Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Amppelix posted:

How on earth are they going to manage that without it being either completely overwhelming for the player or leaving a lot of the characters out of focus (or both!!)

And I'm just thinking about gameplay here, not writing troubles. They can't possibly come up with 50 unique niches for characters.

Smaller parties for different plot arcs probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Looking forward to Trails 15: Suikoden 6.

Obligatory whining about a PC port.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

All these Trails games are ok I guess but where's my English release of Ys IX Falcom????

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Endorph posted:

They don't need to be unique if there's 3 different parties. Plus if there's 'episodes' you have to imagine there'll be stuff like Sky 3 where you spent an hour playing as the freaking Ravens.

Hopefully exactly that stuff, because the entire time I played as the Ravens, I had this huge poo poo-eating grin. For a while my desktop was using the healing ability on a frozen party member and very helpfully declaring "This ain't the time to be chillin'!" :haw:

I'll also settle for them being an optional superboss.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I hated the Ravens and the Schera doors more than I hated that fishing minigame. Now that I typed that out, I guess I just think a lot of the 3rd was annoying!

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Oh great, more Rean. That’s exactly what I wanted. The entire problem I have with the series as it is, is the bloat.

Maybe they will actually (CS4 end spoiler) properly do the Crossbell liberation that they skipped over in 4..

Honestly not sure whether I’m going to get it. I kinda feel like I might as well because I’ve come so far but it really feels like every game they make is a bit worse than the last. I can see why Falcom fans can get so weird online.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

uiruki posted:

Oh great, more Rean. That’s exactly what I wanted. The entire problem I have with the series as it is, is the bloat.

Maybe they will actually (CS4 end spoiler) properly do the Crossbell liberation that they skipped over in 4..

Honestly not sure whether I’m going to get it. I kinda feel like I might as well because I’ve come so far but it really feels like every game they make is a bit worse than the last. I can see why Falcom fans can get so weird online.

Be kind of weird to call one of the groups Liberators and not.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
The screenshot selections (perhaps misleadingly) suggest the leads are likely Rean, Lloyd and the mystery hermit?
Clearly it's Estelle, the Sneaker Hermit.

(Though one of the images, extreme CS4 spoiler: looks kinda like the grandmaster?... edit: and has an ouroboros logo on her dress...).

Also, there may be a hint of the next big game after that:
https://twitter.com/Gu4n/status/1207198985448034304

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

Looking forward to Trails 15: Suikoden 6.

Obligatory whining about a PC port.
suikoden no kiseki

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Well, many indications are that the next games will take place in Calvard (There's quite a few more for Arteria, too, but they're neighbors. No reason it can't be both), and they did just form an intelligence agency.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the '1XXX' is interesting, seems to basically be teasing that the next arc will not be directly following the current story, whether that means it's before Sky or 100 years in the future. i'm all for it if it means we get a totally new cast.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Tales of Woe posted:

the '1XXX' is interesting, seems to basically be teasing that the next arc will not be directly following the current story, whether that means it's before Sky or 100 years in the future. i'm all for it if it means we get a totally new cast.

They could also simply be investigating an event from the past. It can't be too far behind because of the Orbal Car. Those are relatively new to mass production, and that looks on par w/Erebonia cars presently.

They might also not want to state how big of a time skip it is.

Hermit character in Beginning is interesting. Body could be male or female. Only character consistently described as a hermit is Yun Ka-fai, but he's supposed to be elsewhere.

Could be Sharon. Her Enforcer number corresponds to the hermit.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 18, 2019

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Huh, if it's a "Trails of Origins" thing, it seems likely one of them will be young Rean and Alisa meeting in the woods. ...Oooh, and maybe we'll also see what actually happened to Alisa's father (that is, if CS 3 doesn't cover that, and I think it might). But yeah, I think the Rean-centric focus of Cold Steel is a misstep.

GrandpaPants posted:

I hated the Ravens and the Schera doors more than I hated that fishing minigame. Now that I typed that out, I guess I just think a lot of the 3rd was annoying!

I liked all those things. It was the very first door you go into be the 30-friggin-minute-long-no-gameplay cutscene which was Moon Door 1 which was an incredible drag. (And it even had a second half too!) Of course, my experience with the fishing game was tempered because I actually printed off a fishing guide for my Sky SC replay, so I knew what bait and rod combinations were viable.

I also found most of the odd-numbered chapter zones to be a drag. They were less interesting than the "altered real world" zones.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Hermit character in Beginning is interesting. Body could be male or female. Only character consistently described as a hermit is Yun Ka-fai, but he's supposed to be elsewhere.

I'm replaying Trails in the Sky, and at the very very start Schera does a tarot card reading, and one card is "The Hermit", which I think is supposed to be a reference to Loewe, (who seems to have tried to cut himself off from all humanity). Sure he's dead, but that didn't stop him from appearing in Sky the Third. (For reference, the other cards were The Sun(? or maybe The Star) (Estelle), the Hanged Man (Joshua, probably), the Magician (duh, Weissman), and the Wheel of Fortune (inverted).)

