Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Simplex posted:

I think Patricia mostly sucks, but the justification for firing him just isn't there.

......... absolutely dumbfounded by this statement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Scipiotik posted:

The justification for firing Patricia is that even when the team was good this year the defense that they spent all the money on was putrid.

It's important to remember that with the injuries on offense, Patricia was brought in as a defensive minded coach.

And the Lions defense is awful.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Has a defensive minded head coach that was brought in to improve the defense ever actually done it?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Zimmer.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

OxySnake posted:

It's important to remember that with the injuries on offense, Patricia was brought in as a defensive minded coach.

And the Lions defense is awful.

This stat is a little old now but still worth mentioning:
https://twitter.com/TJLang70/status/1196166321354018818

E: There's probably an interesting discussion to be had around how your offense suddenly getting neutered impacts your defensive performance (less time to rest between defensive series, playing defense from behind etc.) but even so this stat was almost entirely based on games with Stafford under center.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 18, 2019

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

C-Euro posted:

This stat is a little old now but still worth mentioning:
https://twitter.com/TJLang70/status/1196166321354018818

E: There's probably an interesting discussion to be had around how your offense suddenly getting neutered impacts your defensive performance (less time to rest between defensive series, playing defense from behind etc.) but even so this stat was almost entirely based on games with Stafford under center.

I don't know what the updated stats are for this year, but MN is something like 26-5 in games where the offense scores at least 21 points under Zimmer.

Patricia is the biggest fraud in Pro football coaching.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Has a defensive minded head coach that was brought in to improve the defense ever actually done it?

Pete Carroll?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

seiferguy posted:

Pete Carroll?

He was thought of more of a superstar who was evading college sanctions I think than brought in for that particular purpose.

Going back Belichick might count?

Oh god help me. Herm Edwards with the Chiefs. He did improve the defense, although he did it by giving the offense no chance to be successful. I mean, the offense probably wouldn't have been successful anyway, but still.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Zimmer is the answer(flores looks like he might become that if Miami gets him some talent) but I would like to shout out good hc marvin Lewis

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

even bill loving belichick's defenses are generally "eh, it's not the WORST in the league, i guess" and he was a defensive-minded coach

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

evilweasel posted:

even bill loving belichick's defenses are generally "eh, it's not the WORST in the league, i guess" and he was a defensive-minded coach
that's not really true, NE's defenses are almost always in the top 10 in points allowed and they've been absolutely elite for probably seven or eight years of this century

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Cross-post from the NFCN thread, Patricia will (hopefully) start out on the hot seat next year:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B6OXsZoHMZN/?igshid=16k2ucfc7hc4n

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Play posted:

......... absolutely dumbfounded by this statement

There's s quote about Peyton Manning that applies to the Lions situation as well. "If 18 goes down we're hosed and we don't practice hosed."

My feeling is that Detroit wouldn't be much better with a healthy Stafford, but that's opinion and conjecture. As it is firing a second year coach because he couldn't win with Jeff Driskel Ann's David Blough is a real bad look.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

How about firing him because he's a rapist... is that a bad look?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

After already keeping him for two years, probably yeah.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

You're going to fire him now for sexual assault allegations that became public 2 years ago?

Now that your career coaching record is 9-20-1 we've decided to take these allegations seriously.

Simplex fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 18, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Matt Patricia is a bad look.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mega64 posted:

Matt Patricia is a bad look.

Remember when Matt Patricia (Matt Patricia!) scolded a reporter over slouching?

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Play posted:

How about firing him because he's a rapist... is that a bad look?

I guess winning does cover a multitude of sins...

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I think the justification of "we brought in this person to get us from above average and into the playoffs consistently and they have managed to tank the team incredibly hard" is a pretty loving good one.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Patricia built a fort out of gatorade coolers and random sideline stuff in some game and it endeared him to me so I hope he stays forever and builds more forts

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Jeff Fisher

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

just dont look at what happened to the offense

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Simplex posted:

You're going to fire him now for sexual assault allegations that became public 2 years ago?

