Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Heffer gets his dick sucked by a milking machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Moon Slayer posted:

I told you that in confidence.

This just shows why no moons want to gently caress you. Even inanimate objects know not to trust me with anything.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

it makes more sense if you realize that the Wacky Delly episode was true to life and that Joe Murray was trying desperately to have the show cancelled

his wife killed herself during the preproduction of Rocko and he basically tried to get it cancelled so he could get the time he needed to grieve and get his poo poo together.

all of the poo poo he pulled really made the show really popular, and they kept renewing it and he pushed away and gave up show running in season 3 to his assistant stephen hillebrand (who later created apongebob)

following season 3, they hit the number needed for syndication, and when Murray came back again demanding to be let go, the execs obliged and ended the series

Holy poo poo I knew that Wacky Delly was semi-autobiographical but I did not realize the real life personal issues behind the show, that sucks :( I definitely do not begrudge him the gently caress-you tone of the recent special (not that I did in the first place because it was funny, but it's extra warranted knowing the background and history behind the show.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Rocko movie is a bit weird with contemporary references since it basically sat on the shelf for two years before getting released.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Moon Slayer posted:

I say make "more like old ..." jokes bannable unless they are really funny. You take that shot you better not miss.

This emote :regd08: exists for a reason

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Straight White Shark posted:

Holy poo poo I knew that Wacky Delly was semi-autobiographical but I did not realize the real life personal issues behind the show, that sucks :( I definitely do not begrudge him the gently caress-you tone of the recent special (not that I did in the first place because it was funny, but it's extra warranted knowing the background and history behind the show.)

"hey we want to bring back your show that you tried desperately to get shitcanned"

"ok heres my pitch about revivals and just accepting change and not clinging to the past dipshits"

love it

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

it makes more sense if you realize that the Wacky Delly episode was true to life and that Joe Murray was trying desperately to have the show cancelled

his wife killed herself during the preproduction of Rocko and he basically tried to get it cancelled so he could get the time he needed to grieve and get his poo poo together.

all of the poo poo he pulled really made the show really popular, and they kept renewing it and he pushed away and gave up show running in season 3 to his assistant stephen hillebrand (who later created apongebob)

following season 3, they hit the number needed for syndication, and when Murray came back again demanding to be let go, the execs obliged and ended the series

Where is this info from? I'd like to know more.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

And most importantly, happily made new movie

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

part of the reason they got him to do Ralph Bighead was because he could use it to vent against the studio

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Where is this info from? I'd like to know more.

he used to blog about it on his website, and there are some interviews, this one will cover most of it (note he doesn't say it, but the horrible tragedy was his wife killing herself)

http://www.title14.com/rocko/contributors/murray.html

quote:

LK: Did you stay with the show until the very last episode? Was it your choice to stop production of new episodes of RML?

JM: I wanted to answer these together, because they affect each other. And there are many elements to it.

I have never talked publicly about this, but I had a horrible tragedy happen to me two months before I started production on Rocko. There were many unresolved issues when I moved to LA to work on the show, both emotionally and physically. I felt like I left to run a marathon with my pants around my ankles. I figured I would work on a season of Rocko (because I really didn't believe it would go on longer) and then move back to the bay area and clean up the loose ends I had left hanging. Well, the show got picked up for another season,, and then another. I was preaching the hand-crafted approach to series television, which takes a lot of work, and I just got to a point where the other part of my life couldn't wait any longer. The producer gets no hiatus (break) and the job is often a 7 day a week commitment. It was a very difficult decision to make, but I didn't think I was serving the show very well. We had an incredible staff that was able to keep the show going, so I told the network that 3rd season would be my last. I encouraged them to keep the show going. They asked if I would executive produce on the 4th season, which would mean overseeing writing, approving storyboards, and still be overall responsible for delivering the show on-time and on budget. I gave the creative directing and producing responsiblities to Steve Hillenburg and Ken Kessell, who did an incredible job, and I was able to work a little less, and the 4th season was great!! Although I was going to step away completely after 4th season, I encouraged the network to keep the show going...It was on a great roll.. but they thought 52 episodes were enough, and put an end to production.

A good thing is I feel all 52 episodes are top notch, and I am proud of all of them. There is always a risk of turning out mediocre product after a while when you are dealing with volume. But our team was intact until the end, and kept up the quality! Another good thing is Steve Hillenburg is working on a pilot for a possible new series with Nick, and if it goes it will be a blessing to us all! He's the best!!

