Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i checked my copy of uzamaki, sounds are translated in the art (ie not on the sidelines), but his work doesn't really rely on that stuff yeah. its more atmospheric

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Looking for anime that's, uh, not too exciting but not too boring. Something I can watch an episode or two of when I can't sleep at 3am. I've used Endro and Dagashi Kashi for this before and this season's Rifle Is Beautiful has been pretty much exactly that.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

tanaka kun is listless
bocchi
azumanga daioh

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

UnfurledSails posted:

Looking for anime that's, uh, not too exciting but not too boring. Something I can watch an episode or two of when I can't sleep at 3am. I've used Endro and Dagashi Kashi for this before and this season's Rifle Is Beautiful has been pretty much exactly that.

Tanaka Kun is Always Listless is probably perfect for this.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

UnfurledSails posted:

Squid Girl

Tonari no Seki-kun

Teasing Master Takagi

Chio's School Road

Asobi Asobase

Dumbbells: How Many Kilos Can You Lift

Nichijou

All are goofy SoL shows and are fairly episodic.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

UnfurledSails posted:

Mushishi? Yurucamp?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

UnfurledSails posted:

If you liked Dagashi Kashi, your next stop on the "shows about mundane things" ride should be Restaurant to Another Universe.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Non Non Biyori will warm your heart. Or make you sing weird songs about frogs.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

doomrider7 posted:

Squid Girl

Tonari no Seki-kun

Teasing Master Takagi

Chio's School Road

Asobi Asobase

Dumbbells: How Many Kilos Can You Lift

Nichijou

All are goofy SoL shows and are fairly episodic.

I like Asobi Asobase a lot but it’s got enough yelling that this seems like a bad fit

I think natsume’s book of friends is pretty low key for a show about demons

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i used to watch the mushishi dub before going to sleep

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

UnfurledSails posted:

kino no tabi (2003). minus the two-parter that's mostly fighting it's pretty chill, even the other episodes that do have fighting have it as pretty short, matter of fact, and solemn.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Polar
Bear
Cafe

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

StandardVC10 posted:

Non Non Biyori will warm your heart. Or make you sing weird songs about frogs.
Anime King of the Hill is excellent.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
Neither of the links in the OP work anymore so here I go

Never watched anime (other than Disney type poo poo as a kid) because of the reputation of it, until two weeks ago. I started with Berserk, then Castlevania, then Attack on Titan.

Liked them all but none of them have conclusions. Are there any good completely finished anime of the same genre (I guess medieval fantasy? Or something similar)

Definitely not interested in high school drama or Dragonball Z type stuff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tehran 1979 posted:

Never watched anime (other than Disney type poo poo as a kid) because of the reputation of it, until two weeks ago. I started with Berserk, then Castlevania, then Attack on Titan.

Liked them all but none of them have conclusions. Are there any good completely finished anime of the same genre (I guess medieval fantasy? Or something similar)

Hellsing Ultimate is edgy as hell (the bad guys are the nazis, who are also the kkk) so be prepared for that, and it's not medieval, but if you like violent fantasy it's got vampires gunning each other down. it's finished.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Tehran 1979 posted:

Escaflowne is the first thing that came to mind

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Claymore kind of fits that mold too and its not terribly long.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax

Endorph posted:

Hellsing Ultimate is edgy as hell (the bad guys are the nazis, who are also the kkk) so be prepared for that, and it's not medieval, but if you like violent fantasy it's got vampires gunning each other down. it's finished.

Thanks, watching it now.

Allarion posted:

Escaflowne is the first thing that came to mind

2000 movie? Making sure I'm getting the right thing.

Furnaceface posted:

Claymore kind of fits that mold too and its not terribly long.

Got it to go after I'm done with the first two, thanks.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Tehran 1979 posted:

2000 movie? Making sure I'm getting the right thing.

1996 TV series. The movie is a stand-alone thing that isn't really related.

e: I'd also recommend Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit. Not as much action as some of the others, but it's very well written and tells a complete story.

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 22, 2019

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Escaflowne movie is also real bad outside of a couple of nicely animated fights and the soundtrack.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Sakurazuka posted:

The Escaflowne movie is also real bad outside of a couple of nicely animated fights and the soundtrack.

