Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Pinecone Sample posted:

AITA for continuing to use the phrase "Big Dick Energy" despite my boyfriend saying it makes him uncomfortable?

lmao he covets that which he does not posess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Pinecone Sample posted:

AITA for continuing to use the phrase "Big Dick Energy" despite my boyfriend saying it makes him uncomfortable?

lmao

Obviously the correct answer here is to stop saying it because it's making your partner uncomfortable but at the same time lmao.

The fact that there is nothing like "you're packing, don't worry" is the nail in the lmao coffin.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe
Not knowing your own parents' birthdates is weird as poo poo. Honestly have never heard of that before.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for arguing with my wife over the fact that she keeps breaking our children's stuff?

AITA for this unambiguous thing? You wouldn't be the rear end in a top hat if you dumped this sack of poo poo for costing you thousands of dollars over basically temper tantrums no matter how she justifies them post flipping the gently caress out.

Telemaze posted:

Not knowing your own parents' birthdates is weird as poo poo. Honestly have never heard of that before.

I don't remember my own or anyones so they're not special. its literally only relevant on 0.002% of the year.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 16, 2019

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Motherfucker posted:

AITA for this unambiguous thing? You wouldn't be the rear end in a top hat if you dumped this sack of poo poo for costing you thousands of dollars over basically temper tantrums no matter how she justifies them post flipping the gently caress out.

I don't remember my own or anyones so they're not special. its literally only relevant on 0.002% of the year.

Change that to wedding anniversary/wife's birthday and we have a /r/relationships post in the making.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
My wife's birthday is January 1st, I proposed on the summer solstice, and we got married on D-Day.

And none of it matters because she never remembers any of those things.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for kicking my gf of 6 years out of my house last night because of her behavior which resulted in my parents and younger brother being very uncomfortable and the night ended up with them leaving the dinner early?

Recently me and my gf have been having some problems in our relationship and it all has to do with the way she dresses around the house and it has gotten too much for me to handle and it all came crashing down last night.

Some background on the issue: my gf likes to stay in her bra and panties around the house which i had no issues with at first until she started doing it when my friends or her friends were around and it makes me super uncomfortable.

I have spoken to her many times but all she says is that it's her body and that she'll dress the way she wants and that i need to be more comfortable and need to stop being jealous which isn't the point. I mean, would you guys be OK with your SO being the only one wearing a bra and pantie in front of your male friends?

Now to last night: I was hosting dinner which included me, my gf, my parents and younger brother. Everything was going perfect until my gf decided it was too hot and changed into a sports bra and underwear and I loving lost it.

My Dad had to intervene and asked my gf to dress like a proper woman, I lost it when she told my dad very rudely that she will dress how ever the gently caress she wants in her own house and I loving snapped.

First of all it's my loving house where she only pays her own cell bill and that's it.

I told her to pack her poo poo and to leave my house right away and that she was no longer welcomed here which confused her at first but she soon realized that i wasn't loving around. Felt really bad for my rents and brother, my parents apologized to me profusely especially my dad. He is blaming himself for what happened, he told me that he shouldn't have said anything and that he is sorry for messing with my relationship which I don't blame him one bit.

As for the gf, got a lot of missed calls and messages not only from her but her friends and her mom too. I'm being blamed for not sticking up to my girlfriend and that according to her mom i'm not man enough to handle her daughter. Whatever the gently caress that means and of course i'm being called an assbole by pretty much everyone from her end, even few of my woman friends agree with her.

I loved her, gave her everything and spoiled the heck out of her which is my own fault.

I'm lost tbh, don't know if i really did the right thing but i'm more bummed about my Dad.

Edit: grammar

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

lol at all the friendless, relationshipless goon robots not knowing the birthdays of the people around them. you guys never fail

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for kicking my gf of 6 years out of my house last night because of her behavior which resulted in my parents and younger brother being very uncomfortable and the night ended up with them leaving the dinner early?

you are an rear end in a top hat for kicking her out over this, but hanging around in your underwear when you have company over is lazy and rude, not woke. esh

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

epsilon posted:

lol at all the friendless, relationshipless goon robots not knowing the birthdays of the people around them. you guys never fail
The abilty of some people to read "I don't know how old my parents are" and interpret that as "I have no friends or family because I don't know birthdays" is just perfect goon. Never change.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Trapick posted:

I don't put a lot of emphasis on it for personality or whatever, absolutely stories and stuff are more important. I just mean from a practical point of view, for filling out forms, identifying them, death certificates, etc. Just a weird bit of info not to know in my book.