I feel very fortunate to have been given the opportunity to do the show, feel sad if my personal experience helped put an end to Rocko, but I really had no choice. Anyone who knows me, knows I don't walk away from a commitment, but I had a commitment to myself. Yes, there were times Nickelodeon made it more difficult than it needed to be, but there were also times they made it easier.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

"hey we want to bring back your show that you tried desperately to get shitcanned"

"ok heres my pitch about revivals and just accepting change and not clinging to the past dipshits"

love it

in terms of Nicktoons creators he handled the revival a ton better than John K.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK has a new favorite as of 03:05 on Dec 16, 2019

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
"better than John k" is a low bar for pretty much anything but especially "not loving kids"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

"better than John k" is a low bar for pretty much anything but especially "not loving kids"

:drat:

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
i was thinking today how part of the magic of twisty is that all his adventures are associated with a particular costume, like barbie, so i know him only as a series of strangely-dressed personas: vest twisty, centurion twisty, geisha twisty, bakery twisty, malibu twisty

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And most importantly, happily made new movie

he took Nick's money and made a 40 minute special that said that your favorite childhood media is all owned by evil corporations, reboots of the things you love are cynical soulless cash grabs, and only deranged lunatics hang on to the shows and movies of the past.

Nickelodeon wasn't even interested in airing the finished product and flogged it off to Netflix, lol

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

fauna posted:

i was thinking today how part of the magic of twisty is that all his adventures are associated with a particular costume, like barbie, so i know him only as a series of strangely-dressed personas: vest twisty, centurion twisty, geisha twisty, bakery twisty, malibu twisty

Hand thing twisty

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Can I see some of these pictures of Twisty because lol

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fantastic Flyer posted:

ftp.fishmech.ru

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Fantastic Flyer posted:

they're cultural artefacts, lovingly guarded and never made public

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

he took Nick's money and made a 40 minute special that said that your favorite childhood media is all owned by evil corporations, reboots of the things you love are cynical soulless cash grabs, and only deranged lunatics hang on to the shows and movies of the past.

Nickelodeon wasn't even interested in airing the finished product and flogged it off to Netflix, lol

tbf they also put the Zim movie on Netflix and that's way more conventional (and, if anything, a lot lighter than the show ever was).

from what I understand they were planning a whole thing with reviving old shows as movies, and they greenlit three: Hey Arnold, Rocko and Zim. iirc Hey Arnold made it to air and bombed pretty hard, but they didn't want to cancel the project entirely (especially not the Rocko and Zim ones that were already greenlit and in production), so they made a deal with Netflix thinking that would actually get the specials in front of eyes that care.

e: the Zim movie is honestly partly responsible for my recent turn towards just openly liking what I like and not really giving a gently caress, because I went back and watched some of the show expecting to cringe hard and hate it, and instead found out it holds up amazingly well

kind of a Rocko situation where a show that seems very lolrandom as a kid turns out to have a serious method to its madness

WeedlordGoku69 has a new favorite as of 04:14 on Dec 16, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

are you suggesting that this isn't enjoyable to the creator or the viewers?

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017

fauna posted:

they're cultural artefacts, lovingly guarded and never made public

Dang

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Jerry Cotton posted:

ftp.fishmech.ru

This is good. After /whois'ing the url it doesn't exist. The fact that it was *very* plausible is undeniable.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

kind of a Rocko situation where a show that seems very lolrandom as a kid turns out to have a serious method to its madness

Seems like a great opportunity to post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=namndS6fvEs

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The original Invader Zim is a really funny show, and some episodes like Dark Harvest are loving off the walls hilarious.

Also the first like 15 seconds of the intro are really loving great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgX2cu9N6_8

Pick has a new favorite as of 04:53 on Dec 16, 2019

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

theres really only been like 4 actual revivals, Ren and Stimpy, Hey Arnold, Rocko, and Zim

All I can remember from the Hey Arnold movie was that they finally revealed Arnold's last name which was a running gag forever. For those who are wondering its Shortman

the less said about Adult Party Cartoon the better

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

tbf they also put the Zim movie on Netflix and that's way more conventional (and, if anything, a lot lighter than the show ever was).

