Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PantsBandit posted:

I was aimlessly browsing Quest games last night and came across the Arizona Sunshine trailer.

WOOF that game looks loving rough. The zombie models in particular are loving absurdly low-poly.

AS is an incredibly early VR game. I ragequit after the dark mine sequence where a bunch of zombies came to intrude my personal space. It isn't great. Frankly, the Quest isn't great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

PantsBandit posted:

I was aimlessly browsing Quest games last night and came across the Arizona Sunshine trailer.

WOOF that game looks loving rough. The zombie models in particular are loving absurdly low-poly.

I've got the same problem with the climb. The environment looks good when you're looking behind you. The rock texture, the thing you're looking at 90% of the time?

OOF

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Have anyone played The Under Presents? There is a number of good impressions around.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I bought Path of the Warrior of the weekend and played a couple levels. Pretty sweet game for $20. There were even mini games between levels.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

One of the most expensive games too, 40€ and no cross buy. And man, the Spanish dub was one of the worst ones I've had to experience, ever.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Anyone playing touring karts? It just released on steam and boy howdy does a Mario Kart VR game sounds awesome

I picked it up but haven't had time to play it yet :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PantsBandit posted:

Low poly really doesn't matter in VR though

The best VR games are like Beat Saber, Rez, Battlezone, Job Sim, all super low poly. Yeah when you watch the trailer maybe it looks bad compared to flatscreen games but when you're actually in VR you barely notice the difference.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Zaphod42 posted:

The best VR games are like Beat Saber, Rez, Battlezone, Job Sim, all super low poly. Yeah when you watch the trailer maybe it looks bad compared to flatscreen games but when you're actually in VR you barely notice the difference.

low poly models by themselves aren't the issue, it's the overall aesthetic just looking cheap and flat.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The environment is pretty OK in my opinion, but the zombies, yeah, not so hot.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I thought it was off putting how many of the female corpses were in bras and panties because they had to be sexy for some reason.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Well, to be fair, games like Beat Saber aren't low poly: they have exactly as many polygons as it's needed for the type of game. Similarly, Job Sim has a well done cartoon art style that handles the low poly count.
Arizona Sunshine is unlike those two.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

Have anyone played The Under Presents? There is a number of good impressions around.

It's not like a standard game. It's definitely more on the experience side, but not experience like 10 minutes and then you're done. Without giving away too many details (because it's the sort of thing that's definitely better going in blind), there's some time stuff going on with a ship which is all wrapped in a crazy dreamlike environment.

It's extremely unique and extremely-er worth playing.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The more realistic you try to go it gets exponentially harder both technically and artistically to pay off that promise. Like as soon as you step onto that path, the target moves and each step you take, the further and further away the target gets.

mutata fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 16, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Just playing Beat Saber first time since they introduced 360° maps.

Let me guess, they're trying to do 3D audio, because music sounds pretty terrible in game now.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Whats the best way to "find" old VR games. Once I get past the best of/intro stuff and just want to keep playing older games.

Like I'm looking back through some stuff and finding hidden games like Chronos, Lost Echo, Mages Tale, etc etc. Is there a list out there that helps separate out the arena style games with stuff that's actually a fleshed out attempt at a "full" VR game?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rookersh posted:

Whats the best way to "find" old VR games. Once I get past the best of/intro stuff and just want to keep playing older games.

Like I'm looking back through some stuff and finding hidden games like Chronos, Lost Echo, Mages Tale, etc etc. Is there a list out there that helps separate out the arena style games with stuff that's actually a fleshed out attempt at a "full" VR game?

If we don't talk about it in this thread often then it probably isn't a "full" VR game. There's not a ton of those. Most VR games are smaller stuff like the arena style stuff.

There's like, basically zero "old VR games" that are also "full VR games". The Gallery and Arizona Sunshine are like the largest "old" VR games I can come up with.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Depends on what you classify as a "full" VR game tbh. I still think Space Pirate Trainer is worth having for instance, its just a shooting gallery but its a really good one

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Rookersh posted:

A lot of the early full games were Oculus exclusives, because Oculus was just about the only place really pouring money into VR.

Here's a pretty decent list of those exclusives:
https://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-exclusives/

Another game that I really enjoyed early on was BlazeRush:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/302710/BlazeRush/

That one is just a good game with VR added, but I thought it worked really well.

Honestly, as far as full games go, if you like racing there's a bunch of good full racing games that have VR support. I have really enjoyed Project Cars and Dirt Rally.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sigh, I'm trying to make ALVR work but it insists I don't have the VC++ 2015 redistributable (which I have, I already installed it and rebooted just in case).

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I'm 2 weeks into owning my Samsung Odyssey+ and it's been solid but I'm torn on returning it and getting an Oculus Quest instead.

