Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

A game taking place in an office could be interesting, especially if you tied it into that ‘backrooms’ creepypasta thing.

Yuppie Psycho did some decent office horror but the game kind of falls apart towards the end I feel. Some good aesthetic though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Yuppie Psycho's pretty great.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
There was that unity horror game about being in the office after hours with some weird lady ghost that was janky but had some good spooks using creepy printouts from the office copier and poo poo.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Catfishenfuego posted:

There was that unity horror game about being in the office after hours with some weird lady ghost that was janky but had some good spooks using creepy printouts from the office copier and poo poo.

One Late Night is probably what you're thinking of, it's pretty cool, they made a sequel that was much worse also.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Lifeglug posted:

Though it's a multiplayer game without any matchmaking at present, so that's not a great start to be honest.

Its fine for a game where it is best if you group with people you know. Not that having mm would be wrong tho!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The_Doctor posted:

A game taking place in an office could be interesting, especially if you tied it into that ‘backrooms’ creepypasta thing.
The Stanley Parable.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Mindblast posted:

Its fine for a game where it is best if you group with people you know. Not that having mm would be wrong tho!

It will have it, it’s on the list of future features, but as someone without a group of people to play with, the game is unplayable, so refunded it and went back for another play through of REmake 2.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yuppie Psycho did some decent office horror but the game kind of falls apart towards the end I feel. Some good aesthetic though.

Yuppie Psycho is definitely closest in tone to the Ligotti stuff I've been reading . Strongly recommend him to anyone with a passion for horror and eerie feelings about capitalism, by the way -- two standout short stories for me were "The Town Manager" and "Our Temporary Supervisor". Really captures the horror and absurdity of being a cog in a machine with a purpose you can't comprehend. It's like if lovecraft's elder gods were LLCs; here's a quote I really like:

quote:

“The company that employed me strived only to serve up the cheapest fare that its customers would tolerate, churn it out as fast as possible, and charge as much as they could get away with. If it were possible to do so, the company would sell what all businesses of its kind dream about selling, creating that which all our efforts were tacitly supposed to achieve: the ultimate product – Nothing. And for this product they would command the ultimate price – Everything. This market strategy would then go on until one day, among the world-wide ruins of derelict factories and warehouses and office buildings, there stood only a single, shining, windowless structure with no entrance and no exit. Inside would be – will be – only a dense network of computers calculating profits. Outside will be tribes of savage vagrants with no comprehension of the nature or purpose of the shining, windowless structure. Perhaps they will worship it as a god. Perhaps they will try to destroy it, their primitive armory proving wholly ineffectual against the smooth and impervious walls of the structure, upon which not even a scratch can be inflicted.”

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

goferchan posted:

Yuppie Psycho is definitely closest in tone to the Ligotti stuff I've been reading . Strongly recommend him to anyone with a passion for horror and eerie feelings about capitalism, by the way -- two standout short stories for me were "The Town Manager" and "Our Temporary Supervisor". Really captures the horror and absurdity of being a cog in a machine with a purpose you can't comprehend. It's like if lovecraft's elder gods were LLCs; here's a quote I really like:

I only just read Town Manager, it's really good. Red Tower is cool too if you're reading the same collection as me. Nothing hits the same heights of Town Manager tho the story about the evil puppet got me a little

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Section Z posted:

Which could be it's own form of crushing isolation. If you are just that one guy that keeps getting ordered to scout or loot tiles. While everyone else researches The Cure, fend off the big push hordes, puts a stop to doomsday cultists opening portals to hell, and all the other more impressive looking aspects of the apocalypse while you are stuck with the nine to five. "Look, SOMEBODY has to sort these cans of beans between Vegan and Not Vegan"
Kind of by default, everyone who makes it that far into a zombie apocalypse alive is an exceptional individual just for surviving. Personally, I think it's why certain types of nerds are so attracted to the idea - they get to be special just for living.

