Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Coolguye posted:

this reminds me of that one creative assembly dad meme where they announce something and he immediately flips out and literally runs to the total war forums

i unfortunately cannot find it on google

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
:hai:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I DON'T WANT TO PLAY AS loving PONTUS should be the title for the Imperator thread.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Seems interesting, but I wonder whether there'll be too many popups from nobodies coming and going. Hopefully they'll still have create-person options for when you need to fill some slots and you've got nobody in your court and either nobody likes you enough to answer your invites or you can't find people that match your culture.

I wonder if landless courtiers will bump around forever or if they can retire to the countryside. Or if you can breed courtiers if you want to have their claims/bloodlines/traits in the future, or even if they'll just voluntarily procreate and tow their families from court to court.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Seems interesting, but I wonder whether there'll be too many popups from nobodies coming and going. Hopefully they'll still have create-person options for when you need to fill some slots and you've got nobody in your court and either nobody likes you enough to answer your invites or you can't find people that match your culture.

I wonder if landless courtiers will bump around forever or if they can retire to the countryside. Or if you can breed courtiers if you want to have their claims/bloodlines/traits in the future, or even if they'll just voluntarily procreate and tow their families from court to court.

Maybe they'll make the whole "councilor's staff" a formal minor court title, so you can specify which high-stat courtier you want to help out the turd vassal you're stuck with at the official position

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
It does seem like they took notification spam into account somewhat, they did say that your court would be smaller than in CK2.

On the whole, as well, I'm getting the feeling that this isn't meant to be burned through at speed 5. Like, it feels like pdox is trying really hard to give you stuff to do all the time, so there's less need to just bum around waiting for something to fire.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

So to be clear once you have the emperorship, it’s game over if your primo heir doesn’t get elected (and neither does a dynast), even if the primo heir will still hold land feudally?

Is this true for the HRE as well?

Curious here too

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

GHOST_BUTT posted:

On the whole, as well, I'm getting the feeling that this isn't meant to be burned through at speed 5. Like, it feels like pdox is trying really hard to give you stuff to do all the time, so there's less need to just bum around waiting for something to fire.

that’s cute.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

So to be clear once you have the emperorship, it’s game over if your primo heir doesn’t get elected (and neither does a dynast), even if the primo heir will still hold land feudally?

Is this true for the HRE as well?

No, that's not how it works. You will "just" lose the emperor title. You will inherit your normal feudal lands as usual.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Let me dream

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah. Plus your excess sons loving off to be knights in other courts or seek help to press a claim rules. Maybe they’ll get married and have children and four generations later some guy comes through your court and his line continued landless for a hundred years before coming home.

Yeah this would be a great addition. One of the things that bugs me in CK2 is how you can end up with like 8 kids, but ultimately only 1 or 2 of them really matters, to the point where I usually don't even bother arranging marriages for the others (since that's just going to lead to more people who ultimately don't matter), which leads to an incredibly boring dynasty tree that's basically just a straight line of successions and a whole bunch of branches that don't go anywhere. Having the ability to just go "go, live your own life" and have them actually continue the dynasty as a landless character would be way more interesting, and also lead to a much more interconnected game as they marry into other lines with other landless minor nobility.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah this would be a great addition. One of the things that bugs me in CK2 is how you can end up with like 8 kids, but ultimately only 1 or 2 of them really matters, to the point where I usually don't even bother arranging marriages for the others (since that's just going to lead to more people who ultimately don't matter), which leads to an incredibly boring dynasty tree that's basically just a straight line of successions and a whole bunch of branches that don't go anywhere. Having the ability to just go "go, live your own life" and have them actually continue the dynasty as a landless character would be way more interesting, and also lead to a much more interconnected game as they marry into other lines with other landless minor nobility.

Yeah this plus traits being supposedly less common but more meaningful is really good imo.

Also maybe it's :thejoke: but that paradox screed was originally posted (and mocked on SA) in 2012 when Sunset Invasion first got announced. If it's showing up on their forums today it's definitely a copy paste from someone who is not crazy. Or maybe they are crazy and agree wholeheartedly with the op, could be that.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 18, 2019

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

pretty sure your kids can already gently caress off if they dislike you enough and seek to press their claims? other relatives can, at least. my biking kids are always leaving home to work in micklegard or join the holy order

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

a fatguy baldspot posted:

pretty sure your kids can already gently caress off if they dislike you enough and seek to press their claims? other relatives can, at least. my biking kids are always leaving home to work in micklegard or join the holy order

Yeah courtiers can become adventurers to press their claims if they have them, but it’s kind of a one-shot deal. They’ll either succeed at the invasion and gain a title, or fail and probably die in the dungeon of their target. It’s also relatively uncommon.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a lot of things that bug me about CK3 doubling down on the bloodline portion of the game, but the big positive of that is how they're promising to make more important family dynamics with branch houses, dynasty heads, and all that dynasty upgrade tree nonsense. Like I think you're not just going to jettison spare sons and forget about them until they come wanting your title, they're going to have a little slot on that dynasty screen ticking up the dynasty prestige or something like that.

