Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

ded posted:

can i use my grandpas? he was in ww2 at Guadalcanal, as a seabee who pulled stevedore duty running the cranes

got kicked out on a hardship for this wifes second pregnancy after punching out 3 officers over bullshit like coffee

o7 thank him for his service

Can I use my grandpa's and great uncle's service? Grandpa fought in Korea and played dead under his best friend body, great uncle supposedly got the clap from a French hooker and may or may not have killed German POWs as a reprisal after the battle of the bulge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

My dad may or may have not helped his squad in Vietnam get their officer killed by incompetence

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/report-whistleblower-ice-denied-healthcare-migrants-67746887

quote:

HOUSTON -- A whistleblower report provided to BuzzFeed News alleges U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has “systematically provided inadequate medical and mental health care” to detained migrants, leading to complications that included the removal of part of an 8-year-old boy's forehead.

The report published Thursday says poor medical care contributed to two preventable surgeries and contributed to four deaths in detention. It renewed harsh criticism from migrant advocates and Democrats of President Donald Trump's immigration crackdown, during which there have been reports of squalid conditions in packed cells and crying children left to fend for themselves after being taken from their parents.

At the Stewart Detention Center in Lumpkin, Georgia, a man who was bleeding through his skin continued to receive aspirin even though he had extremely thin blood. The man was eventually taken to a hospital in critical condition and not expected to survive, according to a report summarizing the complaint that was delivered to ICE leadership in March.

In Arizona, a detainee at the Eloy Federal Contract Facility had “worsening psychosis-related symptoms, but the psychiatrist failed to treat him,” the report says.

And at the South Texas Family Residential Center in Dilley, Texas, a boy was initially diagnosed with an external ear infection, only to have seizures two weeks later. Doctors at the hospital diagnosed him with Pott's puffy tumor, an infection that leads to abscesses formed under the skull. They treated it by extracting part of the boy's frontal bone, BuzzFeed reported.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Casimir Radon posted:

The movie was watered down by the studio to try and appease dumb Christians, as the books have an atheistic message. It fell flat ended on a cliffhanger, and never got its sequels. Shame because they had an amazing cast assembled. The show has been very good so far.

Lol it was more than an atheistic message, the third book is nearly incoherent because of how much time is spent ranting about the evils of the Definitely Not The Catholic Church. Including stealing the flagellant assassin idea from Da Vinci Code.

Really got in the way of the good parts (armored polar bears fighting)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

Lol it was more than an atheistic message, the third book is nearly incoherent because of how much time is spent ranting about the evils of the Definitely Not The Catholic Church. Including stealing the flagellant assassin idea from Da Vinci Code.

Really got in the way of the good parts (armored polar bears fighting)

Though saying something in 1999 or whatever at this point “teenagers use their daemons, witch friends and loving bears to kill the church” is just a JRPG or anime series pitch.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
My dad dodged Australia's draft for Vietnam.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

ded posted:

can i use my grandpas? he was in ww2 at Guadalcanal, as a seabee who pulled stevedore duty running the cranes

got kicked out on a hardship for this wifes second pregnancy after punching out 3 officers over bullshit like coffee

My God the Bees are failing our forebearers so bad :(

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Me, drunkenly trying to explain the cool premise behind HDM to Dr. FAUXTON: "the shapeshifting ferret weasel is symbolic of childlike curiosity and optimism, later on in life they settle in on a form and it's like a kid deciding what to pursue in life, but those freaks with the church want to take it away and the process fucks the kids up just like Catholicism"

Dr FAUXTON, ignoring me and the show, focused more on Pokemon: "is the weasel cute though?"

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

ElMaligno posted:

My dad may or may have not helped his squad in Vietnam get their officer killed by incompetence

Was the officer that bad? If c, tell him I said good job fam. I'll send him a coffee mug next christmas.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

One of my dad's closest friends got murdered by a grenade in his office after discovering a heroin trafficking ring run out of Vietnam in the 70s. Go army.

He only ever mentioned it once, at his college 25th reunion.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

Me, drunkenly trying to explain the cool premise behind HDM to Dr. FAUXTON: "the shapeshifting ferret weasel is symbolic of childlike curiosity and optimism, later on in life they settle in on a form and it's like a kid deciding what to pursue in life, but those freaks with the church want to take it away and the process fucks the kids up just like Catholicism"

Dr FAUXTON, ignoring me and the show, focused more on Pokemon: "is the weasel cute though?"

Pan is adorable in every form and I will not hear otherwise. :colbert:

The monkey is probably overall the best implemented daemon so far though, followed by Lee Scorseby's. Its deeply disappointed all the birds were changed to falcons or other easily trained birds, we're missing out on a combat goose. :honk:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hobbesmaster posted:

Pan is adorable in every form and I will not hear otherwise. :colbert:

The monkey is probably overall the best implemented daemon so far though, followed by Lee Scorseby's. Its deeply disappointed all the birds were changed to falcons or other easily trained birds, we're missing out on a combat goose. :honk:

Oh I definitely told her it was a cute weasel ferret and I think I saw Pan as a bird and a butterfly at a couple points too?

I wonder who Sam Elliot's old cowboy is played by this time. I'll admit I know nothing about the books and only barely recall names from the movie, but iirc he was an old grizzled western lawman type and had a jackrabbit named Hester, which was rad as hell.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Oh I definitely told her it was a cute weasel ferret and I think I saw Pan as a bird and a butterfly at a couple points too?

