Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

stinch posted:

the state the project is in it would be a bit of a risk to use anybody else. they needed 100% shill 100% of the time. the old guard streamers might not have soured on the dream but they have soured on cig. I bet at this point all of them feel massively let down by chris. why risk it when they have rex?

Plus you give the most time to the best actor/actress on your payroll. ANything else would by just stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
To put a bit of perspective on how much star citizen has cost so far, you could relocate the entire temple complex at Abu Simbel for pretty much the same sum of money:

quote:

The salvage of the Abu Simbel temples began in 1964 by a multinational team of archeologists, engineers and skilled heavy equipment operators working together under the UNESCO banner; it cost some US$40 million at the time (equal to $300 million in 2017 dollars). Between 1964 and 1968, the entire site was carefully cut into large blocks (up to 30 tons, averaging 20 tons), dismantled, lifted and reassembled in a new location 65 metres higher and 200 metres back from the river, in one of the greatest challenges of archaeological engineering in history

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

So a punch does about the same damage as a starships laser cannon, sweet. That seems balanced.

Commando is just punching above his weight.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Dwesa posted:

He surely punches above his weight.

Yea I knew it, was an easy one.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017
M$ Outlook must have a new feature.
The latest email from CI no G was put in a SCAM folder.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Creed Reunion Tour posted:

To put a bit of perspective on how much star citizen has cost so far, you could relocate the entire temple complex at Abu Simbel for pretty much the same sum of money:

almost as cool as what ryker did in gargoyles

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Megalobster posted:

I love it when tax payers backed public service """""""""""""journalists""""""""""""" are doing infomercials that promote revisionist history on a scam project, giving a voice only to the approved shills. The intern working on this probably didn't even read the Forbes article.

Good job BBC.

BBC World service is the commercial arm, not the state funded broadcaster arm. CIG almost certainly paid for that, probably as part of their "Look we're totally making a British game give us some more tax credits" plans.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

peter gabriel posted:

░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▐░░░░░░
░░░░░░▄▄▄░░▄██▄░░░░░
░░░░░▐▀█▀▌░░░░▀█▄░░░
░░░░░▐█▄█▌░░░░░░▀█▄░
░░░░░░▀▄▀░░░▄▄▄▄▄▀▀░
░░░░▄▄▄██▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░
░░░█▀▄▄▄█░▀▀░░░░░░░░
░░░▌░▄▄▄▐▌▀▀▀░░░░░░░
▄░▐░░░▄▄░█░▀▀░░░░░░░ U HAVE BEEN DESKELETONISED BY THE
▀█▌░░░▄░▀█▀░▀░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░▄▄▐▌▄▄░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░▀███▀█░▄░░░░░
░░░░░░▐▌▀▄▀▄▀▐▄░░░░░ STIMPIRE
░░░░░▐▀░░░░░░▐▌░░░░░
░░░░░░█░░░░░░░░█░░░░
░░░░░▐▌░░░░░░░░░█░░░
░░░░░█░░░░░░░░░░▐▌░░ QUOTE THIS TO BE REFACTORED

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

History Comes Inside! posted:

BBC World service is the commercial arm, not the state funded broadcaster arm. CIG almost certainly paid for that, probably as part of their "Look we're totally making a British game give us some more tax credits" plans.

But the real burning question is this: was the article paid for using the Calders marketing budget or the backer's everything-goes-towards-development money?

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Rugganovich posted:

M$ Outlook must have a new feature.
The latest email from CI no G was put in a SCAM folder.

Microsoft working hard to protect you!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Vegas odds of Star Citizen releasing and being the best drat space sim ever is 71369q964289365 to 1

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Vegas odds of Star Citizen releasing and being the best drat space sim ever is 71369q964289365 to 1

That's false because that would still means that a video game named star citizen is actively being developed.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
ITS VEGAS BABY

*Eats a playing card with a half-naked girl named "Cindy Starlight" on it*

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin

Beet Wagon posted:

So a punch does about the same damage as a starships laser cannon, sweet. That seems balanced.

You're not a mod anymore Beet? :ohdear:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Zadda posted:

You're not a mod anymore Beet? :ohdear:

No, I voluntarily stepped down due to some disagreements with the admin team. It had nothing to do with Star Citizen though, and the thread is safe in the very capable hands of VideoGames, Reene, and Palpek.

And now that I'm not spending every waking moment reading reports, I'll have more time for shitposting!

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

One in the Bum posted:

But the real burning question is this: was the article paid for using the Calders marketing budget or the backer's everything-goes-towards-development money?

Yes.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

VideoGames, Reene, and Palpek.