The sweet spot for sharpness with really small with the Odyssey+ and I find myself squinting a lot. I'm not sure if its the anti-SDE thing they're doing but there is just a lot of blurriness at times. The refresh rate is solid and I have no complaints there. The controllers are lovely, I do not like them. Gripping them too hard makes the battery compartment just pop right off, just cheap feeling poo poo. The button placement is odd. The tracking itself has largely been OK though. The WMR portal is a loving joke by the way and it's clear the platform itself will have no support within a year.

About the Quest, is the battery life decent? I am reading 2 hours online which doesn't sound like much. For people tethering their Quest for PCVR, is it a pain to get going or just basically plug and play with SteamVR? Does the headset have a spot to tuck or secure the cable? I would probably stay tethered for stuff like playing Elite Dangerous but go untethered for Beat Saber.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

homeless snail posted:

Depends on what you classify as a "full" VR game tbh. I still think Space Pirate Trainer is worth having for instance, its just a shooting gallery but its a really good one

Yeah that's the thing, its very nebulous what you even mean by that. YMMV and all.

I wanted to like BlazeRush but didn't. If we're talking flatscreen games retrofit to VR, the best is Payday 2.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Rookersh posted:

Pay for a month of viveport infinity and dick around with tons of dumb poo poo.

But uh. Actual long games? Not tons. I wish I could remember the name of that shooter that was a weird sequel but had VR. And its not showing up as "VR" on my stupid library on steam. Unnnghh

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 16, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Just playing Beat Saber first time since they introduced 360° maps.

Let me guess, they're trying to do 3D audio, because music sounds pretty terrible in game now.
There's definitely something fucky going on. Music sounds differently, like virtual speakers in relation to the headset, and the note hit effect seems to shift in volume randomly scrolling along the map, that didn't happen before either.

I really should freeze the updates, because christ...

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm 2 weeks into owning my Samsung Odyssey+ and it's been solid but I'm torn on returning it and getting an Oculus Quest instead.

The sweet spot for sharpness with really small with the Odyssey+ and I find myself squinting a lot. I'm not sure if its the anti-SDE thing they're doing but there is just a lot of blurriness at times. The refresh rate is solid and I have no complaints there. The controllers are lovely, I do not like them. Gripping them too hard makes the battery compartment just pop right off, just cheap feeling poo poo. The button placement is odd. The tracking itself has largely been OK though. The WMR portal is a loving joke by the way and it's clear the platform itself will have no support within a year.

About the Quest, is the battery life decent? I am reading 2 hours online which doesn't sound like much. For people tethering their Quest for PCVR, is it a pain to get going or just basically plug and play with SteamVR? Does the headset have a spot to tuck or secure the cable? I would probably stay tethered for stuff like playing Elite Dangerous but go untethered for Beat Saber.

The battery compartment also pops off with the Quest controllers :v:

Yeah the lenses on WMR are just not good. You have to get them adjusted really well to have things in focus, and even then looking anywhere but straight ahead things will rapidly get blurry. This is a problem with all headsets, but the Oculus lenses are significantly better and things will be in focus in a much wider range. Besides the battery compartment thing, the Oculus controllers are so much better it's nuts.

For battery life, yeah 2 hours minimum for games and stuff, it *can* last longer for less intensive stuff like watching movies or less taxing games. It's pretty drat plug and play, you need to keep the Oculus software running like you would a Rift but other than that it works fine with SteamVR. You might run into some audio issues, Link is still in beta and they haven't totally nailed down the audio/mic situation, I think the mic doesn't work at all right now, but I would expect this to change.

The headset itself doesn't have a spot to tuck the cable, but you can get a pretty secure setup like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7SH77V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 1 foot A to C cable (I ordered this and can vouch it works at least as well as any other cable I've found)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DMFB5OK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 16 ft extension cable (I can only vouch for the previous iteration of this cable that I ordered in 2017, but it should work)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O9VKVFK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 velcro straps

Total $35

If you velcro the end of the extension cable to the bottom of the back of the headstrap, it shouldn't pull on the usb connection where you plug in the cable to the headset. The 1 foot cable and velcro straps should also let you easily swap out the cable for a battery pack to add life to the headset and add a counterweight, which can make it more comfortable to use for longer periods anyway.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I thought it was off putting how many of the female corpses were in bras and panties because they had to be sexy for some reason.

We can blame silent hill 2 for this trend. Or maybe 3, the nurses in 2 had a reason to be that way.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

Pay for a month of viveport infinity and dick around with tons of dumb poo poo.

