Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

knox_harrington posted:

Is it normal in the US for people to gently caress off for vacation a week before Christmas and just leave their work undone? Someone on my project team has done this and her boss has as well. The outsourced work they manage is ongoing and the vendor is WTFing.

I'd expect to get fired but the boss has just emailed saying "there is no cover"

You're expecting work to get done in the month of December? That's hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

Is it normal in the US for people to gently caress off for vacation a week before Christmas and just leave their work undone? Someone on my project team has done this and her boss has as well. The outsourced work they manage is ongoing and the vendor is WTFing.

I'd expect to get fired but the boss has just emailed saying "there is no cover"
You don't?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
My company doesn't let anyone roll over their unused vacation to the next year, so no work gets done from Thanksgiving to New Year's because everyone is burning up unused days.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
lol @ a dude who works in europe complaining about Americans taking vacation

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

knox_harrington posted:

I always have additional work waiting for me. If I didn't take off just because things weren't finished I'd never take vacation.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

knox_harrington posted:

lol who actually does work in December?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

:emptyquote:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Not an emptyquote

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm glad somebody said it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
We'll work in December when you work in August. :colbert:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Lol @ Americans pretending they don't get vacation

I obviously don't mind people taking vacation but if you have ongoing responsibilities surely that needs to be covered? Like the whole IT staff couldn't disappear while the office is open.

As usual the clinical team have to unfuck everyone else's work.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

USUALLY I don't work December because by that point it's too late to do anything before the January deadline and we have to let the chips fall where they may.

This year... it's still too late to do anything.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

knox_harrington posted:

I obviously don't mind people taking vacation but if you have ongoing responsibilities surely that needs to be covered? Like the whole IT staff couldn't disappear while the office is open.

At many US offices little-to-nothing gets done the week of Thanksgiving or the latter half of December because there is almost no one at work. It's not that everyone is gone the whole time, it's that 75% of people are gone on any given day which slows things down to a crawl. The bank holidays at those times allow people to get a longer time away from work using 3 of their 10 vacation days or whatever.

Which, when added up, is still less time away than for most of the western European office workers I've met, who vanish for the entire month of August. I'm sorry you're inconvenienced by US workers using their limited vacation time.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

knox_harrington posted:

Take your generous Euro benefits and and shove it up your rear end with this high and mighty attitude of yours

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Sarern posted:

It's not that everyone is gone the whole time, it's that 75% of people are gone on any given day which slows things down to a crawl.

Exactly! People are there! It's not that all the work needs to get done but there has to be someone contactable. Like my (US based) team is contactable in case there are emergencies.

quote:

most of the western European office workers I've met, who vanish for the entire month of August.

Bullshit. Italy maybe.

Iron Crowned posted:

Take your generous Euro benefits and and shove it up your rear end with this high and mighty attitude of yours

My benefits are great but my work is all in the USA

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

knox_harrington posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_minimum_annual_leave_by_country

Typical vacation policy for US professional job is 2 weeks (10 days) at start of career. This typically increases by something like 1 day per year of work. So you'll have to work for something like 5-10 years before you catch up to most of western Europe's government mandated minimum vacation days. I admit I don't know if companies in Europe generally provide additional days or increase as career progresses but it'll be over a decade before an American engineer catches up with a UK or French colleague who just started yesterday.

So yeah, Americans get vacation. But for a European to complain about Americans being on vacation? No. gently caress right off with that poo poo.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The last European client I worked on had teams in Finland, France, Belgium, and the UK. Absolutely nothing got done in August.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

knox_harrington posted:

Exactly! People are there! It's not that all the work needs to get done but there has to be someone contactable. Like my (US based) team is contactable in case there are emergencies.

Bullshit. Italy maybe.

My benefits are great but my work is all in the USA

I hope the two overworked junior people actually present today are deliberately ignoring your increasingly frustrated emails. Or forwarding them to their manager to read when s/he gets back from Aspen in three weeks.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
We have no legally required paid vacation days or sick days in the US. There are 28 million American workers who get no paid time off at all, including sick pay. We have 10 public holidays that you may or may not get off if you work in an office but probably not all of them in any case. Anecdotally most office workers seem to get 5-10 days early career and it may increase once you are later career or in management. I got a 3rd week when I hit 5 years with my company, an have the option to pay dollar for dollar for a 4th week through my benefits package. I'll get a 4th week of entitlement when I hit 10 or 15 years. This is at a bank where the benefits are usually better than at other employers.

Europeans get a legal minimum of 20 paid days of vacation plus public holidays that are widely observed. I'm sure some of you get more than that. Don't cry to us about it being hard to get things from America during the one time of year that some of us get to take a break.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I keep getting emails from sent to me from a colleague in Department X asking my boss' boss to mash an approval link. Latest one was something saying "FYI, Item A is on track, Item B is still awaiting Big Boss approval" and my manager asks what the heck is going on, saying it looks like we're getting bus-thrown.

Literally spent ten minutes just now explaining the same details to him and her simultaneously, such to the point that they're now both trying to reach out to each other to clarify.