What the gently caress are that ? Is at least one of them a Dr. Smart alt ?

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Zzr posted:

What the gently caress are that ? Is at least one of them a Dr. Smart alt ?

All three are Derek. As am I. And you, obviously.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

apparently in the test server for 3.8 quantum travel speeds have been greatly increased and Citizens are actually asking for it to be turned down again?
is this true?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://gfycat.com/waterydecentflyingfox-squadron42starcitizen

in which a Citizen finds out that CIG hasn't invented LODs yet

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now

Inacio posted:

I think you mean Automatic Range Schedule Engine, aka ARSE, which is like LOD, but CI really reinvented the wheel with it, no one has done it before. It's in the pipeline and soon to be Tier 0.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Inacio posted:

That looks like regular Speedtrees pop-in. It's not so much that CI¬G hasn't invented LODs — it's that the fancy feature they made so much hay of in the presentation is just a commercial plugin for their engine.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:reddit: [Sq42 Concern] This doesn't look right ... I really really really hope it's just me worrying too much ...

Squadron 42 Chapters Progress Comparison (2018-12-21 and 2019-12-13)

So, first of all, I want to thank u/Odysseus-Ithaca for his or her continuous and studious work on making the roadmap more clear and readable by putting them inside one single diagram.

I'm currently using this thankworthy citizen's great works to show you guys what has changed in the chapter progress section of the Squadron 42 roadmap since CIG first announced it back on Dec 21st, 2018.

Well, obviously they delayed the Beta release for a quarter, which is understandable. But look at what they accomplished in 2018Q4. They planned THREE Whitebox Narrative and TWO Whitebox Playable (which has already been done when the roadmap released). They finished only ONE Whitebox Narrative and delayed the others.

If you think that's normal, you should take a look at 2019Q1. They planned EIGHT Whitebox Narrative, TWELVE Whitebox Playable, and TWO Greybox. What do we have now? SEVEN Whitebox Narrative and THREE Whitebox Playable. Over half of 2019Q1's work was delayed.

Now we're embracing Alpha 3.8 in PU's part, the fourth quarter of the year 2019 is coming to an end. But as you can see, the roadmap of Squadron 42 still shows "2019Q3 in progress" (not to mention they left tons of works unfinished in 2019Q2). Maybe it's just them forgetting to update the roadmap? I hope so, though it still doesn't explain those suspicious delays. But still, I wish for the best.

Before CitizenCon, some people were concerning why the roadmap hasn't been updated much for the passed half of the year. Others argued that there would be Sq42 news on CitCon. CitCon passed, no Sq42, and some say we should wait for Christmas Holiday Livestream.

We will all see what it turns out to be when they stream that holiday livestream. All I can do is pray, that whatever CIG is keeping secret from us, it's a piece of big good news. After all, my flair says "GIB SQ42", and I truly want an epic (not Epic!) story-driven space adventure game, just as great as what CIG has delivered in Star Citizen.

TL;DR: We need answers on Squadron 42's progress, CIG!

FYI:

Whitebox Narrative: Setting up the key moments, conversations and scenes to understand their layout and flow. This phase won’t include the full functionality of the various systems, but this is meant to give an understanding of the general pacing and layout of the environment and story.

Whitebox Playable: Taking the approved Whitebox Narrative and building the systems into the chapter, so the team is able to play through in a complete flow as opposed to a rough flow and encounters. We will sometimes use placeholder systems or flowgraphs if the features are still in development. They will be replaced as these systems start to come online.

Greybox: This version of the chapter will include all the primary and ancillary story moments and character interactions. The environments will be moving closer to a final look and feel. Any features or mechanics that have come online will be integrated into the flow. Design will have prototyped any kind of boss fight and combat encounters. At this point in the development, the level will now present a relatively complete feel and the teams will start to balance the experience.

Production: In this phase, the chapter will be brought to a releasable state. All our mechanics will be finished and implemented. The team will focus on ensuring level stability for all gameplay, player actions, and branches. Our required feature set should now be complete and art will be near final.

Polish: The purpose of the Polish phase is to finish up any remaining details and improve the overall player experience. Delivering total stability is a huge priority in this phase. Any refinements, last minute feedback, optimizations or bugs will also be tackled here.

:ohdear:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

No, I voluntarily stepped down due to some disagreements with the admin team. It had nothing to do with Star Citizen though, and the thread is safe in the very capable hands of VideoGames, Reene, and Palpek.

