family for a piece of chocolate.

Yes but that's because it contains nutrients needed in great quantities for his species' survival.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

The #ALLINFORABBOTT hashtag is trending, and guess which political affiliation started it off.

I recommend not looking at it.

I've been staying off twitter altogether (but seeing some things posted here). I might actually take a long break. Other people should try it.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
What are the consequences of infighting for Boris when he led the party to such a commanding majority? What were the consequences of infighting during Thatcher and Blair’s majorities?

A British Prime Minister with a strong majority is more powerful (domestically) than an American president.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

meet punk tory gay lads in your area now

:qq: I went on a date and it went quite well until I told him I was a Tory. No tolerance for opposing views!

And then it happened again!

And again!

And again!

And then I wrote a newspaper article about how mean everyone is to me.

And then it happened again!

And again!

And again!

I really think everyone else is the problem here.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Comrade Fakename posted:

*Ronya drags the folder full of pre-written essays titled “Why Labour Should Return to Centrism After its Victory” into the recycle bin and then opens the folder named “Why Labour Should Return to Centrism After its Loss,” ready to deploy.*

fwiw, I wrote this in May, in the wake of the Euros

ronya posted:

I find myself on the side of those arguing against LAB gains from a pivot to hard remain; I do not see it in the polling (I see fewer losses but it was always going to be hard going anyway; the demographic terrain is just really hostile with the increasingly-permanent loss of Scotland, and the low-hanging fruit were swept up already in 2017)

regardless, a noisy internecine battle right now seems like a waste of a Tory civil war. They're going to be mudslinging brutally in the press. Why interrupt their fun?

Corbyn abruptly reducing an unspecified number of days of consultation to "yup referendum okay fine we'll pull over and do it shut up y'all" twelve hours later is probably the best of difficult circumstances. The party needs a direction, not no-holds-barred Thornberry vs McCluskey battle to the death, and the inevitable upcoming battle over the position Labour would support as the alternate option in that unspecified public vote, or what position Labour would support at all, can be kicked down the road still further.

I have been, I hope, consistent in arguing that 1) Labour gained in 2017 through the successful policy of ambiguity, and 2) it would see losses with the corresponding end of ambiguity as a productive tactic

I don't think I'm at all good at this "prognostication" stuff but I have not maintained that Labour was going to win

ronya fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 15, 2019

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
https://twitter.com/deletedbyMPs/status/1205834395485134848

Oopsie.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

MikeCrotch posted:

Jeremy Gilbert has some great analysis where he talks about the two groups that massively benefited from neoliberalism are gay men and middle class women, as they were primary recipients of the social liberalisation but also had the financial means to benefit without relying on the state.

Thanks, I'll take a look sometime. That definitely lines up with my experience of at least a certain subset of the community (such as it is).

This is anecdotal, but I've found that 'our' right-wingers are among the worst. They often seem especially callous and extreme. Whether this is some twisted mutation of our old socially provocative side into something immeasurably less positive? Pure desperation for an acceptance that they'll never attain? Something else entirely? I don't know that

Braggart posted:

Any date I had with a punk Tory would be perfunctory ;)

Oh you and me both mate. I'm not the 'gently caress em hard just to hurt em' type, they'd be just as selfish in bed and just as vacuously irritating in the day-to-day. On the more positive side I will say I found Glasgow was remarkably good for meeting angry communist bears

e: (I quite enjoy reading ronya's posts even though I do sometimes have to do it twice)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Supposedly Boris's first priorities are to redraw constituency boundaries to 600 and abolish the fixed term parliament act (rather than you know, getting Brexit done) how hosed does that leave us?

Tbh I am fine with axing the FTPA. It was always stupid as gently caress.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I don't have another campaign in me either way, this one took months of progress of my mental health. I am not confrontational enough to operate in that environment.

Take care of yourself, Owlie. You're a force to be reckoned with, but you deserve a rest.

Ikwaylx posted:

I'm going to take a break from the thread for a bit, so I'm going to find the quirkiest coffee shop I can find in Norwich and read some Discworld.

Remember to take some time for yourself if you're feeling overwhelmed.

Yeah, that's really important. It might not seem like it because I'm still posting but I'm taking a mental break myself. I'm putting much more time into good things that I love, and trying to be careful with myself. I'm definitely feeling the blow we just took.