But uh. Actual long games? Not tons. I wish I could remember the name of that shooter that was a weird sequel but had VR. And its not showing up as "VR" on my stupid library on steam. Unnnghh

Guessing you mean Dead Effect 2, actually a decent looter shooter especially considering when it came out.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Lemming posted:

The battery compartment also pops off with the Quest controllers :v:

Yeah the lenses on WMR are just not good. You have to get them adjusted really well to have things in focus, and even then looking anywhere but straight ahead things will rapidly get blurry. This is a problem with all headsets, but the Oculus lenses are significantly better and things will be in focus in a much wider range. Besides the battery compartment thing, the Oculus controllers are so much better it's nuts.

For battery life, yeah 2 hours minimum for games and stuff, it *can* last longer for less intensive stuff like watching movies or less taxing games. It's pretty drat plug and play, you need to keep the Oculus software running like you would a Rift but other than that it works fine with SteamVR. You might run into some audio issues, Link is still in beta and they haven't totally nailed down the audio/mic situation, I think the mic doesn't work at all right now, but I would expect this to change.

The headset itself doesn't have a spot to tuck the cable, but you can get a pretty secure setup like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7SH77V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 1 foot A to C cable (I ordered this and can vouch it works at least as well as any other cable I've found)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DMFB5OK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 16 ft extension cable (I can only vouch for the previous iteration of this cable that I ordered in 2017, but it should work)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O9VKVFK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 velcro straps

Total $35

If you velcro the end of the extension cable to the bottom of the back of the headstrap, it shouldn't pull on the usb connection where you plug in the cable to the headset. The 1 foot cable and velcro straps should also let you easily swap out the cable for a battery pack to add life to the headset and add a counterweight, which can make it more comfortable to use for longer periods anyway.

Thanks this is really helpful. Argh I'm really torn on this, it's an extra $250 for the Quest and I do mostly play tethered outside of rhythm games. The Odyssey has been good overall but the blurriness really bugs me. I guess I will sleep on it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

The Gunslinger posted:

Thanks this is really helpful. Argh I'm really torn on this, it's an extra $250 for the Quest and I do mostly play tethered outside of rhythm games. The Odyssey has been good overall but the blurriness really bugs me. I guess I will sleep on it.

On some level I think that most VR hardware you can get is actually pretty good and if things like the resolution/fov/whatever is bothering you it probably more means that the games you're playing aren't that engaging so you're noticing the hardware more, but also poo poo being blurry I find uniquely infuriating so if this is impacting your enjoyment then I think it could be worthwhile. If you tether with the Quest it'll also be noticeably less resolution, but not bad/unsuable. If you do sims and stuff you might find it hard to read text.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

Guessing you mean Dead Effect 2, actually a decent looter shooter especially considering when it came out.

yes! thank you holy poo poo.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2507216576060698/

They just released Star Trek Bridge Crew for the Quest. No crossbuy unfortunately, but hopefully the population gets a shot in the arm. I had a lot of fun playing this, I think it's worth it as long as there are other people to play with.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Turin Turambar posted:

Sigh, I'm trying to make ALVR work but it insists I don't have the VC++ 2015 redistributable (which I have, I already installed it and rebooted just in case).

It said the same to me and I had to install the newest version:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

I installed the x64 version from there and ALVR v8 worked just like v7 did.

also you're using this fork I assume:

https://github.com/JackD83/ALVR/releases

The Gunslinger posted:

About the Quest, is the battery life decent? I am reading 2 hours online which doesn't sound like much.

I've got a battery pack on the back of the Quest as a counterweight so it's basically got infinite battery life, but it's just shy of 3 hours game time without it. That's way more than I'd need unless more than one person was using it, like at a party or whatever.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 16, 2019

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hellsau posted:

It said the same to me and I had to install the newest version:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

I installed the x64 version from there and ALVR v8 worked just like v7 did.

also you're using this fork I assume:

https://github.com/JackD83/ALVR/releases

Heh. I even had that link marked as visited, so yeah, it's installed already. It's 14.0.24212. And yes, that fork, JackD83.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

No crossbuy is the dumbest loving poo poo.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Anyone playing touring karts? It just released on steam and boy howdy does a Mario Kart VR game sounds awesome

Theres another Mario Kart copycat thats coming next year called "Dash Dash World", that might be the one to wait for. Its currently in beta, and from the little i've heard it seems to be good. Its also going to be on PC and PSVR, but also Quest, so you're likely to have more luck finding games than Touring Karts thats only on PC and PS4.

Rookersh posted:

"full" gets thrown around a lot, but I'm guess you mean something like "you go through stages and its not just the same activity in an arena over and over with no story"? Theres not really a list that separates them that specifically, but I can name some ones worth looking into videos of to see if they seem interesting.

Doom 3 BFG. Theres an amazing vr mod for doom 3 that makes it play better than some VR native games, and with the cramped dark corridors, 100% dynamic lighting of doom3, and a flashlight in your hand its honestly an amazing fit for VR.

Skyrim and Fallout 4 VR. fallout 4 is far more of the garbage port, but they're also both just old games with varying levels of VR quality added on. If you already liked them you might be interested, but, its still skyrim and fallout 4.