And now that I'm not spending every waking moment reading reports, I'll have more time for shitposting!
And hopefully more Kayak posting :D

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The memes are becoming self-aware.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
This idea of "recruiting" new players seems to be really prevalent in Star Citizen. I can only imagine that this is because they're trying to flesh out the peasant class of players that will man their mega-yachts.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

quote:

This is so true. I guess veteran players know how to work around most bugs while for new players they pose an obstacle impossible to overcome. A few examples:

"The ladder killed me." (Tip: Don't move during animations)

lmfao

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Fidelitious posted:

This idea of "recruiting" new players seems to be really prevalent in Star Citizen. I can only imagine that this is because they're trying to flesh out the peasant class of players that will man their mega-yachts.

Nah, they have a referral program that gets you shiny things the more people you refer

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Fidelitious posted:

I guess there is a drought of new marks for their scam. Yesterday I played some Elite and there was some backer propagating SC in a heavily populated system starting with 'I am surprised to see so many players, because 3.8 ptu of SC was recently released' and then tried to convince people to try it, but everyone else responded with various versions of 'It's a buggy scam with 800$ ships'.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Store Citizer: Tip; Don't move during animations

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Exinos posted:

Store Citizer: Tip; Don't

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Quavers posted:

Before CitizenCon, some people were concerning why the roadmap hasn't been updated much for the passed half of the year. Others argued that there would be Sq42 news on CitCon. CitCon passed, no Sq42, and some say we should wait for Christmas Holiday Livestream.

We will all see what it turns out to be when they stream that holiday livestream. All I can do is pray, that whatever CIG is keeping secret from us, it's a piece of big good news. After all, my flair says "GIB SQ42", and I truly want an epic (not Epic!) story-driven space adventure game, just as great as what CIG has delivered in Star Citizen

Gotta love these people who forget there was no holiday livestream last year and that SQ42 was only featured in one previous holiday livestream.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:reddit: The count I like is how many phases CIG expected to finish vs how many they have finished.

CIG released the Squadron 42 roadmap in late Q4 2018.
At the time, they had 21 chapter phases scheduled for completion within the next quarter (Q1).
Four quarters later, 13 of those phases remain unfinished.

CIG has only completed 8 out of the 74 chapter phases originally scheduled for 2019.

:tif:

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

this is good for star citizen

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Quavers posted:

:reddit: The count I like is how many phases CIG expected to finish vs how many they have finished.

CIG released the Squadron 42 roadmap in late Q4 2018.
At the time, they had 21 chapter phases scheduled for completion within the next quarter (Q1).
Four quarters later, 13 of those phases remain unfinished.

CIG has only completed 8 out of the 74 chapter phases originally scheduled for 2019.

:tif:

Also see our discussion earlier in this thread about how whitebox narrative and playable are complete ill-defined bullshit, so as no chapters have completed greybox, it's debatable that they've really got anything done at all.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fidelitious posted:

i think its also because everything is thought backwards with this project. cause and effect is just swapped. a big player base means the game is great.

its the same with: money made, the convention, you tube videos. everything which is usually the RESULT of a great game is forced onto store citizer. because then the game must turn out great, ey?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tippis posted:

That looks like regular Speedtrees pop-in. It's not so much that CI¬G hasn't invented LODs — it's that the fancy feature they made so much hay of in the presentation is just a commercial plugin for their engine.

Like... that's his point? Of loving course its speedtrees pop-in, what else would it be?

You're completely misunderstanding Tippis.

Like, yeah, he's saying "wow look at all that pop-in, that's ugly"

There's many ways to not have all that pop-in. LOD solutions are one approach. That's his point. They don't necessarily need to implement LODs to fix that and it doesn't mean nothing in the game has LODs, but gently caress its so easy to know what he meant. The game looks like rear end. It shouldn't look like that.

There's plenty of very easy ways to not have everything look that rear end. If you think that because you're using speedtrees you have to have pop-in, that's extremely wrong.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fidelitious posted:

Its more that Star Citizen is an MLM scheme and they have to get new people to bring fresh cash in to keep the project's lights on. Thus the scam.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Beet Wagon posted:

Well, that's not good. You have always been the voice of reason.
This will confuse the Star Citizen community.

Question.
Can we make up a fake reason for you not being Mod anymore?
Like, you decided to buy back in to Star Citizen, because the latest patch persuaded you the project was amazing and Derek Smart was completely wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dogeh posted:

Well, that's not good. You have always been the voice of reason.
This will confuse the Star Citizen community.

Question.
Can we make up a fake reason for you not being Mod anymore?
Like, you decided to buy back in to Star Citizen, because the latest patch persuaded you the project was amazing and Derek Smart was completely wrong?

:ssh: