Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Although not in the tower, if you run into a good boy or girl pupperoni sometime soon I request you name them Daigoro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KarmaKummitus
Aug 4, 2012
Cubone, instead of cube and bone;

cub

bone

Did not think of this before. Perhaps should have. Very appropriate.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I would like to put in a formal request for a Cubone named BONE?! because I'm on a Brooklyn 99 kick right now

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's funny, I've been reading through the Games thread for Sword/Shield and people were complaining how there aren't sprawling dungeons any more like Rock Tunnel was.

Ah, rose-tinted glasses...

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Just because rock tunnel was a bad dungeon doesn't mean the rest were, though. Unless they were explicitly choosing rock tunnel as their choice of a cool dungeon.

That would be stupid. Like wishing for bonus bosses with cool rewards like jrpgs where you get the best sword for beating a boss harder than the final boss after beating the entire game up to the final boss including half its dungeon.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I mean, what kind of reward would you give a bonus superboss, aside from cheevos?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Commander Keene posted:

I mean, what kind of reward would you give a bonus superboss, aside from cheevos?

It's less about what and more about when.

This game provides a good example in the electric and ice thingies compared to the fire psychic ones.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Legitimately at this point in my life i still have a moment of anger/ennui/frustration when i imagine a tunnel in a pokemon game.

Fuckin zubats

Also name a cubone Bambi

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

In all honesty tunnels became much less offensive when I realized the games through you ample money to just repel your way through.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

ZeusCannon posted:

Legitimately at this point in my life i still have a moment of anger/ennui/frustration when i imagine a tunnel in a pokemon game.

Fuckin zubats

It's a great opportunity to power level your electric and/or rock pokes.

But yeah if you can't one-shot them or run consistently it suuuucks.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I actually just had Az torching all of the Zubats. But yeah, if I hadn't trudged through this place without Repels we probably wouldn't be seeing a Primeape for another five updates.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
They'd Have Greater Life Expectancy If There Was a Gym Here

Last time we went through the longest cave. This time...

We read billboards?

I think they're the spirits of POKEMON that the ROCKETS killed.

She was killed trying to get away...

Well, this got dark quickly. Also, this is the music that plays while you're in town.

Come to think of it, have we even met a Team Rocket goon since that burglary back in Cerulean?

There's a lot of interest in Cubones all of a sudden. Also I'm still pronouncing it "Q-Bone" even though somebody pointed out the actual joke in the name, because "cuh-bone" sounds silly. :colbert:

Towers are calming? :confused:

If people aren't talking about dead Cubones around here, they're talking about ghosts. I'm not going to give in to peer pressure!

:ghost: That white hand on your shoulder... I'm just imagining it.

I'm assuming this kid tries this joke on every visitor.

So Lavender town specializes in the... funeral industry? I guess?

The building next to that guy is some kind of Pokemon Humane Society, but according to the kids, the man who runs the place is nowhere to be seen.

This girl's in one of the houses to the south. The game's suddenly all about Team Rocket again.

ARGLEBLAARG

Next door to the girl and her Cubone is the famous Name Rater! :woop:

No matter who I put up, he said their name was "decent" and offered to rename them. I didn't take him up on it. I guess this is how you change your crew's names if you decide you didn't like them?

The Pokemon Mart has generic advice about items... and this guy, who tells us about the possibility of multi-trainer battles. Foreshadowing?

Also, the store sells Great Balls. I have two already (:heysexy: ) but I take the opportunity to load up anyway.

And... that's actually it for Lavender Town. No Gym, strangely, which means no badges and presumably no new abilities. South leads back to the sleeping Snorlax, while west leads to Saffron City, which the game has thus far avoided letting me visit.

We have no real direction at this point, so we may as well check out the tower while we're here. Maybe we can becalm some useful Pokemon while we're here.

Swanky.

The first floor of the tower is just various people here to pay respects end/or mourn their departed pets.

There are spirits up to mischief. I sense them high in the TOWER.

:ohdear:

That's a lot of dead Pokemon.

A lot of dead Pokemon.

Also... somebody I recognize. Maybe I can surprise him for a change. This time, Kaz, the 'mon will be in the other ball!

:sigh:

:smug: Is your POKEMON dead?

Wait, were you actually concerned about me?

:doh:

Aaaand we're off to the races again.

Kaz's Pidgey Mk. II is still flammable.

When he brings in his main, I initially send Flounder, but it turns out that we can just kind of slowly chip away at each other with bites and tackles.

I swap out for Amuro, who manages to take him down faster, but barely pulls through.

Az just kinda swats the Growlithe out of the way.

And as for... wait, what?

what the hell is that thing

You break eggs by hitting them, right? Punchy Monkey is the right choice for this, right?

Since when do eggs have psychic powers!?

:pwn:

Zerk just manages to finish the eggy horror off before it kills her.

