Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ethiser posted:

Kudelia being into Mika always felt extremely forced in the story. She knows enough of the world to know that he is super messed up and has some issues. Atra made sense due to the shared martian orphan stuff, but the Kudelia thing just seemed to happen because the writers wanted it to.

I agree, but Mika basically exemplifies all the things she's politically fighting to fix. Her having some personal interest in him makes a warped kind of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ethiser posted:

Kudelia being into Mika always felt extremely forced in the story. She knows enough of the world to know that he is super messed up and has some issues. Atra made sense due to the shared martian orphan stuff, but the Kudelia thing just seemed to happen because the writers wanted it to.

Unless I'm mistaken, isn't the entire basis of their relationship her feeling bad some kids died, him going "get over yourself, chump" and walking away like he does to basically everyone, and then her instantly falling in love with him?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Neither relationship seemed inherently exploitative so I'm willing to give it a pass. Besides, it's the far future, maybe that's one of the few things society is more progressive about.

McGillis' backstory, on the other hand... :stonkhat:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

One thing I forgot before I played Cross Rays is also that Naze Turbine drops all sorts of casual homophobia which is loving rich from a dude they're trying to make argue for non-standard relationships.

Yeah I didn't even recall that stuff and went into super "What the hell" mode when I got to their introductory stage. I don't know if the show subs went in a different direction with that or what, maybe I just paid more attention to game text, but I was thrown off hard by it.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

That reminds me, I recently started rewatching ZZ, and while I agree that Mashmyre is an annoying piece of poo poo, are the homophobic slurs really necessary Judau? Maybe it's just a quirk of the subs I was watching, but still :eng99:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's called bulge cannon in cross rays

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Tae posted:

It's called bulge cannon in cross rays

I think it was confirmed that "Bulge" was the official translation a little while back..

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

Yeah I didn't even recall that stuff and went into super "What the hell" mode when I got to their introductory stage. I don't know if the show subs went in a different direction with that or what, maybe I just paid more attention to game text, but I was thrown off hard by it.

I actually was so surprised by it that I went back and watched the episodes to check and no that dialogue is there. Even the dub has it.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I actually was so surprised by it that I went back and watched the episodes to check and no that dialogue is there. Even the dub has it.

Which part is this exactly? I'm interested to see what they actually said in the Japanese.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Nuebot posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, isn't the entire basis of their relationship her feeling bad some kids died, him going "get over yourself, chump" and walking away like he does to basically everyone, and then her instantly falling in love with him?

Mika doesn't usually give anyone the time of day, let alone bother to talk stuff out(in his misanthropic way) like he does with Kudelia. That and the two of them do spend a lot of time together, like her teaching him to read. Kudelia doesn't even really realize she's in love with him for a while, and even then she's perfectly happy to let it go in favor of letting Atra have at it until Atra springs the polygamy thing and then she's like "hey sure why not."

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

To an extent Atra is more invested in Kudelia and Mika being together than they are, because she is really into the idea of them all being a family.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

To an extent Atra is more invested in Kudelia and Mika being together than they are, because she is really into the idea of them all being a family.

To an extent?

I'd just say that Atra is more invested, no modifiers.

Kudelia has feeling for Mika, a whole complicated mess of them, ranging from her general feelings of wanting to help the abandoned children of Mars to Tekkadan being the only thing like a family she had when on the run from the government to Mika being the first boy she ever considered romantically at all (her breakdown about marriage after he kissed her says a lot). But mostly, she focuses on work, and realizes that anything serious with Mikazuki would be complicated in a way she really doesn't need to deal with when running one of the most influential NGOs in the Solar System before turning twenty.

Meanwhile, Mika's... Mika. He's not doing followup. His dream is to get to the place Orga told them about, and to run a farm. The other stuff might be nice, but it's not something he can do much about with his toolset. (His toolset is mostly murder).

Meanwhile, Atra loves both of them (probably romantically) and is doing pretty much all the legwork to make this thing happen.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Just watched Gundam Narrative for the first time last night and well ... It had a Gundam in it and it was set in UC. that's about all I can say about it

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tythas posted:

Just watched Gundam Narrative for the first time last night and well ... It had a Gundam in it and it was set in UC. that's about all I can say about it

Yep, that was pretty much how I felt about it last February IIRC...

Warmachine posted:

eVeN sO

NT felt like episode 1 of a new OVA that got aborted. The whole bit about closing the Newtype box because humanity isn't ready is a really tall order, even though we know they succeed. Like, F91, Victory, and G Reco exist. I have no idea how they're going to follow through on actually showing that. Actually, this movie felt a lot like Solo, in that the real meaty bit is in the stinger, and everything else is popcorn filler. It wasn't awful trash, but it's nothing to write home about, and certainly not going on any must-watch recommendation lists.

