Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
No Monster gently caress this year :[

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

jeeves posted:

There's still time!!!!!

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Is there just no money in podcasts now? I saw that Lauren Lapkus has a Patreon now and things must be pretty dire if she needs that to continue doing them.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Just Chamber posted:

Is there just no money in podcasts now? I saw that Lauren Lapkus has a Patreon now and things must be pretty dire if she needs that to continue doing them.

Was there ever? I assumed most people did podcasts in the past to gain easy exposure but there was never any financial gain.

That said, I can''timeline things are that dire for Lapkus. She does have a lot of acting credits under her belt. Podcasts alone generate very little in ad revenue. I suppose that's why people are so blasé about them most of the time or conversely why a Squarespace ad goes on for five minutes. They pay so little that either people don't care or feel like they have to try harder to get the ads to work. I'm sure for Sean and Hayes the free ad driven version of HH doesn't mean much more than what they just get from the cut of Scripps subscriptions and Flagrant Ones Patreons. Same for Gabrus. They split those ad dollars anyway in the end. It's pocket money and not much of an incentive.

Sorry to rant.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

jeeves posted:

If it's any consolation, Wiger got monster hosed on the Thanksgiving episode of How Did This Get Played.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

If it's any consolation, Wiger got monster hosed on the Thanksgiving episode of How Did This Get Played.

True.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure Lapkus’s Patreon was made for her directing efforts, and began when she was trying to do her short film. The podcast rewards were incentive, not the main draw. But I could be mistaken.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'd be interested in finding out how much money like the Hollywood Handbook boys or Gabrus earn from their Earwolf, Stitcher Premium, and Patreon ventures. I presume that in that order there's a smaller audience but a bigger payout as more of the money goes directly to them. Obviously not something people are rushing to publicise though.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

the doughboys were making like 10k a month off their patreon last year i think

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

boxcarhobo posted:

the doughboys were making like 10k a month off their patreon last year i think

They’re at a minimum making $8k+ a month right now, but it could be up to $40k+ a month depending on how many $5 subscribers they have.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

They’re at a minimum making $8k+ a month right now, but it could be up to $40k+ a month depending on how many $5 subscribers they have.

i know they're probably like wildly more popular and took advantage of that model at the perfect time for them, so its not a great comparison to the stitcher guys and stuff i guess

but hot drat man good for wiges and mitch

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

jeeves posted:

Who cares about that, I miss my creeeepieeees :(

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

HH frequently takes about their contracts and they are paid a fee for doing their show, in addition to ad revenue. Sean once said it was enough to live on without doing anything else (or maybe the main version and the Pro version, idk) and so it has made him kinda lazy, but his wife is a lawyer I think and who knows what his lifestyle is.

However I believe Earwolf has been notorious for not paying guests

Also my educated opinion is that a lot of podcast networks are propped up with funny money like VC or debt fueled acquisitions that will dry up once capital becomes tighter and people no longer have easy money to support risky investments that turns out don’t actually make profit! So it is totally understandable for someone to try to create a new revenue stream that could be more stable.

Scott once talked about CBB the TV show actually never making money for IFC on an ad basis, but IFC could market it to cable providers as unique content that would drive subscriptions to the cable service, so it was something IFC felt they needed in their portfolio to get into Xfinity, Verizon, Dish, etc. Podcasts networks are doing the same

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 19, 2019

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Crazyweasel posted:

Scott once talked about CBB the TV show actually never making money for IFC on an ad basis, but IFC could market it to cable providers as unique content that would drive subscriptions to the cable service, so it was something IFC felt they needed in their portfolio to get into Xfinity, Verizon, Dish, etc. Podcasts networks are doing the same

Shouldn't have only advertised Sullivan's products in that case.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Chairman Capone posted:

Shouldn't have only advertised Sullivan's products in that case.

They did that one ad for VW.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Crazyweasel posted:

Sean once said it was enough to live on without doing anything else (or maybe the main version and the Pro version, idk) and so it has made him kinda lazy, but his wife is a lawyer I think and who knows what his lifestyle is.

on hashtagThe Flagrant Ones, the best sports podcast in the game, he mentioned he’s head writer I think for a basketball-involved comedy series steph curry is executive producing, also they pay their guests on F1s

It’s real good y’all, give The Boys and Carl your money

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Crazyweasel posted:

HH frequently takes about their contracts and they are paid a fee for doing their show, in addition to ad revenue. Sean once said it was enough to live on without doing anything else (or maybe the main version and the Pro version, idk) and so it has made him kinda lazy, but his wife is a lawyer I think and who knows what his lifestyle is.

Pretty sure he's mentioned she's a partner at her firm, so they're probably loaded.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

jeeves posted:

Maybe 2020 can be the year of the Monster Truck?

"I came home and heard my wife crying, it sounded like a car alarm because she is also a truck. I said listen up babe, why are you so sad? She said I am pregnant and also it's a monster...
Honk honk beep beep, toot toot.
Honk honk beep beep, fire bad!"