Interesting theme for a parody of the genre, though.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Mindblast posted:

I dunno man, it's bad enough playing it with you and other people I already know, I think playing it with randoms would be about as much fun and hammering nails into my face. It's extremely unforgiving and you really really HAVE to coordinate closely with everyone else or things go sideways super fast, you waste all your ammo and then you're dead. It's like Payday on the higher skill settings where everyone has to know what they're doing and time it right or you're doomed.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Multiplayer for horror games is universally bad no matter who you play with or what you're playing. You can't get five people into the same conversation cracking jokes and being immature asses and still expect anything to be scary.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I keep having these day dreams about a slasher game that plays out like Hitman.

Unfortunately the single player aspect of Friday the 13th was kinda janky and a pain in the rear end because you can't skip the cutscenes, but I want a whole game like that.

There would be distinct playstyles too. Either with a hulking, killer like Jason where you could just disable exits by ruining cars and phonelines and maybe picking off one or two teens as they amble about the map before scattering the rest of the revellers and hunting them down one by one. You'd be able to soak up a lot of damage to make up for the fact you've got little to no ability to hide

You'd have the Ghostface style too where you have a disguise system in play. You can move freely about most of the map without alarming anyone in order to engineer events, set traps and isolate people. But then you have to put on your mask/costume in order to actually fulfil the kill. And, being just a regular-rear end person if you're caught out you get your rear end kicked/killed easily.

I was told in the F13 thread that what I'm thinking of here isn't strictly "Giallo" but whenever I think of Giallo films I always imagine a killer who can just magically do poo poo to make kills look wild and neat. Like they chase someone up some stairs only to burst through a skylight a few moments later. No idea how exactly this playstyle would be balanced, but this one would be pure stealth with the ability to "warp" into things like, say, windows or under beds or into trees from which you'd leap and surprise victims.

In my dream scenario you could customise your killers, masks and kill styles etc.

I'll make it one day... when I win a few million on the lottery. Hah. Until then it's time to fire up Hitman 2 and dress up like a clown and empty a few maps. :black101:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The thought of a Wild West horror game just makes me think of Blood Meridian, but as a horror game. Or maybe a horror game where you play as one of the indigenous peoples and you're being hunted down, though I'd imagine that might be too controversial and I don't have faith that concept would be handled well.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Multiplayer for horror games is universally bad no matter who you play with or what you're playing. You can't get five people into the same conversation cracking jokes and being immature asses and still expect anything to be scary.

Killing Floor was spooky at times, mainly when it was perfectly reenacting that moment in some zombie movies where the cast is holding their own against the undead masses but then something in your team breaks and you're all suddenly separated and splintered off from one another for one reason or another and now you're desperately trying to fight your way back to them while dealing with the fact that you just cannot handle all of the zeds on your own.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Drunken Baker posted:

I keep having these day dreams about a slasher game that plays out like Hitman.
Naughty Bear: Panic in Paradise lets you steal disguises, set deadly traps, rip faces off unique NPCs to wear them, injure and mutilate teddy bears to make them commit suicide in view of others, setting off chain reactions of madness.

Original ESRB Rating: E10+

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

SelenicMartian posted:

Naughty Bear: Panic in Paradise lets you steal disguises, set deadly traps, rip faces off unique NPCs to wear them, injure and mutilate teddy bears to make them commit suicide in view of others, setting off chain reactions of madness.

Original ESRB Rating: E10+

I loving loved that game! Hahaha.

Also

I know people scream about how you should never be able to fight back against cosmic horror and whilst I agree in theory I'd try and come up with some compromise if they ever did something like Undead Nightmare but made it, I dunno, Undreamed Nightmare.

Picture racing across the plains as a storm roiled above you and through the clouds you see a churning sea of flesh as something passes by, just skirting out reality. And, Roadside Picnic style, this passing God has left fragments of itself behind. Just fragments that gently caress things up. And perhaps, story-wise cults spring up looking to bring that God back which would destroy the world. idk.

I'd just like to see weird loving horrors instead of Vampires, which I think was hinted at before Rockstar denounced single player DLC in favour of multiplayer.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Shady Amish Terror posted:

-Just once I'd like to see a game where you're a clown, you're a good guy, and it's everything around you that's hosed up and seething with internal darkness.

i know it's not really a horror game but Dropsy The Clown

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Killing Floor was spooky at times, mainly when it was perfectly reenacting that moment in some zombie movies where the cast is holding their own against the undead masses but then something in your team breaks and you're all suddenly separated and splintered off from one another for one reason or another and now you're desperately trying to fight your way back to them while dealing with the fact that you just cannot handle all of the zeds on your own.
Fair enough, I personally just wouldn't call that horror, more of a tense action movie moment.

