Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Zoran posted:

Lucas himself admits he's not an actor's director and he has little talent for dialogue. He always loved editing
I’m glad he can admit he’s awful at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Pollyanna posted:

Were they seriously going to do 3 different directors for a trilogy? I mean, good thing it’s Disney that proved it was a bad idea, but god drat.

I mean...maybe this is the joke...but you do know who directed the OT, right?

This is probably the joke.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

This is scored lower on rotten tomatoes than attack of the clones.

That's an achievement

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Zoran posted:

Lucas himself admits he's not an actor's director and he has little talent for dialogue. He always loved editing

He also purposely pursued a muted effect from the actors for much of the PT as a genre convention. Obviously not applied to highly emotional scenes

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Disney sounds like they don’t know what they’re doing and lucked out on Avengers. Or just bought Marvel.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The prequels were kind of stupid fun to rag on but the ST is just loathsome trash I can't even be bothered to hate properly. loving lol Disney.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

thrawn527 posted:

I mean...maybe this is the joke...but you do know who directed the OT, right?

This is probably the joke.

Oh right, someone else did ESB. I forgot.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
It was so prescient when Disney made the new villain represent the people who did bad things after the first movie of the new trilogy was out. And losers on the internet being mean to celebrities is such a timeless theme to base your new trilogy on.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Pollyanna posted:

Oh right, someone else did ESB. I forgot.

And someone different directed ROTJ.

Maybe this wasn't the joke. 3 different directors directed the OT.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lucas directed a lot of rotj and had absolute final creative control over everything so it’s not quite the same

Or not ESB since it was studio financed ? I don’t remember clearly

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

euphronius posted:

Lucas directed a lot of rotj and had absolute final creative control over everything so it’s not quite the same

Or not ESB since it was studio financed ? I don’t remember clearly

That's never really been proven, though I'd certainly believe it. I'd totally buy the person who directed the Ewok scenes was a different person than the one who directed Throne Room scenes.

He did have complete creative control, don't get me wrong, it's absolutely not the same thing. I just couldn't let a post complaining about 3 different directors for a Star Wars trilogy being a bad idea go unnoticed. It was just funny to me.

edit: For ESB he had control over the story, but was largely hands off for the direction. I remember reading a story about him visiting the Dagobah set once and getting furious Kershner was going so far over budget and deadline to film the scene where Yoda lifts the X-Wing out of the swamp. He couldn't understand why Kersh wouldn't just go with a shot that was "good enough".

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 18, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This I did not know and/or totally forgot about. I guess this trilogy was just super cursed.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

theblackw0lf posted:

Abrams came in late and had very little time to write a script, as Disney for baffling reasons refused to move the deadline much.

It's hard for me to be too upset at him.

I literally could have written a better script than he did given the same amount of time and I don't even know how to format a movie script

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Esb is the real stand out. Lucas hates ESB lmao.

Again tho I think he lost financial control a bit for that film

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thrawn: I think there is “who directed what in ROTJ” info in the audio commentary from Lucas on the dvd. One of the dvds. My wine-soaked brain can’t remember specifics

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

romanowski posted:

make david lynch do a star war

No!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Pirate Jet posted:

Do you guys like to think about how The Book of Henry started a chain reaction that tipped over one of the biggest franchises of all time?

Plz explain?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Disney had an opportunity to move things forward for maybe a decade of Star Wars after what the TLJ set up. They should have been kissing Johnson's feet. Instead they hosed it because they're chickenshit, and have probably killed off the franchise in the short term.

There will be a reboot of ANH in 2030.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

dex_sda posted:

It's that whole dumb prequel stuff about creating beings in the force and virgin birth poo poo yea

this is idiotic as gently caress

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

euphronius posted:

Esb is the real stand out. Lucas hates ESB lmao.

Again tho I think he lost financial control a bit for that film

I've read the opposite, actually. That he poured so much of his own money into ESB that the reason he was so pissed at Kershner was that when he went over budget and passed deadlines, Lucas was risking being financially ruined if the movie didn't do well. Which is why he hired a director for ROTJ whom he could control easier, and wrapped all of his Episode 6-9 plans into just one more movie to cash out.

This is largely from the book The Secret History of Star Wars by Michael Kaminski, which I will never stop recommending, because it's insanely well researched, if rather amateurishly written, as it was his first (and only) book.

euphronius posted:

Thrawn: I think there is “who directed what in ROTJ” info in the audio commentary from Lucas on the dvd. One of the dvds. My wine-soaked brain can’t remember specifics

Well I'll have to check that out, because that sounds fascinating. I've never really been into commentaries, so I've never listened to these.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 18, 2019

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Necrothatcher posted:

Disney had an opportunity to move things forward for maybe a decade of Star Wars after what the TLJ set up. They should have been kissing Johnson's feet. Instead they hosed it because they're chickenshit, and have probably killed off the franchise in the short term.

they were so eager to roll back TLJ that they started before the movie was even over

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You are right thrawn I got it backwards. Esb was the studio breakout.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Rian Johnson: hey fuckos, here's a future for star wars without having to rely on actors in their 60s and 70s and aging boomer audiences

Disney: lol, gently caress off

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Plz explain?

