Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Luna Was Here posted:

So a friend of mine has an old PS4 with P.T. on it, and I was looking to copy it onto his current PS4 (he picked up a PS4 Pro and gave his old launch model to another friend of ours) since he didn't copy it over when he first got the PS4, since he didn't plan on playing through it any time soon. Now we're looking to get it copied over so both of us can have it on the PS4 and the PS4 Pro, the problem being that the PS4 Pro has been in use for a bit. It's my current understanding that the only methods of transferring poo poo from one PS4 to another are through system transfers, where the "old PS4" is used to initialize (and format) the "new PS4", or using an external hard drive.

My issue with the former is I don't want to format the PS4 and have to redownload everything on it (saves aren't an issue since they can just be backed up with PS+) and my issue with the latter is I want to copy it and have it available on the old PS4 and the PS4 Pro, instead of just one at a time (which is the way that it's worded on the Support Page for External Hard Drives, that it isn't copying anything, just moving it from the PS4 to the external hard drive). Are there any other ways to go about what I want to do or is my best option the System Transfer and then re-downloading of everything?

You can transfer installed games as part of a system transfer, you don't need to redownload them. And doing a system transfer leaves the original PS4 intact, so all your stuff including PT will be there as well.

Lost my copy of PT in a disk failure last month. Rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

acksplode posted:

You can transfer installed games as part of a system transfer, you don't need to redownload them. And doing a system transfer leaves the original PS4 intact, so all your stuff including PT will be there as well.

Lost my copy of PT in a disk failure last month. Rip

i'm aware of old console being fine, its all of the poo poo currently downloaded on the PS4 Pro that I don't want to erase and have to redownload that I'm cautious about. The PS4 Pro (the new ps4 that we would be transferring PT to) has been in use for about a year and a half and having to download the ~800GB worth of poo poo on there a second time would suck, which I want to avoid (data caps are fortunately not an issue, just time)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Someone remade the whole thing in dreams already

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Just play a freakin Youtube of it, it’s 100% the same experience

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Luna Was Here posted:

i'm aware of old console being fine, its all of the poo poo currently downloaded on the PS4 Pro that I don't want to erase and have to redownload that I'm cautious about. The PS4 Pro (the new ps4 that we would be transferring PT to) has been in use for about a year and a half and having to download the ~800GB worth of poo poo on there a second time would suck, which I want to avoid (data caps are fortunately not an issue, just time)

Ah my bad. I haven't tried this but I'm pretty sure you can move the games installed on your pro to an external drive, do the system transfer, and then move them back from the external to the reinitialized pro. For that matter, you might be able to just back up PT to an external, plug it in to the pro, and then move it to the system's hard drive.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Right in the middle of Wattam update and my internet picked the best time to poo poo itself right there.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
For anyone who has ever asked for a good kids game in this thread, Wattam is the greatest kids game on PS4, I'm only like 10 minutes in but it just is.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There's ways to get PT back on the system if you have it on the account.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Pretty.Tedious.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is that really going to be an orphaned demo forever? I can't immediately think of anything else like it in the history of digital distribution of games.

There are games that have been disappeared before, but none so well-regarded or as part of such a melodramatic context. Usually crappy promo games whose license/campaign expired.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

pboring ttroll

haveblue posted:

There are games that have been disappeared before, but none so well-regarded or as part of such a melodramatic context. Usually crappy promo games whose license/campaign expired.

the scott pilgrim game is a pretty well liked brawler that actually cost money and is just gone

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

pboring ttroll

Hideo is a troll, yes.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
What does increasing Shield Strength do in Control? I only have it at level 2 and my shield can seemingly block any attack in the game for an infinite amount of time? Why would I need to increase it more via the skill tree or mods? I just fought essej and could tank all of her different types of attacks infinitely with my shield.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think those peekaboo invisible guys cause damage through lower level shields? Come one correct me if I’m wrong

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Luna Was Here posted:

So a friend of mine has an old PS4 with P.T. on it, and I was looking to copy it onto his current PS4 (he picked up a PS4 Pro and gave his old launch model to another friend of ours) since he didn't copy it over when he first got the PS4, since he didn't plan on playing through it any time soon. Now we're looking to get it copied over so both of us can have it on the PS4 and the PS4 Pro, the problem being that the PS4 Pro has been in use for a bit. It's my current understanding that the only methods of transferring poo poo from one PS4 to another are through system transfers, where the "old PS4" is used to initialize (and format) the "new PS4", or using an external hard drive.

My issue with the former is I don't want to format the PS4 and have to redownload everything on it (saves aren't an issue since they can just be backed up with PS+) and my issue with the latter is I want to copy it and have it available on the old PS4 and the PS4 Pro, instead of just one at a time (which is the way that it's worded on the Support Page for External Hard Drives, that it isn't copying anything, just moving it from the PS4 to the external hard drive). Are there any other ways to go about what I want to do or is my best option the System Transfer and then re-downloading of everything?

If it’s still in his purchase history, just do this: http://wololo.net/2016/04/10/how-to-redownload-p-t-silent-hills/

Involves some weird CLI based proxy poo poo, so maybe use a VM, but I’ve done this on two PS4s including a Pro with no issues.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Megasabin posted:

What does increasing Shield Strength do in Control? I only have it at level 2 and my shield can seemingly block any attack in the game for an infinite amount of time? Why would I need to increase it more via the skill tree or mods? I just fought essej and could tank all of her different types of attacks infinitely with my shield.

