Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

WIBTA if I didn’t attend my sisters miscarried child’s funeral?

quote:

My sister had a miscarriage at 23 weeks pregnant due to some health complications she had from a surgery a few years back. She does have another child who is a fine healthy 6 year old boy and we were all excited when she broke the news of her second pregnancy. Her and her husband are quite devastated over the miscarriage as this was probably their last chance to have another child. Obviously we’re all devastated, but she recently sent us a text in our family’s group message that she would be holding a funeral service for the child this coming Friday.

The problem with this is that the only time I can take off from work is vacation time that my wife and I have already made a plan of going on a cruise this spring. It’s always been our dream to go on a cruise and after saving up for the past few years and being very frugal with our money we finally have enough to go on the exact cruise we’ve always dreamed of. It comes complete with the alcohol and food package, island excursions( there’s 2 of them ) and a very nice and large room with a massive king size bed. This is truly our dream and I’d really hate to ruin our vacation by missing this one day of work.

I did indeed bring this up to my boss after a little hesitation ( Older white male who grew up in rural Kentucky) and he basically asked if I was serious and laughed in my face over the idea of having a funeral for a miscarried baby. I’ve worked at this place for 15 years and i’ve worked my way into a good position and wouldn’t be able to find a job anywhere near the pay and benefits I get due to my criminal history.

I know it seems quite messed up and it’s something my wife and I have been thinking about a lot, I love and support my sister but I’m just not sure if this would really be worth it for such a silly event.

Yikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

soscannonballs posted:

Lotta bitter goons who were bullied in school siding with that rear end in a top hat kid itt.

Sounds like god sided with the rear end in a top hat kid too

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

QuarkJets posted:

WIBTA if I didn’t attend my sisters miscarried child’s funeral?

Yikes

It's not silly, but all he has to say is that he can't get off work. Don't let the word 'vacation' come up.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

I'm with everyone else posting on this. Why would I need or want to know how old my mother was when she gave birth to me? I happen to know her birth year solely because when I was a kid it was part of the password for the user account on the family computer, but it's not a number that I've ever needed since then

You don't need to know it. It's just something I can't imagine not knowing. Same with grandparents' birth years, and parents' graduation years. I'm not even super close to my family, either. But this is stuff I knew off the top of my head when I was 7. Do your parents' ages not even come up at their birthday parties? Are your parents just like passing acquaintances to you or something?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Not everyone's parents have, or want, parties to remind them that they're getting older. For the longest time my dad tried to pretend his birthday didn't exist (then got passive-aggressive when he didn't get anything; this stopped when Mom told him either give us a list or shut the gently caress up. He made a list) and my mom's is on a holiday.

I'm on very good terms with my parents, Dads birthday/holiday jackassery nonwithstanding, and I don't know their exact ages. I don't need to. I know they're not *that* much older than me, because I was born real soon after they graduated high school.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Well I've learned something today! I would also have thought it expected that you would know your parents' ages, but I guess different families are different! Deep down, though, we're all the same: we all demand a non-stop supply of weird people making deranged demands of their relatives.

AITA for not wanting to wet nurse my 3 month old nephew?

quote:

The title isn't what it seems to begin with. My sister had tested out how he would do with a bottle, and she only tested it once, last month. He took it that one time. So I get to my moms and she's babysitting my 3 month old nephew. My sister decided to go to her husband's SpaceX holiday party 1 hour away from home. What I didn't know is that my mom and sister discussed between themselves that if he didn't take the bottle I would be there to nurse him if I had to. So time comes for him to eat, my mom gets his bottle ready, he isnt having it. She looks at me and says "poor baby, you should nurse your nephew." I replied with I'm not comfortable doing that. After that she continued to ask me to nurse him 4 more times each time me responding back with no. Also, I have a one month old who was born at 6 lbs so I felt that the milk I make is solely for my newborn. I felt I was getting guilt tripped and that I should've fed my nephew but also felt that it wasn't my responsibility. My sister chose to go to a holiday party instead of stay home and tend and care to her 3 month old. Sorry if this is all over the place, it's my first time posting and I'm still getting used to reddit. So AITA for not wanting to nurse my nephew?

I really want to know if SpaceX birthday party is a theme, or a party at SpaceX offices.