I did raise my eyebrow at Michelle's info dump in the middle though. That felt like it came out of nowhere. During the preview, the producer compared Newtype powers to The Force, and yeah, this movie definitely reinforces that. It is 100% The Force now.

For those who have read Hathaway's Flash, will that be answering any more of the question of how the Newtype genie gets put back in the bottle? Or can we assume that, given HF was written long before Unicorn was cooked up, that it won't be touching on that?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

chiasaur11 posted:

To an extent?

I'd just say that Atra is more invested, no modifiers.

Kudelia has feeling for Mika, a whole complicated mess of them, ranging from her general feelings of wanting to help the abandoned children of Mars to Tekkadan being the only thing like a family she had when on the run from the government to Mika being the first boy she ever considered romantically at all (her breakdown about marriage after he kissed her says a lot). But mostly, she focuses on work, and realizes that anything serious with Mikazuki would be complicated in a way she really doesn't need to deal with when running one of the most influential NGOs in the Solar System before turning twenty.

Meanwhile, Mika's... Mika. He's not doing followup. His dream is to get to the place Orga told them about, and to run a farm. The other stuff might be nice, but it's not something he can do much about with his toolset. (His toolset is mostly murder).

Meanwhile, Atra loves both of them (probably romantically) and is doing pretty much all the legwork to make this thing happen.

Remember that Mika's reaction to losing the use of his legs was relief because now he didn't need to worry about what he'd do in civilian life. As now he couldn't do anything except fight.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Warmachine posted:

Yep, that was pretty much how I felt about it last February IIRC...

I always thought Them closing the newtype box had to do with, psycho frame technology and them destroying or getting rid of all of it, since that technology is insanely dangerous in the wrong hands not somehow getting rid of newtypes or the "myth of newtypes" or whatever. Although it's really weird how Mineva and Banagher just unilaterally decide that they have the right to do this.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Monaghan posted:

I always thought Them closing the newtype box had to do with, psycho frame technology and them destroying or getting rid of all of it, since that technology is insanely dangerous in the wrong hands not somehow getting rid of newtypes or the "myth of newtypes" or whatever. Although it's really weird how Mineva and Banagher just unilaterally decide that they have the right to do this.

She is a princess. Unearned authority is kinda the whole deal

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RillAkBea posted:

Which part is this exactly? I'm interested to see what they actually said in the Japanese.

It is episode.. 5 or 6 I think? Right after Naze first appears during the conversation he has with Orga

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Newtype technology also includes Cyber Newtype enhancement, and Michelle's entire bit is trying to get a hold of the real McCoy to fix her adoptive father. Psycho tech is an offshoot of Newtypes, and without Newtypes, psycho tech is pretty whatever. Even in the hands of a Cyber Newtype, you don't really get things like the Axis Shock, or dismantling an entire squadron of mobile suits by winding back time. (Full Frontal's vision quest non-withstanding.)

It might be better stated as turning the truth of Newtypes into a myth. Focus on deflecting any attempts to pin the Axis Shock on Newtypes, bury the after action reports from the General Revil's postmortem of their mobile suit reactors. Do anything and everything to make Newtype synonymous with "ace pilot," and the truth of the matter loses all meaning. Thinking back on it now, that's a fuckload easier than trying to make people forget they even exist.

Put even more simply, they need to do to the knowledge of Newtypes what the Empire did to the Jedi: downplay their powers, make them fallible, and disenchant people.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Cross Rays made me realize I weirdly never watched wing before like episode 30.

What is the point of wu fei, he always felt like a last second addition story wise

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Tae posted:

What is the point of wu fei, he always felt like a last second addition story wise

He has a thing with Treize. Although even that feels like a combination of Wufei needing some kind of relationship with another character, and Treize having some spare time to kill

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tae posted:

Having watched the series several times over the past 20 years, I can confidently say I have no loving clue. To give Sally her own personal Gundam pilot?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Wu Fei is there to be the guy who sucks.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Wing really feels like they took the wrong lessons from G and just had to have 5 pilots as protagonists like them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Do you think the G Reco movies will get a dub?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Weird BIAS posted:

Wing really feels like they took the wrong lessons from G and just had to have 5 pilots as protagonists like them.

That may genuinely be true. Wing takes a lot from G, including patterning the Gundams after countries despite having no logical reason to do so in this setting. It's more subtle than in G, obviously, but it's still there.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

That may genuinely be true. Wing takes a lot from G, including patterning the Gundams after countries despite having no logical reason to do so in this setting. It's more subtle than in G, obviously, but it's still there.