If you're often filling out forms that necessitate your parents' birthdates then yeah, that makes sense. But how often are you filling out forms (and lol death certificates) that need that information? I can't even remember the last time that I needed a birthdate for either of them; maybe when we were filling out the FAFSA?

Telemaze posted:

It seems completely normal either way but I'm still loling at the goon who thinks it's normal to know their graduation dates

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

epsilon posted:

Thank you for submitting a late entry for the /r/relationship's thread annual "I can't loving read but have a hot take to make anyway" award, we're talking about birthdates, not birthdays. As in some people think it's fine to not know the years their parents were born but do know the months and days (e.g. their birthdays).

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

The true alpha move would have been to wear a shirt with no bra, so that no one could tell her to cover up even though her nips are visible.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for lying to my GF about working 6 days ( I work 5) so I can play videogames once per week?

Ok so I have been lying for about 3 months now; to my girlfriend about working on Saturday so I can play video games all day; before I tried to explain to her how big part of my life video games are but she just does not understand; she comes everyday to my apartment after work ( schedule is 8 am to 5 pm ); she will come around 6 pm dressed like a princess and ready for me to have a plan for her night; movies; dinner; dance; ANYTHING that takes me out of my apartment/video-games; we settle down on 2 days out 5 at home but I won the battle because I bring out money to the table but to be honest I just wanted to be lazy at home; now on holidays I cant have this lie going on anymore at least till January; I am really stressed about this but I am sure the lie is saving the relationship.

On her side she tells me a lot that she comes to my place to have my attention and when I play I just ignore her; she likes to talk a lot; her sex drive is way bigger than mine and after sex she wants me to stay there doing nothing for like and hour ( for me this feels like wasting time I could use; even tv is not allowed in this weird after sex time ) so I frequently try to avoid sex till late night so I can sleep after sex; I love her trust me on this I DO LOVE HER but she feels that I dont love her in the way she loves me ( for example she can just sit and look at me for hours without getting bored and I just cant I really need to be doing something )

​Ending note; If AITA ill stop lying and have a confrontation with her about videogames ( again)
If NTA Ill find a way to survive holidays and go back to 6 days work schedule per week on January

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for lying to my GF about working 6 days ( I work 5) so I can play videogames once per week?

He shouldn't be lying, but I understand needing to constantly be stimulated to silence the screaming anxiety from within.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I love her trust me on this I DO LOVE HER but she feels that I dont love her in the way she loves me

She's not wrong about that

The answer to the subject line is a pretty clear "yes" but it's okay to try and set some boundaries because expecting to have a night out on the town literally every night sounds exhausting, and it sounds like she wants him to do all of the planning on top of that (albeit I doubt that's completely accurate). They clearly both want different things so maybe they should just break up

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

She's not wrong about that

The answer to the subject line is a pretty clear "yes" but it's okay to try and set some boundaries because expecting to have a night out on the town literally every night sounds exhausting, and it sounds like she wants him to do all of the planning on top of that (albeit I doubt that's completely accurate). They clearly both want different things so maybe they should just break up

Yeah they really don’t sound compatible.

Even sexually.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah they really don’t sound compatible.

Even sexually.

Girls love it when you ignore them for 12 hours while you try to achieve enlightenment via anime titty games

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My Dad had to intervene and asked my gf to dress like a proper woman, I lost it when she told my dad very rudely that she will dress how ever the gently caress she wants in her own house and I loving snapped.

I was on board until the phrasing "a proper woman." Yeah dad, you shouldn't have said anything stupid enough to make me want to side with the lady in her underwear in front of randos.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

It seems completely normal either way but I'm still loling at the goon who thinks it's normal to know their graduation dates
I'll agree with that, I have to really think to recall my own.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

WIBTA if I told my mom that I don't want her walking me down the aisle at my upcoming wedding?

I'll try to keep this short and sweet.

When my boyfriend and I got engaged, we shared the news with my parents via a Skype call. After the initial excitement, my mom said, "Just so you know, your dad and I will BOTH be walking you down the aisle because we BOTH raised you." I didn't rebuttal in the moment, but I'm pretty bothered by the idea for a few reasons:

1.) I was looking forward to that special moment with just my dad. I feel like my dad being a great guy is a huge reason why I'm marrying a great guy, and that symbolism of him giving me away has a lot of meaning for me. I'm tearing up right now just thinking of it.