from what I understand they were planning a whole thing with reviving old shows as movies, and they greenlit three: Hey Arnold, Rocko and Zim. iirc Hey Arnold made it to air and bombed pretty hard, but they didn't want to cancel the project entirely (especially not the Rocko and Zim ones that were already greenlit and in production), so they made a deal with Netflix thinking that would actually get the specials in front of eyes that care.

e: the Zim movie is honestly partly responsible for my recent turn towards just openly liking what I like and not really giving a gently caress, because I went back and watched some of the show expecting to cringe hard and hate it, and instead found out it holds up amazingly well

Zim is fantastic and its kind of a shame that lolmonkeycheese association with it ever stuck

Also it was one of the last real times Nick ever took a real gamble with a creator. I'm still not sure how they hired the creator of Johnny the Homicidal Maniac to do a cartoon.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Actually I think "Mysterious Mysteries" might be the funniest episode. I recall Career Day being, if anything, too accurate. Attack of the Saucer Morons, a classic. Abducted is extremely good also.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The hey Arnold movie had the problem of being the planned sequel to The Journal which was a TV special that aired like a goddamn decade ago and which, combined with the new one, was always planned as the series finale

It was fine at being that

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Zim is great, but last time I tried re-reading Vasquez's comics, they didn't hold up as well.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They're very of their time. I respect them in that light.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Fantastic Flyer posted:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
twisty just likes kamen rider w and to that i say, valid.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

He looks very dandy and handsome

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Generally speaking, do not re-post pictures of goons.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Honestly that is exactly how I imagined him.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

FilthyImp posted:

Gotta admire a poster's ability to run a gimmick like that so well.

Someone mentioned Frags getting run off a while ago. What was that about? Totally forgot about that bit of history.

frags didn't leave because of drama just got busy with life and burned out being an admin. I was talking about integral being lowtax's fiance who was also a writer for the frontpage, but just nameswapped fragmaster instead as a joke

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pick posted:

Actually I think "Mysterious Mysteries" might be the funniest episode. I recall Career Day being, if anything, too accurate. Attack of the Saucer Morons, a classic. Abducted is extremely good also.

Bloaty's Pizza Hog is probably my favorite, largely because anything and everything Gaz does is just inexplicably loving hilarious to me.

Zim is fantastic and its kind of a shame that lolmonkeycheese association with it ever stuck

Also it was one of the last real times Nick ever took a real gamble with a creator. I'm still not sure how they hired the creator of Johnny the Homicidal Maniac to do a cartoon.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Zim is great, but last time I tried re-reading Vasquez's comics, they didn't hold up as well.

Funnily enough, it was Squee that sparked it, not JTHM. I say "funnily" because Squee is even more batshit hosed up and is one of the few Vasquez things I would say is genuinely kinda problematic at times (iirc there's a lot more rape jokes than usual for him).

I respect JTHM a lot just because it's so visibly a portrait of his brokebrains. Like, I feel like I've said this before and caught poo poo for it, but it feels like a really personal comic compared to the norm for edgy horror stuff; it starts out as a bunch of monkeycheese gore, but by the end, it's an incredibly sad (but also vaguely hopeful) story about a really hosed up dude trying to get over his poo poo and function as a regular human, and a lot of that stuff is way, way too relatable in a way that kind of tells you Vasquez has dealt with the same poo poo (just probably with less murder and more drawing). Reading it for the first time when I was in a really bad place mentally about 6-7 years ago honestly kind of helped, because it felt like it was telling me I'm not alone, and that there's a light at the end of that tunnel.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I haven't read it in a long time, but I recall how when I reread it, even that being a while ago, I thought it had more merit that a person might otherwise expect. I agree that more than anything, it's sad. He comes across as a person who is overwhelmed. In fact, I really miss goth properties of that era.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

JTHM also draws a comic which is a bunch of even more monkeycheese gore.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Actually the last thing of his I think I read was in like 2004, so thanks for making me feel really loving old everybody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Turtlicious. posted:

The admins said that I could come back, I apologized and pointed out that I was literally a different person 6 months ago, and that I got help, and they very kindly allowed me to stay.

Sid Vicious posted:

Did you really just add a period to your old user name after your last alt got permabanned too lmao

Turtlicious. posted:

I apologized, and pointed out that when I made those posts, I was dealing with a medical emergency where my insurance was loving up and I couldn't get my brain pills. Nothing actually happened, nothing was actually made. I have new meds now, and am not the same person I was six months ago. Literally A Bird said I was allowed back, as well.

So much for that.