The Splash
May 30, 2011

I'll never say hole again.

Cardiovorax posted:

+1 on Killing Floor as a good example of pulling multiplayer horror off well. Left 4 Dead was also pretty fun and freaky when not set to an easy difficulty, for similar reasons.
When a game needs real players on both "sides" it makes the experience too heavily dependent on who you can wrangle to play at any given time. Random online play is always a mess and playing with friends on both sides isn't scary (not that it isn't fun, just not scary).

ulex minor posted:

That game was great.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Section Z posted:

If you are just that one guy that keeps getting ordered to scout or loot tiles. While everyone else researches The Cure, fend off the big push hordes, puts a stop to doomsday cultists opening portals to hell, and all the other more impressive looking aspects of the apocalypse while you are stuck with the nine to five.

In Dead of Winter, a board game about surviving a zombie apocalypse, one survivor almost always ends up sticking around the base constantly performing the "clean trash" action to ensure you don't lose morale because the garbage is piling up too high. Dead of Winter has all sorts of issues that keep it from clicking with every group, though.

Also re: Wild West Horror, it is perpetually crazy to me how under-utilized the Deadlands setting is.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 16, 2019

The Splash
May 30, 2011

Boxman posted:

In Dead of Winter, a board game about surviving a zombie apocalypse, one survivor almost always ends up sticking around the base constantly performing the "clean trash" action to ensure you don't lose morale because the garbage is piling up too high.
Until someone gets bit on their way back to base. :v: Ah, those screams.

I finally saw The Thing and now I'm craving more games where you're a hapless nobody doing menial work suddenly fleeing from an unknown inhuman terror.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

ulex minor posted:

I mean, I guess that's on the right track, though not exactly a horror setting with a hardboiled clown trying to survive. Dropsy is too goddamned innocent and pure, the lad just wants hugs and ice cream bars.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I mean, I guess that's on the right track, though not exactly a horror setting with a hardboiled clown trying to survive. Dropsy is too goddamned innocent and pure, the lad just wants hugs and ice cream bars.

you're right, also the idea of a hardboiled clown is so intriguing i had to google it and apart from my search trying to autocomplete to 'hardboiled clown eggs' there is also a book out there titled 'Honk Honk, My Darling'

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

ulex minor posted:

you're right, also the idea of a hardboiled clown is so intriguing i had to google it and apart from my search trying to autocomplete to 'hardboiled clown eggs' there is also a book out there titled 'Honk Honk, My Darling'

https://www.amazon.com/No-One-Laughs-Dead-Clown/dp/1450556191

There is also this book, written by Gabriel Knight himself!

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

this feels like one of those 'every snowflake is unique' miracles of nature

The Splash
May 30, 2011

quote:

Dean appeared in five episodes of Frasier
:aaaaa:
Somehow that felt less likely than Tim Curry.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Discendo Vox posted:

The devs have indicated they have more enemies prepped for release. I am concerned that multiple statements from them make it sound like they've not got a clear monetization path.

I thought the idea was just cosmetics? Regardless, 4 player co-ops are rare enough that my group will buy them pretty much on principle at this point.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Fil5000 posted:

I dunno man, it's bad enough playing it with you

Rude :v:

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

FirstAidKite posted:

Related, some unexpected but insanely good horror: Insurgency Sandstorm's Frenzy mode. It's like KF but instead of hyper bullet sponge zombie gameplay it's hyper one-shot zombie gameplay going both ways; it's the experience of being the guys in the first two minutes of the zombie movie manning a barricade who get instantly run over. It's so hard that I've never seen a game won.