And last but not least, we have Fu Manchu Fox Spoon Bender Thing.

It knows Confusion now, so I guess that's something for Lalah to look forward to, but it doesn't make much difference. I may be just a tad overleveled.

:smug: I took it easy on you, too!

Bite me, Kaz.

I can't find the bigger MAROWAK. Where could they be? I bet there aren't any left!

More Cubone hints.

...unlike you. Smell ya later!

:mad:

A SILPH SCOPE might be able to unmask them.

The channeler at the stairs to 3F has a warning for us. Eh, what's the worst that could happen? I do go back and heal up first, though.

I think the channelers might've overdone it on the incense a little bit.

Well that's not a nice way to say hello.

Undeadmon?

Az can one-shot it with Ember, though. Hopefully we can keep one "alive" long enough to catch it.

That's ominous.

:keke:

This Channeler had a Gastly as well, which met the same fate.

What? No! It was in a Pokeball! Which you threw at me!

So, Pokemon Tower is full of Channelers, nearly all of whom just have a single Gastly. For the most part they have some variant of GRR ARRGH as a greeting and then say some variant of "oh no, I was possessed!" after Az oneshots them.

Also, Az finally learns a second Fire attack.

I haven't... had any trouble identifying ghosts, though?

...Oh.

So, the tower also has random encounters, which appear as "the GHOST" and can't be ID'd. No matter who I put up, they get too scared to make any attacks.

Thankfully, all the ghosts seem to do is howl at you to go away, which has no apparent effect on your guys. You can just run away afterward, so not having a Silph Scope doesn't seem to be stopping us from progressing (aside from not being able to catch anything).

:ghost: BWAHAHA I HAVE POSSESSED THIS MAIDEN BUT IF YOU JOIN THE AXIS CHURCH SHE MAY BE SAVED wait where are you going

No beatings here, just burnings.

This really is a lot of gravestones, though.

A few years ago I worked on a visual novel translation, and one scene in a cemetery referred to "thousands" of gravestones.

I figured it had to be a mistranslation until the translator sent me some photos of Japanese and Chinese cemeteries, with the stones packed so closely together that there wasn't even room to move among them.

So I guess this is like that, except for Pokemon.

N.o.e.s.c.a.p.e.!

And this just makes me think of that "I want your everything!" line that the Bodyconians in Shin Megami Tensei would yell before attacking you.

Also, the only non-Gastly we meet in the tower is this Haunter, which is actually tough enough to survive an Ember.

It proceeds to confuse Az, who knocks off half of his own health before finally landing another hit. Yeesh.

In the middle of the fifth (?) floor there's a free recharge space, which I'm happy to use after that last encounter.

When all else fails, use fire.

We've got to be getting near the top now.

:stonk:

Angelica here has three Pokemon, but they're all Gastlies.

In a sobering twist, she wasn't actually possessed, but nobody took her seriously when she said she needed to go to the hospital.

Ke? Ke ke.

I feel like they're getting less articulate the higher we go.

Uh?

Uh.

Finally, before the stairs to the seventh floor, we run into this.

It's another unidentifiable ghost, but this one won't let us pass. Looks like we'll need that Silph Scope after all.

Of course, we have no idea where to get one.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I actually don't remember Rocket killing Pokemon. That's dark.
I thought the worst was Cipher in Colloseum and XD since they were all about turning Pokemon into tools of destruction

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

There was a recent phone game called Magikarp Splash where Pidgeotto could swoop down from the sky and kill one of your Pokemon. It was shocking because that's never been possible in any of the main games, your own party can only get knocked out.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

I actually don't remember Rocket killing Pokemon. That's dark.
I thought the worst was Cipher in Colloseum and XD since they were all about turning Pokemon into tools of destruction

Yup, this only really happened in Gen 1, and they kept it in for the remakes.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It is pronounced Q-bone, unless the anime had it wrong. Feeling pretty dumb for never noticing the pun though.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

As a 40 year old who's never played these games, I just picked up Alpha Sapphire because of this thread. It's much more fun than thought.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Seyser Koze posted:

And as for... wait, what?

what the hell is that thing
If you get one of these, I suggest naming it Facepalm.

Quantum Toast fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jan 5, 2020

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Fun fact, this Kanto place in Pokemon is based off of the actual Japanese Kanto area, and Lavender Town is around the area where I live! There's not much out here that really helps make it stand out from other places in Japan, but I do recall that on the ocean in one of the port towns around this area is apparently "The Most Eastern Facing Buddha in Japan" or something, and so the temple near it is a fairly decent tourist location, especially around New Years. Most of the touristy locations I hear around this area are beautiful temples or shrines, some of which even have petting zoos or other gimmicks to attract more tourists, so I guess it fits that Lavender Town is all about spirits and channelers.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
Holy crap I just realized I've lived in both Vermilion and Fuchsia.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

That's pretty cool. I know I learned a while ago that "oh lots of pokemon regions are based on real places" but it never occurred to me beyond major capitals that, no really, some of these are Real Places simplified for a children's game.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Did you notice your rival's missing a Pokemon?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Bloodly posted:

Did you notice your rival's missing a Pokemon?

His Raticate isn't dead. That's just a silly fan theory. His pre-battle dialogue isn't even hostile or emotional in any way. :argh:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

His Raticate isn't dead. That's just a silly fan theory. His pre-battle dialogue isn't even hostile or emotional in any way. :argh:

Probably released it more likely than not honestly. I’d totally take Raticate to E4 myself, mostly because...I have a soft spot for rodents of all shapes and sizes.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Kemix posted:

Probably released it more likely than not honestly. I’d totally take Raticate to E4 myself, mostly because...I have a soft spot for rodents of all shapes and sizes.

I think my original E4 team was Blastoise, Gyarados, Raticate, Pidgeot, Clefable, and Haunter. Gyarados swept Gary.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Facade Raticate is fun, for sure.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
If Gary's operating on the same game mechanics as us (and there's no reason to think he isn't, unless we literally have plot armor on account of being the protagonist), then his Raticate is probably just chilling in one of his boxes while he runs with his current party.

What I want to know is what the hell Gary was doing in the next place he inexplicably pops up, but we'll ask those questions when we get there.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's definitely in the box. He mentions that he just caught a Cubone and he doesn't have it here either. Not only that, his team already has a Normal/Flying type, so Raticate is redundant.

Seyser Koze posted:

This isn't really worth teaching to anybody at this point.

Personally, I would've put that on Primeape!

Seyser Koze posted:

:ghost: That white hand on your shoulder... I'm just imagining it.

I'm assuming this kid tries this joke on every visitor.

Yeah, it's just a funny joke. Nothing to be alarmed about.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jan 8, 2020

ZevGun
Sep 6, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

It's definitely in the box. He mentions that he just caught a Cubone and he doesn't have it here either. Not only that, his team already has a Normal/Flying type, so Raticate is redundant.

Thinking about this from a game design point of view, the devs could be trying to teach the player that you don't have to stick with the first few pokemon you capture all game, or maybe that changing the team is required at times since a Raticate would be pretty worthless in a ghost filled area.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Gary has apparently caught "over 40" kinds of pokemon by the S.S. Anne (unclear if he's counting evolutions or not), yet is still using the dumb rat and not even travelling with a full team of six. He's some combination of a liar and an idiot.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Can you even encounter 40 different kinds of Pokemon by the SS Ann? That's like almost a 1/4 of them all.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

ItBreathes posted:

Can you even encounter 40 different kinds of Pokemon by the SS Ann? That's like almost a 1/4 of them all.
He's somehow managed to catch an Exeggcute already, so who knows what he's been finding?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

ItBreathes posted:

He's an NPC. He's not bound by the same rules we are. For all we know he's been to Johto and he's not really missing team members, we were just put into a state of shock by the sheer adorableness that is Totodile

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
He's probably trading Pokemon a lot more than you are.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ItBreathes posted:

Not encounter, but if you grind excessively and fully evolve everything catchable by that point, then yeah, it's doable.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

ItBreathes posted:

I think it's possible if you count evolutions (some of which would be pretty OP for that point in the game but he might have them in a box for some reason)

In team:
Starter + Evolution
Rattata + Raticate
Abra + Kadabra
Pidgey + Pidgeotto

In boxes:
Spearow + Fearow
Caterpie + Metapod + Butterfree
Weedle + Kakuna + Beedrill
Pikachu
Zubat + Golbat
Geodude + Graveller
Paras + Parasect
Nidoran (m) + Nidorino + Nidoking*
Nidoran (f) + Nidorina + Nidoqueen*
Mankey + Primeape
Ekans/Sandshrew + Arbok/Sandslash (version exclusives)
Drowzee + Hypno
Meowth + Persian
Jigglypuff + Wigglytuff*
Clefairy + Clefable*
Oddish/Bellsprout + Gloom/Weepinbell (version exclusives)
Diglett + Dugtrio
Magikarp (presumably no Gyarados as not in his team yet)

* - only three Moon Stones available

Makes 45 total, unless I've hosed up somewhere.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 8, 2020

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

sebzilla posted:

We only have 3 available because Gary took them all. He's a jerk.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

God drat you're right. I bet he took a bunch of neat fossils, too.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I bet he forced some trades with people too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

sebzilla posted:

Makes 45 total, unless I've hosed up somewhere.

You're thinking of RBY here, and it's 45 if you include Golem. Can only get two Moon Stones, since the third requires Cut to get to.

But in FRLG that doesn't matter since you can get 4 Moon Stones (or more for some reason) in Mt Moon, since wild Clefairy can hold Moon Stones rarely.