2.) Logistically, the bride typically has one arm linked with their dad, and the other holding a bouquet of flowers. In a scenario with my mom added, I am linking both my arms with them and have no flowers? Or I awkwardly try to hold flowers at the same time as having both arms linked? Or no touching at all and I just hold flowers?

3.) I didn't like that my mom just TOLD me she was doing this, and did not ask.

One more tidbit of importance.... I've had a rocky relationship with my mom over the years, and been through therapy to get some understanding of why. In short, she was very critical and controlling when I was growing up, which has led to me being rather self-critical and people pleasing in my adult life. I know my mom had a really tough childhood and had to grow up very fast, so I don't blame her for being this way, she is just human.

So, WBITA if I offer a new idea of my brother walking her down the aisle instead? Or am I making a mountain out of a mole hill and should just let it go?

EDIT: Some people are under the impression that my mom is still as controlling and critical as she was when I was growing up. She has loosened up a lot since I moved out long ago, and is generally very kind to me.

Also, we are already having a pretty non-traditional wedding as it is (non religious, writing our own vows, no garter or bouquet toss) so I don’t really have the excuse of tradition.

I told my fiancé about this post, and he had a really good point after reading the comments. He said I’ll get to have the dad daughter dance with just my dad, so the aisle walk isn’t the only moment with my dad. And her desire to walk with me probably comes from a place of love, I’m just wired to assume it’s control based on everything from growing up. She’s been very thoughtful about her other requests, and respectful when I’ve said no to some other things.

Thank you all for your replies. Honestly, with how much people were assuming my mom was awful, it made me realize she really isn’t the person she was anymore and walking down the aisle with me might be the olive branch we all need. This was cathartic, thank you all so much.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

WIBTA if I told my mom that I don't want her walking me down the aisle at my upcoming wedding?

, "Just so you know, your dad and I will BOTH be walking you down the aisle because we BOTH raised you." I

3.) I didn't like that my mom just TOLD me she was doing this, and did not ask.

In short, she was very critical and controlling when I was growing up, which has led to me being rather self-critical and people pleasing in my adult life. I know my mom had a really tough childhood and had to grow up very fast, so I don't blame her for being this way, she is just human.

EDIT: Some people are under the impression that my mom is still as controlling and critical as she was when I was growing up.

:thunk:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

she's gonna butt in on the father-daughter dance too

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

she's gonna butt in on the father-daughter dance too

Na she’s not nearly as controlling as she was! :downs:

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Ok so I have been lying for about 3 months now; to my girlfriend about working on Saturday so I can play video games all day; before I tried to explain to her how big part of my life video games are but she just does not understand; she comes everyday to my apartment after work ( schedule is 8 am to 5 pm ); she will come around 6 pm dressed like a princess and ready for me to have a plan for her night; movies; dinner; dance; ANYTHING that takes me out of my apartment/video-games; we settle down on 2 days out 5 at home but I won the battle because I bring out money to the table but to be honest I just wanted to be lazy at home; now on holidays I cant have this lie going on anymore at least till January; I am really stressed about this but I am sure the lie is saving the relationship.

On her side she tells me a lot that she comes to my place to have my attention and when I play I just ignore her; she likes to talk a lot; her sex drive is way bigger than mine and after sex she wants me to stay there doing nothing for like and hour ( for me this feels like wasting time I could use; even tv is not allowed in this weird after sex time ) so I frequently try to avoid sex till late night so I can sleep after sex; I love her trust me on this I DO LOVE HER but she feels that I dont love her in the way she loves me ( for example she can just sit and look at me for hours without getting bored and I just cant I really need to be doing something )

​Ending note; If AITA ill stop lying and have a confrontation with her about videogames ( again)
If NTA Ill find a way to survive holidays and go back to 6 days work schedule per week on January

hahahahahahahaha omfg inject this into my veins

what a loving clueless idiot. Video games over time spent with someone you "love" - down time I get but you'd rather play video games than interact with your romantic partner an entire day every week and after you have sex? loving christ

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Huggybear posted:

what a loving clueless idiot. Video games over time spent with someone you "love" - down time I get but you'd rather play video games than interact with your romantic partner an entire day every week and after you have sex? loving christ

Having some down time / spending it with different people is kind of nice. You're ignoring that fact based on the fact that gaming is the way to achieve this.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

she comes everyday to my apartment after work ( schedule is 8 am to 5 pm ); she will come around 6 pm dressed like a princess and ready for me to have a plan for her night; movies; dinner; dance; ANYTHING that takes me out of my apartment/video-games (...) On her side she tells me a lot that she comes to my place to have my attention and when I play I just ignore her

Huggybear posted:

So...you don't think it's reasonable to ever want just time to chill out after a long day of work?