I can think of some famous wandering courtiers in the real world who hopped around from court to court like Paracelsus or Francisco de Miranda, but I don't really know of any from the CK2 period. There was that one Byzantine failson who hijacked the 4th Crusade, but other than that I've only seen claimants searching for someone to push their claim in Mount & Blade. Could be really neat if there's a way to see where wanderers have been once they flop onto your doorstep. Maybe do a friend of a friend thing or something.

So much of the EU period could work on CK2 mechanics except for the fact that the rise of democracy was fundamentally intended to destroy most things that are CK2 mechanics, or at least dilute them with more people than it is computationally convenient to simulate.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

having the game change to a family wealth simulator where you're trying to keep your house rich and powerful in a slowly-less-nominal democracy might be interesting, but it'd be pretty far out from ckii's scope.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Vicky III except it's called either Bolivar or Marx, and you play as the head of a political movement that may or may not care about family ties, and may be a smaller part of a larger umbrella organization, 1763-1922

Like you could be Croatian Nationalists and in vassalage to Habsburg Reactionaries in 1848 in hopes that they'll entitle you to Croatian Sovereignty that is currently owned by Hungarian Republicans

e: alternatively extend CK3 to the present and let me play as that Habsburg F1 driver

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 18, 2019

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I spent a fair bit of time trying to get the bloodline that lets kids prove themselves as mercs precisely to give them something to do besides be one of the leftover brood of fleshy leftovers from my attempts to make a good heir only to find out that just because they can doesn’t mean you can make them do so.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Coolguye posted:

I spent a fair bit of time trying to get the bloodline that lets kids prove themselves as mercs precisely to give them something to do besides be one of the leftover brood of fleshy leftovers from my attempts to make a good heir only to find out that just because they can doesn’t mean you can make them do so.

making a merc band costs you like 10% of your income and levies so i’m not sure it’s worth it, even if it is fun to see your kid collect scars like pokémon cards

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Hundreds of years into my Venice game I had the option to turn the Duchy of Venice into a Crusader state. Not knowing what this means I didn't do it. What is it, and why did it trigger when nothing had changed for me title-wise in that region for a long time?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the form crusader state decision only happens when you've occupied some territory in the crusades outside of the direct crusade target, and if you do that, your crusade beneficiary becomes an independent lord of that area.

If the option showed up when you weren't crusading, I have no idea what's going on.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think the form crusader state decision only happens when you've occupied some territory in the crusades outside of the direct crusade target, and if you do that, your crusade beneficiary becomes an independent lord of that area.

If the option showed up when you weren't crusading, I have no idea what's going on.

You can also choose to take it for yourself, independent of your overall crusade stance. This still makes the pope mad but not super mad and it won’t cost you the post-crusade loot.

I feel like if it popped up for your own state it was either a bug (crusader states are a bit buggy), or there was some weird inheritance shenanigans where a barony under you fell into another realm, which later became a crusade target.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Ah okay thanks.

I have just had years and years of expansion in the Middle East put under serious threat by seemingly all the Shia and Sunni states declaring two separate wars on me right when a crusade in Lithuania began, cutting me off from offers to join wars and holy order troops. It absolutely tanked my 20K+ gold just to afford to put up a close fight.

I'm glad this happened because I was really resting on my laurels for a long time and thought it would never change.

Also I can't believe how much money Venice can make. I've never played a game with anything close to this income.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Merchant Republics are all about buying your way to victory. You don’t get as many levies as feudal realms but who needs them when you can just hire mercenaries on retainer and still be in the black?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
And even if you don't get a lot of levies you get retinues and military bonuses from family estate. It doesn't scale well into endgame but you wouldn't care about endgame, the point is that even a simple Doge will soon get retinue worthy of a king.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I had a nice retinue that just seemed to vanish when I lost a battle trying to lift a siege in Venice. Is the idea that they all get slaughtered because there's no escape by land? I thought they could flee via the galleys but I could be wrong or thinking of EU4.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

snoremac posted:

I had a nice retinue that just seemed to vanish when I lost a battle trying to lift a siege in Venice. Is the idea that they all get slaughtered because there's no escape by land? I thought they could flee via the galleys but I could be wrong or thinking of EU4.