I wonder who Sam Elliot's old cowboy is played by this time. I'll admit I know nothing about the books and only barely recall names from the movie, but iirc he was an old grizzled western lawman type and had a jackrabbit named Hester, which was rad as hell.

The Aeronaut? He's played by Lin-Manuel Miranda

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Smiling Jack posted:

One of my dad's closest friends got murdered by a grenade in his office after discovering a heroin trafficking ring run out of Vietnam in the 70s. Go army.

He only ever mentioned it once, at his college 25th reunion.

Jesus

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Immanentized posted:

The Aeronaut? He's played by Lin-Manuel Miranda

Are you loving kidding me

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

His rabbit exists to dunk on all Lin-Manuel Miranda bullshit so it works.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

grandpa chat? Mom's dad did ROTC in college, graduated with a biochem degree, then dropped his nobility to enlist as a lab tech with a hospital in the europe. Family scuttlebutt is he didn't want to shoot at family, as we still had a sizable group of german cousins at the time. Landed d-day+6 and was in belgium during the bulge. Had a story about shermans rolling up to his guard post in Liege.

dad's dad was a chem-e professor specializing in gases and cryogenics. Did some work in oak ridge and rochester (i think) when he wasn't teaching. After the war he spent summers working for NIST in Boulder. All his papers are somewhere in the basement.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

My uncle was a corpsman in Vietnam, my dad guarded submarines, and my other uncle was a pilot. Dad used to be oorah as hell which I now suspect was an inferiority complex that his brothers actually did something of use.

There's a thread in gbs where a goon drives a Russian car back to England from Kazahkstan or something. I don't know if it's being updated in real time but his most recent post is having crossed into Afghanistan which seems...ill advised?

sharknado slashfic fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 16, 2019

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Tie a rag to the stem of the rear wiper and no one will notice or care. You could probably get all the way through on highway one in a day if you're committed.

E: guess I don't actually know which road is highway one, but it's an 18 hour drive straight through. I think once you're out of the pakistan border region it's not too bad?

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 16, 2019

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

The first goon road trip thread I remember ended with OP getting arrested for desertion or awol or whatever you call it.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Going UA or AWOL will always be an honorable decision in my book

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

There's a thread in gbs where a goon drives a Russian car back to England from Kazahkstan or something. I don't know if it's being updated in real time but his most recent post is having crossed into Afghanistan which seems...ill advised?

That route doesn't make sense, its the opposite direction?

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

A friend of mine’s three worst life decisions according to him:

1. Joining the army
2. Going awol
3. Going back

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

Going UA or AWOL will always be an honorable decision in my book

I think it was something dumb like he was done with his contract and someone hosed up his paperwork so he popped a warrant on a traffic stop. Not like he bugged out of Iraq or anything.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

That route doesn't make sense, its the opposite direction?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3907195 *shrug*

Looking at a map maybe he's driving it to China and having it shipped. Or it was explained earlier in the thread and I skimmed over it while I was in the bathroom.

sharknado slashfic fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 16, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3907195 *shrug*

Looking at a map maybe he's driving it to China and having it shipped. Or it was explained earlier in the thread and I skimmed over it while I was in the bathroom.

I'm skimming it now.
"Almaty to issyk Kul to Osh and then the Pamir Highway"

I realized its an active thread so I just asked. Maybe getting it shipped from India?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

hobbesmaster posted:

His rabbit exists to dunk on all Lin-Manuel Miranda bullshit so it works.

The rabbit is Immortal technique?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm old, so my grandpa was in WW1 instead of WW2. is there a statute of limitations for valor theft?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Madurai posted:

I'm old, so my grandpa was in WW1 instead of WW2. is there a statute of limitations for valor theft?

No, some idiots still claim civil war valor.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

LingcodKilla posted:

Is treason valorous?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

joat mon posted:

Is treason valorous?

According to my Louisiana middle school education, yes.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

Hey, don't you dare slander our beloved mod like that!!!

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
My dad killed a Viet Cong elephant. Do I get any valor for that?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Madurai posted:

LingcodKilla posted:

There’s a guy in DC who has a bumper sticker that says “Proud descendant of a Union soldier” on his pickup truck.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

pantslesswithwolves posted:

There’s a guy in DC who has a bumper sticker that says “Proud descendant of a Union soldier” on his pickup truck.

Less dumb than daughters of the Confederacy imo

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Smiling Jack posted:

The first goon road trip thread I remember ended with OP getting arrested for desertion or awol or whatever you call it.

Someone please find this that's amazing.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

My grandfather was a medic during WWII, not much in the way of stories from him. I just know that on the boat to Casablanca they asked for 5 volunteers to become medics, so him and his buddies volunteered and somehow all but 1 survived the war. He said he decided to volunteer because he didnt want to carry a heavy rear end gun around all the time.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

ded posted:

My wife’s grandpa did exactly the same thing—Seabee who did a lot of cargo work. Was that common?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LingcodKilla posted:

There are still civil war pensions being paid in 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Both my granddads were in the USAAF but spent the whole war stateside. My dad's dad ended up a colonel in charge of some ferry base that Bull Halsey breezed through on his way somewhere and got a nice letter from him about it, then he got out but was called back up in the early days of SAC to lug nukes around from Guam for a few years. My mom's dad spent the war at some training base in nowhere, Texas that I think might've been Harlingen where he somehow ended up training Chinese troops for something, then he was in marketing for Aerojet during the Space Race and was acquaintances with Chuck Yeager after he retired.