Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Kangxi posted:

The first thread is in the SA archives. The last gameplay post in that thread was in 2015.

holy poo poo i feel old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Kangxi posted:

The first thread is in the SA archives. The last gameplay post in that thread was in 2015.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3603375#post424599296

I had completely forgotten about the old Greek potatoface portraits, yikes.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Weird how defeating international fascism got way more topical since then huh

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Vichan posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3603375#post424599296

I had completely forgotten about the old Greek potatoface portraits, yikes.

I've never read this before, and fuckin' :lol: at Thanqol's Stan Kelly cartoon:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3603375&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=9#post425968486

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
For all two of you who still sometimes play DH, new KRDH update. You'll probably need the Ecuador event file fix that's 2 posts down.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

What kind of Vicky games are you guys playing?

I like the pdm version of divergences, with some small tweaks of my own.
Changing poor pops wants from iron to steel does wonders for the steel industry, adding mil increases for big colonial states makes China less enticing, reducing factory buildtime helps the ai out when it loses them because a pigeon flew by, stuff like that.

If you have any things like that to make the game harder, please do share.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

uguu posted:

What kind of Vicky games are you guys playing?

I like the pdm version of divergences, with some small tweaks of my own.
Changing poor pops wants from iron to steel does wonders for the steel industry, adding mil increases for big colonial states makes China less enticing, reducing factory buildtime helps the ai out when it loses them because a pigeon flew by, stuff like that.

If you have any things like that to make the game harder, please do share.

Those all sound pretty interesting, maybe I should give pdm another go! I stopped playing with it around the time HoD came out.

I usually play with the Blood and Iron mod. It's pretty good--sort of a PDM or HPM lite--but the tweaks to the Oriental Crisis and the crisis system in general gently caress with the Balkans quite a bit. Since I'm a huge grognard about Balkan history, it annoys me sometimes, especially since states freed via crisis get all their cores. Which means giant splotches across southeastern Europe. Bleh. :smithfrog:

It also throws in some new rebel types and changes the military units a bit--for example, guards change from offensive to defensive units and theres a late game offensive infantry unit called Stormtroopers. If you're interested, they have a page on ModDB with more details.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Been playing off a pretty well working HPM port of Divergences myself, runs smoother than the PDM bloat and has a decent chunk of extra events/flavor/etc... to keep even the most off the wall runs interesting

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

I should like to try a HPM-based mod, but I can't peel myself away from the added factories and especially the tech system off PDM.
Also what does the genocide decision do, are there any benefits to it?

Heres' my changelog upto now:
    factory buildtiem down
    popneeds changed to steel/ bronze
    no we from badboy, we decreases at war a little
    increased demand from invention
    longer nationalism
    less rp for ai unciv before 1890, more after/ less rp for player
    halved newspaper output
    increased mil for large colonies
    add tech reform on unciv state loss
    noncore tax penalty back
    chinese states + (flintlock or command principle) and arti or forts, regulars won't trigger before 1850 for uncivs
    irregulars buffed
    removed oman reforms
    regulars org > inf org
    tax loss for lack of ships
    we effects tweaked
    increased bb limit
I want to port HPM's debt system next and then increase all build- and eventcosts by 10 and get rid of the -40? % tax modifier.
Haven't finished a game yet with these changes, but I I can give the code if you want it.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

This is the branch I was referencing: https://github.com/TheDeNuke/DvD-Custom-Branch

Worth a look, it has some of the PDM features like the tech tree as well. More simplified factory stuff tho

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

uguu posted:

what does the genocide decision do

Well, I guess we have a new thread title now.

(I'm not familiar, but I suspect it probably perpetrates a genocide against whatever undesirables you got. As to "benefits"- wrong culture POPs are much, much less useful that accepted culture POPs, but it's still much more useful than "dead", so there aren't a whole lot of good reasons to do it. You need a colonial state to be majority primary or accepted culture to turn it into a state (unless it's on the same continent as your capital, I think- I'm rusty), and provinces which are majority primary culture have a chance of being cored, but there's not much point to doing those things if you're killing most of the population there to do it. Like, the UK would love to enstate India- but because being able to put those hundreds of millions behind factories and armies (soldier POPs in colonies can only support 1/10 of the usual number of brigades IIRC) would make them unstoppable. The only real upside is less revolts, and those are hardly worth worrying about most of the time. I don't think it would even save you from being a crisis target, if that was a concern.

Unless HDM has other stuff that ties into it it's mostly just for Nazi roleplayers.)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

HPM originated from 4chan's grand strategy general thread. That's your answer for "why does the genocide decision exist if it seems to be actively detrimental on top of being, you know, genocide".

