Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: Absolutely disappointed with my first experience with SC.

I’m playing the game for the very second time and within the first 10 minutes of my session:

My ship - _which I logged out yesterday in ArcCorp Hangar,_ was bugged out so I couldn’t leave the room. I was trapped in the bedroom since no door opened for 10 minutes until The doors suddenly worked.

After i finally could enter the pilot seat - I saw that my ship (which I logged out of in ArcCorp hangar) is not in the hangar anymore.

It was upside down laying in the middle of nowhere. _literally_ just laying there on the ground.

After I struggled with the Map being bugged out, unable to zoom in since everything would always completely disappear for no reason I somehow managed to mark my destination.

Making my first QT jump to Hurston, I was being drawn out due to a hostile ship. I was hyped af and ready to jump in and have my first positive experience with the game, until I realized that my front nose weapon is just GONE and I have no idea why.

Additionally to that, a weird sound appeared out of no where where. There’s a constant static sound, which is only heard inside SC so when I Alt-Tab out it’s gone.

So yea. This is my first experience with SC.

To be honest I’m not expecting a fully fletched out game but how the gently caress are such trivial things so badly buggy after 250.000.000$ and let’s say 4 years of real development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

*teleports behind you*

"early days. tier 0. it's an alpha."

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Wow, that's a pretty bad Sephiroth archer

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:reddit: First thing, don't think of it so much as a "release date". The closest you'll get to that sort of game design and intent is the Squadron 42 piece, as it's a more traditional game. The MMO portion should be thought of more as a service; at some point they'll stop the wipes, once persistence is in place, and that will be the MMO portion "release". But the game will constantly evolve, as MMOs must, to remain relevant and survive.

As to persistence, I'm pleased to say they are ahead of where I had predicted they'd be. Some elements of persistence will begin showing up as early as 3.8 (like, before years end) and depending on how well that goes, it is possible that we could see a "no more wipes" scenario emerge within the next few years.

It's important to consider that you can't just take SC and hold it up next to any other game and squint and compare; SC has no peer, not in scope, not in scale, not in technical sophistication. The SC experience is unto itself. Once you accept that, I can categorically state it's freaking awesome being involved in the most exciting break through in PC gaming in our lifetime: proof positive that rabid fans will support the guy crazy and brave enough to flip the bird at the traditional developers who churn out re-skinned "AAA" titles every year to make the safe buck, and instead do what is hard and what hasn't been done before to finally actually push our powerful gaming rigs and deliver unprecedented game play.

Check your expectations for sure. If you want to get in and enjoy 3 month bites of gameplay knowing it'll be reset for a bit longer, the game is stable enough to log on every night for several hours and have a good time. You can explore, you can mine, you can a pirate, you can be a mercenary, you can be a cargo runner, you can just buy and swap out clothing sets and take screenshots if SIMS is more your style. Emergent game play is prevalent, and I have made numerous "gaming moments" in the alpha - more so than in all other "AAA" titles since 2012. That's pretty telling.

Of course, it's not everyone's cup of tea, and that's fine. If you prefer a more defined, standard gaming offering, there's plenty out there. This isn't like that.

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

More content in one crater on Hurston than the whole of Earth though.

I thought of SC when I saw this thread on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/ec0un4/people_dont_really_need_bigger_worlds_in_games/

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

BBC just did a price on SC

https://youtu.be/W_KUzkJoEhU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Isn’t it strange that they don’t appear to have scheduled a Holiday Livestream this year?

They could turn in a low-effort affair and still reap pretty hefty extra portions of cash, at least if their prior tracked numbers are remotely trustworthy. (Big if I know.)

it’s surprising, then, that they aren’t bothering. They don’t have to do nearly as much work as when planning a CitCon or other offsite fan event — they could (and sometimes have) just phone it in to boost the coffers by a truckload.

This will still supposedly be a record-breaking year despite the late CitizenCon and absence of a holiday livestream, despite the Roadmap decay and vanishing Squadron. It doesn’t really seem plausible.