Now that your career coaching record is 9-20-1 we've decided to take these allegations seriously.

I feel like this is probably one of those "better late than never" things.

Parallelwoody posted:

I think the justification of "we brought in this person to get us from above average and into the playoffs consistently and they have managed to tank the team incredibly hard" is a pretty loving good one.

Yeah if you need a football justification, it's right there too. The Lions have been demonstrably worse since he became the head coach. I guess it takes 3 years to learn a lesson though

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1207451735805046784

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
every jags player is celebrating harder than a super bowl winner at this news

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Coughlin has a bad reputation of being very hateable. Michael Strahan is the only Giant I know of who said the team hated him till they collectively told him to back off.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Marvin, who a few years later was smart enough to hire Zimmer to make it even better.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Matt Patricia has no redeeming value. He sucks in every possible way

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

I loathe Patricia, but we can't scrub the Gatorade throne from the history books.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Recently I had the insane idea that, once the season is over, I should measure how good every team in the league is at 2 minute drill situations, just because I know the Lions suck at them and it would be more evidence that he should be fired

this man is literally driving me insane

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Tony Dungy.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/JeffDarlington/status/1207540091536756736?s=19

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Recently I had the insane idea that, once the season is over, I should measure how good every team in the league is at 2 minute drill situations, just because I know the Lions suck at them and it would be more evidence that he should be fired

this man is literally driving me insane

Everything ever written about how smart of a coach he is regards how he prepares for the 2min drill and situational football...

Yeah.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

He prepared only to hold a blank clipboard and sit occasionally in New England, still was terrible at that

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Coughlin might be the least deserving HC to win a SB, and somehow he did it twice.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

seiferguy posted:

Coughlin might be the least deserving HC to win a SB, and somehow he did it twice.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
How the gently caress do you justify giving this another year?

https://twitter.com/ByNateUlrich/status/1207722894576488449

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SI released a list of head coaching candidates: https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/12/17/nfl-head-coaching-candidates-to-watch

The list, but if you click the article there's brief analysis blurbs for each candidate.

quote:

• Robert Saleh, defensive coordinator, San Francisco 49ers
  • Eric Bieniemy, offensive coordinator, Kansas City Chiefs
  • Brian Daboll, offensive coordinator, Buffalo Bills
  • Greg Roman, offensive coordinator, Baltimore Ravens
  • Kevin Stefanski, offensive coordinator, Minnesota Vikings
  • Josh McDaniels, offensive coordinator, New England Patriots
  • Kellen Moore, offensive coordinator, Dallas Cowboys
  • Kris Richard, defensive passing game coordinator, Dallas Cowboys
  • Bret Bielema, defensive line coach, New England Patriots
  • Shane Waldron, passing game coordinator, Los Angeles Rams
  • Nick Sirianni, offensive coordinator, Indianapolis Colts
  • Dave Toub, special teams coordinator, Kansas City Chiefs
  • Mike Groh, offensive coordinator, Philadelphia Eagles;
  • Press Taylor, quarterbacks coach, Philadelphia Eagles
  • Mike Pettine, defensive coordinator, Green Bay Packers

• Mike McCarthy, former head coach, Green Bay Packers
  • Ron Rivera, former head coach, Carolina Panthers
  • Mike McDaniel, run game coordinator, San Francisco 49ers
  • Byron Leftwich, offensive coordinator, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
  • Mike Kafka, quarterbacks coach, Kansas City Chiefs
  • Leslie Frazier, defensive coordinator, Buffalo Bills
  • Lincoln Riley, head coach, Oklahoma
  • Matt Rhule, head coach, Baylor
  • Urban Meyer, former head coach, Ohio State
  • Dan Mullen, head coach, University of Florida

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Ches Neckbeard posted:

How the gently caress do you justify giving this another year?

https://twitter.com/ByNateUlrich/status/1207722894576488449

We have to be leading the league in illegal shifta