Dept. X colleague is also a serial IM offender

2:14 PM:
hello mjp
2:14 pm:
how are you?
2:15 PM:
actually relevant info

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Sarern posted:

I hope the two overworked junior people actually present today are deliberately ignoring your increasingly frustrated emails. Or forwarding them to their manager to read when s/he gets back from Aspen in three weeks.

Sadly the emails being ignored are from US cancer hospitals trying to arrange treatment for US cancer patients in the new year. But because the staff haven't bothered to arrange any cover for the essential parts of their jobs, this will have to wait and patients will miss out. Great job.

This is not about people taking vacation. Its about making sure your role is covered.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Imagine being mad that people are out and preventing you from doing your job, instead of being happy that you have the perfect excuse to not have to do your job.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Currently in a conference call and someone’s GPS keeps giving directions in the background

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

Sadly the emails being ignored are from US cancer hospitals trying to arrange treatment for US cancer patients in the new year. But because the staff haven't bothered to arrange any cover for the essential parts of their jobs, this will have to wait and patients will miss out. Great job.

This is not about people taking vacation. Its about making sure your role is covered.

There might be a part you're missing here... there isn't cover. The big thing out here is misusing the concept of "lean" to instead cut everything down to the absolute bare minimum number of people that can perform a function without regard for sustainability, or sometimes put multiple functions under one person. There is no state in the USA that requires a company let you use your vacation time (though individual contracts / unions may vary on that). At most, they require the company pay you for the time you couldn't use. Most don't even do that.

Instead, the company will give you ~10 days of vacation, overbook your work drastically with no available cover, and then deny you leave because "there's just too much work to let you go now, not at this time of year." That becomes all year, and employees maybe get a pittance for their vacation time they never got to take. Or, if your employer does let you take leave, there isn't anyone to cover for you because nobody else exists to cover for you.

That last part is my current position. If I go on vacation, projects crash until I come back; there is no backup for my role at all. (I'm in an odd role in that it's technically illegal for someone to pick up some of my projects unless they've been trained on all my associated training curricula in advance, but that's not going to apply to almost anyone else so isn't relevant.) My company lets me take vacation, but yep, poo poo will crash while I'm gone and it's not my problem.

I used to have a backup, but her role was never refilled when she quit. The rest of our group had to absorb her responsibilities.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 17, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I currently have 8 projects on my plate that were slap dashed together to get them to the customer for approval (they're still sending back comments), and it's all going to be ground to a halt come Friday until I get back from my Christmas break because they're held together with bubble gum and wishes, and I'm the only one who knows how to navigate them. Sorry, not sorry.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah for "cover" to be a thing, you'd have to have more than the bare minimum number of employees. If there's no wiggle room in the staff, then there's a chance everyone will decide they're too busy to take vacation, which is a win-win for Profits!

If you're an employee in that situation, the only way to survive is to take the vacation anyway, and when the people you work with suffer from it, hope that suffering can be directed upward at the people who understaffed you in the first place.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Ditocoaf posted:

when the people you work with suffer from it, hope that suffering can be directed upward at the people who understaffed you in the first place.

It's probably just gonna be a trade of suffering instead. We're all just taking turns in the barrel.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
For real if it's not your fault, who gives a poo poo whether x project gets or doesn't get done? You're still getting paid and it's documented that it's not on you, yeah?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

knox_harrington posted:

This is almost certainly not on the staff person, but on the organization for not maintaining adequate staffing. This is business as usual for American corporations. Executive bonuses all around!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

KingSlime posted:

For real if it's not your fault, who gives a poo poo whether x project gets or doesn't get done? You're still getting paid and it's documented that it's not on you, yeah?

Partially because I genuinely want patients to get the best treatment we can provide, and partially because even though it isn't my fault it is always my problem (since I'm responsible for the science).

Also I was just annoyed with a couple of specific assholes but made it look like I didn't like Americans, which is not the case and I regret it now. Apols <3

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
also those people are probably not assholes

i mean they may be, but this isn't why

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

My takeaway from this discussion is vote Bernie. You US folks deserve better.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Refried Noodle posted:

Even if he gets elected, he'll get the heart attack gun before he takes office. We're getting exactly what we deserve at this point.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Refried Noodle posted:

Yeah but did you know the DJIA is up 10,000 points since Trunp took office? I saw on Fox news that makes the economy good. Tucker told me the economy is good.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

never believe tucker

any of them

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
From the Cursed Images thread. I feel this is appropriate here.
Inasmuch as it's appropriate anywhere.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

I have all kinds of important projects and im loving off after tomorrow for the rest of the year.

I would probably also do so if i had some kind of cancer fixing related job. Honestly the gall of those people to even ask patients for money for goods and services, why arent they taking meth 24/7 to avoid sleeping and working for free?

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

also those people are probably not assholes

i mean they may be, but this isn't why

I mean im an rear end in a top hat too, but not for taking off a bunch of time near xmas.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

knox_harrington posted:

it's management's fault for having inadaquate staffing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

edit: gently caress this thread

The Sean fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 24, 2020