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
folgers

peter

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
when you put

gas

in the freezer

it

becomes

gelatinous

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Crazyweasel posted:

However I believe Earwolf has been notorious for not paying guests

Also my educated opinion is that a lot of podcast networks are propped up with funny money like VC or debt fueled acquisitions that will dry up once capital becomes tighter and people no longer have easy money to support risky investments that turns out don’t actually make profit! So it is totally understandable for someone to try to create a new revenue stream that could be more stable.

On HH they said the amount they made from the pod was (paraphrased) pretty good for a random guy on the street but chump change for Hollywood. My guess was something in the neighborhood of 60-80k, considering a staff writing job can be something like 5k/week.

I think going to Patreon is more an option to cut out the middle man, considering you can start a professional sounding podcast with a few hundred bucks worth of equipment. If you have an audience willing to pay it makes more sense than a studio getting a cut.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

i looked it up some time last week and the Flagrant Ones is making almost 18k a month already (gently caress yes GET IT BOYS YES)

so everyone should go give them more money because The Boys and Carl are cool and deserve it, and also basketball is the best sport in the world

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

When they get to Memphis Kansas Breeze, I hope they put in all performances, no matter what ep makes it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ll always love how the first episode they did the songs I was genuinely impressed with the harmonies, the fast switching back and forth etc which made it even funnier when the Xmas versions were such a mess.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

boxcarhobo posted:

i looked it up some time last week and the Flagrant Ones is making almost 18k a month already (gently caress yes GET IT BOYS YES)

so everyone should go give them more money because The Boys and Carl are cool and deserve it, and also basketball is the best sport in the world

poo poo I didn't realize Flagrant Ones had taken off like that. That's cool.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

SunshineDanceParty posted:

poo poo I didn't realize Flagrant Ones had taken off like that. That's cool.

I'm assuming that amount is why hayes is able to do this (well that and his wife selling multiple movie scripts)

https://twitter.com/hayesdavenport/status/1212099550271246341?s=20

the hayes man rules, also he's putting up his impressions and they are a+

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Looking forward to this one.
https://twitter.com/Elizamuffins/status/1212102418256797696

boxcarhobo posted:

the hayes man rules, also he's putting up his impressions and they are a+

Yeah that's a pretty big talent to be hiding in his back pocket this whole time.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 2, 2020

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I have a secret confession to make.

My favourite episodes are the year end best ofs with Scott and Paul......with the clips cut out so it's just them talking. I've listened to the day long supercut of all of the previous year best ofs more than once. It is my favourite part of this show and the only episodes I make sure to listen to every year.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like hearing their silly banter, but my favorite part is the behind the scenes tidbits they talk about when the episodes come up. Stuff like the OJ Simpson note saying specifically to forget he murdered people.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I'll be waiting for someone on Reddit to cut out all the clips so I can listen to it.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Speaking of Scott on Paul action, Threedom is really good and hits in the same way. I wasn't really feeling it for the first 10 or so episodes, but some time after that I really started liking it. I subscribe to stitcher premium just because I like listening to it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Yeah Threedom is basically what you want.

I haven't listened to a lot of it, but I like what I've heard. Also I like hearing about Scott's background since the guy has been incredibly successful with this little podcasting empire but obviously is still only marginally successful compared to what LA considers success.

Basically like millionaires wishing they were billionaires in stupid techbro parlance.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

piratepilates posted:

Speaking of Scott on Paul action, Threedom is really good and hits in the same way. I wasn't really feeling it for the first 10 or so episodes, but some time after that I really started liking it. I subscribe to stitcher premium just because I like listening to it.

Yeah Threedom is great. I just heard his gym trainer 9/11 story when he finally snapped and it was insane.

The capper of "I took him and his kid to Lion King" was somehow even stranger to me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is there much in the way of reasons to listen to the backlog of threedom (beyond it being funny, naturally)? I used to listen ages ago but now I’m in a place where I can get back into more podcasts as they come out and I presume I can just jump back in wherever?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is there much in the way of reasons to listen to the backlog of threedom (beyond it being funny, naturally)? I used to listen ages ago but now I’m in a place where I can get back into more podcasts as they come out and I presume I can just jump back in wherever?

If you don't listen in order, you won't know they're repeating a story when they repeat a story.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, I'll be waiting for someone on Reddit to cut out all the clips so I can listen to it.

Where can I find previous years of this? I haven't listened to the best ofs in quite a while, since at least the creation of Eddie Lee Capers.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Unfortunately you have to touch Reddit.

I think someone posted the one from last year here. Or maybe that was 2-5 years ago it all runs together :|

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I think I got the long supercut of the first few years [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Earwolf/comments/406ucl/i_had_such_a_great_response_to_my_post_where_i/]here], and then individual ones in the same post.

other people definitely made ones for the subsequent years, have to search in the subreddit for those.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I found last year's post that has links to the intervening years as well: https://www.reddit.com/r/Earwolf/comments/acj7a0/supercut_comedy_bang_bang_best_of_2018_scott_paul/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
TRUCK PROM DANCE
TRUCK PROM DANCE
TRUCK TRUCK PROM DAAAAANCE