If they say no more before the end of the year, that says a lot. Even if they don’t need the cash for some reason, why end the year so unassuredly? CitCon 2019 was a tepid one and, outside the happy screenshot society, the end of year air is kinda downbeat.

“Chris, your targeting computer is off. What’s wrong?”

“Nothing, I’m going to Hawaii.”

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
The discussion around this game is SO tiresome. It does indeed have a fair amount of cultists. But there are just as many completely uninformed haters just parroting things they've heard

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

DigitalPenny posted:

Since 2012 chris Roberts has raised 350 million dollars by enticing people to pre purchase star citizen a PC space game and it's game assets (that ofent don't exist or the work) for eye wateringly high prices, (up to $27k USD). Most of the money raised has been spent on making flashy marketing, weekly shows, conferences and celebratery actors to entice further spending to the support the game.

Contrary to the aggressive marketing messaging the promises amazing features, cutting edge technology, and superb graphics development has been deeply troubled, with the release of chapter 1 in the star citizen story being pushed back a year almost every year.

Since 2012 Chris Roberts and his 16+ companies, 5 stuidos, 500 employees have managed to miss every development target they have set, produce two law suits and 1000's of YouTube vedios but no games.

Despite the failure to make measureable progress, Chris Roberts, his family and close friends that work on the project are now millionaires.

None of this has bothered fans of the project who have pored another 30+ million into the project in hopes that project development is finally turning a corner.

After such a long development time and large budget expectations and hopes are high for 2020!

Stealing this for future use. Goon valour is cheap anyway.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Moola posted:

The discussion around this game is SO tiresome. It does indeed have a fair amount of cultists. But there are just as many completely uninformed haters just parroting things they've heard

Such as?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:reddit: This "prototype" has given me endless hours of true fun and immerison. I've had more quality time in this "prototype" than I have in many major released AAA titles. I have had years of enjoyment watching the progress and enjoying every release.

And there are many, many like me. So, what's your point.

GTA wishes it could be at the level SC is at right now.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Moola posted:

i heard the game has been in development for 7 years and there's no end in sight
no end in sight! no end in sight!

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Paid promotion, or as many have called it : Another reason to abolish the tv license (funds the BBC) in UK.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Quavers posted:

What's up with those GTA references? Last GTA game came out in 2013, PC version in 2015. Is this about the time when cultists stopped paying attention to any other game?

"Commander Keen wishes it could be at the level SC is at right now."

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 18, 2019

marumaru
May 20, 2013

you dont even need to watch the video

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

G0RF posted:

Isn’t it strange that they don’t appear to have scheduled a Holiday Livestream this year?

They could turn in a low-effort affair and still reap pretty hefty extra portions of cash, at least if their prior tracked numbers are remotely trustworthy. (Big if I know.)

it’s surprising, then, that they aren’t bothering. They don’t have to do nearly as much work as when planning a CitCon or other offsite fan event — they could (and sometimes have) just phone it in to boost the coffers by a truckload.

This will still supposedly be a record-breaking year despite the late CitizenCon and absence of a holiday livestream, despite the Roadmap decay and vanishing Squadron. It doesn’t really seem plausible.

If they say no more before the end of the year, that says a lot. Even if they don’t need the cash for some reason, why end the year so unassuredly? CitCon 2019 was a tepid one and, outside the happy screenshot society, the end of year air is kinda downbeat.

“Chris, your targeting computer is off. What’s wrong?”

“Nothing, I’m going to Hawaii.”

Someone had to plausibly shift a lot of money in November, but not in December :tinfoil:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEwik6g0Lwo

marumaru
May 20, 2013

marumaru
May 20, 2013

the groundbreaking planetary procedural generation v4 can certainly generate some incredible Nintendo 64-tier geometry.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Finally! A way to make clipping through stuff look decent!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

I'm a backer and this thing is really coming together. I was frustrated for a bit but now I see the light at the end of the wormhole.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

my condolences

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Moola posted:

I'm a backer and this thing is really coming together. I was frustrated for a bit but now I see the light at the end of the wormhole.