If an army is routed in an one province island, it simply vanishes.

Certainly one of the things they should look over for CK3.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

If you have boats in the bay then they’ll board to safety.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

a fatguy baldspot posted:

making a merc band costs you like 10% of your income and levies so i’m not sure it’s worth it, even if it is fun to see your kid collect scars like pokémon cards

it gets you income, not costs it. you pay an initial outlay of like 50g and then afterward you get a percent of their income. they do occupy like 5% of your levies though so that's a thing.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Do they actually use that levy or does the size not dependent on your levy, just the money you give?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ilitarist posted:

Do they actually use that levy or does the size not dependent on your levy, just the money you give?

You can give them additional troops for a gold cost, and that's how they upgrade their troops. The mercband leader can also spend his gold to upgrade his troops.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the levy you give them enables their basic replenishment, though i'm not clear on if it scales to be 'realistic' to how many soldiers you would be giving them percentage wise.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I had become so absurdly rich and powerful that I became complacent and had the AI manage my titles after a conquest. It bishop'd both my sons, I died, the end. Gutted.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

What? The AI is so bad at marriage that you can easily paint the map with your dynsasty without waging wars.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's a lot of things that bug me about CK3 doubling down on the bloodline portion of the game, but the big positive of that is how they're promising to make more important family dynamics with branch houses, dynasty heads, and all that dynasty upgrade tree nonsense. Like I think you're not just going to jettison spare sons and forget about them until they come wanting your title, they're going to have a little slot on that dynasty screen ticking up the dynasty prestige or something like that.

I can think of some famous wandering courtiers in the real world who hopped around from court to court like Paracelsus or Francisco de Miranda, but I don't really know of any from the CK2 period. There was that one Byzantine failson who hijacked the 4th Crusade, but other than that I've only seen claimants searching for someone to push their claim in Mount & Blade. Could be really neat if there's a way to see where wanderers have been once they flop onto your doorstep. Maybe do a friend of a friend thing or something.

So much of the EU period could work on CK2 mechanics except for the fact that the rise of democracy was fundamentally intended to destroy most things that are CK2 mechanics, or at least dilute them with more people than it is computationally convenient to simulate.

You could easily extend the game to 1648 with CK2 mechanics, if it weren't for the need to simulate the New World somehow.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

snoremac posted:

I had become so absurdly rich and powerful that I became complacent and had the AI manage my titles after a conquest. It bishop'd both my sons, I died, the end. Gutted.

I sincerely dont know why they keep that on the game, maybe as a prank for newbies?

It has like a 99% chance of loving you really badly, its almost a game over button

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Byzantine succession is so weird. My uncle was my chosen successor and was due to inherit all my titles. Then randomly my firstborn son became the heir to all non-imperial titles, but nothing had changed so not sure why it happened. Then I nominated my second son for the empire and he became heir to all my titles. :psyduck:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

I sincerely dont know why they keep that on the game, maybe as a prank for newbies?

It has like a 99% chance of loving you really badly, its almost a game over button
Yeah I really just assumed it was the equivalent of the "Create New Vassal" option, or at least that it wouldn't disinherit my sons! I thought at worst it would give a vassal more power than I'd like.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

This option is there for the multiplayer.

At some point devs talked about how they didn't really think about multiplayer when developed CK2 so it has a lot of moments when you absolutely have to pause the game for 10 minutes. Like when you conquer a lot of land from the infidel and suddenly you own a lot of titles. They've added a delay for negative opinion for too many titles kicking in and also added this decision for sorting out claims. Also I think at that point vassals they added vassals asking for titles if you are over the limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

UrbicaMortis posted:

Byzantine succession is so weird. My uncle was my chosen successor and was due to inherit all my titles. Then randomly my firstborn son became the heir to all non-imperial titles, but nothing had changed so not sure why it happened. Then I nominated my second son for the empire and he became heir to all my titles. :psyduck:

It broke my brain as well. I was content in Sicily trying to become a saint then suddenly became emperor. All my land was up for grabs according to the game, I landed my son and made him King of Sicily. Then went to war to get the title back after the game said I still had no heir. Wound up losing to my son and became my son.

Worst part was that character died and I didn’t get him beatified. I guess because he was not me?

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 21, 2019