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 15, 2019

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

You don't need to know it. It's just something I can't imagine not knowing. Same with grandparents' birth years, and parents' graduation years.
Both of these examples seem even less likely to know than parents’ age. Especially your parents’ graduation year - when does that even come up in casual conversation?

I mean, I could probably figure it out based on their ages and an assumed “people graduate high school at 18 and college at like 22-ish?” and do the subtraction, but in terms of actually off the cuff knowing without needing to think about it? Nope.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Dec 15, 2019

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My parents couldn't afford birthday parties for each other. I'm not trying to turn this into the Monty Python Yorkshiremen sketch, but I think there may be a class/wealth factor at play here.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Behold, the platonic ideal of the doormat.

AITA for letting someone sit in my seat at the theatre?

quote:

I went to watch a play with my girlfriend last night. We got there 10 minutes early and took our seats, which were next to the aisle (I was on the aisle, my girlfriend next to me). I went to the bathroom, but there was a line so by the time I got back it was about to start. As I was walking to my seat they turned the lights off to start the play and I watched a guy probably in his 60s who was standing rush to sit down in my seat next to my girlfriend. My girlfriend has pretty bad anxiety so wouldn't have the confidence to say anything to him. I saw her look behind her and panic a little so I made eye contact with her. I looked around for somewhere else to sit since the play was starting and everyone had gone quiet but the theatre was full. There was one seat but it was in the middle of the row and I would've had to go past like 10 people to get to it. I didn't want to make a scene by forcing this guy out of his seat so I just went to the back of the theatre and stood and watched the play.

After just over an hour there was an intermission. This guy stood up, probably to go to the bathroom, so I went and sat back next to my girlfriend. She was kind of annoyed and panicky so I explained what happened. She said I should've just asked the guy to move, but I said that it was starting and I didn't want to make a scene. The guy came back five minutes later and shoved my shoulder and asked angrily why I was in his seat. I said that it was my seat and offered to show my ticket. He stormed off without saying anything else. A minute later he came back with a staff member and was complaining pretty loudly to her that I was in his seat. I didn't want to get kicked out of the theatre or cause any trouble or anything so I just apologized and got up. I went and sat in that empty seat that was in the middle of one of the rows and watched the rest of the play.

I met up with my girlfriend at the end and she refused to speak to me until we got back home. She was pissed. She says I should've stood my ground, but I didn't want to annoy that guy or the staff member. If he wants to sit in that seat then sure he can have it, I don't really mind it's just a seat. He bought a ticket just like me and he deserves a seat. She says I ruined our date and she just wanted to spend time with me. I wanted to spend time with her as well but I think it was just unfortunate how it worked out.

Am I really the rear end in a top hat here?

quote:

I did offer to show him my ticket but he just stormed off and got an usher. I'm not gonna argue with an usher, that's an rear end in a top hat move for sure.

quote:

He paid for a seat as well. He would've needed a ticket to even get in to the theatre. I didn't feel I had the right to move him out of a seat he paid for.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Propaniac posted:

Both him and his girlfriend are huge weiners

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

You don't need to know it. It's just something I can't imagine not knowing. Same with grandparents' birth years, and parents' graduation years.

This one's easy because neither of my parents graduated high school! I'm with you on parents age though. I'm not super close to them but I at least call on their birthday and knowing the year seems to go hand in hand with the day and month.

Blood Nightmaster posted:

so these people met during a one night stand when she was 18 and he was a 42-year-old virgin?

Oh drat I was laughing at the dude calling it "the deed" like a child and completely missed the "first time" part. That just brings a whole new level to the post.

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

Tanith posted:

I (19F) dated a girl (26F) for a month and then broke it off. I think the same girl and my dad (40sM) are now dating

:c00l:

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Sunswipe posted:

My parents couldn't afford birthday parties for each other. I'm not trying to turn this into the Monty Python Yorkshiremen sketch, but I think there may be a class/wealth factor at play here.

celebrating someone's birthday doesn't have to cost any money at all, you can just say happy birthday and make sure they don't have to make their own cups of tea for the day

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Hughlander posted:

AITA for cutting off my father if he skips my wedding to go on vacation with his new wife/step kids?