EDIT: That's not to say that I think this means Loewe is the Hermit, which is highly unlikely.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 18, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
loewe's blue light special shadow the hedgehog nothin-personnel-kid rear end coming back again would be a new low for that series

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Huh, if it's a "Trails of Origins" thing, it seems likely one of them will be young Rean and Alisa meeting in the woods. ...Oooh, and maybe we'll also see what actually happened to Alisa's father (that is, if CS 3 doesn't cover that, and I think it might). But yeah, I think the Rean-centric focus of Cold Steel is a misstep.

I liked all those things. It was the very first door you go into be the 30-friggin-minute-long-no-gameplay cutscene which was Moon Door 1 which was an incredible drag. (And it even had a second half too!) Of course, my experience with the fishing game was tempered because I actually printed off a fishing guide for my Sky SC replay, so I knew what bait and rod combinations were viable.

And most of the odd-numbered chapter zones, which I found less interesting than the "altered real world" zones.

I'm replaying Trails in the Sky, and at the very very start Schera does a tarot card reading, and one card is "The Hermit", which I think is supposed to be a reference to Loewe, (who seems to have tried to cut himself off from all humanity). Sure he's dead, but that didn't stop him from appearing in Sky the Third.

EDIT: That's not to say that I think this means Loewe is the Hermit, which is highly unlikely.
poo poo. I would argue it is very likely. The mask aesthetic is something he has done twice already.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Three protagonists sounds to me like one game containing three separate episodes. That would allow the cast to be split up a bit so it's not the overwhelming thing Sky the Third or CS 2's final final dungeon was.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Tales of Woe posted:

I'm going to guess it takes place around the Orbal Revolution. Partly, because I have a pet guess - based on basically nothing - that Epstein is the Grand Master, and the orbal revolution itself was the first step of a grand plan. Sky spends a lot of time at the beginning talking about the convenience of orbal technology, and it's just always stuck with him that it's probably some kind of poisoned well.

(Spoilering even though it's just random conjecture. I've played CS3, so that might have tilted me in a way I'm not realizing.)

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Captain Lavender posted:

I'm going to guess it takes place around the Orbal Revolution. Partly, because I have a pet guess - based on basically nothing - that Epstein is the Grand Master, and the orbal revolution itself was the first step of a grand plan. Sky spends a lot of time at the beginning talking about the convenience of orbal technology, and it's just always stuck with him that it's probably some kind of poisoned well.

(Spoilering even though it's just random conjecture. I've played CS3, so that might have tilted me in a way I'm not realizing.)

Sky 3rd's drama CD gives Grandmaster a voice though and They are a woman.

It's a predictable answer, but I'm pretty sure the Grandmaster is Adios, Herself. It'd certainly explain how everyone who has ever actually met her is completely and unflinchingly loyal to her forever (this would be the Anguis, not the Enforcers). It'd also explain why the Anguis are first referred to as "apostles".

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Veryslightlymad posted:

It's a predictable answer, but I'm pretty sure the Grandmaster is Adios, Herself. It'd certainly explain how everyone who has ever actually met her is completely and unflinchingly loyal to her forever (this would be the Anguis, not the Enforcers). It'd also explain why the Anguis are first referred to as "apostles".

Yes, that makes much more sense.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Veryslightlymad posted:

Reasonable, but what's your source for Epstein being a man?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

grancheater posted:

Pretty much every piece text in the games where he or his disciples are referenced.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

grancheater posted:

The flight logs

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I always start to feel like I have a grasp of the story in these games from playing them a few times, and then the in-between materials get me. There's that Toval comic between 3rd and Zero, that cut chapter transcript from between CS1 and 2. Just learning about this Drama CD. Anything else out there worth catching up on?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/Gu4n/status/1207651885513166848

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/Gu4n/status/1207312834545229824

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Captain Lavender posted:

I always start to feel like I have a grasp of the story in these games from playing them a few times, and then the in-between materials get me. There's that Toval comic between 3rd and Zero, that cut chapter transcript from between CS1 and 2. Just learning about this Drama CD. Anything else out there worth catching up on?

The Crossbell games, which I need to play myself. Reading a throwaway line from one of those games gave me the final piece I needed to unlock my speculation on Andre the musician. Andre's been bugging me since my first playthrough of CS2. But he's the Fourth Anguis, I'm sure of it.

Short version:
So apparently, Arianrhod mentions that the Thousand Oathbreaker (the nom de guerre we know is associated w/Anguis 4) is one of the Anguis currently overseeing the Erebonian side of the Phantasmal Blaze Plan. You never explicitly see a guy with that title anywhere in CS1 and 2, but Andre is present at the Summer Festival (when you release Valimar) and then he's present at every single major battle of Cold Steel 2. Like, suspiciously present. Except for the final one where the castle is raised.