Trevorrow was going to do episode 9 until the book of Henry came out and was an infamous turd of a film

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Brother Entropy posted:

Trevorrow was going to do episode 9 until the book of Henry came out and was an infamous turd of a film

hosed up thing is it's a more watchable movie than Jurassic World

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Necrothatcher posted:

Rian Johnson: hey fuckos, here's a future for star wars without having to rely on actors in their 60s and 70s and aging boomer audiences

Disney: lol, gently caress off

I was lukewarm on TLJ, but freaking out and trying to make your gigantic franchise do a 180 in time for Christmas 2019 because it maybe made 1% less than the quadrillion dollars you hoped for and some nerds got mad is just repeating the Justice League disaster all over again.

They either had to just lean into that poo poo, or give themselves more time to write themselves out of the corner and make a dull Marvel's Glowstick Space Avengers movie that would go down smooth with audiences.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Necrothatcher posted:

Just curious since I came to talk about this very subject- if TLJ had been more of a consensus success (as far as fan reception), what would've been the logical extension of its story into the third movie? I don't hate Last Jedi, and I think in a lot of ways it did its best with the bad hand TFA dealt it, but it does seem like it really burned the bridge behind it. It's explicitly about the circular nature (and overall futility of) Star Wars- the galaxy is always going to be that lightsaber, caught in the balance between light and dark, repeatedly broken and then re-mended. The protagonists identify this, but come to the conclusion that better things aren't possible. The end. Where can you go from there?

General Dog fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 18, 2019

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Can you imagine going to see this movie without reading the spoilers lol. I would probably be very upset. Now I just get to laugh while watching the worst Star Wars lol

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

romanowski posted:

make david lynch do a star war

Last time he considered it he got a splitting headache while Lucas tried to explain what a wookiee was

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

sean10mm posted:

They either had to just lean into that poo poo

That ship sailed with the tacked-on garbage TLJ had at the end.

quote:

or give themselves more time to write themselves out of the corner and make a dull Marvel's Glowstick Space Avengers movie that would go down smooth with audiences.

:lol: this is disney they consider that money rightfully theirs

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What if they thought it was an irredeemable model and they needed to get as much as they could and end the trilogy model and reset for a new set of movies in .. 4 years ? Nothing is filming atm

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Can you imagine going to see this movie without reading the spoilers lol. I would probably be very upset. Now I just get to laugh while watching the worst Star Wars lol

This is why I’m going to see it anyway. I want to see the looks on people’s faces.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

General Dog posted:

Just curious since I came to talk about this very subject- if TLJ had been more of a consensus success (as far as fan reception), what would've been the logical extension of its story into the third movie? I don't hate Last Jedi, and I think in a lot of ways it did its best with the bad hand TFA dealt it, but it does seem like it really burned the bridge behind it. It's explicitly about the circular nature (and overall futility of) Star Wars- the galaxy is always going to be that lightsaber, repeatedly torn in half between light and dark and then re-mended. The protagonists identify this, but come to the conclusion that better things aren't possible. The end. Where can you go from there?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thesis,_antithesis,_synthesis

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

If you think giving Favreau the reins is gonna save star wars then you have learned exactly the wrong lesson from all this

The Lion King proves Favreau is a lovely yes man and giving him the franchise would only make things worse.

The fact that he made Cook to criticize critics because they rightfully criticized a film of his kind of displays how childish his mentality is.

People with egos that are this easily bruised should not be working on Star Wars.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

what han didnt die or harrison didnt give a gently caress to do whatever it was needed to do ghost han?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Is there any reason to think it's not just benjamin renjamin having a hallucination

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

thrawn527 posted:

I've read the opposite, actually. That he poured so much of his own money into ESB that the reason he was so pissed at Kershner was that when he went over budget and passed deadlines, Lucas was risking being financially ruined if the movie didn't do well. Which is why he hired a director for ROTJ whom he could control easier, and wrapped all of his Episode 6-9 plans into just one more movie to cash out.

I had always thought the major falling out was between Lucas and his producer, Gary Kurtz—the guy who was actually responsible for making sure things got done on time and on budget.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Zeta Acosta posted:

what han didnt die or harrison didnt give a gently caress to do whatever it was needed to do ghost han?

the latter, it was panic booking after carrie fischer died.

his respect for her plus a dump truck full of money probably got him in to do a minute long scene

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

Mat Cauthon posted:

Too bad it's gonna happen anyway. Especially if they do a Mandalorian movie and it does well.

Favreau is competent, can get poo poo done under budget, works well with Feige, and has enough experience with the MCU wrangling that he can probably push back on the stupider executive requirements and get a bit more breathing room to do his thing. Whether or not whatever story he ends up going with will be engaging or entertaining or at least better than the mess the sequels turned out to be...well, he can't really do that much worse.

It would be really loving boring and it could do much worse.

This movie may suck but at least it's loving interesting in how much it sucks.

Favreau would turn all the Star Wars film into Iron Man 2's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zeta Acosta posted:

han's not a jedi so he can't be a force ghost

but apparently being a normal ghost is still on the table