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

This is the branch I was referencing: https://github.com/TheDeNuke/DvD-Custom-Branch

Worth a look, it has some of the PDM features like the tech tree as well. More simplified factory stuff tho

Looks like it only drops the different different weapons and machine parts change, which is a great change.
I will try it out, thanks.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/1211995507725348865?s=21

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Johan is going to kill himself over imperator

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I feel bad for Johan and a lot of the flak he's gotten this year has been really unwarranted, but there is just a level of delusion in that tweet about Imperator's status at launch that is... impressive.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Drone posted:

I feel bad for Johan and a lot of the flak he's gotten this year has been really unwarranted, but there is just a level of delusion in that tweet about Imperator's status at launch that is... impressive.

johan thinks about these games in terms of mechanics. imperator's failings were largely of tone - it just didn't feel like a game where you were playing as an ancient polity. that's what the vague feeling of "this isn't quite right" was that a lot of people had at launch. eu and especially ck feel meticulously researched even when they're obviously not simulating history down to the finest detail and abstracting a lot away, imperator retained that feeling that eu:rome had where it just didn't seem like paradox was employing anyone who gave a poo poo about anything before charlemagne

the mechanics were mostly only bad in the sense that they often didn't support the theme of the game.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
His argument that CK3 needs to be more complex and not a copy of CK2... is that Imperator was very complex and was received badly?

Arguing that Imperator had more complexity/content on release really just showcases the disconnect between his vision and what other people saw in the game. Complexity and content amount mean little compared to how fun a game is or how well it's presented.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

"complexity" and "features" aren't some RPG stat you can assign to your video game. People like games because they are good, and fun to play. It doesn't matter how much poo poo you pile onto your game, if the core design isn't great or the tone isn't compelling or the setting isn't interesting none of that poo poo matters.

This isn't some "video game tycoon" game where you play the game developer and assign stats to projects to find the best combination for sales. "hmm my last product had a complexity rating of 3 and a budget of 10 and sold 500k units, but this project had a complexity rating of 5 and a budget of 15 yet only sold 300k units, this makes no sense and is not fair!!!"

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
"Too simple" and "Not enough content" was exactly what people complained about.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

ilitarist posted:

"Too simple" and "Not enough content" was exactly what people complained about.

Because all the crap added to Imperator wasn't actually engaging. You could click on plenty of things, and in that sense Johan is correct in that it has a lot of content.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Imperator’s dev blogs were a very accurate indication of what type of game it would be at launch. A bunch of percentage modifiers strung together unevenly.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Playing imperator made me just want to play eu4. It’s a lot better now for sure but like I still feel like the different eu4 countries feel real different. Like I’ll play Netherlands and then be like man really feel like a Muscovy game next

While imperator I guess everyone feels kinda the same?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

imperator was perfectly positioned to be a game that everyone would hate

for example: it had all the various positions in the roman government as their own characters. for the people who didn't care about this, this was a lot of poo poo to manage, and they hated it and wished it wasn't there. for the people who did care and were really into that idea, there were loads of inaccuracies and cut corners like only having one consul, so they also hated it, everyone hated it.

this was true for every aspect of the game: if you don't care about a concept you will find yourself having to waste time on it because it exists as a system and will hate it, if you do care then you will find that it's modeled in a half-baked way that's either filled with glaring omissions or boils down to a series of incredibly dull stat modifiers and will hate it. They did everything, but to do everything they had to do it all poorly.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I would be really interested to know where Johan saw complexity in Imperator, and by what metric he measured it, because uhh

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I can't see how Imperator wouldn't be considered the most complex Paradox game apart from maybe CK2 with all the expansions.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It may have theoretical complexity, which I’d argue against, but it doesn’t have true variety and depth, and most importantly it’s less complicated as a simulation than CK2, less complicated politically than EU4 and certainly less mechanically deep - even if it may have some breadth on that front - and god drat Vicky 2?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
it has pops and those pops have various stats to them and there's a bunch of units and mana

so technically

it has a lot going on except none of that matters whatsoever

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I think CK2 is actually the most complicated Paradox game because of how distinct every government type plays

feller
Jul 5, 2006

To be fair to Johan, he was talking about the release version of CK2 which was very much not complex. It was, however, a good game.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CK2 presumably has by far the most moving parts of any PDX game, but the player isn't actually asked to interact with more than a few of them at the same time.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yikes! posted:

To be fair to Johan, he was talking about the release version of CK2 which was very much not complex. It was, however, a good game.

Base CK3 having so much playable gives me a lot of hope for the DLCs being good.

Like base CK2 had to focus so much DLC on making this and that playable that the feudal christians and iqta muslims from the first release and first DLC are not just weak but straight up boring compared to what you can do as anyone else.