You're all awesome, be good to yourselves :)

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

forkboy84 posted:

Did anyone else get the Momentum email about a conference call with John McDonnell tonight?

Yes, I assume it's a Momentum wide thing

Carborundum
Feb 21, 2013
Mostly a lurker here, but just feel the need to comment that ronya's posts are both badly written and contain terrible opinions.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Shogi posted:

Oh you and me both mate. I'm not the 'gently caress em hard just to hurt em' type, they'd be just as selfish in bed and just as vacuously irritating in the day-to-day. On the more positive side I will say I found Glasgow was remarkably good for meeting angry communist bears

Not to go into too much detail for the thread, but I find selfishness kind of hot. But I still wouldn't involve myself with someone like that. My answer is to find someone wonderful who enjoys pretending to be mean :stwoon:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Some people take social ostracism and turn it into a badge of pride, forming their own, better subculture centered around liberation from the things that oppress them. Some people just wish it didn't happen and want to be integrated into wider society. And some people just turn into loving psychopaths which makes them a great fit for the tories.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

ronya posted:

I have not maintained that Labour was going to win

We noticed, yes.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I'm still drinking lol

Gonna be a long 5 years

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

OwlFancier posted:

Some people take social ostracism and turn it into a badge of pride, forming their own, better subculture centered around liberation from the things that oppress them. Some people just wish it didn't happen and want to be integrated into wider society. And some people just turn into loving psychopaths which makes them a great fit for the tories.

That's the cut and thrust of it. I'd warn against the idea that the 'gayness' of this parliament bodes well or ill or tells us anything except that Tories will currently suffer the homosexual to exist. We are people in all our horrible complexity, not cuddly symbols or badges of honour.

People's thoughts above about taking a break are 100% correct btw. I'm if anything posting more because I'm too physically and intellectually wrecked to be around others this weekend and yet too gobby to stop trying to 'talk through it', but we all need to use the coping strategies we've got atm.

Braggart posted:

Not to go into too much detail for the thread, but I find selfishness kind of hot. But I still wouldn't involve myself with someone like that. My answer is to find someone wonderful who enjoys pretending to be mean :stwoon:

We all like a bit of ruff sometimes, but. How shall I put this? There's selfish and then there's kind of...uhm...inert

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Thanks to whoever was posting Kate Tempest, I've been mainlining her albums and it's really helped me out during the last couple of days

Same. She's speaking the thoughts that are racing through my mind. I'm back in work today working retail in an area full of the working class and I can't look any of the customers in the eye. The upper class elite could come storming down the aisles atop horses and cut us down with sabers and everyone would stop to loving clap

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Shogi posted:

We all like a bit of ruff sometimes, but. How shall I put this? There's selfish and then there's kind of...uhm...inert

A very fair point :D

:stwoon: :mrapig:

:toughguy: :tootzzz:

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

RagnarokZ posted:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7791169/Whos-whos-Boris-Johnsons-cabinet-reshuffle.html

I'll go there so you don't have to:
-Boris Johnson is set to use his thumping majority as a mandate to shake up his Cabinet and push his 'blue-collar' Tory agenda.
-speculation a third of ministers could be axed or moved
-Rees-Mogg looks to be one of the most at risk of being sacked
-Sajid Javid is the only minister guaranteed to remain in his job, with the PM pledging to stick with the Chancellor
-Michael Gove...is touted to be in line for a promotion for continually going out to bat for he PM in media rounds.
-Business Secretary Andrea Leadsom and Trade Secretary Liz Truss are mooted as being ripe for sacking

We've had fragile governments for so long that we've forgotten what a majority PM is capable of doing. Boris can kick another 20 MPs out of the party and not even feel it. Even Gove is smart enough to recognise that for the foreseeable future, his place is at his master's heel.

Like Cameron did with the expenses scandal, I can see this majority being the opportunity Boris uses to re-fashion the conservatives into something more modern and appealing to the vast majority of the country who don't live in a manor house.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Shogi posted:

That's the cut and thrust of it. I'd warn against the idea that the 'gayness' of this parliament bodes well or ill or tells us anything except that Tories will currently suffer the homosexual to exist. We are people in all our horrible complexity, not cuddly symbols or badges of honour.