Wasn't the movie REALLY angsty in how it portrayed Hitomi?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Samurai Champloo if you want good fights and snazzy hip hop.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

doomrider7 posted:

Wasn't the movie REALLY angsty in how it portrayed Hitomi?

It’s an interesting alternate take, but pretty much yeah. What if instead of a very Shojo girl hitomi was a miserable turn of the century Japanese teen.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tehran 1979 posted:

Fullmetal alchemist brotherhood. It's a bit more lighthearted (most of the time) than the likes of berserk or attack on titan, but it's good as hell and a great introduction to anime as a medium. It also has a definitive ending rather than going on forever, which is good.

There's an older series of Fullmetal Alchemist that was made before the manga was anywhere near finished and you can tell, it has some good aspects(fleshing out some earlier stuff) but is generally regarded as inferior to brotherhood, which is the author's intended story, and the original can fairly safely be skipped in lieu of Brotherhood.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 23, 2019

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tehran 1979 posted:

It's not finished - the anime in particular will only wind up covering like, the first act, and even the manga isn't done yet - but I really recommend giving Vinland Saga a look at some point. The manga is an all-time favorite of mine, and the anime's very solid too.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Does anyone have recommendations for any anime that's exclusive to Amazon Prime?
I got a month of Prime before Christmas to get some presents delivered so I figured I might as well get some use out of it before it expires in a few weeks, but it's hard to even find out what's on the service.
The only things I've watched so far are Irozuku which I watched when I did the same thing last year, and I just started Psycho Pass 3.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

land of the lustrous, girls last tour, and princess principal are all good though i think they're not technically exclusive anymore in that hidive also has them now

dororo and vinland saga are both alright if you like bleak historical setting action/adventure stuff

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The marvelous miss maisel

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's really frustrating to try to find things on Prime and every time they change it somehow they make it worse. You can see what shows are streaming on what services on this site and they include a Prime chart which makes things a little easier. I was trying to find something that compiled everything they have into one list but you can just browse by season there and find things.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 27, 2019

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I think the new Blade of the Immortal is prime-exclusive. Breakneck pace aside I enjoyed it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for any anime that's exclusive to Amazon Prime?
I got a month of Prime before Christmas to get some presents delivered so I figured I might as well get some use out of it before it expires in a few weeks, but it's hard to even find out what's on the service.
The only things I've watched so far are Irozuku which I watched when I did the same thing last year, and I just started Psycho Pass 3.

Definitely Vinland saga, yeah

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Since I've finished Nana and read Solanin in the past week, are there any other other band-related tragic or at least extremely real shows or manga should I check out? I've also watched BECK so that's out, though I would probably see it again.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Check out Kids on the Slope & Given

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Detroit Metal City

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Everything Burrito posted:

Check out Kids on the Slope & Given
yeah, Kids on the Slope is extremely good, and I only read the manga, I can only imagine the anime is even better what with actually being able to portray the medium the series is based around.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Draxion posted:

Since I've finished Nana and read Solanin in the past week, are there any other other band-related tragic or at least extremely real shows or manga should I check out? I've also watched BECK so that's out, though I would probably see it again.

Kinds on the Slope would be a good fit.

Also if you enjoyed Solanin I would reccomend Inio Asano's other works, notably Oyasumi Punpun and What a Wonderful World!

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Cool, I've got both of those so I'll get around to checking them out. Reading punpun again would be too sad as opposed to just sad enough, but I haven't read What a Wonderful World yet.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I watched the first episode of Girls und Panzer and I thought it was pretty ok. I liked the reveal at the end that they are on a gigantic gently caress aircraft carrier. Is the rest of the series good? I thought the opening tank scene was pretty loving cool.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
GuP is the closest I feel an anime has ever gotten to the feeling of a 80s sports comedy movie. It's very consistently funny and absurd and characters are also a lot of fun and usually all have a moment or two or three to shine. It's very good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

SalTheBard posted:

I watched the first episode of Girls und Panzer and I thought it was pretty ok. I liked the reveal at the end that they are on a gigantic gently caress aircraft carrier. Is the rest of the series good? I thought the opening tank scene was pretty loving cool.

better