Lucrece posted:

I had to find this and read through the comments. I absolutely LOVE this one from OP.....

Plus, dad is paying for half of the wedding!

Look, she owes her dad, her stepmom, and her half-siblings nothing, blood doesn't automatically make family, etc etc. It may even be emotionally healthier for her to cut her dad out of her life.

But poo poo girl, you snub his family from the wedding and then send a tell-all email blasting 10 year old kids while he's paying for half the wedding. This isn't him abandoning you, this is him protecting his family from you.

Tanith posted:

I (19F) dated a girl (26F) for a month and then broke it off. I think the same girl and my dad (40sM) are now dating

Lol. Not nearly as good as the time when a guy started dating his ex-gf's dad after she left him for another man. Or even better, that time a woman found her bf and her dad's public kinky twitter account.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
I know how old people are because they talk about how old they were for the moon landing or 9/11 or "Jaws" came out or the local team won the championship

these are like passing conversations I have with coworkers whose names I am not entirely sure of, I don't know how knowing someone's age is class-based

it's also like semi-public information and/or used for identifying purposes

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ulex minor posted:

celebrating someone's birthday doesn't have to cost any money at all, you can just say happy birthday and make sure they don't have to make their own cups of tea for the day

O...k. Thanks for adding that?

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
AITA for mistreating a girl, leading to my entire social life collapsing?

quote:

Last year around this time I met a girl in class, and immediately began to flirt with her. I had no real intentions of ever dating her, but anytime I was drunk I would act like I did, and over the course of a few weeks I basically gave her the idea that I was interested in her and that we were becoming an item in my eyes, neither of which was true. Anyways, I invited her and her friends to come over to the rental shared by me and my roommates a few times, and the strangest thing happened: she and her friends became very close platonic friends with my roommates.

From them, she not only heard that I was leading her on, but a few extremely inappropriate comments made by me about her also found their way back to her ears. Her and her friends were absolutely livid about it, and have refused to ever spend any time whatsoever with me since then, treating me with almost tangible hostility when they see me. This would be fine-but my roommates are best friends with them, and they all hang out almost every night. A month or two back, I finally had enough of this, and told my roommates that I was tired of them not sticking up for me in that group and constantly leaving our house to hang out with them and excluding me. They reacted very negatively to this, not speaking to me for weeks, and actually made plans to sign a new lease with 3 of my other friends (who I thought would stick up for me to make sure I didn’t have to live on my own next year).

At this point, all stemming from one minor incident of me being mean to a girl, I have no close friends left (my 3 current roommates and their new 3 roommates were previously my best friends), and a large group of popular girls despises me and openly trashes me to anyone who will listen.

So what does Reddit think? Am I in the wrong? Or is everyone else-my current roommates, my other 3 friends, and this girl and her friends-the real villains?

quote:

INFO: Why did you decide to treat someone like poo poo?

The consensus here is already overwhelmingly against me, so I might as well be honest about it: a mixture of hormones acting up when I drink, finding it funny, and being bored. Frankly, it’s not really a new thing for me, and usually I don’t suffer any consequences, so I thought I would get away with it this time too. When put that way, I really am the rear end in a top hat.

Transmogrifier fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 15, 2019

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Transmogrifier posted:

AITA for mistreating a girl, leading to my entire social life collapsing?

I always like a happy ending

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Why would you ever think you were in the right in that position?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I think he knew it was wrong but felt like it wasn't that big of a thing (since he'd never had consequences), and didn't understand how being 'a little bit mean to a girl' could lead to his whole social life collapsing. he probably thought everyone was over-reacting.

he's an idiot and i'm glad they all bailed and he learned a lesson. this is why sticking by your friends when they're being trash is bad for both of you.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I invited a woman and her friends into my life for the sole purpose of dunking on her. Only they got along great with my roommates and now everyone has realized they’re better off without me. Oops.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
I didn't think there would be any consequences because there usually aren't any :shrug:

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Sunswipe posted:

O...k. Thanks for adding that?

you seem to think having a birthday is a rich person thing, your parents just sound odd. might as well just add 'must be a class thing' to every conceivable quirk. you prefer swings to roundabouts? probably because you're poor.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
AITA for boycotting Christmas with my in-laws until our dogs are also allowed to come?

quote:

Keeping this short. Husband and I (23 and 21) have two dogs that we love and have had for 3 years now.