There's so much flavour and unique poo poo to be had for the basic bitches of CK2. 1200s russians not being identical to 800s franks. A taifa in 1066 having more in common with 1066 Léon than with 1066 Seljuks. Making byzantines playable again. Hordes not being dumb. Paganism not being just way more powerful and fun than anything else. Non-vikings building river boats.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

as long as DLC isn't "here's more mana to keep track of" i'm all for it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jeoh posted:

as long as DLC isn't "here's more mana to keep track of" i'm all for it

Stellaris is somewhat ominous here.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Base CK3 having so much playable gives me a lot of hope for the DLCs being good.

Like base CK2 had to focus so much DLC on making this and that playable that the feudal christians and iqta muslims from the first release and first DLC are not just weak but straight up boring compared to what you can do as anyone else.

There's so much flavour and unique poo poo to be had for the basic bitches of CK2. 1200s russians not being identical to 800s franks. A taifa in 1066 having more in common with 1066 Léon than with 1066 Seljuks. Making byzantines playable again. Hordes not being dumb. Paganism not being just way more powerful and fun than anything else. Non-vikings building river boats.

the risk, here, is repeating EU4, where every religion turned into escalating rats-nests of mechanics that have nothing to do with the religion's role in history or the actual practices of its adherents

as bad as decadence was (and still is), the hajj and ramadan are still some of the best design in CK2, to my mind. they're still my favorite part of playing a muslim.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It may have theoretical complexity, which I’d argue against, but it doesn’t have true variety and depth, and most importantly it’s less complicated as a simulation than CK2, less complicated politically than EU4 and certainly less mechanically deep - even if it may have some breadth on that front - and god drat Vicky 2?

We were talking about complexity that you can at least attempt to measure while variety and depth are much more ephemeral things.

And yes, its individual parts are less complex than any of the games you've mentioned but every other system would be more complex. E.g. economy is not as complex as in Victoria but it has much more of those little POPs cause every one of 10000 provinces has them; combat is more complex; government and characters are more complex, same for province development and diplomacy and so on. At least it was before all those updates.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ilitarist posted:

We were talking about complexity that you can at least attempt to measure while variety and depth are much more ephemeral things.

And yes, its individual parts are less complex than any of the games you've mentioned but every other system would be more complex. E.g. economy is not as complex as in Victoria but it has much more of those little POPs cause every one of 10000 provinces has them; combat is more complex; government and characters are more complex, same for province development and diplomacy and so on. At least it was before all those updates.
How much do these individual systems tie into each other? Like, how much does the complexity of for example combat effect your choices in other systems? Individually complex systems that only interact on a very simple level with other systems run the real danger of seeming less complex and more like annoying busywork for no real payoff. Especially if that system isn't one that interests you particularly, while the ones it could hook into far more do.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

ilitarist posted:

You can measure some things that factor INTO complexity, but there's no objective definition of "complex." A bunch of moving parts that all give a bunch of +1 bonus is to me less complex than fewer moving parts that actually interact with each other in ways more than just adding up the bonus.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Yeah, Imperator systems were more interconnected too. Like war killing and displacing POPs on a large scale thus affecting economy, diplomacy affecting who you trade with and thus allowing for a variety of bonuses. Province geography combines with trade goods making every province very unique. Combination of available resources like steppe horses or elephant with your cultural traiditions means that culture, ideas, trade and military systems are tied to each other in a very complex way. Having 4 MP types meant that you have an interesting periods of selective abandunce and available resources affect your strategy as opposed of current system of you always getting richer.

There is a lot of busywork, especially now with pop, economy and character systems turned into simulations meaning that the difference between a genius choice and doing nothing is barely noticeable. But the Johan's point is its more complex which it is. And also that people said that it wasn't complex enough which they do in this very thread. Johan realized that by complexity people mean a bunch of meaningless numbers grow and cancel each other out. So now you have dozens of types of buildings that give you 10% to one of three types of your income, and if you're used to having a joy from assigning a genius to some government position and getting a huge boon then too bad. Johann now turns this bonus into a 20 years progress bar cause he remembers how you complained about unrealistic instant conversion.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jan 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I played Imperator after the 1.1 patch and it felt... weird. Like a lot of the systems in that game are optional. The thing I noticed the most was a lack of tooltips or otherwise adequate in-game explanations, I'd have to hunt down things in the interface myself. I didn't realise building roads was a thing you could do until much later, and the road connections in a province then have an effect on pop promotion speed; but the game won't tell you that, rather it will let you discover it yourself. If you never think to look too hard at your options in the army you can easily go through the entire game without realising they're there. Similarly with army tactics, the animal button, which looked to me like an on-off toggle because it had the appearance of a button and was described in similar terms as the generals' abilities in HoI4 in its tooltip; it took until I got curious enough to click it to discover that it's essentially a dropdown choice of passive bonii to troop types.

The game is chokeful of things like that so I wouldn't begrudge anyone for thinking it didn't have mechanical complexity; it's there but you are rarely asked to interact with it. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, though the UI could afford to be a lot more intuitive.