Is this where I ask, "How much are you in for, Commando?"?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Inacio posted:

my condolences

Yep, same here. Backed in 2013 and only recently started digging in.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Moola posted:

:same:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
A few of these cultists showed up in one of my FB groups and started posting about how "it's actually nearly done now! It's coming along well!" and I'm just shocked at the lack of shame these people have

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
YOUTUBE: Pillar Talk

The Wizards log one last show for the year.

I have to skip forward whenever Tony prattles. He’s worse than Chris

They’re congratulating themselves on improvements made to their “trash this prior work and start over” tech. It used to take them 6 months to do a Daymar. The tech now let’s them re-do it in two.

Shut up about planets. De-idiocize your AI.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 18, 2019

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Quavers posted:

:reddit: This "prototype" has given me endless hours of true fun and immerison. I've had more quality time in this "prototype" than I have in many major released AAA titles. I have had years of enjoyment watching the progress and enjoying every release.

And there are many, many like me. So, what's your point.

Tell me this is a troll posting. I still thought even the dumbest backers have limits and bars of BS areas. This can’t be their real opinion, that’s plain telling lies. Which AAA title had less gameplay loops and content than the SC PTU ? :psyduck:
Maybe Cabal from Ocean 1989 on the Amiga? That was an okay Arcade port and still may provide more content and hours of fun than SC, especially in 2 player competition pro joystick mayhem.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Mr.PayDay posted:

Tell me this is a troll posting. I still thought even the dumbest backers have limits and bars of BS areas. This can’t be their real opinion, that’s plain telling lies. Which AAA title had less gameplay loops and content than the SC PTU ? :psyduck:
Maybe Cabal from Ocean 1989 on the Amiga? That was an okay Arcade port and still may provide more content and hours of fun than SC, especially in 2 player competition pro joystick mayhem.

Man, Cabal in the arcade was awesome, I threw so many quarters into that game. Maybe I should get a big old trackball so I can emulate it properly

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The scale battle has already been decisively won by Elite Dangerous which has an entire process-gen Milky Way Galaxy for you to explore.

It’s also good to remember that most of the industry stoped thumping their chests and one upping each other over over the sheer size of their game worlds a few years ago, after players started to question what there actually was to do in all of that space.

Jim Sterling did a video on it back in 2017.

https://youtu.be/efKxC0RgyV4

But like everything else, Star Citizen is a lovely, broken, and belated answer to problems the industry had 8 years ago.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mr.PayDay posted:

They like to reference things that are laughably out of reach, like GTA 5, a released game in it's sixth year of profits. Or Elite Dangerous, A game a couple of days past it's fifth birthday *as a released product*.

Seven years on, they're still projecting success to cover their sunk cost with a really big Someone Else's Problem field. Make the huge claims, and screw the haters and their fact-based reality. There are enough people out there that simply *believe*.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Moola posted:

Norweigan Blue?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Agony Aunt posted:

Norweigan Blue?

Beautiful plumage, the Norweigian Blue.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Mr.PayDay posted:

all of them

its cool to hate AAA games these days so all the kids are doing it, regardless of if it's true or not

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

https://i.imgur.com/ug9kJt4.mp4

marumaru
May 20, 2013

colonelwest posted:

The scale battle has already been decisively won by Elite Dangerous which has an entire process-gen Milky Way Galaxy for you to explore.

Space legs!
Atmospheric landings!

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

"So where the gently caress's Skyrim?"

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Dooguk posted:

"So where the gently caress's Skyrim?"

"Ok guys we got the screenshot of us at the top of this mountain. What do we do now?"

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

All I see now in these screenshots is the shite IK they've done on the legs. They're always cock-legged now and it just looks really weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

I don't think Star Citizen is very good personally. I think infact, it is the opposite of good.

Star Citizen is bad.