The kicker is taking that piece of information and combining it w/CS3, where,

Arianrhod claims that the Oathbreaker left w/Mariabell Crois for Arteria. Andre, who is everywhere important in CS1 and 2, does not exist at all in CS3.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Captain Lavender posted:

There's another CS drama CD that takes place during the civil war.

e: Nevermind, it's not a second drama CD, it's the second story in the CS drama CD? Anyways it's got official translation.

grancheater fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 19, 2019

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
CS3 is is not difficult because it's hard, it's difficult because there's so much garbage encounter design where you have to jugglefuck equipment and quartz beforehand or get hosed. If it had been balanced like CS1 this would have been a 5/5 but it reeks of 3/5. Please tell me CS4 was less of a thundering oval office.

Gimme the build I need to (final dungeon) kill McBurn + Lancer because I don't seem to understand how to deal with one nuke every turn bringing my gang down to 200HP because I dare to heal them up afterwards lest they get killed. Or is it just RNG that keeps loving me over? Took five reloads until the fight started letting my guys go first. Do I really have to figure out some constant shielding+seraphic ring chaining solution out? Gamefaqs guide makes it sound super easy to just sledgehammer then lightning speed but I cannot even get started doing that. Time for attempt number twelve of this piece of badly designed poo poo encounter.

e: Thirteenth time the charm. Jesus christ that was a pile of poo poo of an RNG or DIE fight. Normal difficulty, lv53-54. Was unable to get started most of the times, got a foot in a few times, and this final time the stars aligned and I nailed it. This isn't fun. This is what I'd expect from a lowlevel speedrun and I do single-character runs of SO4 for the challenge.

e: The fight that followed was beaten first try with no risk to any character's health. Encounter design and balance is 100% shot.

e: And the fight after that. Cake. Please don't be this bad CS4.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Dec 21, 2019

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Ghosts n Gopniks posted:

CS3 is is not difficult because it's hard, it's difficult because there's so much garbage encounter design where you have to jugglefuck equipment and quartz beforehand or get hosed. If it had been balanced like CS1 this would have been a 5/5 but it reeks of 3/5. Please tell me CS4 was less of a thundering oval office.

Gimme the build I need to (final dungeon) kill McBurn + Lancer because I don't seem to understand how to deal with one nuke every turn bringing my gang down to 200HP because I dare to heal them up afterwards lest they get killed. Or is it just RNG that keeps loving me over? Took five reloads until the fight started letting my guys go first. Do I really have to figure out some constant shielding+seraphic ring chaining solution out? Gamefaqs guide makes it sound super easy to just sledgehammer then lightning speed but I cannot even get started doing that. Time for attempt number twelve of this piece of badly designed poo poo encounter.

Outspeed them if you really want to get an edge. Break stacks, so combine your Breaking Master Quartz (Skuld, Scorpio, other) with Break Quartz on a character. Evasion is king in this game, so getting insight status on your characters goes a long way, and if you have a character with the Sirius MQ and Rage quartz, they can destroy enemies on counter attacks. One of those bosses only attacks with magic, so you can Crescent Mirror to neutralize his attacks fairly well. Other options include using the Moebius MQ with powerful food, using Rean's divine song Order and spamming arts with him and Emma. But Breaking your opponents and keeping them broken is really the key to combat in Cold Steel 3.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Logicblade posted:

But Breaking your opponents and keeping them broken is really the key to combat in Cold Steel 3.

Definitely is but I was unable to even get started doing that, UNTIL FINALLY THIS 13TH TIME!

e: The fight that followed was beaten first try with no risk to any character's health. Encounter design and balance is 100% shot.

e: And the fight after that one too. Super simple. poo poo ain't right with the fight that troubled me.

e: And all the fights that came afterwards. Dirt simple. This is what I call garbage encounter design balance. Time to watch the ending.
I laughed. When is CS4 heading out localized and does that one get a proper ending instead of a quite shallow cliffhanger?

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 21, 2019

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Emma's order will completely negate McBurn's attacks same as last time, except for some reason his super move he always uses first turn and will probably kill three out of four people, but if you can come back from that it's pretty cake, I think just 200CP S-Crafted them to death same as everything else in the end sequence. And CS 1&2

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The only reason I, a master gamer, could ever have trouble with a fight is if it's badly designed.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Ghosts n Gopniks posted:

Emma's S-Break will block two attacks, having that in reserve for after they're low is pretty handy, since it'll completely negate the storm. Usually Altina's order is better, but there actually is a few places where you want Emma's. You should be able to use it at both the start and the end of that fight.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Isn't reloading boss fights to equip "immune to really-annoying-status" accessories standard for Trails games?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I thought it was just spamming delay

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I've never been failed in CS 1-3 by prioritizing speed. All the time in all forms and all characters. Got me through that particular fight without seeing them move.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Isn't reloading boss fights to equip "immune to really-annoying-status" accessories standard for Trails games?

Not if I can help it

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

buckle up for a lot of walking into boss fights and immediately getting mass confused in cs4

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

i only equip those on people i don't like because they don't make numbers go up for people i like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Snooze Cruise posted:

i only equip those on people i don't like because they don't make numbers go up for people i like

I equip those on people I do like because when I don't it can be the cause of one very important number going down very quickly.

(Also what's your avatar from?)