Boris needed more bumboys.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
How do we fight any of this without coming off as whiny crybabies and sore losers?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Endjinneer posted:

We've had fragile governments for so long that we've forgotten what a majority PM is capable of doing. Boris can kick another 20 MPs out of the party and not even feel it. Even Gove is smart enough to recognise that for the foreseeable future, his place is at his master's heel.

Like Cameron did with the expenses scandal, I can see this majority being the opportunity Boris uses to re-fashion the conservatives into something more modern and appealing to the vast majority of the country who don't live in a manor house.

Someone pointed out yesterday that the scale of this majority means Boris is no longer subject to the whims of the ERG, so could move the party back towards the centre. Whether or not he does of course is another question entirely.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You don't, immediately. You wait for them to do bad things and then pick at them.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Did you guys forget Boris' track record or what?

He'll pretend to do some minor leaning to the left with empty gestures but actually won't do anything for anyone except the rich, while selling the NHS under our feet

Oh I'm sure he'll put some billions into hospitals... like he put millions on his bridge... remember his bridge?

I mean come on.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Azza Bamboo posted:

How do we fight any of this without coming off as whiny crybabies and sore losers?

Well once America jacks up the cost of medication and forcibly lowers food standards people will be too busy howling about that to remember anything that happened before.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Pochoclo posted:

He'll pretend to do some minor leaning to the left with empty gestures but actually won't do anything for anyone except the rich, while selling the NHS under our feet

Oh I'm sure he'll put some billions into hospitals... like he put millions on his bridge... remember his bridge?

I mean come on.

Friendship ended with bridge

Now best friend is fridge

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

Braggart posted:

A very fair point :D

:stwoon: :mrapig:

:toughguy: :tootzzz:

Exactly, though I don't get why you needed to flip your av horizontally??

Pochoclo posted:

I mean come on.

This is what I expect really. Johnson will most likely shuffle the most obvious ghouls to the back of the pack and make some posh blustering noises about Our NHS and One Nation and rallying around the flag and the queen. If he's smart he'll throw a couple of sops at Northern constituencies and call it the Brexit dividend. But he is who he is - he will continue to do everything he can to tear up our social contract, sell off the resources that could have gone into building a sustainable future, sow divisions and distrust, and make sure we stay stressed, apathetic and stupid.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Shogi posted:

Exactly, though I don't get why you needed to flip your av horizontally??

Look at these nipples! They need attention! :mad:

Edit: Oh, I misread, and was thinking 90 degrees of rotation so Putin's lying down and Kirby is looking eager :D

Whatever!

I don't need a man like Putin! t:mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vryq4Ubq3q8

Braggart fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 15, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
he'll hold off on selling everything until the next crash and like last time the public will, be convinced its necessary

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Boris is also lazy and incompetent, and he's got an Objectivist as his chancellor, so I think that even if he makes a genuine attempt to reverse the worst parts of austerity, there's no guarantee he'll succeed. He's also going to get completely rolled in every international negotiation from now until the end of time, which won't help.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Add me to the list of posters taking a break for a bit - spent the morning with family without mentioning politics once and it genuinely has hit me like an ecstasy/prozac speedball.

Gonna throw myself into wrapping presents (because once again I've thought "it's much more fun to buy lots of silly little presents than one big one", which is true, but means I now have *53* weirdly-shaped things to wrap), sorting out the horrifying logistics of getting my family in one spot at the same time, and generally in a happy, ignorant consumerist fuzz.

Solidarity and love to you all, look after yourselves, and give yourself permission to enjoy the holiday season as much as you possibly can. It's the darkest time of the year, and there's a reason almost every society on earth tries to fill the season with as much light, warmth and love as they can. See you all in the new year.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
2020 goals: * make more agitprop
* do some volunteering

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
Apologies for the following hot take that might be a bit off-topic and kinda stating the obvious, but I can't hold it in lol

I just can't help but get annoyed at how quite a lot of people, especially centrists/libs/moralists seem to be eager to be wagged by the right, or whoever is behind it. It happened during Trump election, it happened during Brexit referendum, it's happening now and I keep seeing these grand statements from blue ticks on Twitter and beyond about how Tories are liars (sky is blue)/release Russia report/brexit was wrong (duh)/look at this nasty thing boris said or done/yadda yadda, which just amount to stating the obvious and feeling outraged by it.