There are a few bosses that you'll want higher shield strength for, but yeah, I didn't find that the ability failed me a lot, mainly because you can move around so reliably with it...even late game when you get the ability to _______

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Wattam is more similar to Death Stranding than we thought

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is that really going to be an orphaned demo forever? I can't immediately think of anything else like it in the history of digital distribution of games.

I guess that demo of Mega Man Legends 3 they were going to put out but then didn't kinda counts. Sorta. Not really.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Speaking of Mega Man and Hideo Kojima, I want Hideo Kojima's Mega Man. Capcom, give him carte blanche.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Hey, VideoGames, what's going on? Are you still with us? Things seem tense. I hope you're alright, both online and offline. :love:

Hey BP. This is from a while back, but just confirming a resounding yes! I am still here. Things are weird and last week was a mix of the highest highs and the lowest lows. (The forums imploding and the UK election being the lows, I got engaged to Lady VG being the high) so I have mostly been keeping to myself and not really interacting here much.

I just caught up on the 1900 odd posts I was behind and am back to posting in all my places again :) I really do appreciate yours (and others) concern and this is why this is my most favouritest thread on the forums! :heart:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Just occurred to me that I beat all of Control on hard without using the shield....I'm sure it would've made some of the fights easier (especially those invisible assholes)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

VideoGames posted:

Hey BP. This is from a while back, but just confirming a resounding yes! I am still here. Things are weird and last week was a mix of the highest highs and the lowest lows. (The forums imploding and the UK election being the lows, I got engaged to Lady VG being the high) so I have mostly been keeping to myself and not really interacting here much.

I just caught up on the 1900 odd posts I was behind and am back to posting in all my places again :) I really do appreciate yours (and others) concern and this is why this is my most favouritest thread on the forums! :heart:
Congratulations! That's way more important than anything that happens on this old dead forum.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The shield in Control is really good. Staggers normal dudes long enough to get a Shatter blast to the dome/noggin, works with all of Jesse's movement skills, activates faster and in a greater arc than the animation would have you believe. There's definitely a boss in the Central Research mold area where you'd really benefit from having strength maxed out.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Congrats on your engagement VG!!!!!!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You should celebrate your engagement by playing the last guardian.

Haha jk jk but for real tho

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Regy Rusty posted:

You should celebrate your engagement by playing the last guardian.

Haha jk jk but for real tho

I mean, I wasn't gonna say it, but . . . .

I was going to say congratulations on the engagement, and that I've enjoyed watching you and your fiance play TLG and I'm looking forward to watching you two play more of it!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Imhotep posted:

Wattam is more similar to Death Stranding than we thought

I can’t wait to play this, I love Keita Takahashi!

VideoGames posted:

I got engaged to Lady VG being the high

Congratulations! :3:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FNOKSwkg5U

Whaaaa paddles?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

I like it, except I wouldn't be able to use my battery pack with it and I'm assuming it would make the built in battery drain even faster

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

VideoGames posted:

I got engaged to Lady VG

F

Wait, I guess it's like square for this thread?

Oh no my joke is ruined. Anyway, congrats!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That's awesome and I hope this is indicative of what they'll do for the PS5. It says there are 16 possible inputs so I hope that includes L3 and R3. Would be worth buying for that alone.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I think they should've gone for four buttons instead of two, just to fully dunk on the XBOne Elite controller for a fraction of the price.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm the OLED screen that spends most of its life on the bottom of the device

What is it with Sony and making stuff emit light in places the user's eyes will never see

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dewgy posted:

If it’s still in his purchase history, just do this: http://wololo.net/2016/04/10/how-to-redownload-p-t-silent-hills/

Involves some weird CLI based proxy poo poo, so maybe use a VM, but I’ve done this on two PS4s including a Pro with no issues.

This is probably the easiest way, but another option, if you have a spare external that the PS4 lets you use as external storage, is the following:

- Have P.T. on the internal storage.
- Format the external for game storage.
- Move P.T. to it.
- Plug the drive into a PC, clone the drive using whatever software will do it.
- Plus the hard drive back into the source PS4
- Move P.T. to the internal storage of the source PS4.
- Plug the drive back into your PC, do a full restore of the clone image you took earlier to that drive.
- Plug the external into the destination PS4.
- Move the install to your internal storage.

You can restore the clone again to copy to further PS4s if desired.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Lobok posted:

That's awesome and I hope this is indicative of what they'll do for the PS5. It says there are 16 possible inputs so I hope that includes L3 and R3. Would be worth buying for that alone.

It really feels like they are future proofing the DS4 and the DS5 will include those buttons by default.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lunar detritus posted:

It really feels like they are future proofing the DS4 and the DS5 will include those buttons by default.

It's really the only sane improvement to the stock controller format , so I wouldn't be surprised if that's actually the case.

The OLED screen is just massively over-engineered and unnecessary though.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

VideoGames posted:

I got engaged to Lady VG

congrats! :toot:

this seems like a weird thing to add at the end of the generation, but I guess people will still probably use the DS4 for a while. maybe the controller will be forwards compatible, which would be nice

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1206943464849584131?s=20

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Can you keep playing Wattam after finishing the game? I basically just need a bright, dumb, cheerful playground to tool around in when I'm not sober.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How much is that? That oled screen has to make it way more expensive than it needs to be