When the team breaks and starts dying it actually looks like a horror movie because they seem to get cut down the instant you spectate them. It feels like KF but *for real* and even though the reloads aren't cartoonishly *realism* slow, it's still a huge source of tension. It's not technically a zombie game but it's the most enjoyable and challenging zombie game I've ever played.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I have always been and always will be a massive advocate for ‘Glass Cannon’ modes in any game with damage, where you kill and can BE killed in 1 to 3 hits, tops

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
working in a large cubicle farm can feel really isolating. oldschool fluorescent lights add to it. i used to work in an office park where half the buildings were empty and gutted. but you could cut through them to get to other areas and that was always unnerving, especially at night.
you could have weird poo poo happening out of the corner of your eye all the time in a game in that setting.

the old west and southern gothic have a lot of potential. any frontier setting would work well imo.
red dead redemption except it's blood meridian.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

The Splash posted:

:aaaaa:
Somehow that felt less likely than Tim Curry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eX-WqmEkFo

Pity he didn't do more acting. I quite like him here.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

dogstile posted:

I thought the idea was just cosmetics? Regardless, 4 player co-ops are rare enough that my group will buy them pretty much on principle at this point.

Come join the goon co-op discord, we're setting up channels and resources and groups for this stuff.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Section Z posted:

These both sound pretty interesting, though my intended pitch was for "Everyone is dealing with the apocalypse just fine without you", like once you get comfortable in the middle of a game of Rebuild or something.

Which could be it's own form of crushing isolation. If you are just that one guy that keeps getting ordered to scout or loot tiles. While everyone else researches The Cure, fend off the big push hordes, puts a stop to doomsday cultists opening portals to hell, and all the other more impressive looking aspects of the apocalypse while you are stuck with the nine to five. "Look, SOMEBODY has to sort these cans of beans between Vegan and Not Vegan"

Butler just trying to do his goddamned job while his master grows more and more tendrils that thirst for blood and bloody marys does sound loving amazing though :allears:

I actually like this idea for a horror game, I assume it would be like metro except way heavier on the isolation aspect of you crawling around trying not to get murdered on your quest for materials.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In bed thinking how eldritch horror is wasted on New England. Mothman is a loving byakhee and West Virginians still revere the superstitions, cmon.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

al-azad posted:

In bed thinking how eldritch horror is wasted on New England. Mothman is a loving byakhee and West Virginians still revere the superstitions, cmon.

Yeah I have driven through some old boarded up WV mining towns and they inspire a sense of dread that I've never felt anywhere else

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

Kind of by default, everyone who makes it that far into a zombie apocalypse alive is an exceptional individual just for surviving. Personally, I think it's why certain types of nerds are so attracted to the idea - they get to be special just for living.

Interesting theme for a parody of the genre, though.

Boxman posted:

In Dead of Winter, a board game about surviving a zombie apocalypse, one survivor almost always ends up sticking around the base constantly performing the "clean trash" action to ensure you don't lose morale because the garbage is piling up too high. Dead of Winter has all sorts of issues that keep it from clicking with every group, though.

Also re: Wild West Horror, it is perpetually crazy to me how under-utilized the Deadlands setting is.

Yeah, honestly the real trick would be turning a game focusing on that sort of thing into something beyond a parody of the genre alone.

Maybe some horrible, horrible cremation/incineration plant factorio? Really crank it up compared to something like Graveyard keeper.

Grapplejack posted:

I actually like this idea for a horror game, I assume it would be like metro except way heavier on the isolation aspect of you crawling around trying not to get murdered on your quest for materials.
"Hey, we need these shelves restocked"
"I JUST put the premium bullets in there!"
"Yeah, and the chosen one just bought all of them. Get to it."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Dec 18, 2019

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I wonder if you could make a comfy Stardew Valley/Harvest Moon game but you're tending to a farm in a word where eldrich abominations have taken over.

Pop down to the refugee camp and talk with the survivors who are getting by after they've invited the darkness into their hearts. Tend to your crops which are all horrible mutated living carrots that whisper in an alien tongue. Go down into the mines, which is just multiple layers of some fiend's stomach.

Comfy, chill and utterly revolting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Since we're spitballing, I once had an idea for a Stardew-like that took place in a dustbowl scenario, but there were demons of local myth you could make deals with to keep your farm prosperous. So instead of running around between plantings to give people gifts and get married, you'd be corrupting people and making sacrifices just to stay afloat. Or working extra hard to resist the temptations of evil.