Like I get it, all those things are nasty and preposterous but no, Tories/Trump/etc don't care about the outrage; no, they don't care if it hurts anybody; no, they don't care about lying/colluding with foreign powers/dog-whistles and neither does at least a part of their electorate. At least, they don't care enough to change who they vote for.

If stating those things is an attempt at anything more than plain venting then it's failing and just playing to the narrative that is pushed by the right, it seems to me. At worst, these statements might even dissuade people from participating in politics because "all politicians bad", etc.

Thinking about it, I wouldn't even be that surprised if it turns out that the whole Russia report thing is a giant red herring and there is absolutely nothing incriminating in there

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/francesleach_/status/1206183801031933952?s=20

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

nurmie posted:

Apologies for the following hot take that might be a bit off-topic and kinda stating the obvious, but I can't hold it in lol

I just can't help but get annoyed at how quite a lot of people, especially centrists/libs/moralists seem to be eager to be wagged by the right, or whoever is behind it. It happened during Trump election, it happened during Brexit referendum, it's happening now and I keep seeing these grand statements from blue ticks on Twitter and beyond about how Tories are liars (sky is blue)/release Russia report/brexit was wrong (duh)/look at this nasty thing boris said or done/yadda yadda, which just amount to stating the obvious and feeling outraged by it.

Like I get it, all those things are nasty and preposterous but no, Tories/Trump/etc don't care about the outrage; no, they don't care if it hurts anybody; no, they don't care about lying/colluding with foreign powers/dog-whistles and neither does at least a part of their electorate. At least, they don't care enough to change who they vote for.

If stating those things is an attempt at anything more than plain venting then it's failing and just playing to the narrative that is pushed by the right, it seems to me. At worst, these statements might even dissuade people from participating in politics because "all politicians bad", etc.

Thinking about it, I wouldn't even be that surprised if it turns out that the whole Russia report thing is a giant red herring and there is absolutely nothing incriminating in there

It's a lot easier to just blame the other side for lying or an outside actor for interfering than admit you made the wrong decisions.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Isomermaid posted:

This is not an answer to your question but I think of the Titanic and the people that died on it. Specifically, at what point the people on that ship were dead. "About 20 minutes after going into the water", right? Technically I guess. But no, it was kind of inevitable after the iceberg hit, those people were going to die no matter what. The wave function of their probabilities collapsed and there was nothing from that point, personally that they could do to effect their outcome. And you can go back and back picking earlier and earlier points in time and say well here it was always likely, here it was unavoidable, here it was the first sign of danger. It's morbid I know.

And I think knowing what we know, going back in time to stop things from going wrong, what could you do? Convince them to make the water tight bulkheads go up to the deck at the design phase? Tell the guy hey you really ought to not forget your binoculars? Try and convince people that there ought to be more life rafts, not to push the engines going for a speed record, I mean what? What point could you convince a group of people that full of hubris, who would think you a mad woman for pointing out problems on an unsinkable ship, caring about the survival of the human ballast on the lower decks and cluttering up their promenade deck with safety equipment they don't need? Spoil your achievements with your constant nay saying?

This is how I felt about politics for a long time and I had relatively recently dug my way out of thanks to this thread. I probably ought not to be dumping this in here tbh but I mean, I share the frustration I only hope that the helplessness passes and I can think of something useful to do. I just donated a gently caress ton of food to the food bank cos I couldn't think of anything else, and it feels like a band aid.
You go back in time and convince them to pack a full compliment of lifeboats. During launch, the passengers on deck all rush to one side to wave off the docks.

The added top weight combined with the raised center of gravity causes the ship to capsize in 20 feet of water. Hundreds die.

OwlFancier posted:

meet punk tory gay lads in your area now
Worst future.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One pertinent question - how do we get around the rules against political activism by charities, if we're going to go big on the whole community engagement dealio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Darth Walrus posted:

One pertinent question - how do we get around the rules against political activism by charities, if we're going to go big on the whole community engagement dealio?

Would it be feasible to organize under a different model - a co-op network under Labour branding say? That engages in volunteering and accepts donations but is not strictly speaking a charity?