MIL and FIL invited us to spend Christmas with them this year (we’ve done it with my parents all 4 years). Only issue is MIL hates animals and banned our dogs. This is a no go for me. I’m not 1) boarding my dogs on Christmas Day, 2) spending Christmas without them or 3) buying presents for my husband’s siblings and their kids when our little family isn’t even allowed to attend.

I feel like this is fair. I get that they see them as mere animals but our dogs are honestly like children to me and my husband (both childfree). You don’t have to agree with that but that’s how we choose to live. I’m just asking them to respect it.

Husband is distressed I’ve essentially said no to the whole thing. He thinks we could leave them with a sitter. I said no he can go and I’ll stay home with the dogs who’ll actually appreciate me. I’m also not budging for future years so this is their decision to make.

MIL/FIL don’t know we’re not coming yet but I’m planning on telling them on Tuesday. AITA?

You saw it coming, didn't you?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Propaniac posted:

the old guy has tremendous boomer energy, but the one right thing OP did was not make things hard for the usher. don't bring service workers into your little spats people.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

So when you have a birthday party for her, you just don't even know which one she's celebrating? You don't know how old she was when you were born? I can't imagine not knowing this stuff.

Many moons ago, there was a story in here about someone calling to report their mother missing, and failed miserably because they couldn't give the cops any identifying information, including not knowing her mother's age/birthdate.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

carry on then posted:

the old guy has tremendous boomer energy, but the one right thing OP did was not make things hard for the usher. don't bring service workers into your little spats people.

All he had to do was show the usher his ticket. He wasn't the one making things for the usher, rear end in a top hat old man was.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

All he had to do was show the usher his ticket. He wasn't the one making things for the usher, rear end in a top hat old man was.

That story is the most pathetic thing I've read in a while.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

FoolyCharged posted:

It's considerate the back down when it's apparent you're forcing someone else into a potentially violent confrontation as part of their job

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

carry on then posted:

It's considerate the back down when it's apparent you're forcing someone else into a potentially violent confrontation as part of their job

Lmao @ potentially violent confrontation during a play.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Pinecone Sample posted:

AITA for boycotting Christmas with my in-laws until our dogs are also allowed to come?

You saw it coming, didn't you?

imagine how hurt the dogs would be, to be boarded on CHRISTMAS of all days!

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Are the child free dog people even gone for the whole day? Because you can just put the dogs out in the am and cut the visit with the in-laws short to take care of them in the evening.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

carry on then posted:

What? No, dealing with that kind of poo poo is literally what the dude is being payed for. People mix up where they're sitting all the time. If he looked like he was getting violent the dudes job would be to back off and call security to deal with it.

E: and seriously, you continue to put the responsibility for the old guys bad behavior on the dude being wronged by the old fart.

E2: gently caress, just saw who I was responding to.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 15, 2019

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

carry on then posted:

It's literally the ushers job. He gets paid and is experienced with this exact situation.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I really wonder why so many goons think basically any kind of confrontation is about to pop off and get physically violent.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really wonder why so many goons think basically any kind of confrontation is about to pop off and get physically violent.

You never know when you'll run into Fight Man. That dude really gets around

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Dazerbeams posted:

Are the child free dog people even gone for the whole day? Because you can just put the dogs out in the am and cut the visit with the in-laws short to take care of them in the evening.
I was wondering the same thing - given her “but my doggies can’t be alone on Christmas” and “if my dogs aren’t welcome then we aren’t welcome” attitude, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s just across town and could easily just leave the dogs at home.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

MagusofStars posted:

I was wondering the same thing - given her “but my doggies can’t be alone on Christmas” and “if my dogs aren’t welcome then we aren’t welcome” attitude, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s just across town and could easily just leave the dogs at home.
Yeah I definitely don't like leaving my dogs in their kennel too long during the day but if close enough she could easily pop by for a few hours without having to get someone else to drop by?

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

carry on then posted:

The guy who took the seat is the boomer, this guy’s got tremendous millennial energy

e: misread your post, point still stands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Lmao @ potentially violent confrontation during a play.

look who you're responding to