Budget Cuts (1+2 now) Should fit that niche. Stealth moving around killing robots, with some quirks to the throwing and some mechanics but overall pretty well liked.

Edge of Nowhere, a 3rd person game like chronos, by Insomniac and set in a lovecraftian world in antarctica. I really loved this one, and its on sale often.

Wilson's Heart, a puzzle/adventure game, but honestly the puzzles are mostly so easy that it plays more like an interactive story. Cool black and white 50's horror setting, and a neat ~5-6 hour story to play through. Early game so its teleportation only which is often a criticism, but still a really cool experience.

Arktika.1 A shooter that like other earlier games is also teleportation based. Made by the developers of the metro games, its certainly beautiful. Lots of levels, missions, weapons and upgrades, and a neat setting. The way you teleport around to certain locations forces you to use your surroundings to move in and get cover for real, and almost feels like a VR version of a light gun game in that way.

Windlands 2 A game mostly about swinging around to reach the end of the level, the sequel added more of a campaign, weapons and bosses and co-op. Its much more fleshed out than the first.

Killing Floor Incursion, ironically this Killing Floor is a narrative game where you go through stages either alone or co-op, and NOT an arena shooter.

Talos Principle is a VR port of the original puzzle game, much like...

Obduction, also a VR port, which if you like puzzle games is also worth looking at.

Lucky's Tale is a (still i think?) free 3rd person platformer. Think mario 64 in VR, thats really adorable and pretty, worth playing for sure at the price of free.

Thats what I can think of off the top of my head right now at least for older VR games that might be missed now by all the new people jumping in.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tom Guycot posted:

Theres another Mario Kart copycat thats coming next year called "Dash Dash World", that might be the one to wait for. Its currently in beta, and from the little i've heard it seems to be good. Its also going to be on PC and PSVR, but also Quest, so you're likely to have more luck finding games than Touring Karts thats only on PC and PS4.

Touring Karts is actually really good. The devs give a poo poo. Theres a map editor or something coming/out? The community plays regularly. It has full size arcade setups. It MIGHT get a quest port, we'll see. They are also testing an iOS port. Cross platform compatible. Sooo Yeah quest might just come.

Been working with them for a bit. Def not idiots when it comes to dev things.

They also have a demo on steam. So. Just grab the demo and check it out. :)

EDIT: Oh hey

https://twitter.com/TouringKarts/status/1206652115558506496

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 16, 2019

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

No crossbuy is the dumbest loving poo poo.

Not that it couldn't be solved in a beeeeeter way (like saying just making the DLC free), but i can sort of see where ubisoft was coming from given that the quest version includes the TNG DLC with the game, so if you already owned it on PC, but didn't buy the DLC, it might be a little screwy having the version with the DLC on the Quest only.

... Again, not saying it wouldn't be better to have it and just include the DLC on PC as well, but :shrug:

EbolaIvory posted:

Touring Karts is actually really good. The devs give a poo poo. Theres a map editor or something. The community plays regularly. It has full size arcade setups. It MIGHT get a quest port, we'll see. They are also testing an iOS port. Cross platform compatible. Sooo Yeah quest might just come.

Been working with them for a bit. Def not idiots when it comes to dev things.

They also have a demo on steam. So. Just grab the demo and check it out. :)

EDIT: Oh hey

https://twitter.com/TouringKarts/status/1206652115558506496

Hey thats cool to hear, glad to see they're trying to bring it over. One good thing with the Quest's heavily curated store is at least the apps that do make it on and are multiplayer, stand a much better chance of getting good player counts than on PC where they can get buried by other software.

EDIT: Also, theres several kart games, what I REALLY want to see is someone make a cool Interstate 76 VR game.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 16, 2019

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Tom Guycot posted:

EDIT: Also, theres several kart games, what I REALLY want to see is someone make a cool Interstate 76 VR game.

The Children Are Burning VR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfAHtdMWcMA

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Taintrunner posted:

AS is an incredibly early VR game. I ragequit after the dark mine sequence where a bunch of zombies came to intrude my personal space. It isn't great. Frankly, the Quest isn't great.

The Quest is great.

Arizona Sunshine is trash on every platform.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Man... that would be so cool. Cruising around in old 70's boats, one hand on the wheel, grabbing a shotgun laying in the passenger seat, hitting some switches around the cab to activate flamethrowers and boosters, and grabbing a virtual CB mic to communicate with people in trucker lingo.

Ugh, someone make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There is a mario kart VR game :) you just can’t buy it to play at home I guess

https://www.bandainamco-am.co.uk/virtual-reality/vr-zone-portal/mario-kart-vr/

I played it last year and it was pretty cool but it seemed to be like one course everyone played only and it was over really quickly

I wonder if this sorta thing is piratable