To be fair they toned that way the hell down in the design phase and actually took out some of the distinctive "country related parts", IE the Heavyarms isn't LITERALLY a harlequin anymore.

On the other hand I'd be totally willing to believe they started with "five gundam pilots like in G Gundam" as the protagonist pitch and for whatever reasons didn't pull back and axe Wufei when it turned out he didn't matter.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Watching the 1st half made me miss stuff like Gundamium alloy being treated like dirt you find on the ground, when Zechs blew up a decoy gundam to hide the fact that he completely rebuilt a gundam

the consistency on how special gundams are in this universe is incredibly wonkey

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Monaghan posted:

When I saw NT back in Feb I always thought it was funny how they tried to nix psycho frame technology due to the danger, but then eventually stuff like the Angel Halo gets born which is 100x more dangerous than any bit of psycho frame tech

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Well the Gundam designs in Wing did start out as rejected G Gundam designs so that does make sense(same thing happened with the transition from Wing to X)

Honestly it's kinda funny how easy it probably would have been for them to have done a Robotech style mashing up of the 4 90's Gundam shows if them bringing Gundam to the US had been more planned(since Gundam Wing becoming such a success here was more of a happy accident than anything)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So an interesting thing about Cross Rays is that it has two pilots who technically never appeared in combat: Post-Destiny Kira and ELS Setsuna.

They're pretty interesting in how they characterized the characters. Post-Destiny Kira has apparently gone all-in on being willing to fight and seems to imply he isn't doing the pacifist thing anymore. Lots of dialogue about how he's accepted being a warrior, how he won't let anyone interfere with the peace again, that kind of stuff. ELS Setsuna on the other hand is alien in pretty much every sense of the word. He speaks in a flat monotone and never really expresses much emotion and when he discusses the past he speaks of it like it was lifetimes ago and he can't really remember it that well. ("Ah yes, I did armed interventions like this once, didn't I?") It's a stark contrast to regular Setsuna because his voice actor is very good but also just that he has completely transcended humanity.

It's a neat little thing but it's interesting to see how these characters exist 'past' the shows which likely will never get anything that actually addresses it.

Edit: Also it really drives home how 00 and IBO are different sides of the same coin. One is about a child soldier who literally joins the side of angels and eventually transcends humanity into a silver angelic being and the other is about a child soldier who is forced into becoming a demon naturally piloting a machine named after a demon which eventually becomes far more literal.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 17, 2019

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I figured closing the box was murdering all the scientists and destroying the prototypes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Azubah posted:

I figured closing the box was murdering all the scientists and destroying the prototypes.

That's what I assumed too. Destroying all the work that had been done. A kind of anti-Operation Paperclip

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Operation Southern Hospitality. A Gundam version of Delta Green.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

At least with srw, we see a lot of post destiny Kira.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Operation Southern Hospitality. A Gundam version of Delta Green.

Choose BGST. Choose the EFSF. Choose Londo Bell or the ECOAS. Choose lying to your superiors. Choose to ruin your career. Choose no friends. Choose divorce. Choose life through the bottom of a bottle. Choose destroying evidence and executing innocent people because they know too loving much. Choose black fatigues and matching gas masks. Choose an Marasai stolen from the Titans loaded with G-3, with a wide range of loving attachments. Choose blazing away at mind numbing, sanity crushing things from beyond the stars, wondering whether you'd be better off just opening your helmet. Choose The King In Yellow and waking up wondering who you are. Choose a 120mm retirement plan. Choose going out with a bang at the end of it all, PGP encrypting your last message down a securely laid cable as a SNRI wetworks squad busts through your door. Choose one last Night at the Opera. Choose Southern Hospitality.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

chumbler posted:

Wu Fei is there to be the guy who sucks.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Tae posted:

The original pilot of Shenlong was supposed to be his dead wife so he's just always playing second to someone better.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

chiasaur11 posted:

Choose BGST. Choose the EFSF. Choose Londo Bell or the ECOAS. Choose lying to your superiors. Choose to ruin your career. Choose no friends. Choose divorce. Choose life through the bottom of a bottle. Choose destroying evidence and executing innocent people because they know too loving much. Choose black fatigues and matching gas masks. Choose an Marasai stolen from the Titans loaded with G-3, with a wide range of loving attachments. Choose blazing away at mind numbing, sanity crushing things from beyond the stars, wondering whether you'd be better off just opening your helmet. Choose The King In Yellow and waking up wondering who you are. Choose a 120mm retirement plan. Choose going out with a bang at the end of it all, PGP encrypting your last message down a securely laid cable as a SNRI wetworks squad busts through your door. Choose one last Night at the Opera. Choose Southern Hospitality.

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Tae posted: