Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Mooey Cow posted:

They should have made him come back but a bit charred and missing both arms, then he says "Arm me!" and two SITH TROOPERS come holding a prosthetic arm each and attach them to the Emperor. He then says "Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and operational Emperor!!!" and is about to blast some lightning, but his arms fall off, and Leslie Nielsen says "Oh-ho!!" and the Emperor runs away saying "Leave me alone I'm an unarmed man".
You've given more thought and consideration to that single scene than any in the sequel trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.
Why on earth are people buying tickets to see this movie? You're just going to encourage them to keep making more!!

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
It's a required work event. My boss buys the staff tickets to any marvel/star wars premier and gets really irate if you can't go for whatever reason.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

my dog died im sad posted:

It's a required work event. My boss buys the staff tickets to any marvel/star wars premier and gets really irate if you can't go for whatever reason.

Ask for cash instead.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

I’m assuming you’re not getting paid.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Lmao this is the funniest thing I've ever read itt

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!

QuarkJets posted:

People who say they're going to buy a ticket for Cats and then sneak into Star Wars are seriously dumb.

First of all, you're sneaking into a movie that you already know will be bad, so good job idiot. I'll offer you the bargain of a lifetime, pay me $5 instead of going to the movies and I'll let you watch some paint dry. Hey I'm also starting a lottery, buy some Quarkjets' MegaBuck$$$ tickets and maybe you'll get lucky and become a bazillionaire (no refunds).

Second, if you really must see this movie then depriving a cash grab like Star Wars of your movie ticket money is cool and good but don't just buy a ticket for a different cash grab like Cats whose target demographic is sex weirds. Instead buy a ticket to an actually good movie, like Dark Waters or Knives Out, or that tom hanks mr rogers movie looks nice maybe you could buy a ticket to that.

Welp, looks like Cats is getting my money

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012
I'm committed to seeing this. I've watched all the prequels and sequel trilogy in theater so far so I might as well finish it. Hell, I saw all the Resident Evil movies in theater so I feel that I've trained enough to survive ROS.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Lol at trying to vote with your wallet against disney. It’s Disneytown Jake

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Most of the first impressions seem to be positive with a few outliers so I'm looking forward to seeing this. Based on everything I've heard about the film so far I'm guessing that reviewers who were fans of TFA and who are generally just fans of a traditional star wars story will enjoy it and give it a good review, the reviewers who love to be contrary and adored TLJ will hate it because it plays it safe and puts the series back on the tracks after Rian's derailment.

I think the general audience and most itt who don't give a gently caress about being subversive and just want a fun star wars film will come out of it satisfied though. But like TFA we'll come out enjoying it and just shrug and say it was OK a few months later.

There's zero expectations for this I think and the best we can hope for is a competently made adventure film and that's JJ's specialty.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Mooey Cow posted:

They should have made him come back but a bit charred and missing both arms, then he says "Arm me!" and two SITH TROOPERS come holding a prosthetic arm each and attach them to the Emperor. He then says "Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and operational Emperor!!!" and is about to blast some lightning, but his arms fall off, and Leslie Nielsen says "Oh-ho!!" and the Emperor runs away saying "Leave me alone I'm an unarmed man".

Movies.

but what about the hulk hogan cameo?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I'm seeing this, but I'll be smoking a fat blunt beforehand, so I'll probably just zone out and then realize how much I hated it a few days later.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Just Chamber posted:

Most of the first impressions seem to be positive with a few outliers

If even a portion of the kind of people who get to go to these sneak peek events come out saying it's bad, the movie is going to be terrible.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

lofi posted:

Ask for cash instead.

I would if I could.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Colonel Cancer posted:

Lmao this is the funniest thing I've ever read itt

He's dressing up as elder Luke for the movie and won't shut the gently caress up about it at work.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to a dope rear end thai place and then seeing this in glorious 2D at 10:30 .can't wait!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

He's dressing up as elder Luke for the movie and won't shut the gently caress up about it at work.

Go as Jarjar :getin:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Already so many bad reviews. It’s shocking how quick Russian bots and Nazis work!

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

lofi posted:

Go as Jarjar :getin:

He would probably like that. When I told him I didn't care for ironman 3 he got really mad at me and barely said a word to me for a week.
So to maintain the peace in the work place I will be going to see Star Wars.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Leon Einstein posted:

I'm seeing this, but I'll be smoking a fat blunt beforehand, so I'll probably just zone out and then realize how much I hated it a few days later.

:respek:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It sounds like it's exactly what everyone was expecting and it's a slightly longer, slightly darker TFA. I'll enjoy watching it. My hope is that the entire thing isn't JJ's standard frenetic style but I'm sure that's a futile hope.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

QuarkJets posted:

. Instead buy a ticket to an actually good movie, like Dark Waters or Knives Out,

Both these movies are good. Dark Waters is good. Knives Out is a fun little murder mystery. Rain Johnson really knows how to create a fun little character based film. Of course, to me he’s always going to be the man who forever destroyed Star Wars .

And for that, I truly thank him.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I was watching The Mandalorian last night and in it some dude sets off a distress signal from a ship and the New Republic sends a squad of 3 X-Wings to check it out. It occurred to me as it happened that some rando guard was able to push a button and summon a larger New Republic military force than any we've seen them bring to bear against the First Order in either of the first two Sequel movies, because they actually haven't brought any force to bear at all and it's all been some weird para-military group in the Resistance.

Anyway I thought it was pretty funny, thanks for reading.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Are they gonna try to tie that show in with the movie since it's been so successful? Like did the last minute edits include jamming a baby Yoda into the movie?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Sydin posted:

I was watching The Mandalorian last night and in it some dude sets off a distress signal from a ship and the New Republic sends a squad of 3 X-Wings to check it out. It occurred to me as it happened that some rando guard was able to push a button and summon a larger New Republic military force than any we've seen them bring to bear against the First Order in either of the first two Sequel movies, because they actually haven't brought any force to bear at all and it's all been some weird para-military group in the Resistance.

Anyway I thought it was pretty funny, thanks for reading.

I thought the way the prison ship worked kind of helped support how the New Republic dismisses of the FO as just another "fringe warlord cosplaying empire" threat. Better than anything they actually set up in TFA itself, TBH.

5 years after Endor they're drawn down to the point where they staff a ship full of dangerous prisoners, including at least one uniformed Imperial die-hard officer, with one guy with a panic button and a bunch of robots.

25 more years they would be tired enough of all these Star Wars to say "sure, sure, senator leia, the first order out in the middle of nowhere is building a super weapon and isn't just another pissant german documentarian with a handful of grubby 60 year old stormtroopers. We'll send it to the defense subcommittee for investigation. Anyway moving on to space-wheat subsidies for Naboo...."

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
It would be a big lol if the next episode of the Mandalorian pulls bigger than JJ Abram's Return to the Mayhem.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Are they gonna try to tie that show in with the movie since it's been so successful? Like did the last minute edits include jamming a baby Yoda into the movie?

The special edition release of TLJ will replace the porgs with baby yodas

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Dean of Swing posted:

It would be a big lol if the next episode of the Mandalorian pulls bigger than JJ Abram's Return to the Mayhem.

The Mandalorian may be the most pure and unadulterated Star Wars enjoyment I've had since '83, so I absolutely expect it to be better than ROS.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

cursed_starwars

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Thousands and thousands of words are written about whatever that thing is on wookieepedia.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Man what if Disney goes for broke and makes another Christmas special.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Lumpy: a star wars story.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Dean of Swing posted:

Man what if Disney goes for broke and makes another Christmas special.

Only if Disney forces Harrison Ford to come back for it. Even if they have to kidnap his family to do so.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

fishing with the fam posted:

Only if Disney forces Harrison Ford to come back for it. Even if they have to kidnap his family to do so.

Liam Neeson shows up instead. Net gain.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

fishing with the fam posted:

Get Hammil to wreck another Corvette and put him in terrifying mortuary makeup again.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
The leaks for this movie are so insane it's gotta be JJ's secret plan to lure people in to see if it can really be true (which it is, all of it).

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I can't believe Rey and Kylo gently caress and they HAVE A FORCE BABY and that baby is EMPEROR PALPATINE

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Power_of_the_glory posted:

I'm committed to seeing this. I've watched all the prequels and sequel trilogy in theater so far so I might as well finish it. Hell, I saw all the Resident Evil movies in theater so I feel that I've trained enough to survive ROS.

Something something abusive relationships.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Zoran posted:

If even a portion of the kind of people who get to go to these sneak peek events come out saying it's bad, the movie is going to be terrible.

Normally I'd agree with you but I would bet that a large chunk of those saying it was bad are TLJ fans going by the reasons they've disliked it. Also tons of Star Wars reviewers praised TLJ and look how terrible that was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

More like Stockholm Syndrome.

Skywalker Syndrome?