She is coming over to his apartment every single day immediately after work and expecting to spend every minute of it with him Doing Something - either going out somewhere or, even if they stay at home, still having his full attention and being entertained by him. It would be different if she was cool with just being there with him and both sort of relaxing in their own way (e.g., she watches a show on TV while he shitposts on SA), but it doesn't sound like she'd be okay with anything less than being the center of his focus.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
She's the prettiest show pony.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Midnight Voyager posted:

I was on board until the phrasing "a proper woman." Yeah dad, you shouldn't have said anything stupid enough to make me want to side with the lady in her underwear in front of randos.

He also said she was wearing a sports bra which aren't exactly the most revealing things in the world.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

He also said she was wearing a sports bra which aren't exactly the most revealing things in the world.

True but this part as well...

quote:

Everything was going perfect until my gf decided it was too hot and changed into a sports bra and underwear and I loving lost it.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

her sex drive is way bigger than mine and after sex she wants me to stay there doing nothing for like and hour

This is unacceptable. What kind of bourgeoisie nonsense is this? Does she not have a job? A career? Ambition? You need to :sever: and dump this exploitative monster. She is stealing your sexual labor and using it to enrich herself. You need to think of your own time as yours, not as hers. 8 hours for work, 8 hours for sleep, and 8 hours for yourself! If you do not quit this job -- and it is a job, no healthy relationship can include hours of idiot downtime like this -- she is going to grind you to dust, to nothing. Arise worker of the world and fight for your 8 hours.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

https://twitter.com/finallevel/status/1206240972453109760?s=21

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA [NSFW] For not letting my Brother and SIL use my wooden box as a coffin?

My brother and SIL were five months pregnant but day before yesterday at their prenatal appointment they learned the baby's heart had stopped beating and it had apparently been passed away for a couple weeks. Naturally they were devastated. My SIL had been feeling the baby moving and she was showing. I feel terrible for them. They've been married five years and put off having kids until they were done with their education and they got pregnant right away with this poor little lost baby. We're all kind of sad for them, this would have been the first of the grandkids.

Here's the issue. I have this hand-carved wooden box. It's absolutely gorgeous. Lined in lush blue velvet. My great-great-great grandfather made it himself. He was a carpenter who built homes and furniture. This box survived two world wars, a Great Depression, three house-fires, two robberies, one bankruptcy, a turn of the Century or two, and about fifty or sixty greedy relatives. It's not worth more than a couple hundred dollars if that, but it's the sentimental value that I focus on. Here is a piece of my family history that has somehow survived.

My brother called me up this afternoon and asked me if I would mind giving them the box. They want to use the box as a casket for their baby. My brother knows all about the box and he's confident the box is big enough to hold the tiny remains of the baby. Legally the box is mine. It was in possession of my Great Aunt Lizzie who left it to me, along with some of her jewelry. I loved my GA Lizzie, having lived with her for her last year of life taking care of her, and she was particularly fond of the box. She taught me a lot about our family history.

I'm so sorry that my brother and his wife lost their baby but I don't want to give up this box to a fate of being buried under the ground, it just doesn't seem right to me. But my brother is upset and he lashed out, claiming I don't care about them or the baby they lost, and if I had a heart I'd give them the box for their baby. I know they're going through hard times right now and a lot of this is probably emotion. But now he's got my mother blowing up my phone telling me to give them the box and stop all this foolishness and meanness.

AITA for not giving them the box for their baby?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Just a gruelling page all-round

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

Telemaze posted:

You've never heard of anyone with non-neurotypical brain chemistry?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Uh, what was the velvet-lined, baby-sized coffin box intended to be used for?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

Gonna assume not for dead babies at least.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA [NSFW] For not letting my Brother and SIL use my wooden box as a coffin?

That's an insane request but they're probably both temporarily insane with grief. The assholes are the extended family members trying to convince this guy to give up the century-old family heirloom for such a purpose.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Clark Nova posted:

Crystal skulls, not regular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Inceltown posted:

Having some down time / spending it with different people is kind of nice. You're ignoring that fact based on the fact that gaming is the way to achieve this.

Powerful post/username combo right there

I agree, the issue for me is really the lying, not the outlet. And the obvious incompatibility.